ADVERTISEMENT

Will Keegan Murray Return to Iowa for 22/23 Season?

Will he be on our roster next season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Keegan will probably not return, but I think he could really use another year in college to sharpen his skills and gain strength. If Iowa cannot provide the coaching/skills, there is always the portal.
Posts like this make no sense. He’s a projected instant multi-millionaire who can have the best strength and training he can buy, immediately. Plus he’ll be sharpening his skills against far superior players.
Uno is right, and I think Kris will play himself into the first round and he’d be silly not to go. Maybe that’s why Fran doesn’t want to start or play Kris more, he’s afraid to lose both of them?

You can take it anyway you want too. I guess it's different now a days, now it's all about the money, loyalty is thrown out the window. I get it, 1 and doners is a way of life for many that go to blue blood institutions. Hell, teams like Gonzaga, Baylor, and the like, they don't have to recruit, they just open their doors and the best recruits seem to just walk in and replace the freshly departed.
I have no idea if Kenyon contacted Fran or visa versa, but Iowa was one of the first colleges to offer them when very few did and basically after 1 year of extended play, they could be gone and from all indications it appears very likely. Good for them and I'm sure they'll be very successful.
For Iowa basketball, it's a way of life to have to start over every year, if I seem bitter, I guess I am. It's my fault that I was brought up being a Hawkeye fan and continued to endure disappointment after disappointment. Maybe this will be my last year to give a crap. We'll see.
Its no one's fault but Frans that he didn't utilize them to the fullest potential he could have.

Probably cost himself a nice tournament run last year by playing his favorites instead who was most talented and capable.

Reactions: littlez
Some of you guys are just clueless.

Saying a guy whos projected to be a borderline lottery pick needs to come back.

It has nothing to do with being "ready"

Rookies are almost never ready.
Keegan and his Dad are way to smart to even consider coming back to IOWA,
how is this even a question?

how many of you here would quit your job tomorrow to sign a multimillion dollar contract to play a sport you currently love?

Answer = all of you…

Kris played fantastic these past two games, but I would wager it is a stretch to say he is a "lock to be drafted" even as a second rounder, and would be shocked if he had a shot at the first round.
Keegan and his Dad are way to smart to even consider coming back to IOWA,
how is this even a question?

how many of you here would quit your job tomorrow to sign a multimillion dollar contract to play a sport you currently love?

Answer = all of you…
maybe not @IllQChawk. Lol.

Kenyon, I am one of the lucky Hawk fans who have gotten the chance to meet, talk to and as crazy as it sounds...actually play ball with you! Of course, this was before the boys came into your life. I can absolutely tell what incredible parents you and the Mrs. are. And, I can't think of anyone I know who would ever think that either one of your boys should turn their backs on their dreams. I can't wait to hear their names called on draft day!!! I just want to see them both in the starting lineup yet this year. Hopefully that is VERY soon!

BTW, does this ring a bell? "The Hayes Classic Basketball Tournament - Muscatine"? ;)

Reactions: PHawkKenyon
For some fans their distaste for Fran now exceeds their love of the Hawks hence they seem to be rooting for some of our best returning players to transfer to other schools.
Going pro is fine,a business decision, but I cannot understand a Hawkeye fan pushing for contributing returning players to transfer.
Thank you. I thought maybe it was just me wondering why in the hell someone would post something like that.....

Cmon man. Nobody really wants him to go pro but he’s already showing up in mock drafts in some cases in the top 10. Forget which one had him at 6 this week. That’s life changing. Do some of you guys watch anything besides Iowa basketball? It just floors me sometimes seeing your comments about having to get stronger or he needs to do this or that. He is gone. Enjoy watching him the rest of the season. He’s a lottery pick. And for those of you who “don’t watch the NBA” that’s the top 13-14 guys. And yes, he’s one of them.
You've missed my point. I don't have any problem with Keegan jumping to the NBA, especially given the positive feedback he's been given. My issue is with those on here hoping Kris enters the portal and jumps to another team based on their hatred of McCaffery. I have to question anyone that advocates hurting the program just to try and damage a coach that's not going anywhere no matter how much they hold their breath and beat their little fists on the floor.

Kenyon, I am one of the lucky Hawk fans who have gotten the chance to meet, talk to and as crazy as it sounds...actually play ball with you! Of course, this was before the boys came into your life. I can absolutely tell what incredible parents you and the Mrs. are. And, I can't think of anyone I know who would ever think that either one of your boys should turn their backs on their dreams. I can't wait to hear their names called on draft day!!! I just want to see them both in the starting lineup yet this year. Hopefully that is VERY soon!

BTW, does this ring a bell? "The Hayes Classic Basketball Tournament - Muscatine"? ;)
Hell yeah!! Hayes Classic was the best! Last time I played in it, I do believe we won it!! Good ole Muscatine!! Thanks for the words. We will always be Hawkeyes.

Hell yeah!! Hayes Classic was the best! Last time I played in it, I do believe we won it!! Good ole Muscatine!! Thanks for the words. We will always be Hawkeyes.
GREAT memories buddy!! Yes, we did win it...and you lead the way! Blessing my friend!!!

Reactions: 24 so far
He’s had a few inefficient games… big deal. He’s also the primary focus of opposing defenses and continues to display an ability to score at three levels, defend, and rebound. He’s a lottery pick next year if he wants to go

What we should be discussing at a greater depth is whether or not Kris will be joining him. He’s currently a lock for at least the second round, and can play his way into the first round with more games like last night and Indiana
Keegan gonna go late 1st round to PHX(wishful thinking on my part)

It’s been a joy watching the twins play for Iowa but they can and will be NBA players. I hope they somehow both end up on the Bulls.

If Keegan goes now, at 22, then his career will be over in one year. My reasoning, according to the message board, is 23 is too old for the NBA. lol

Stop, Jees......
Just a take off on how stupid some people are on this board about age. Saying a guy needs to go right now because he is too old for the draft is bizarre. The average age in the NBA is between 26-27. With Keegan's skill he could play for many years, even if he comes back. It's like he is going to lose all his talent at 23 if he comes back. I'd say stop, jees to that.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Don't know if he will be back but I do believe they both need another year of CBB to develop their skill set. Would they be drafted? Sure but I see them struggling against NBA talent.
This opinion that guys need another year of college development is always laughable. Like staying in college and playing for Fran is better for your game than focusing on ball 24/7 and learning from the best coaches in the world.

6’8, athletic, skilled, shooting 40% from deep. His minutes are the only thing holding him back from being a sure fire late first rounder
Not saying he can't be, just that you are overstating how sure a thing it is when so few players achieve that status. I would say possible but not only not a sure thing but not even likely.

This opinion that guys need another year of college development is always laughable. Like staying in college and playing for Fran is better for your game than focusing on ball 24/7 and learning from the best coaches in the world.
Agreed, playing against a squad consisting of 1 other NBA prospect every day is somehow going to improve your skills vs playing against an entire squad of NBA prospects. Fantastic logic there.

Kenyon, loved how you played during your time at Iowa, but really, you need a new house or car? Your family is so poor that your kids have to leave college early, to start making money to support you and your wife.
We as fans certainly don't want to see your family suffer living without food on your table but thanks for allow us Iowa fans to get a sneak peek of your kids abilities even if it's only long enough to figure out which one is Keegan and which one is Kris.
Am I missing the sarcasm or are you a total imbecile?

Not saying he can't be, just that you are overstating how sure a thing it is when so few players achieve that status. I would say possible but not only not a sure thing but not even likely.
Why? Keegan is a projected lottery pick according to everybody. Is Kris the same player? No. But he does have the same frame, similar athleticism, and his stats on a per-40 minute basis are incredibly similar to Keegan’s. So why would it be unlikely that he falls out of the first round? It’s possible that he would slip, but I wouldn’t go so far as to say probable. The Murray’s are two of the most prototypical NBA players currently competing at the college level and both are playing in front of NBA scouts regularly

Keegan is the same player that skyrocketed up mock draft boards earlier in the season. What has changed is that the rest of the team has been exposed now that we are out of cupcake opponents. Keegan doesn't have much of a supporting cast outside of Kris, so defenses are pulling out all stops to deny him the ball, force him to pass or smother him. You put Keegan on a more talented team with a real coach, and he would be fare much better.

Keegan and Kris deserve a ton of credit because without them, this team would be Lickliter era bad.

Just a take off on how stupid some people are on this board about age. Saying a guy needs to go right now because he is too old for the draft is bizarre. The average age in the NBA is between 26-27. With Keegan's skill he could play for many years, even if he comes back. It's like he is going to lose all his talent at 23 if he comes back. I'd say stop, jees to that.
Your argument that the AVERAGE age is 26-27 has NOTHING to do with the drafting age. How many years have those players on average already been in the league? They want to draft these guys off their potential as early as possible so that they have them longer. Nobody here is saying that at 23 yrs old he's too old to be drafted. The fact is, (and you can look this up) most of the lottery picks are 19-21 years old. The main issue though is IF he's going to get drafted in the top 10 picks THIS year, then WHY would he come back? Another year only means one year less he can earn$, and he opens himself up to a possible injury before getting paid, and its possible he doesn't go as high next year.

Reactions: Iafootballfan
Your argument that the AVERAGE age is 26-27 has NOTHING to do with the drafting age. How many years have those players on average already been in the league? They want to draft these guys off their potential as early as possible so that they have them longer. Nobody here is saying that at 23 yrs old he's too old to be drafted. The fact is, (and you can look this up) most of the lottery picks are 19-21 years old. The main issue though is IF he's going to get drafted in the top 10 picks THIS year, then WHY would he come back? Another year only means one year less he can earn$, and he opens himself up to a possible injury before getting paid, and its possible he doesn't go as high next year.
Agreed. Lots of delusional people around here. Last year 2 seniors were drafted in the first round - Corey Kispert and Chris Duarte. Neither was projected as first rounders as juniors. Both made big leaps from their junior to senior years. The NBA likes to develop talent. They prefer to get younger guys who can be molded before they've picked up habits in college that need to be unlearned.

Both Keegan and Kris are perfect for today's NBA game, in skills, size, and athleticism. Another year of college experience isn't going to help either of them move up a draft board. IMHO, Kris would benefit from the *exposure* another year in college would give him, but I don't think the actual experience would matter that much to NBA scouts.

Lots of nonsense about both of them needing to get stronger. You mean like Garza? Oh, wait, he *lost* 30 lbs. to play in the NBA, because you know what? The NBA *ain't* the B1G.

Reactions: littlez
I don’t think there’s a single poster on this board that agrees with your NBA draft and age argument, because it’s just plain wrong. The average age in the NBA has nothing to do with what’s being discussed.

Kenyon, loved how you played during your time at Iowa, but really, you need a new house or car? Your family is so poor that your kids have to leave college early, to start making money to support you and your wife.
We as fans certainly don't want to see your family suffer living without food on your table but thanks for allow us Iowa fans to get a sneak peek of your kids abilities even if it's only long enough to figure out which one is Keegan and which one is Kris.
Dumbass post of the year and it's only Jan.

I don’t think there’s a single poster on this board that agrees with your NBA draft and age argument, because it’s just plain wrong. The average age in the NBA has nothing to do with what’s being discussed.
If he's a talent he'll be drafted next year too. His talent doesn't go away or am I just plain wrong? If he stays it won't be counted against him unless he is seriously injured. That is plain absurd and you are wrong!

He should go because the advice he gets indicates now is the time. Not that he is too friggin old!!!!

I never said if he is a top ten draft pick that he should come back. I said he could benefit from another year playing 35 minutes a game instead of sitting on the bench. They play 82 games a year and it's hard to improve watching. What I have said is that Kris is no where near that category and should come back.

Very doubtful he comes back. If it wasn’t for having a twin brother on the team the chances I’d say is slim to none. If you are a sure fire 1st rd pick you go especially since 1st unlike 2nd rd get 3 yr guaranteed deals. It’s just wishful thinking by some just like saying linderbaum would come back to play another year to improve or he enjoys being a hawk. Keegan can and will improve his game next year making a couple million while he’s at it.

Honestly My only gripe with Kenyon and the murray family is they stopped at 3 kids and didn’t have more.

I am excited for either Murray’s future. Glad for their development and the players seem to be putting max effort. But I do wish the roster came together a bit more so they had an opportunity to make a run in the tournament in Hawkeye uniforms. Kris isn’t getting enough minutes and Keegan can’t do it all. This roster at the one thru 3 position certainly could be making and defending 3 ball much better.

I appreciate rebraca’s effort but he is often out maxed beyond his control.

I hope I am wrong but it appears this team will beat teams finishing .500 but fail to compete against tourney teams. But it’s still fun to see the players individually battle, it’s not their fault the roster has weaknesses that it does.

Why? Keegan is a projected lottery pick according to everybody. Is Kris the same player? No. But he does have the same frame, similar athleticism, and his stats on a per-40 minute basis are incredibly similar to Keegan’s. So why would it be unlikely that he falls out of the first round? It’s possible that he would slip, but I wouldn’t go so far as to say probable. The Murray’s are two of the most prototypical NBA players currently competing at the college level and both are playing in front of NBA scouts regularly
We both like him and his game. I am just saying in my opinion you are way under estimating how hard it is to get taken in the 1st round. We will just have to agree to disagree on this one and wait to see what happens.

Reactions: unoHawkeye
IMO, Keegan will be 100% gone and it's possible but not as likely Kris too. I'm confident Kenyon knows the process to a fair or great degree, and has others he can reach out to that do know it well for advice.

The NBA largely drafts on potential, and Kris has to be enticing in that regard as well. You're probably rolling the dice a bit thinking he could go first round this year, and that would be a mistake if it didn't happen, IMO. I believe he'll work his way into the upper tier of that first round with another year at Iowa. For all we know he might be the better pro down the road. Nothing is guaranteed from either of course (unless it's guaranteed money of course! Ha!).

I wish them well regardless of what they ultimately do, and it's been a pleasure watching them at Iowa. I won't be watching them in the NBA, but I'll follow along reading about them from time to time if it all comes to fruition. The character of the league will automatically rise when the Murray boy's enter it due to the way they conduct themselves, that much I know for certain. I'm also certain they know who to Thank for that.

IMO, Keegan will be 100% gone and it's possible but not as likely Kris too. I'm confident Kenyon knows the process to a fair or great degree, and has others he can reach out to that do know it well for advice.

The NBA largely drafts on potential, and Kris has to be enticing in that regard as well. You're probably rolling the dice a bit thinking he could go first round this year, and that would be a mistake if it didn't happen, IMO. I believe he'll work his way into the upper tier of that first round with another year at Iowa. For all we know he might be the better pro down the road. Nothing is guaranteed from either of course (unless it's guaranteed money of course! Ha!).

I wish them well regardless of what they ultimately do, and it's been a pleasure watching them at Iowa. I won't be watching them in the NBA, but I'll follow along reading about them from time to time if it all comes to fruition. The character of the league will automatically rise when the Murray boy's enter it due to the way they conduct themselves, that much I know for certain. I'm also certain they know who to Thank for that.
Thank you for the words on KnK! They makes us proud on their character (basketball aside)!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT