ADVERTISEMENT

Why has Padilla not hit the portal?

They are closer than you think in terms of mobility. They were moving him outside to make his reads easier because they didn’t trust him in the pocket not challenge the defense. They stopped doing it because he got gun shy and it made the defenses job easier. Petras is much better on bootlegs than Padilla.
Petras can't do a bootleg. Not sure what you are talking about... Plus Padilla makes quicker decisions. Which is a must for running RPO plays.

Petras can't do a bootleg. Not sure what you are talking about... Plus Padilla makes quicker decisions. Which is a must for running RPO plays.
Padilla was 0-3 on bootlegs against Nebraska with wide open options. He also made 2 horrible decisions against Illinois on bootlegs. He makes quicker decisions because he locks on to the first read which is why he has had more balls put into harms way.

Reactions: cm8124 and owenhawk
Here's a crazy thought, maybe he is actually in college to get his degree and wants to finish prior to making a move?
giphy.gif

Reactions: intrepodor
It would be stupid for a player like Padilla to enter the portal with no idea if anyone is interested.

Just another cog in an already confusing offense for a QB that has no ability to climb the pocket or read a defense outside of throwing the ball to Laporta. Padilla gives you the double option in this scenario to tuck the ball. Again, having this as a threat allows you to open up even more.
Having a qb who's a threat to run helps any offense. That benefit (and drawback in its absence) is true in any offense. It's not unique or even necessary to have a qb who's a threat to run with RPOs but it helps....as it does with any offense when used judiciously.

Reactions: HawkOn15
Having a qb who's a threat to run helps any offense. That benefit (and drawback in its absence) is true in any offense. It's not unique or even necessary to have a qb who's a threat to run with RPOs but it helps....as it does with any offense when used judiciously.
wow, I really didn't realize any of this. If you are cool with a pro-style QB that completes less than 60% of their passes, and has no scramble ability, I'd say keep going with what Iowa has.

Except for when it is needed to Ragaini, but he did complete a nice one to Laporta (surprise) earlier in the game.
Yeah, not saying he hit his mark on all of them, but he can run them, contrary to the hyperbole.

Interestingly, the one he missed against Kentucky was the exact same concept and route as the one we beat Penn State with.

Reactions: BBHawk and HawkOn15
It would be stupid for a player like Padilla to enter the portal with no idea if anyone is interested.
Maybe that’s what he’s waiting on - for his people to do some incognito reconnaissance.

Padilla would get lots of interest at the G-5 level. He played for a 10-win P-5 team, going 3-0 in games he started, and played the entire game which was their best win.

I personally hope he stays and is the starting QB next fall, but like I’ve said many times, there’s very little to indicate that this coaching staff will give him a fair chance.

Going out on a limb but I'm 100% sure it won't be May. I couldn't see KF give the keys to a freshman. I'm not sure Labas has a shot either.
Nor did I say they would, although I do think Labas will get a shot in the off season, just because of all the smoke, and KF has actually brought him up, but no I highly doubt that May would play. My point was nobody knows at this point, and the fans will have nothing to say about it.

Reactions: Hawkfan_08
Have you seen Petras run...? Yeah, me neither.

Neither is a great, or even good runner. But Padilla is a far better than Spencer. And it isn't even close...

Where Padilla got short changed, IMHO, is when they stopped running him outside the pocket after the NW game... That was what kept defenses in check, and opened up our offense... That's on Kirk
You've seen Petras run, you just didn't know it ;)

• Haha
Reactions: cm8124 and hawktech
Hear me out...BF is changing the offense to an RPO and it's not actually Padilla that will be hitting the portal it's Petras once he realizes the new scheme doesn't fit his skill set. Hence why they let Petras go the whole bowl game knowing it'd most likely be his last at Iowa.
Help me Lord

wow, I really didn't realize any of this. If you are cool with a pro-style QB that completes less than 60% of their passes, and has no scramble ability, I'd say keep going with what Iowa has.
Wow....I thought we were discussing SP's viability as an RPO QB vs another style of offense. Do I think he's great? Hell no. Do I think it matters with him taking snaps with our current offense vs an RPO heavy offense? Same answer...hell no. His lack a mobility is a liability regardless.

My point from the beginning was that mobility wasn't a higher priority running RPO vs our offense. Stay on topic.

Wow....I thought we were discussing SP's viability as an RPO QB vs another style of offense. Do I think he's great? Hell no. Do I think it matters with him taking snaps with our current offense vs an RPO heavy offense? Same answer...hell no. His lack a mobility is a liability regardless.

My point from the beginning was that mobility wasn't a higher priority running RPO vs our offense. Stay on topic.
Your average message board is rife with "affirming the consequent" fallacies.

"If you think X, you must also think Y!"

Padilla was 0-3 on bootlegs against Nebraska with wide open options. He also made 2 horrible decisions against Illinois on bootlegs. He makes quicker decisions because he locks on to the first read which is why he has had more balls put into harms way.
Not true

You may have meant to reply to reply to a different post, but you replied to mine where I said it was happening. I would not expect it is happening in a vast majority of cases, but I would expect it is happening in the high profile cases.
It’s happening. We’ve heard it at kicking camps from the trainers who have placed kickers at schools. They’ll get called about a smaller school kicker and say they want him to hit the portal and they have a spot for him.

3rd stringers for Michigan do not count. LoL

Kentucky was playing more prevent D. Had they sent more than a couple of rushers, that would have changed the game for certain... Apparently they didn't watch the film.
That doesn't make any sense considering Petras didn't play against their 3rd stringers lmao.

Kentucky was playing prevent D in the first half? Or when they had a 3 point lead?

Do you actually know what a bootleg is?

Reactions: HawkOn15

Kentucky was playing more prevent D. Had they sent more than a couple of rushers, that would have changed the game for certain... Apparently they didn't watch the film.
What? When were they playing prevent D? When they were up by 10 pts in the first half? After Iowa scored in the 3rd quarter to get within 3? Or in the 4th quarter when Iowa took the lead? They didn't take the lead back until there were under 2 minutes in the game, so not really much game to base their rush on.

I feel like I heard Petras say in an interview recently that he’s gonna work on his mobility this offseason. Maybe there’s more than smoke to this offensive scheme change. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Although he should work on it regardless imho.

Reactions: BBHawk
I feel like I heard Petras say in an interview recently that he’s gonna work on his mobility this offseason. Maybe there’s more than smoke to this offensive scheme change. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Although he should work on it regardless imho.
I think it's just him working on it. But he really needs to work on pocket awareness. He has been sacked from each side and up the middle when movement could have avoided the sack. Not every time, but enough so that it's an issue for him.

Why was Michigan playing their third stringers in the first half? Petras ran multiple successful bootlegs against Michigan in the first half. Michigan shut down the bootlegs I’m the second half.

I think it's just him working on it. But he really needs to work on pocket awareness. He has been sacked from each side and up the middle when movement could have avoided the sack. Not every time, but enough so that it's an issue for him.
Yeah I’m with ya. Stepping up in the pocket and making a play whether it be throwing the ball downfield or just getting any amount of positive yardage is something he seems to struggle with. Instead he defers to putting the ball in the dirt/stands or taking a sack. The kid no doubt has the arm strength but I think he still lacks the confidence between the ears. Levis was far from a world beater in the bowl game but there were multiple times he moved forward in the pocket to make a play and he wasn’t afraid to get some contact.

Alex is an inaccurate passer at this level. Below 50% for God's sake. His speed advantage over Spencer came to nothing because Alex shared the lack of a pocket presence and wouldn't run when running room was available.

Watched Mahomes today. I think Joey will be a poor man's Mahomes kind of player. He'll take off when the running space opens without having to stop and think about it. That's what allows time for the hole to close. A natural runner with instincts for the opening.

Maybe that’s what he’s waiting on - for his people to do some incognito reconnaissance.

Padilla would get lots of interest at the G-5 level. He played for a 10-win P-5 team, going 3-0 in games he started, and played the entire game which was their best win.

I personally hope he stays and is the starting QB next fall, but like I’ve said many times, there’s very little to indicate that this coaching staff will give him a fair chance.
Agree, this coaching staff has blinders on but that's always been the case. Why they didn't give AP more opportunities later in the year was unfortunately not surprising. AP needs to transfer in his best interest. More of the same next year. At least we'll have a better OL and rb's look good so will do alright. Only if we had an above average qb we could be great. SP won't get it done.

Reactions: Thunderlips71
The QB has to be a threat to run is #1. Yes we hear that he is trying to be more mobile next season, but as of right now, there is zero threat of Petras not handing the ball off, so pretty much the exact same offense Iowa is running right now.

Again, it is integral to keep the defense honest, you do not want a defense that can hang in cover 1 the entire game, but explain to me why I am wrong in this concept.
Most RPOs are a choice between a handoff or a pass. The read in this case based on a specific defender, often. LB. If the LB crashes, the correct read is to pull out and throw to the receiver in the area just vacated by the LB. If the LB plays pass, the read is to handoff and take the yardage.

you seem to be thinking of a zone-read or read-option. The concept is similar, but the choice here is between either handoff to RB or the QB keeping it, again based on what the designated defender does. Iowa has looked on a couple of occasions like they have a play like this in the playbook (or at least where if the qb kept it he had an easy 5-10 yards) but it’s not read often.

lots of tv guys confuse these two all the time.

Both QB are weak but Petras has had 2 seasons to fix his crap and looks like he isn't. Would he be given this amount of time at Alabama, Texas, Oklahoma, Georgia, Ohio St I don't think so and its nothing on the young mans character i think he is doing his best giving his all. He just isn't translating well in a p5 school

Reactions: hawktech
Padilla hasn’t hit the portal because he doesn’t want to be like an atheist’s corpse after the funeral: all dressed-up and nowhere to go.

Reactions: littlez
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT