ADVERTISEMENT

Wittlake flips to OSU

Hypothetical question here. Would it be in violation of NCAA rules for a program to provide wrestling shoes or other apparel to a recruit while the recruit is still in high school?

So what would the punishment look like for a program like PSU if they "hypothetically" provided equipment to any of the 2019 recruits.

Busiello has been wearing that singlet forever. It was not given to him by PSU

a "don't do it again" note to stick in the file would be the punishment.

That was my thought. I'm sure these occurrences are prevalent throughout college athletics and I'm sure the NCAA has bigger fish to fry with basketball and football abuses.

Weigh the infraction against the benefit the student is getting. Better question, why would an NCAA wrestling program want to give a kid a pair of shoes...how do you become an elite level recruit without the ability to put shoes on your feet? Plus, all PSU recruits have super duper rich uncles!

I have seen colleges donate used equipment to a high school or two when they purchased new. Mainly football stuff-shoulder pads, helmets. Wrestling shoes would be a worthwhile donation also.

Reactions: nitlion6
I have seen colleges donate used equipment to a high school or two when they purchased new. Mainly football stuff-shoulder pads, helmets. Wrestling shoes would be a worthwhile donation also.

I'm not thinking donation. I'm thinking more of a thanks for committing/visiting, here's some new apparel for you like giving a basketball recruit a new pair of Jordan's rather than donating basketballs or football pads to a poor school district.

I'm not thinking donation. I'm thinking more of a thanks for committing/visiting, here's some new apparel for you like giving a basketball recruit a new pair of Jordan's rather than donating basketballs or football pads to a poor school district.
Or maybe the recruit you’re thinking of has been a life long PSU fan, his dad a life long PSU fan and they buy their own PSU stuff because they are....well.... because they are life long PSU fans.

Last edited by a moderator:
Or maybe the recruit you’re thinking of has been a life long PSU fan, his dad a life long PSU fan and they buy their own PSU shit because they are....well.... because they are life long PSU fans.

Let's just assume I'm just asking a hypothetical question here.

Not the example I'm thinking of.
If you’re talking about Brooks at the football game that I referenced, he and his father have been up numerous times and probably bought something.

That said - do kids get loaners because I see pics of football recruits on rivals main boards at games and a lot are wearing school gear. Maybe they just buy something - especially if they are really into the school

If you’re talking about Brooks at the football game that I referenced, he and his father have been up numerous times and probably bought something.

That said - do kids get loaners because I see pics of football recruits on rivals main boards at games and a lot are wearing school gear. Maybe they just buy something - especially if they are really into the school
When you see the kids signing their letters of intent all decked out in their college gear, I always assumed the apparel fairy flew by and dropped them off. So you’re telling me they may actually buy that stuff? With their own money? Hmmm...

I like guessing games, so at first I thought you might be referring to RBY and his mom sporting PSU gear at his LOI signing ceremony. But then I remembered you said 2019 recruit, so I'm stumped. :confused:

When you see the kids signing their letters of intent all decked out in their college gear, I always assumed the apparel fairy flew by and dropped them off. So you’re telling me they may actually buy that stuff? With their own money? Hmmm...
Remember the UF recruit who brought a baby alligator to his commitment ceremony? LOL. Everyone thought he was doing the hat thing and out comes a baby gator

Reactions: LumbeeIndian

I'm sorry to be coy here. I'm simply trying to understand the rules. I'm not going to get into a specific example but need to better understand the rules. Let's just hypothesize that there is an issue that can be confirmed in which a program purchased apparel for a recruit as a "thank you" gift. I'm not talking about a situation in which a recruit was seen wearing apparel and speculating about the origin of purchase or an example of donating equipment to a team. I'll simply refer to an analogy of a program buying a recruit Jordan's or a new baseball bat.

Reactions: el dub
I like guessing games, so at first I thought you might be referring to RBY and his mom sporting PSU gear at his LOI signing ceremony. But then I remembered you said 2019 recruit, so I'm stumped. :confused:
He’s hypothetically speaking. So if you want, pick someone like Santa Claus on the sidelines, sporting a pair of ASIC Aggressors as he watches the game with Zain and Nolf.

I'm sorry to be coy here. I'm simply trying to understand the rules. I'm not going to get into a specific example but need to better understand the rules. Let's just hypothesize that there is an issue that can be confirmed in which a program purchased apparel for a recruit as a "thank you" gift. I'm not talking about a situation in which a recruit was seen wearing apparel and speculating about the origin of purchase or an example of donating equipment to a team. I'll simply refer to an analogy of a program buying a recruit Jordan's or a new baseball bat.
I’ll be honest, I don’t take the time to fully understand the rules. If I were you, I’d ask the Vodka in Heaven guy. I’d bet my life he could answer any questions you might have. Or at the very least, he’d write up a 500 page summation of what he feels is or isn’t allowed.

The answer is easy; it is a violation to provide those type of items either as an inducement to sign or as a gift for signing. Attempting to determine what the NCAA would do as far as a penalty is impossible because you never know what they might do and it’s usually different depending on the school involved.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
He’s hypothetically speaking. So if you want, pick someone like Santa Claus on the sidelines, sporting a pair of ASIC Aggressors as he watches the game with Zain and Nolf.
You are just a ray of sunshine. I would bet universities out there are giving stuff out to wrestlers, to think they aren't is quite neieve. I don't think PSU is giving out clothing though. Don't think they would be stupid enough to do that. I think wrestling is in the relm of possibilities for boosters to take care of things for guys. No idea which universities, just think it's a definite possibility.

I think when on an official visit they allowed to receive some swag. That is how I have understood it at least. Could be wrong.

Would love to glance at all the rules someday.

Reactions: Flying_Tiger
I'm guessing this has more to do with Smith's recent interview on Flo with him being 50% pissed off at the slated 184 pounder and possibly starting a true freshman now instead...pretty much said without naming names that Moore shouldn't be on the team. All signs point to more money opening up with a potential scholarship being pulled at 184 from the current lineup and OSU increasing their offer to Wittlake with that gap. But, ignore the facts and speculate all you want that Cael is corrupt.

Reactions: Spoons
I'm guessing this has more to do with Smith's recent interview on Flo with him being 50% pissed off at the slated 184 pounder and possibly starting a true freshman now instead...pretty much said without naming names that Moore shouldn't be on the team. All signs point to more money opening up with a potential scholarship being pulled at 184 from the current lineup and OSU increasing their offer to Wittlake with that gap. But, ignore the facts and speculate all you want that Cael is corrupt.
It's not Cael...It's the assistance, just like in football an basketball. The head coach knows nothing..

No expert, but if you're the overall number two recruit in the nation, "ain't" college gonna be free?????

These things are not mutually exclusive.

Are you saying Iowa is guilty of recruiting violations?

Does every thread on this board evolve into a conversation about how PSU must be cheating?

Just asking for a friend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT