ADVERTISEMENT

Why didn't WMU's coach show for post game?

Dolph said the WMU coach didn't come out for the post game presser. Anyone know why? Was he upset over the last minute TD (which was very un-Kirk like)?

Unless he had big $$ on covering the spread, I doubt that was the reason.

Most coaches realize the onus is on their team to play 100% and stop the opponent regardless of the situation.

Why are you moving the goal posts? Kirk is notorious for trying to develop players, and has definitely let the twos and three play to score when there are big leads. I just gave you two examples two years ago because we didn’t have huge leads last year. Do I need to go back further for you or can you just accept that Kirk allows his twos and threes to try to score?

Yeah who knows maybe this coach has done this before after a lost? He was seen being positive and clapping as the game finished and met Kirk at midfield. I think if anything he's upset his team didn't do more in the first half when things were clicking for them.

Reactions: cmhawks99
We ran out our SIXTH TEAM WALK-ON RB ( That’s right- SIXTH TEAM WALK-ON RB) off tackle to score. If W. Michigan’s coach has butt hurt over that - too damn bad.
We were also running reverses with our starters late in the fourth quarter up three touchdowns.

You said reverse in the original post. Now you qualify that with the 'end around'. Yes, it was an end around, not really much of a trick play, more misdirection.
For iowa football offensively, it doesn’t get any trickier than that. Seriously. What have we run since maybe like the halfback pass against Michigan in Indy 2021, that would be considered tricker than a wide receiver running the ball like that? Haven’t seen a double pass, flea flicker, anything more exotic than that. Maybe we have and I just missed it.

• Haha
Reactions: Frosty7130
At least since 2015 (if not longer) ... when the Hawks are up and we have our back-ups in ... we've still let our guys play. It's still the responsibility of the opposing D to slow/stop our back-ups.

You have to remember that we're a developmental team. We're not purposely trying to run up any score. We're trying to let our back-ups receive real, quality game reps. Why shackle them?

Also, someone remarked about us "running a reverse" late in the game ... reverses are standard fare as a means of countering Ds that try to crash on the interior. Clearly we wanted our back-up guys on the OL to be blocking guys who were playing more "straight up" ... since they weren't, we ran the end-around (aka reverse).

For iowa football offensively, it doesn’t get any trickier than that. Seriously. What have we run since maybe like the halfback pass against Michigan in Indy 2021, that would be considered tricker than a wide receiver running the ball like that? Haven’t seen a double pass, flea flicker, anything more exotic than that. Maybe we have and I just missed it.
It was nice to see.

• Haha
Reactions: BlowinGuysHawkeye
Why are you moving the goal posts? Kirk is notorious for trying to develop players, and has definitely let the twos and three play to score when there are big leads. I just gave you two examples two years ago because we didn’t have huge leads last year. Do I need to go back further for you or can you just accept that Kirk allows his twos and threes to try to score?
I'm not moving anything.

If you think it is NORMAL for Kirk to AGGRESSIVELY try to score a TD in the last 1:30 of a game up 24 points, then I don't know what to tell you. The facts and his history of taking a knee in these situations are against you.

Running up the middle with the backups to run out the clock is not the same as throwing 3 passes in the final few minutes up 24 points in a CONCERTED EFFORT to score a TD. Of course the backups want to score....but Kirk isn't pointedly trying to run up the score.

Kirk MAY have done this on a few occasions, but it is NOT NORMAL FOR HIM. That's all I'm saying. Not that he's NEVER done it, but that it is NOT what he usually does.

Not sure why that is so difficult for you.

Remember.....this is the same coach many Hawk fans accuse of shutting the offense down once they are up by 2 scores.

Last edited:
Anyone with an internet connection in 2023 knows about the whole Brian 25 thing, so I can't believe a fellow coach is going to hold that against KF.
Maybe he's mad that he failed to help the Iowa fans that want Brian fired, and didn't want to face the media to admit his failures in helping the good fans of Iowa..................yeah?

We ran out our SIXTH TEAM WALK-ON RB ( That’s right- SIXTH TEAM WALK-ON RB) off tackle to score. If W. Michigan’s coach has butt hurt over that - too damn bad.

This is definitely the right answer… I’m glad to see there’s a lot of people that agree &/or came to their senses today.

Sometimes it feels like this board only exists to pick apart every single thing fans don’t like about Iowa and their coaches!

Read the play by play
You should. The examples you gave don't even come close to yesterday:
Iowa's last possession at 3:12. 6 plays, 3 passes...2 complete for 30 total yards. Drive ended in touchdown with :30 left,
Compare that to the last drives of the games you listed.

NOT what Kirk usually does to end a game!

Last edited:
Western Michigan is paid a lot of money to come in to Kinnick and get their butt kicked----that money keeps their program running and pays the head coach his salary. They had a lead for awhile, that should have been a moral win.

Reactions: Hawkbiz
Iowa's last possession at 6:01. 10 plays, 1 pass for 12 yards. (they passed on another play but there was an offensive penalty). End of game, ball at MSU 10.
Did they take knees or were they still driving the ball when the clock ran out?

Iowa's last possession at 2:18. 4 plays, no passes. Turned ball over on downs at Kent 49. Did not score.
Did they take knees or were they still driving the ball when they turned the ball over?

Iowa's last possession at 3:42. 4 plays, 1 pass for 2 yards. Turned ball over on downs at MD 15 yard line.. Did not score.
Did they take knees or were they still driving the ball when they turned the ball over?

Just because they didn't score doesn't mean it's unlike Kirk to TRY to score with the backups when the game is comfortably in hand.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT