ADVERTISEMENT

Will Keegan Murray Return to Iowa for 22/23 Season?

Will he be on our roster next season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Kenyon, loved how you played during your time at Iowa, but really, you need a new house or car? Your family is so poor that your kids have to leave college early, to start making money to support you and your wife.
We as fans certainly don't want to see your family suffer living without food on your table but thanks for allow us Iowa fans to get a sneak peek of your kids abilities even if it's only long enough to figure out which one is Keegan and which one is Kris.
And by the way, I don't need my son to support my wife and I. I do pretty well as a regional manager for a fortune 500 company. I try to do my share of giving back to the community that has supported my family and I. My role as a community leader with my non-profit, working with kids via JA and instilling these same values in my kids, is what I NEED.

Kid will be 22 in August before the start of the NBA season, that is getting up there in terms of starting NBA careers. He has the footwork, the shot and the maturity to jump into the NBA next year. If you check all the boxes why wait?

Could very well be Keegan might have draft status hurt if waits another year. To enter the league at 23 is a bit of a late start. For even some of the best players there is a year or 2 learning curve, if simply dealing with travel schedule and physicality of the game.

Based on his dad's comments they have a lot of great information and will make a very well informed decision.

Last edited:
Disagree about Kris. IMO he also goes to the NBA, 2 way contract with time in G league but if he comes back for another year at Iowa , he is the man and will play Keegan minutes. I hop we have Kris for another year but I’d guess it’s less than 50/50
He should leave. Fran is screwing him on playing time. If I was him I'd want to transfer if I saw Patrick McFlailing starting over me. It's a travesty, we probably have a decent team worth of players but Fran has a serious issue wasting valuable minutes on his mediocre, at best, sons. Same for toussaint, he should find a team where he doesn't have such a short leash. I can't believe Fran's substitution patterns, it's mind blowing.

• Haha
Reactions: BBHawk
Appreciate the post.
Hey Kenyon, what have you guys been hearing about a potential draft opportunity for Kris? Doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of buzz on a national or even conference scale from a media perspective, but I see him as a no-brainer late first/early second round pick upon going through the draft eval process after the season. Are you hearing any chatter, or is that something you expect to happen more post-season?

Reactions: PHawkKenyon
Hey Kenyon, what have you guys been hearing about a potential draft opportunity for Kris? Doesn’t seem to be a whole lot of buzz on a national or even conference scale from a media perspective, but I see him as a no-brainer late first/early second round pick upon going through the draft eval process after the season. Are you hearing any chatter, or is that something you expect to happen more post-season?
There is information coming back to me on both of them. LOL

Reactions: 24 so far
Right, I figured. I meant more in terms of draft positioning and where team analysts see him going
Nothing specific. Kind of like Keegan's situation late last year and trying to project his trajectory. They are locked in to making this team the best it can be and get to the tourney. Plenty of time for all the other stuff. They play, Michelle and I keep the noise away. LOL

Can those on here who hope Keegan goes pro and Kris transfers really be Iowa fans?
I don’t think any serious/real fan actually thinks or hopes that Kris is transferring. I can get behind hoping (or maybe rather supporting) that players go pro, though. It might mean hitting the reset button next year a bit (I don’t think we would take much of a step back because I think that Joe, Pat, Perkins, and a portal player could step in admirably), but sending players to the league only provides a selling point when recruiting and raises the baseline for the program. The football team has progressively gotten consistently better through program stability, player development, and pro placement

Reactions: unclesammy
I thought the odds of Kris heading to the NBA after this year were low given his limited opportunities but Keegan was in a very similar spot last year when he started getting some attention. I just compared the metrics for Kris to where Keegan was last year and Kris is starting to exceed them. In fact their metrics are nearly identical this year.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Nothing specific. Kind of like Keegan's situation late last year and trying to project his trajectory. They are locked in to making this team the best it can be and get to the tourney. Plenty of time for all the other stuff. They play, Michelle and I keep the noise away. LOL
You guys must be doing a good job because watching the two lead Iowa’s team has been a blast to watch! I just want this team to get a chance in March Madness and think we could give almost anybody a run for their money

Kenyon, loved how you played during your time at Iowa, but really, you need a new house or car? Your family is so poor that your kids have to leave college early, to start making money to support you and your wife.
We as fans certainly don't want to see your family suffer living without food on your table but thanks for allow us Iowa fans to get a sneak peek of your kids abilities even if it's only long enough to figure out which one is Keegan and which one is Kris.
Wtf? ROFLMFAO

Interesting post lol

Wtf again

What in the actual F, man? It's a bit early to be drinking, friend.

Reactions: Lighting Hawk
Can those on here who hope Keegan goes pro and Kris transfers really be Iowa fans?
I think there's a BIG difference between hoping they leave (at least as far as the NBA), and realizing its the logical choice if he projects as a lottery pick. Now hoping or expecting Kris to transfer, is another thing entirely....

I thought he was joking. @IllQChawk you were joking right?
You can take it anyway you want too. I guess it's different now a days, now it's all about the money, loyalty is thrown out the window. I get it, 1 and doners is a way of life for many that go to blue blood institutions. Hell, teams like Gonzaga, Baylor, and the like, they don't have to recruit, they just open their doors and the best recruits seem to just walk in and replace the freshly departed.
I have no idea if Kenyon contacted Fran or visa versa, but Iowa was one of the first colleges to offer them when very few did and basically after 1 year of extended play, they could be gone and from all indications it appears very likely. Good for them and I'm sure they'll be very successful.
For Iowa basketball, it's a way of life to have to start over every year, if I seem bitter, I guess I am. It's my fault that I was brought up being a Hawkeye fan and continued to endure disappointment after disappointment. Maybe this will be my last year to give a crap. We'll see.

Can those on here who hope Keegan goes pro and Kris transfers really be Iowa
Cmon man. Nobody really wants him to go pro but he’s already showing up in mock drafts in some cases in the top 10. Forget which one had him at 6 this week. That’s life changing. Do some of you guys watch anything besides Iowa basketball? It just floors me sometimes seeing your comments about having to get stronger or he needs to do this or that. He is gone. Enjoy watching him the rest of the season. He’s a lottery pick. And for those of you who “don’t watch the NBA” that’s the top 13-14 guys. And yes, he’s one of them.

You can take it anyway you want too. I guess it's different now a days, now it's all about the money, loyalty is thrown out the window. I get it, 1 and doners is a way of life for many that go to blue blood institutions. Hell, teams like Gonzaga, Baylor, and the like, they don't have to recruit, they just open their doors and the best recruits seem to just walk in and replace the freshly departed.
I have no idea if Kenyon contacted Fran or visa versa, but Iowa was one of the first colleges to offer them when very few did and basically after 1 year of extended play, they could be gone and from all indications it appears very likely. Good for them and I'm sure they'll be very successful.
For Iowa basketball, it's a way of life to have to start over every year, if I seem bitter, I guess I am. It's my fault that I was brought up being a Hawkeye fan and continued to endure disappointment after disappointment. Maybe this will be my last year to give a crap. We'll see.
Baylor isn’t a blue blood brother. And take a break from Iowa sports. Please.

For those of you thinking the Murray twins need another year, I would offer the example of Talen Horton-Tucker who played at Iowa State as a 17 year old, was one-and-done, and got drafted by the Lakers. Mostly sat on the bench his first year, but has played significant minutes since.

Keegan is extremely talented, and I’m not sure Kris is that far behind him with his recent play. As someone else has mentioned, the NBA drafts on potential. The brothers are on an upward climb and it would not surprise me if both could generate interest from the league.

I totally get the frustration. It always seems like one of these years it should be our shot, and here we have these two players who could be REALLY special in a year or two, but they'll most likely be long gone. Just don't think questioning the guys dad , (ESPECIALLY someone who was himself a great Hawk), is the way to go. Obviously Kenyon has to advise his sons whats best for them first and foremost, just like any of us dads would do....

Reading Kenyons posts he getting advice from the league and passing it on to his kids. As he’s said it’s their dream, not his. It’s what they want. Which is what most kids want at this level. He’s not pushing either way. But when the league is telling you your kid is a top 15 pick at worst what’s left for them to come back to?

Reactions: PHawkKenyon
I think it’s a reach to say he is a lottery pick. Not a reach to have him in the first round. I’m sorry but Kris is no where near that level.
I was talking about Keegan. Never said anything about Kris. But don’t think because he’s sitting behind the coaches kid that NBA scouts aren’t aware of his skills as well. He would get drafted if he left.

Reactions: Im4Iowa
He’s had a few inefficient games… big deal. He’s also the primary focus of opposing defenses and continues to display an ability to score at three levels, defend, and rebound. He’s a lottery pick next year if he wants to go

What we should be discussing at a greater depth is whether or not Kris will be joining him. He’s currently a lock for at least the second round, and can play his way into the first round with more games like last night and Indiana
Kris played fantastic these past two games, but I would wager it is a stretch to say he is a "lock to be drafted" even as a second rounder ( I am not saying I don't think he could get drafted if he chose to come out), and would be shocked if he had a shot at the first round based on the time he has gotten on the court. He has great size and good enough athleticism, but there are only about 15-20 US college players that get drafted in the first round with so many imports.

Last edited:
Disagree about Kris. IMO he also goes to the NBA, 2 way contract with time in G league but if he comes back for another year at Iowa , he is the man and will play Keegan minutes. I hop we have Kris for another year but I’d guess it’s less than 50/50
Especially since he's had some of his best games (Purdue x 2, Indiana, and Wisconsin) when there were tons if NBA scouts in attendance. Certainly hasn't hurt his value

Reactions: Lighting Hawk
Interesting that you would ask me that. No we don't "need". So we have to be struggling for money before our children chase their dream? Not sure I am following. Plenty of players have left early to pursue a professional careers and their families weren't "struggling". Are you speaking as a parent or a fan? Golfers, tennis players, baseball players, etc have for years left when they felt it was the right decision. So, if your son was a player and was projected as a 1st round pick, you would tell him to come back because your family wasn't "struggling" financially?? I have two degrees, my wife is a certified Radiology Tech and currently works in auditing at UIHC. KnK took college classes in HS and are numerous credits ahead of where they should be and Keegan has been on the honor roll ever semester at Iowa. We have a daughter who is 4.1 GPA and is looking at the Ivy league for college. Even our adopted son, who struggled in HS has one BA and is working on a BS/MA simultaneously. So to say that we don't value education (staying in school) is absurd!! My kid's dream is JUST THAT, HIS DREAM. My job as a parent is to support his decision. I would ask that you view this as a parent and not a fan. College is a stepping stone for anyone to figure out what they want their career to be. Doesn't matter if it is as an accountant, physician or professional athlete.
As a parent with college students myself, I can only applaud you. Nicely said. We have five children but each one is different with different dreams, opportunities and choices.

Are you going to stick around, or do we have to find you on the NBA message boards? :)

He gone.

He's a Top 10 NBA Lottery pick. Some have him going as high as #6 in the Draft.

Check out the GUARANTEED money he is looking at.

In the 2021 NBA Draft:

#10 pick: Ziaire Williams

Ziaire signed a 4 year / $19,907,925 contract with the Memphis Grizzlies ($19,907,925 guaranteed; AVERAGE of $4,976,981 per year for 4 years)

#6 pick: Josh Giddey

Josh signed a 4 year / $27,214,807 contract with the Oklahoma City Thunder ($27,214,807 guaranteed; AVERAGE of $6,803,702 per year for 4 years)

Last edited:
For Iowa basketball, it's a way of life to have to start over every year, if I seem bitter, I guess I am. It's my fault that I was brought up being a Hawkeye fan and continued to endure disappointment after disappointment. Maybe this will be my last year to give a crap. We'll

Are you going to stick around, or do we have to find you on the NBA message boards? :)
I will always stay locked in to the board. Kakert is one of my guys and any way I can support or contribute to the board, I will do!!

Kris played fantastic these past two games, but I would wager it is a stretch to say he is a "lock to be drafted" even as a second rounder ( I am not saying I don't think he could get drafted if he chose to come out), and would be shocked if he had a shot at the first round based on the time he has gotten on the court. He has great size and good enough athleticism, but there are only about 15-20 US college players that get drafted in the first round with so many imports.
6’8, athletic, skilled, shooting 40% from deep. His minutes are the only thing holding him back from being a sure fire late first rounder

Reactions: littlez
If Keegan gets legit 1st round vibes from the nba he needs to jump on it and never look back. He owes the iowa coaches and program absolutely nothing. Sports are a business now, time to treat it as such.

If Kris doesn't get 1st round draft evaluations I would send him to to portal to somewhere else to get nil money and play for a better coach/team. Bruce Pearl/Auburn, Beard/Texas, Izzo/Msu etc would all take Kris's phone call I would bet.

Kenyon, sorry you have to put up with some of the non sense on this board. From an outside perspective your sons haven grown into fine young men under your wing and most adults admire that. All Hawk fans would selfishly love to have both boys back next year, but as a father of course you want what’s best for them and to help them achieve their dreams. For an outsider to tell you unsolicited what’s best for them absurd.

For some fans their distaste for Fran now exceeds their love of the Hawks hence they seem to be rooting for some of our best returning players to transfer to other schools.
Going pro is fine,a business decision, but I cannot understand a Hawkeye fan pushing for contributing returning players to transfer.

I was talking about Keegan. Never said anything about Kris. But don’t think because he’s sitting behind the coaches kid that NBA scouts aren’t aware of his skills as well. He would get drafted if he left.
Keegan certainly has skills to play. I've never said he doesn't. Kris isn't anywhere near ready for the NBA and would, without a doubt, improve his position if he stays.

Hard for Kris to improve when he gets limited time to play. Just like Keegan last year. Fran has his favorites for sure. Kris could get all the starter minutes he wants elsewhere.

Keegan's a top-8, potentially top-5 pick. He's also the oldest projected lottery-mid first round pick; he needs to start his clock ASAP. He's leaving, and rightfully so. He's earned that, and it's the logical move in his career/dream. No one should hope he comes back; they should all be celebrating his rise and opportunity he's created for himself . Anyone that believes, or wishes, otherwise is just being foolish/selfish. I think Kris returns and develops his game (though I bet he goes through draft process to garner feedback) to make the jump next year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT