ADVERTISEMENT

Who hates Iowa? Devyn Marble.

Evidently Devyn didn't do any historical research from his dads playing days.
Let me list Roy's accomplishments at Iowa in his four years playing for Iowa.
1. Roy never made consensus 1st team All-American in any of his 4 years at Iowa.
2. Roy never made Big Ten Player of the Year in any of his 4 years at Iowa.
3. Roy didn't even made 1st team All Big Ten in any of his 4 years at Iowa.
4. Roy didn't lead Iowa to any final four in his 4 years at Iowa.
What he did do was finish his four years as the all time leading scorer when he finished his 4 years at Iowa.
Was there a precedence for retiring his number....yes previously Iowa had retired Greg Stokes #41 as the all time leading scorer when he was finished at Iowa as well as Ronnie Lester's number when he finished he time at Iowa. I don't know when each of those 2 had their numbers retired but they were retired none the less. Next...

Last edited:
Reactions: Mohawkeye
Yes, what Devyn did was stupid. That doesn't give license to so-called Iowa fans to further attack one of their all-time greats who was laid to rest six years ago. JFC Iowa has some really shitty fans.

Attack or state facts? Curious why stating facts is deemed an attack?

Whether you like it or not Devyn maligned the UI as having mistreated his family by not retiring his father's jersey or number. He tarnished Luka and the UI for honoring Lukas accomplishments. He is attempting to use Lukas accomplishments to establish a platform for his father and is supposed to be above reproach evidently.

Why?

Roy Marble is not someone the UI should honor in a permanent way.

We just need to sit and wait. I doubt it’s anything to do with Fran, since he loves Dev and he’s never said anything negative about him from what I can remember. I imagine he’s upset over the Jersey retirement, which is kind of petty. Let’s watch it play out. And for anyone on here that has gone on Devs Twitter and trashed him, seek help. That is sick, and not at all ok.

This thread is pretty bad. I can't believe the number of Iowa fans racing to pass judgment again on one of their all-time greats. It's pretty disappointing.

I'm out.

Nothing personal, Fran, but get over yourself. Devyn shouldn't have tweeted what he did. I'm guessing he is probably still grieving his father. That still shouldn't give Iowa "fans" license to excoriate one of their all-time greats who was laid to rest six years ago.

Well, he did tweet what he did and it opened a huge ass can of worms and this huge ass thread.

People now are SIMPLY discussing why Roy's # never got retired. So, nothing personal, but you really need to get over yourself.

And you would think it would be apparent to Dev why Roy's # never was retired. IF NOT, he should go to the people who made the decision or he should go to Gary Barta. Going to Twitter was selfish & it was stupid and it created this unfortunate, open discussion.

Not at all. Luka is maybe the most decorated Hawkeye basketball player since what the early 70's? When has Iowa had a 2 time 1st team all American and most likely player of the year?

This has nothing to do with race.

If it becomes a story then Iowa shouldn't hold back on the reasons they didn't retire his number. Love Roy the player, not sure if everyone will say the same for the man.
Exactly. Roy was not a 2x consensus All-American or National Player of the Year (which it is assumed Luka will be).

This thread is pretty bad. I can't believe the number of Iowa fans racing to pass judgment again on one of their all-time greats. It's pretty disappointing.

I'm out.

Racing to pass judgement occurs when people don’t know the facts and spout off about hypotheticals and what ifs. Everything being stated today is a known quantity. Whether his number should be retired or not? That’s up to the U of I.

Fran, quit acting like you know everything. You don't. You are assuming like anyone else. Your virtue signaling, pearl clutching shtick is old. Again, get over yourself.
Good lord, what is wrong w/ you this morning?

Are you gonna do something stupid again and get banned like what happened recently?

How long were you put on time out before you came back?

And you want me to get over myself.

Man, you are one bi-polar dude!

Reactions: iahawks10
C'mon, which 15 players at Iowa were better than Roy Marble?
1. Luka Garza
2. Ronnie Lester
3. Don Nelson
4. Johnny Johnson
5. Freddy Brown
6. Andre Woolridge
7. B.J. Armstrong
8. Aaron White
9. Acie Earl
10. Bruce King
11. Kevin Kunnert
12. Devyn Marble
13. Greg Stokes
14. Peter Jok
15. Carl Cain

Roy Marble never even made 1st team all Big. He was a very steady scorer for 4 years, but all of the above players were better as seniors.

I’ve changed my opinion on this issue a little after learning that there were recent domestic abuse allegations against Roy as late as 2014. I can see why that puts the university in a tough spot. I still would have voted to retire the jersey if it was me but I can see how that would make some on the committee hesitant. The #metoo movement got started not long after that and I could imagine a scenario where the university would have taken some heat with that.

Exactly. Roy was not a 2x consensus All-American or National Player of the Year (which it is assumed Luka will be).
If the standard is you have to be as good as Luka to get your number retired than we would have extremely few numbers retired. As others have pointed out, we have multiple other numbers retired from playing careers that were nowhere near these accolades either.

Yeah...I do not understand why people are lashing out at Dev for this. I get the desire to want to "protect the ship" but Dev did nothing but represent the program with class while he was here and it is obvious we are seeing a son who is still grieving his father. FFS people, dude is hurting (totally understandable) and is still a youngish guy and frankly his dad's number should have been retired years ago before he passed.

Instead the leadership at the university decided to not take that opportunity when it was obvious that Roy didn't have much time left, I would be pissed too.

Now that he isn't the all time scoring leader it likely never happens, what a shame.
Who's attacking Dev? All I see is posters saying he should not have taken his issue to Twitter. And those people would be right. Agreed?

And why SHOULD Roy's number been retired years ago?? Why do you think it is such an EASY decision? Just because he was the all time leading scorer? Well, the people at the UI making the decision did not feel it was the right thing to do 32 years ago and they feel the same way now.

Reactions: WadeWilson
If the standard is you have to be as good as Luka to get your number retired than we would have extremely few numbers retired. As others have pointed out, we have multiple other numbers retired from playing careers that were nowhere near these accolades either.
The standard is be an all time great player and don't do things that could embarrass the University. It really isn't more difficult than that. We can parse whether some of the players honored shouldn't have received the honor or even look at some that should have but it becomes an impossible sell if doing it embarrasses the University.

Roy had all kinds of problems while a player and those problems didn't ever get better. He literally never got better with substance abuse or with his legal troubles. I am certain there are people that would be willing to overlook or forgive substance abuse especially at the end of his life bit those other legal issues? Not likely

Who's attacking Dev? All I see is posters saying he should not have taken his issue to Twitter. And those people would be right. Agreed?

And why SHOULD Roy's number been retired years ago?? Why do you think it is such an EASY decision? Just because he was the all time leading scorer? Well, the people at the UI making the decision did not feel it was the right thing to do 32 years ago and they feel the same way now.

The fact that his scoring title held for 32 years is all I need to know. Those people made the wrong decision then and continue to do so today.

Reactions: anon_b29nm7v7dwp6r
Once you can come to the realization Devyn Marble wouldn't have said anything at all if Luka Garza was black..... you can stop wasting time thinking about this or giving it any attention at all.

Believe it or not Fran, Devyn has a lot of fans, myself included, who have wondered why he has had nothing to say or no involvement in the Iowa basketball program basically since he left. One fan asked him a question on Twitter, Dev addressed it, and moved on. He was back to talking about football/rap within the hour. He didn’t respond to or like any tweets, he didn’t badmouth anybody, he answered a question and moved on. It is only Iowa fans blowing it up into a big deal and showing Devyn vitriol here and on Twitter

Iowa has (now) 9 numbers retired and 1 jersey.
5 of the numbers were starters on back-to-back final four teams in the 50s, 1 was 1st team all-B1G twice and 2nd once, another 1st once and 2nd twice. All of them were at least 2nd team all B1G in 1955. I guess I have no problem honoring them all I guess.

Ronnie Lester was 1st team AA twice and 1st team all b1g 3 times. Iowa possibly wins national title if he doesn't get hurt during the final four. No brainer in my mind.

Greg Stokes, never made an AA team, 1 1st team and 2 2nd team All B1G. left as all time leading scorer. Seems iffy in my mind unless scoring is your requirement.

Chris Street - never even 3rd team all B1G in first two years, but potentially 2 time AA if he doesn't pass away. Seems like a no brainer, and goes along with Football retired numbers.

Luka Garza, most likely two time NPOY by several organizations, two time consensus AA, two time BTPOY. Biggest lock in my mind to have # retired.

Again, it would be good if they would come up with a standard to honor basketball players on a 'wall' somewhere like football has, because it seems like there are several players more deserving of the honor than some that have been honored already, recently and in the past.
Wier and Darling as consensus AA should be there.
Multiple time 1st time All B1G should be honored. that adds Wilkinson, Don Nelson, Sam Williams, Woolridge to the list

Believe it or not Fran, Devyn has a lot of fans, myself included, who have wondered why he has had nothing to say or no involvement in the Iowa basketball program basically since he left. One fan asked him a question on Twitter, Dev addressed it, and moved on. He was back to talking about football/rap within the hour. He didn’t respond to or like any tweets, he didn’t badmouth anybody, he answered a question and moved on. It is only Iowa fans blowing it up into a big deal and showing Devyn vitriol here and on Twitter
yep....it’s becoming apparent we have a large fan segment that is on the “shut up and dribble” Bandwagon.

Personally I don't care if RM was or was not 1st team All-American, etc. IMO it matters less how he compares to players of other programs or where he rated nationally or even within the Big Ten, and much more on where does he rank all time in terms of IOWA's program. How does he compare to Lester, BJ, etc. The off-court issues he had can't be totally ignored, either, IMO.

Me? I feel his jersey should have at least been retired if you weren't going to retire the number.

As for that ceremony they had for Roy - it was weak. What was that jersey they gave him, some leftover #23 from the Lickliter era that they dug out of a storage closet? Was it too much effort to have someone create a custom #23 jersey that looked like one he wore from the late 80's? I feel like a minimum of effort was put into the whole thing.

Last edited:
Gary Barta and Fran McCaffery had zero to do with this whole unwarranted attack on the University, but if Barta wants to right a wrong that some on here feel has been long since ignored, Barta could retire the jersey the same way Iowa did with B.J.

Barta has to own the 2015 ceremony, which he had with Roy nearing the end without bothering to retire the jersey. Iowa should have done something long before 2015, but he had the chance to right a wrong and he opted not to.

Barta has to own the 2015 ceremony, which he had with Roy nearing the end without bothering to retire the jersey. Iowa should have done something long before 2015, but he had the chance to right a wrong and he opted not to.
Many things transpired after Roy's playing days. These are facts. The university chose not to retire the jersey. Move on.

Dev should have never tweeted what he tweeted. He sounds grossly immature and selfish. Fran, Luka & this team SHOULD HAVE NOTHING to do w/ his issues w/ the UI administration, but he's never going to watch them? He's never going to congratulate Luka on his accomplishments? Grow up.

The tweet: I’ll never watch another iowa game in my life with the amount of disrespect that school has shown me and my family. Love the fans but I’m in no way affiliated or connected to the university.

The UI has not been disrespectful to Dev. And the UI has not been disrespectful to Roy simply because they did not retire his #.

What the UI did do, however, was make a decision 32 years ago where they decided not to retire his #. And that decision has never been overturned for the many reasons that have been discussed in this thread.

Last edited:
yep....it’s becoming apparent we have a large fan segment that is on the “shut up and dribble” Bandwagon.
Most rational, sensible fans/humans are not on Twitter. It is a small, but vocal minority that create and feed off of toxicity and drama. Same goes for message boards, the fans on here hardly represent the majority of our fans. Unfortunately, those people are the ones that are seen and their opinions are circulated. It happens with every fanbase though.

Plus, you never know how many of those “Iowa fans” on Twitter are just fans of other teams that make fake accounts to troll and be toxic. You’d be right to ask what kind of person has time/energy for that but we even see it happen on this board.

Once you can come to the realization Devyn Marble wouldn't have said anything at all if Luka Garza was black..... you can stop wasting time thinking about this or giving it any attention at all.

You and the other posters ITT trying to make this about race couldn’t be more wrong. Quit lighting fires where none are called for.

BTW, Dev didn’t start this issue, he merely answered a question from a fan and he moved on. Iowa fans are some of the most insecure little bitches in the sports universe, period.

IMO the Marbles have legitimate questions as to why Roy wasn’t more respectfully honored over the years. Roy had issues outside of basketball no doubt but Iowa should have probably shown more grace and forgiveness prior to his passing and just hung his jersey. It’s not like doing so was affirming his various problems or even ignoring them. Every human I’ve ever known is covered with various warts. Barta would be smart to find a way to mend this fence.

Many things transpired after Roy's playing days. These are facts. The university chose not to retire the jersey. Move on.

I was simply responding to the comment that Barta has no role in this. A decision was made in 2015 to bring Roy back and not retire anything. They have their reasons (most of which is likely stated in this thread). I was simply stating that Gary Barta/his bosses own that decision.

Reactions: stanzithemanzi12
I was simply responding to the comment that Barta has no role in this. A decision was made in 2015 to bring Roy back and not retire anything. They have their reasons (most of which is likely stated in this thread). I was simply stating that Gary Barta/his bosses own that decision.
With that CHA ceremony, i think Barta was simply trying to show some compassion to a dying man. I don't think they should have given him another framed jersey, however. that just seemed awkward.

This probably blows over by Thursday. But seems like the university did this to themselves. From the embarrassing ceremony a few years ago involving Roy, and their seemingly random criteria for these retired numbers.

There’s probably 3-4 guys w retired numbers that credential wise, should take a backseat to Roy. All time leading scorer, as part of several great teams.

I guess my two cents...if guys like BJ and Lester and Stokes have the honor...Roy is long overdue. And yes his off court issues loom, but we’re hanging a jersey. Not renaming the arena
Iowa didn't HAVE to do any ceremony for Roy Marble. It is their sandbox. People can have their own opinions about retiring numbers or whatever, but the University holds all those cards. And charachter is part of that criteria, and it should be IMO. People act like Iowa never did anything in support of Roy Marble, that clearly isn't true.

No, I disagree, because it sounds like everyone is just speculating that's the reason his number hasn't been retired. If Barta or whoever issues a statement that Roy's personal problems are the reason his number wasn't retired, then so be it. But until then, everyone racing to crucify Roy Marble on an anonymous message board are doing so based off assumption.
Speculating? LOL! You'd have to be a complete moron to not understand this.

Well the way this is going to play out on the national stage is a black player who held the record for decades never had his number retired, even when he was gravely ill....meanwhile a white player breaks the record and gets his number retired before the season even ends.

you have to admit the optics are not great, especially given the summer Iowa sports had...
That's because people are stupid........

Iowa didn't HAVE to do any ceremony for Roy Marble. It is their sandbox. People can have their own opinions about retiring numbers or whatever, but the University holds all those cards. And charachter is part of that criteria, and it should be IMO. People act like Iowa never did anything in support of Roy Marble, that clearly isn't true.
And yet it will be painted that way to build sympathy for Marble's side and build animosity towards Iowa........because people are stupid.

And if anyone doesn't think it'll happen, we'll you're already too late, first of all, if you jump to some national boards, but secondly because I watched it happen all last summer and through the rest of the year even.

Ignorance is a very unfortunate trait of the human race.

If the standard is you have to be as good as Luka to get your number retired than we would have extremely few numbers retired.
I never said that.

The University didn’t think his number should have been retired. That’s their choice. Roy never even made first team All Big Ten. Just because he was Iowa’s all time scoring leader is not enough per the University and I agree.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT