ADVERTISEMENT

Who hates Iowa? Devyn Marble.

Love the Marbles, but I think this is poor form. Roy didn’t get his jersey retired because he wasn’t even the best player in his class and probably not in (my) top 15 players all time. I loved Devyn’s game too, probably more than Roy’s. No one has disrespected them.

C'mon, which 15 players at Iowa were better than Roy Marble?

I get the family comment within his tweet, but how has the University disrespected him? Unless he is tying the retirement of his dad's jersey as a targeted disrespect to him personally. Did they not return his phone calls?

I know. Perhaps there needs to be clear standards for basketball if that hasn't been established already.

We can start with don't beat up women. If you do beat up women your jersey won't be retired. If your jersey has been retired and you best up women we are going to unretire it. We don't honor people that beat up women.

We pulled Steve Wynn s name off the eye program at Iowa a few years back for his treatment of women. He gave the program millions and millions of dollars. Took his name off.

Reactions: WadeWilson

It's a pretty long list when you look at achievements both on and off the court,... Face it, Roy had a lot of issues that weren't related to his basketball game...

Agreed. If you are creating a roster of all time greats Roy is on that team. He was amazing at his first step off the dribble, no one could contain him. Then by his senior year he added a consistent jump shot to his game.

Reactions: LarryStation
There were nine retired numbers before Luka. 3 were from the fabulous 5, more than half are black (so no one can make that an issue). BJ is one, so obviously "intangibles" played into why Roy didn't get one. The last one was Chris Street (although I don't know when they actually retired the numbers). If Devyn is pissed off, he should have been decades ago, not now

Reactions: Old_wrestling_fan
Damned if you do damned if you don't... Dev probably just shat any chance of them retiring his number now. Not a good decision imo.

We can start with don't beat up women. If you do beat up women your jersey won't be retired. If your jersey has been retired and you best up women we are going to unretire it. We don't honor people that beat up women.

We pulled Steve Wynn s name off the eye program at Iowa a few years back for his treatment of women. He gave the program millions and millions of dollars. Took his name off.

That's fine, but then why have the ceremony to honor him? If his sins are that egregious, there should have been no ceremony.

Iowa also had no problem overlooking Roy's sins while he was at Iowa racking up points, right?

Again, I don't agree with using social media to air out grievances. Devyn is obviously sensitive about his father, and after losing him to cancer at an early age I understand it, even if I don't agree with the platform he used. Still, Roy Marble, sins and all, is one of the best to ever wear the Hawkeye jersey. Let him rest in peace. There's no reason to continue raking him over the coals.

June, 2014: Charged with domestic abuse

March 7, 2015: Roy honored at halftime at CHA

September 11, 2015: Roy passes away

Here is the June, 2014 story from the Gazette:

Former Hawkeye Roy Marble accused of domestic abuse

Mon., June 09, 2014

Former Hawkeye Basketball player Roy Lane Marble has been accused of domestic abuse assault, according to Linn County court documents.

Marble, 47, of 2416 Linwood Drive SW, is accused of strangling a person he lives with on June 7 while at his Cedar Rapids home, according to a criminal complaint filed by the Linn County Attorney's office.

Marble was released on recognizance after making an initial appearance Saturday, online court records show.

An arraignment was set for July 17 and Marble was ordered to have no contact with the alleged victim, court records show.

He has been arrested in Linn County several times over the last eight years.

Marble is the leading scorer in Iowa basketball history, scoring 2,116 points from 1985 to 1989. His son, Devyn, graduated from the University of Iowa this year after earning First Team All-Big Ten honors as a senior guard.

UPDATE (7:19 p.m.): Marble has denied the accusations on Twitter.

BTW, if not already posted - "The decision to retire numbers or jerseys rests in the hands of a committee that includes coaches, the athletic director, the media relations director and the Varsity Club"

June, 2014: Charged with domestic abuse

March 7, 2015: Roy honored at halftime at CHA

September 11, 2015: Roy passes away

Here is the June, 2014 story from the Gazette:

Former Hawkeye Roy Marble accused of domestic abuse

Mon., June 09, 2014

Former Hawkeye Basketball player Roy Lane Marble has been accused of domestic abuse assault, according to Linn County court documents.

Marble, 47, of 2416 Linwood Drive SW, is accused of strangling a person he lives with on June 7 while at his Cedar Rapids home, according to a criminal complaint filed by the Linn County Attorney's office.

Marble was released on recognizance after making an initial appearance Saturday, online court records show.

An arraignment was set for July 17 and Marble was ordered to have no contact with the alleged victim, court records show.

He has been arrested in Linn County several times over the last eight years.

Marble is the leading scorer in Iowa basketball history, scoring 2,116 points from 1985 to 1989. His son, Devyn, graduated from the University of Iowa this year after earning First Team All-Big Ten honors as a senior guard.

UPDATE (7:19 p.m.): Marble has denied the accusations on Twitter.

Let the man RIP. Jeezus.

Should Iowa retire Bohannon’s number, too? Iowa career assist leader, Iowa career three pointers made leader. Potentially B1G career leader in three pointers made (20 away) and potentially Top 10 career points (18 away) at Iowa. I mean it’s subjective and all, but those are pretty good stats.

I have no idea about what he went through outside of basketball. It is sad and disturbing that all that stuff happened. I will say that on the court...he was one of the best to ever wear a Hawk uniform. Not quite Luka great....but Great none the less.

Should Iowa retire Bohannon’s number, too? Iowa career assist leader, Iowa career three pointers made leader. Potentially B1G career leader in three pointers made (20 away) and potentially Top 10 career points (18 away) at Iowa. I mean it’s subjective and all, but those are pretty good stats.
Pretty sure from a pure stat perspective it would be a pretty good argument to make!

Should go without saying that no one condones domestic violence, but how can that arrest be an argument against retiring Marble's number when he was recognized in a weird ceremony not a year after his DV arrest? If Iowa was willing to publicly recognize Marble then they felt comfortable enough for any potential PR blowback, or perhaps even looked into the arrest charges (certainly possible the Barta-led department did no such vetting but who knows).

Simply put, Iowa cannot use the DV as an excuse to not recognize his number retirement when they recognized him at a less than stellar ceremony just after his arrest. For the Marble family, all out blocking Marble from the Iowa program is not as bad as the half measure Iowa took in 2015.

Reactions: BlackNGoldBleeder
Should go without saying that no one condones domestic violence, but how can that arrest be an argument against retiring Marble's number when he was recognized in a weird ceremony not a year after his DV arrest? If Iowa was willing to publicly recognize Marble then they felt comfortable enough for any potential PR blowback, or perhaps even looked into the arrest charges (certainly possible the Barta-led department did no such vetting but who knows).

Simply put, Iowa cannot use the DV as an excuse to not recognize his number retirement when they recognized him at a less than stellar ceremony just after his arrest. For the Marble family, all out blocking Marble from the Iowa program is not as bad as the half measure Iowa took in 2015.
you really dont see the difference between a one time ceremony to honor him, and retiring his jersey permanently?

That's fine, but then why have the ceremony to honor him? If his sins are that egregious, there should have been no ceremony.

Iowa also had no problem overlooking Roy's sins while he was at Iowa racking up points, right?

Again, I don't agree with using social media to air out grievances. Devyn is obviously sensitive about his father, and after losing him to cancer at an early age I understand it, even if I don't agree with the platform he used. Still, Roy Marble, sins and all, is one of the best to ever wear the Hawkeye jersey. Let him rest in peace. There's no reason to continue raking him over the coals.
honestly, i think the CHA thing was simply a celebration of his life (with all the warts) and an opportunity to allow Hawk fans to stand and cheer for Roy (and thank him) one last time, Sure, it was awkward, but it also showed some compassion to a dying man.

So, Iowa went that far, but that was as far as they would go in honoring him.

Retire his jersey & raise it to the rafters? That obviously was not gonna happen

And there are a lot of players over time who have gotten into trouble during their playing days where the university did not automatically kick them off the team. In Roy's case, the UI got Roy the help he needed and allowed him to remain on the team; keeping him on the team, surrounded by coaches & teammates, was a lot better for him than kicking him off. But, even though Roy was racking up points, that does not mean the UI owes him anything beyond the help & the education they provided him.

And I don't think anybody is trying to rake Roy over the coals. I think people are just trying to explain why Roy's # was never retired. Simple as that. And unfortunately, Dev's tweet re-opened the can of worms, which means we have to rehash all of Roy's warts to explain why the UI never retired his #

I was kidding and just now saw the thread on it.
I understand but assist and 3 point leader, top 10 in points scored, and has to be among the leaders in games played. Top 10 in free throw percentage? Those are objective. Then you could make the subjective claim he may be one of the best shooters in program history. Clutch player - absolutely. Flaws - of course. At the very least it is a fair discussion.

I'm just gonna say this and then I'm done...if we are just talking about what they did on the court in a Hawkeye uniform, Roy Marble would be on any list of all time greats. In fact, the only player that I can honestly say would have been better over my 55+ years of observing Hawkeye Basketball is Luka Garza.

honestly, i think the CHA thing was simply a celebration of his life (with all the warts) and an opportunity to allow Hawk fans to stand and cheer for Roy (and thank him) one last time, Sure, it was awkward, but it also showed some compassion to a dying man.

So, Iowa went that far, but that was as far as they would go in honoring him.

Retire his jersey & raise it to the rafters? That obviously was not gonna happen

And there are a lot of players over time who have gotten into trouble during their playing days where the university did not automatically kick them off the team. In Roy's case, the UI got Roy the help he needed and allowed him to remain on the team; keeping him on the team, surrounded by coaches & teammates, was a lot better for him than kicking him off. But, even though Roy was racking up points, that does not mean the UI owes him anything beyond the help & the education they provided him.

And I don't think anybody is trying to rake Roy over the coals. I think people are just trying to explain why Roy's # was never retired. Simple as that. And unfortunately, Dev's tweet re-opened the can of worms, which means we have to rehash all of Roy's warts to explain why the UI never retired his #

No, I disagree, because it sounds like everyone is just speculating that's the reason his number hasn't been retired. If Barta or whoever issues a statement that Roy's personal problems are the reason his number wasn't retired, then so be it. But until then, everyone racing to crucify Roy Marble on an anonymous message board are doing so based off assumption.

Don't agree with the out lash by Dev but I do understand his frustrations. Roy's number at Iowa deserved to be retired long ago and now that he has passed and his record has been passed it is unlikely to ever happen.

I'd be pissed too if that was my dad who wasn't being honored in a way he should be.

Again, Dev opened the can of worms. It's too bad Dev does not allow Roy and this issue to rest.

Nothing personal, Fran, but get over yourself. Devyn shouldn't have tweeted what he did. I'm guessing he is probably still grieving his father. That still shouldn't give Iowa "fans" license to excoriate one of their all-time greats who was laid to rest six years ago.

Of course there's a difference. But the point still stands. If his sins were that egregious, then there shouldn't have been a ceremony at all.
Again, the CHA thing was clearly the UI showing some compassion and it was a celebration of Roy while he was still with us. It gave fans in attendance a chance to stand and cheer if they desired.

The UI was willing to go that far, but that far only.

Its not that complicated.

Nothing personal, Fran, but get over yourself. Devyn shouldn't have tweeted what he did. I'm guessing he is probably still grieving his father. That still shouldn't give Iowa "fans" license to excoriate one of their all-time greats who was laid to rest six years ago.
Welcome to 2021 and social media. Pretty sure Iowa fans aren't quite over their football program being raked over the coals for what ended up being many half truths and false takes. If you don't like it, don't put yourself in the position to be critiqued.

Reactions: TritonHawkeye
If Pierre Pierce had Marbles stats would anyone be calling to retire his number or jersey?

Let the man RIP? Devyn should have followed that advice before trying to tarnish Lukas accomplishments and linking his father to the UI honoring Luka.

Again, the CHA thing was clearly the UI showing some compassion and it was a celebration of Roy while he was still with us. It gave fans in attendance a chance to stand and cheer if they desired.

The UI was willing to go that far, but that far only.

Its not that complicated.

Fran, quit acting like you know everything. You don't. You are assuming like anyone else. Your virtue signaling, pearl clutching shtick is old. Again, get over yourself.

With fans like this, it makes you wonder who in their right mind would want to come play for Iowa. Fans are treating Roy Marble like he's Aaron Hernandez.

Yeah...I do not understand why people are lashing out at Dev for this. I get the desire to want to "protect the ship" but Dev did nothing but represent the program with class while he was here and it is obvious we are seeing a son who is still grieving his father. FFS people, dude is hurting (totally understandable) and is still a youngish guy and frankly his dad's number should have been retired years ago before he passed.

Instead the leadership at the university decided to not take that opportunity when it was obvious that Roy didn't have much time left, I would be pissed too.

Now that he isn't the all time scoring leader it likely never happens, what a shame.

If Pierre Pierce had Marbles stays would anyone be calling to retire his number or jersey?

Let the man RIP? Devyn should have followed that advice before trying to tarnish Lukas accomplishments and linking his father to the UI honoring Luka.

Yes, what Devyn did was stupid. That doesn't give license to so-called Iowa fans to further attack one of their all-time greats who was laid to rest six years ago. JFC Iowa has some really shitty fans.

We just need to sit and wait. I doubt it’s anything to do with Fran, since he loves Dev and he’s never said anything negative about him from what I can remember. I imagine he’s upset over the Jersey retirement, which is kind of petty. Let’s watch it play out. And for anyone on here that has gone on Devs Twitter and trashed him, seek help. That is sick, and not at all ok.

Welcome to 2021 and social media. Pretty sure Iowa fans aren't quite over their football program being raked over the coals for what ended up being many half truths and false takes. If you don't like it, don't put yourself in the position to be critiqued.

Right, someone else's bad behavior justifies my own. Person responsibility, as usual, is a matter of convenience.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT