ADVERTISEMENT

Will today's Presser with the new OC Tim Lester be online to watch?

I'm encouraged. Tim is like a breath of fresh air after the last few years of watching BF with his nuts in a vice.

I will say that I am the last Hawkeye fan that is not convinced that KF controls the offense any more than the defense. We have no idea who BF wanted to use as a QB. We have no idea what BF would have done differently than what we saw on the field. I just don't think a former HC like Lester would come here to be told what to do everyday. But, as I say, I feel like the only one that thinks that way.

I haven't watched the entire video yet, but they talk about a change in Seth's duties at all? Or is simply awarding an excellent coach with a nice title?

What selfish coaching colleague was Kirk talking about from 35 years ago?

Any ideas?

Jack Cosgrove at Maine???
I thought that too, but Jack has spoken highly of Kirk and was his OC his entire time there. I doubt he would keep a guy he apparently loathed.

I am thinking his math is off or he is speaking about another coach on Iowa staff. Carl Jackson was the OC after Bill left and he was the first guy KF hired when he came back to Iowa. It's not him. Don Patterson still works as an analyst for Iowa and was not a job hopper.

He mentioned 2 elite QBs. 88-89 Iowa had Chuck Hartlieb and a freshmen Matt Rodgers.

Del Miller left after that year. I think its him.

I missed that comment. What was it all about? Seems a bit awkward
Kirk wanted a guy that fit in with the rest of his staff and was about the whole team and not themselves and their stats. Referenced some decades ago where he was on a staff where that happened.

Reactions: BonzoFury
I'm encouraged. Tim is like a breath of fresh air after the last few years of watching BF with his nuts in a vice.

I will say that I am the last Hawkeye fan that is not convinced that KF controls the offense any more than the defense. We have no idea who BF wanted to use as a QB. We have no idea what BF would have done differently than what we saw on the field. I just don't think a former HC like Lester would come here to be told what to do everyday. But, as I say, I feel like the only one that thinks that way.

I haven't watched the entire video yet, but they talk about a change in Seth's duties at all? Or is simply awarding an excellent coach with a nice title?
Basically a promotion without added duties right now. Kirk made mention that if he had to be gone for something like a funeral that Seth would have to run the practice if there were one or assume game if Kirk were out for a game for some reason.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur

You're not the only one.
me also.

Wonder if the coach Kirk was referirng to was from his days, long ago, at Pitt?

During the interview with Kirk did he say they were looking for a WR coach yet?
Tim, I believe said he would be QB coach.
He did. He said the position is open, and hoped to fill in the next week? Maybe he said next couple of weeks?

Holy shit! I don't know if Lester will be successful, but it's really nice hearing our OC talking about all the different types of offenses he has experience in, and knowing he's qualified to be in the position. The lynchpin to his success is Kirk staying out of offensive decisions, but his comments sold me and it's nice to feel excitement again.

No, You're not the only one.

It's a welcome sight to see someone up there with a wide swath of experience at multiple levels and positions as a coach and coordinator, as well as someone who was an actual QB.

Lester seems like a nice and respectable guy, but I'm still reserving any kind of excitement until I see the product on the field.

Reactions: HawkeyeinOmaha
Finally watched the whole thing. Lester is solid, lots of great knowledge and perspective. Likeable guy. Already sounds like a nice upgrade.

The idea that he's flexible, likes to morph to his players' strengths, make adjustments in game are refreshing. One thing that did come through pretty clear is that he and KFz aren't interested in a mobile QB. It's nice if a guy can run...but we don't want him to. So that ain't changin'

Kirk does not look and sound good. Seth sounds like a Head Coach in waiting. Sharp guy.

I passed by him after the game in Lincoln 3 years ago at the south side of the stadium. He was pretty much by himself and talking to his wife or some lady.

I said, great game today coach. He kinda gave me a double look and said, the Hawkeyes were great today, Go Hawks.

I got the impression this guy was built to be a Hawkeye for a very long time.

Reactions: F5n5
Lester seems confident to me, almost giddy, that's a good sign. Tells me he's looked at the shit show and thinks, yeah, I can improve this mess immediately.
What an opportunity for any offensive coach with a pulse.
I'm excited.

he seems a little more loose than the coaches we have seen recently. reminds me a little of Norm. Norm was hands down the funniest coach I ever saw on the I club circuit. That's a good thing IMO. I even saw Kirk grin after Lester's opening statement.

KF was clearly fighting a cold virus.
There is a nasty one going around .. I have it myself..it sucks.

If true, he missed that guess on how long ago by a decade.
Yeah, but didn’t he say 25 years first, then correct himself to 35 years? He was kind of all over the place. Maybe he was trying a little misdirection.

Reactions: ichawk24
With Lester's history (played HS in Chicago western suburbs, coached at Elmhurst also western suburbs), I wonder if this will lend itself to a pipeline of Chicago area talent coming to or considering Iowa.

Yes, we've had success there but his ties may be a factor.
Great point. Iowa has recruited Illinois very well over the years but with his connections that may take it to the next level. WR recruiting needs to be a focus and Chicago area has a lot of WR talent.

Reactions: hawkdave007
One thing that did come through pretty clear is that he and KFz aren't interested in a mobile QB. It's nice if a guy can run...but we don't want him to. So that ain't changin'
Maybe there's something I didn't pick up on between the lines, but I didn't get that impression at ALL from watching Lester yesterday. He did not say "we don't want him to run" so am not sure where that's coming from.

Yes, Lester said he wouldn't sacrifice "efficiency" (a QB that can make the throws and lead a team down the field) in exchange for a guy that can run a little faster, but he also said he's always on the lookout for a QB that can run. Ideally one that can throw AND run. Something to that effect.

KF has never seemed interested in a running type of QB, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Max_Rebo
Maybe there's something I didn't pick up on between the lines, but I didn't get that impression at ALL from watching Lester yesterday. He did not say "we don't want him to run" so am not sure where that's coming from.

Yes, Lester said he wouldn't sacrifice "efficiency" (a QB that can make the throws and lead a team down the field) in exchange for a guy that can run a little faster, but he also said he's always on the lookout for a QB that can run. Ideally one that can throw AND run. Something to that effect.

KF has never seemed interested in a running type of QB, though.

Lester's answer:
  • I value efficiency. Mobility would be a bonus. If I can get both, 100% I'm all for it. I mean, who doesn't want that, right? But there has to be efficiency first, right. I think sometimes people get enamored with the mobility...and when they have to drop back on a 3rd down and get us a first down or a two minute drill to win us the game, that we can't fall short in that scenario. You have to play quarterback first, you gotta be able to move the sticks with your feet, and the more you can do the more we can do when it comes to running the ball....so it's a great icing on the cake if you can have that, so I'm always looking for it. But I'm not going to go away from a guy that can execute an offense and make throws and be efficient as a quarterback just cause if he can't do that I'm not going to just take him because he can run a little faster, you know what I mean?

I think this is a pretty standard answer for anyone running an offense that isn't focused on the QB running the ball. I also think this is a pretty far deviation from Brian literally saying that the longer the ball is in the QB's hands, the worse it is for Iowa's offense and that he doesn't want the QB being a playmaker.

Lester's first QB at Western Michigan was Jon Wassink, who was a pro style QB and, as described by Lester, Wassink's best strength was drop back passing rather than RPO.
  • In the 3 years he started for Western Michigan, Wassink ran for 607 yards.
  • Comparatively, in the last 3 years Iowa's QBs have combined to lose 466 yards rushing.
  • Wassink ran for 319 yards his senior season.
    • That is more than any Hawkeye QB since Brad Banks rushed for 423 yards in 2002. Beathard had 237 in 2015.
    • The most rushing yards by any Hawkeye starting QB while Brian was OC is 7 yards by Nate Stanley in 2019.
Brian absolutely did not want his QB to try to make plays with their feet. Lester seems a lot more open to the QB making plays with his feet.

Reactions: TampaHawkfan
Lester's answer:
  • I value efficiency. Mobility would be a bonus. If I can get both, 100% I'm all for it. I mean, who doesn't want that, right? But there has to be efficiency first, right. I think sometimes people get enamored with the mobility...and when they have to drop back on a 3rd down and get us a first down or a two minute drill to win us the game, that we can't fall short in that scenario. You have to play quarterback first, you gotta be able to move the sticks with your feet, and the more you can do the more we can do when it comes to running the ball....so it's a great icing on the cake if you can have that, so I'm always looking for it. But I'm not going to go away from a guy that can execute an offense and make throws and be efficient as a quarterback just cause if he can't do that I'm not going to just take him because he can run a little faster, you know what I mean?

I think this is a pretty standard answer for anyone running an offense that isn't focused on the QB running the ball. I also think this is a pretty far deviation from Brian literally saying that the longer the ball is in the QB's hands, the worse it is for Iowa's offense and that he doesn't want the QB being a playmaker.

Lester's first QB at Western Michigan was Jon Wassink, who was a pro style QB and, as described by Lester, Wassink's best strength was drop back passing rather than RPO.
  • In the 3 years he started for Western Michigan, Wassink ran for 607 yards.
  • Comparatively, in the last 3 years Iowa's QBs have combined to lose 466 yards rushing.
  • Wassink ran for 319 yards his senior season.
    • That is more than any Hawkeye QB since Brad Banks rushed for 423 yards in 2002. Beathard had 237 in 2015.
    • The most rushing yards by any Hawkeye starting QB while Brian was OC is 7 yards by Nate Stanley in 2019.
Brian absolutely did not want his QB to try to make plays with their feet. Lester seems a lot more open to the QB making plays with his feet.
Good summary and thanks for the write up. After reading through that, it makes me wonder if it was BF that was the biggest impediment to having a mobile QB, even more so than KF. Not that KF really seemed to fully embrace it, but before BF as OC, we had Banks, Tate, CJB, etc. who started at QB. Stanzi seemed mobile enough, also. Our QB's have been bolted to the ground since BF took the reigns.

Also couldn't help but notice in the bowl game, after Marco did all of that running on the first series (granted, maybe a little recklessly lol).. He came back out for the second series and just sat in the pocket. Just speculating, but I have no doubt that he was talked to after that first series. Result? Three and out.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT