ADVERTISEMENT

Who mans 184?

Wrestlestat has Iowa @ #4 tournament: (1) Penn St - 169, (2) NC St - 90.4, (3) Iowa - 76.7, (4) Neb - 75.1.

That is with PK @ 174 (12.5 pts) and Arnold @ 184 (9 pts).

No one is going to touch Penn State. The race is for second. How to get >90.4 pts?

Anthony @ 149 (+0-5)
AJ @ 197 (+20)
Kueter @ 285 (+0-5)

Caveat, caveat, but, but, but, blah, blah, blah.

If AJ comes, Iowa would likely place second, regardless of what Arnold does. In which case Arnold could wrestle 3 more duals to help secure wins, and keep the shirt.

With no AJ, but with Arnold and points from either Anthony or Kueter, we're a solid 3rd.

Otherwise we might need Arnold to keep us in the top 3. If Arnold goes 174 and PK sits, we're probably looking at 4th.
Don't like that 169...

23/24
65-caliendo
74-kennedy
84-Arnold

24/25
65-caliendo
74-kennedy
84-brands
Redshirt Ferrari and Arnold

Than in 25/26 unfortunately 1 of either caliendo, Kennedy, Arnold, or Ferrari are gonna have to sit or we can try to get an Olympic rs for either Ferrari or Arnold. I doubt either will want to be in rs for 2 years straight especially when I imagine they are the 2 best out of the 4 but it’s possible
There is absolutely no chance any of them qualify for an Olympic redshirt in 25/26...

• Haha
Reactions: PSU Mike and ff141
Thanks for sharing that. I have been wondering how you and/or Gabe felt about the crazy ideas people come up with in the cesspool. I feel like Gabe will probably do what the team needs or coaches want, but might not be best for him. I would hate to see him blow his best shot at being a 4-timer for what the team needs. Knowing you feel this way makes me feel better about whatever decisions are made.

If that's the route they go, I hope they decide soon, so he can have a little Christmas dinner and maybe put on some good weight over the next month. What does that do next year if Angelo is at 184? We can't afford to waste one of them.
O'Toole likely going 174 next year. Pump the brakes on 4 timer talk.

Reactions: Muscles1989
Wrestlestat has Iowa @ #4 tournament: (1) Penn St - 169, (2) NC St - 90.4, (3) Iowa - 76.7, (4) Neb - 75.1.

That is with PK @ 174 (12.5 pts) and Arnold @ 184 (9 pts).

No one is going to touch Penn State. The race is for second. How to get >90.4 pts?

Anthony @ 149 (+0-5)
AJ @ 197 (+20)
Kueter @ 285 (+0-5)

Caveat, caveat, but, but, but, blah, blah, blah.

If AJ comes, Iowa would likely place second, regardless of what Arnold does. In which case Arnold could wrestle 3 more duals to help secure wins, and keep the shirt.

With no AJ, but with Arnold and points from either Anthony or Kueter, we're a solid 3rd.

Otherwise we might need Arnold to keep us in the top 3. If Arnold goes 174 and PK sits, we're probably looking at 4th.
Tarp - 184 ain’t that weak. Feldkamp is a terrible indicator of how good the weight is.

Arnold needs to be at 174 because that’s his best weight. We need finalists/top 4.

Gambling screwed us - we don’t need to try and cover that gunshot wound with a band-aid - we have to show recruits that you can win chips here.

If Gabe to 84 really was only a 1 time deal that really leaves 174 unsettled (pk isn’t healthy or in shape yet), and 184 a big hole. Trying to figure out this years lineup is daunting, can’t imagine being tnt and the ones who’s actually making the decisions. Where’s Grothus when ya need him.

This may not be the popular opinion, but if Gabe gets his RS pulled this year he should go 184 for the Hawks. He won't have to cut weight and it makes the lineup better with PK at 174 and GA at 184 than sitting PK and Gabe going 174. 184 would be a gaping hole then. For those saying Gabe going 184 will ruin his chances at a title, I disagree. Gabe absolutely could be top 4 at 184 with an outside chance at the finals. I love Gabe and am stoked he is a Hawk, but I would be shocked if anyone beats Starboy this year at 174. He is arrogant and I'm not a fan, but he is really good at wrestling. I think Gabes chance at a title as a true freshman is about as good at 184 as 174 this year. 184 is much weaker than 174 imo.
The definition of arrogance is "an exaggerated sense of one's own abilities" so arrogance describing Starocci would be inaccurate. On the other hand, it's nice to see such humility in Arnold,

I don't think we see Gabe the next 2 duals. He has 2 dates remaining. His cut back down to 174 wouldn't happen until the Salute (he can go unattached and still have 2 dates). My opinion you wrestle him 184 at the Salute Keck and Kane might be there. Then you can use him against Nebraska (Pinto) and Minnesota (Salazar) then decide if it's 184 or RS
Those are the choices? I don’t like either of them.

If Gabe to 84 really was only a 1 time deal that really leaves 174 unsettled (pk isn’t healthy or in shape yet), and 184 a big hole. Trying to figure out this years lineup is daunting, can’t imagine being tnt and the ones who’s actually making the decisions. Where’s Grothus when ya need him.
Lol Unsettled? 174? It was settled.

Reactions: vhsalum
just wondering IF... IF we get AJ in at 97 and wanting Glazier to drop to 84 If he can...how much did he weigh in at ? his weight descent plan will determine when he is able to go at 184.

Not the point. It’s been settled.
Keep PK at 174, redshirt Arnold after 5 matches, have active in open tournaments. Fill in 184 with Riggins/Rhoads, or Glazier cuts to 184 and Kolby or AJ man 197. Don’t worry about where we finish as a team this year. We still have the same chance at 2 finalists this year no matter where we finish as a team, and that is what gives the team great exposure. The year we won the team championship, PSU had more finalists and champions, and the announcers were just gushing about PSU, and AJ Ferrari being freshman 197 champion.

Keep PK at 174, redshirt Arnold after 5 matches, have active in open tournaments. Fill in 184 with Riggins/Rhoads, or Glazier cuts to 184 and Kolby or AJ man 197. Don’t worry about where we finish as a team this year. We still have the same chance at 2 finalists this year no matter where we finish as a team, and that is what gives the team great exposure. The year we won the team championship, PSU had more finalists and champions, and the announcers were just gushing about PSU, and AJ Ferrari being freshman 197 champion.

You’ve got a lot right there - I like the idea of waiting for 174 to clear out a bit. But that’s just not how these guys are wired. Arnold believes he can beat starocci and everyone else NOW.

The prudent thing, I think, would be to wrestle him the better duals, see if he really can be a finalist - then make the decision. But these guys also get a lot better getting more matches.

He wants to go, he’s a contender and we just need to start winning - regardless of what PSUs line up is. We COULD punt the season, but I don’t that makes much sense for the brand either.

We need to finish second and with finalists/champs.

We can a lot of momentum with recruits with a great showing:

Ayala- finalist
Woods- champ
Ant Ferrari - top 4
Franek - finalist
Caliendo - top 6
Arnold - top 6
AJ - champ

AJ winning would be huge - we need to put a dent in the PSU machine.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT