ADVERTISEMENT

Why is now not the right time to part ways with Fran?

It seems like everyone, the McCaffreys included, needs a fresh start.

Why prolong the inevitable?

I don’t get it.
154614390.jpg.0.jpg

Because of this gem

It seems like everyone, the McCaffreys included, needs a fresh start.

Why prolong the inevitable?

I don’t get it.

Iowa mens bball wont change because we have no NIL money to buy players. We'll scrape up the leftover players who aren't good enough to receive NIL money and play with them.
What coach would want to come into this scenario?

Iowa mens bball wont change because we have no NIL money to buy players. We'll scrape up the leftover players who aren't good enough to receive NIL money and play with them.
I hear that argument a lot, but I have a hard time believing the financial support wouldn’t be there if fan interest was piqued. It seems to me after Fran’s failure to do anything of note with guys like Garza, the Murray twins, and Joe Weiskamp on the same roster, that fans recognize the program ceiling has been reached with Fran, which sadly is still a first-weekend ouster in the tournament. Who is going to want to invest money and time into a floundering product that has the same issues every year?

Last, there are plenty of mid-major coaches or current assistants who would welcome a large pay increase that Iowa can provide. The money and resources are there.

Ummm a thing called a contract? Money doesn’t grow on trees. He has a sizable buyout still. No way Iowa is going to pay to part ways with Fran after one bad season. Even if plenty are tired of the lack of tournament success.
You’re telling me Iowa couldn’t afford the buyout? I don’t buy it.

So, the plan is to continue to see fan apathy and low attendance numbers increase because it’s too expensive to get rid of Fran? When is the buyout number suitable? After one more year? Two or three more years? When?

If that really is the answer, then it seems clear Iowa is throwing in the towel on the men’s basketball program. Maybe that is what’s happening.

If the athletic department isn't going to figure out a way to invest their own funds into the NIL then it really doesn’t matter who the coach is.

The fan base at large needs to demand this.

It's purposterous for them to be taking in that amount of money from tv contracts and then not reinvesting any on the product.

I don't care if it's against the rules the ncaa has no way to investigate it let alone enforce anything.

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
This might be a dumb question, but given the NIL landscape and us not having the money to pay both a coach and elite players, would it be a viable strategy to just hire a no name coach on the cheap for 300k and use the 3 million saved from coach salary to buy players instead? I feel like the talent on the court is responsible for 80% of the outcome and that a cheap coach won't necessarily be any worse than Fran. This would have to be done after Fran's contract expiration of course.

Iowa will never hire a coach for $300k, not in this day and age
Not to mention the coaches salary and NIL come out of completely different buckets. Barta didn't do us any favors but Iowa has the money...every B1G team does.

With Connor and Patrick moving to Indy... talk of Jack going to ND (or somewhere else outstate), will Fran's departure from IC be far behind?

So, the plan is to continue to see fan apathy and low attendance numbers increase because it’s too expensive to get rid of Fran? When is the buyout number suitable? After one more year? Two or three more years? When?

If that really is the answer, then it seems clear Iowa is throwing in the towel on the men’s basketball program. Maybe that is what’s happening.
I have always wondered if contracts with coaches say their buyout has to be paid all at once by their former school or if it is doled out by when the fired coach is due to make that year's salary.

Which way is it or can it be each way based on the contract?

Plus if men's bball attendance is way down now which I think it is and you hang on to Fran who has worse teams then you have an opportunity cost for not making a coaching change. If you fire fran or he leaves and you get a new coach who an pack Carver then you can bring in over a million dollars a year with more ticket and concession sales, parking sales, etc

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
This might be a dumb question, but given the NIL landscape and us not having the money to pay both a coach and elite players, would it be a viable strategy to just hire a no name coach on the cheap for 300k and use the 3 million saved from coach salary to buy players instead? I feel like the talent on the court is responsible for 80% of the outcome and that a cheap coach won't necessarily be any worse than Fran. This would have to be done after Fran's contract expiration of course.
Well the school itself cant give NIL money to players so if the school saves a bunch on paying a newbie coach the school could pay other bills and ask the fans to give to NIL Swarm rather than donate to the athl dept/

All the coaches at mid majors making $250K/yr with no NIL would jump for chance to make $3.2 million/yr at Iowa.

Maybe some of them would also do better job raising NIL.

At the juncture we are 1-2-3 years away from replacing Fran. Maybe he'll suddenly do something great.

Well the school itself cant give NIL money to players so if the school saves a bunch on paying a newbie coach the school could pay other bills and ask the fans to give to NIL Swarm rather than donate to the athl dept/
There's a hundred different ways to make it work but they aren't going to spend or redirect their money unless pressure is applied in some form.

If this is the honest truth, that will kill me.

When men's bball is decent - or better - I like that sport much more than CFB.

But, this past season gave me some practice on getting through winter time while not caring much about bball.

NIL comes from the fans. It wouldn't matter if the coach was making $20/hr. with no dental.

The short answer is that’s not how NIL works.

Barta was a bad AD. Terrible administrator and in contract negotiations and structure.
He was apparently great at sucking up to donors and others with influence that allowed him to keep his job. He is the primary reason Iowa remains saddled with Fran at this point.

It doesn't matter how many threads you start about it, Ragnar. Fran isn't getting the ax now. He may not get it after another poor season and NCAA tourney miss next year. Him leaving on his own is a more likely possibility.

If the pay for players situation gets worse than it is now, it won't matter anyway. At least to me as my interest in Iowa men's bball will probably be about at an end.

All the coaches at mid majors making $250K/yr with no NIL would jump for chance to make $3.2 million/yr at Iowa.

Maybe some of them would also do better job raising NIL.

At the juncture we are 1-2-3 years away from replacing Fran. Maybe he'll suddenly do something great.
That would be the definition of insanity

Next season may or may not see fan apathy and low attendance. I'll bet not one person on here has any idea how next season will turn out....just expecting the worst without any knowledge. Typical Iowa fans in assuming Iowa will be bad because no one knows how it will turn out. Cry me a river.....

Next season may or may not see fan apathy and low attendance. I'll bet not one person on here has any idea how next season will turn out....just expecting the worst without any knowledge. Typical Iowa fans in assuming Iowa will be bad because no one knows how it will turn out. Cry me a river.....
Does it even matter anymore what next season is like. You all know that Fran is not the future of Iowa basketball, so why keep him? Your AD would be a fool to extend Frans contract, period.

My god, what a stupid response.

No defense, no toughness, no athleticism, no postseason success.

Rinse and repeat. Every. ****ing. Year.

“Cry me a river”? JFC. Just stating the facts, dipshit.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT