ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa vs Oregon State Predictions 11/19/2023

Not taking sides at all in what one should take away from the Kim / Hill match but I gotta chime in

1. D1 vs D2 vs D3 and who competes at which level I think really needs to be done on a sport by sport level .

Comparing football to wrestling not fair .

There are numerous examples of D3 baseball players playing in the pros . Again not fair .

2 lots of reasons kids go d2 or d3 the top ones I can think of are scholarships , playing time, academics and time commitment .

3 with all that said, I can’t think of anyone I know or know of that was elite at there sport that didn’t go d1. But to be honest if I try hard enough I would think of someone .

Then I was reminded of this…

I’m sure there have been a few, but the only non-Division 1 wrestler that I can think of that was elite in the sport was Tervel Dlagnev. 2X D-2 champ and then Olympic Bronze. Beat some D-1 champs in the trials IIRC.

Last edited:
The issue isn't that the DOJ investigated Iowa & ISU athletes. Most athletes didn't do anything illegal, so therefor they are safe from prosecution and the investigation proved that.

But what the coaches are pissed at, is that the DOJ then turned their findings over to the NCAA. From my understanding these were findings that the NCAA would have never had access to without the DOJ handing it over.

No conspiracy, just a severe breach of privacy.

From that perspective, the coaches have every right to be pissed.

Perhaps I'm wrong and if so, please someone correct me.

The DOJ didn’t turn over anything to the NCAA. The respective universities did. They have an obligation to do so. Just as the DOJ had an obligation to turn over findings to the schools.

Reactions: el dub
I thought it was established that the DOJ targeted Iowa and Iowa State because an athlete's mom said someone was using her credit card to place wagers.

Is Tom suggesting some sort of conspiracy theory?

The latter.
that and....when the state made gambling legal they set aside money for the DCI to investigate if needed. Those departments do not sit on budgeted money. They will lose it if they do nothing.

The perfect storm.

I’m sure there have been a few, but the only non-Division 1 wrestler that I can think of that was elite in the sport was Tervel Dlagnev. 2X D-2 champ and then Olympic Bronze. Beat some D-1 champs in the trials IIRC.
Off the top of my head: Tom Meester (Augustana via Rock Rapids, IA) placed in the top 5 or 6 at the US Open meeting multiple AA’s in doing so (idk if Meester really meets the criteria for elite but through him in as an Iowa Hs product). Les Sigman made several US teams after being a 2x d2 champ. Carleton Haselrg won a couple D1 titles. Mark Manning made several US teams following a D2 career. Rick Sanders was an Olympian. Jody Strittmatter transferred to Iowa from D2. I’m sure there are more but there are few and far between that are at the elite level.

Off the top of my head: Tom Meester (Augustana via Rock Rapids, IA) placed in the top 5 or 6 at the US Open meeting multiple AA’s in doing so (idk if Meester really meets the criteria for elite but through him in as an Iowa Hs product). Les Sigman made several US teams after being a 2x d2 champ. Carleton Haselrg won a couple D1 titles. Mark Manning made several US teams following a D2 career. Rick Sanders was an Olympian. Jody Strittmatter transferred to Iowa from D2. I’m sure there are more but there are few and far between that are at the elite level.
Sigman won 4 D2 titles.

Reactions: Sdwrestler_20
It’s really just case by case in wrestling. The vast majority of the time, a D3 champ would not make the podium at the D1 level. They would be somewhere between 25+ seed through DNQ types at the D1 level. But on rare occasion there’s an exception, like the Wartburg HWT from Spencer, Iowa several years ago. He could compete. I’m sure a lot of others could make that list.

My take is the Augsburg guy isn’t the exception but would be one who’d be a decent bet to qualify, and Hill lost by 1.
Funny I spent a good time pondering what that number was and I’d have gone higher than 25 but certainly can’t argue with that number . Than of course you have D1 teams that have multiple at one spot ie caliendo, PK

My only point intended was that there are good quality athletes at the D3 level who just choose to compete there. The vast majority of the time there is a reason why they are there and that is the talent. But some can compete just fine at the D1 level. Heck - the Bears have a D2 guy starting at QB as a rookie in the NFL. I have no dog in the fight here, as they say. Just in this case I didn't think it was an automatic reason to write off Hill.
sir, i come here to escape the bears. keep them off HR for the love of god

From a Packers fan - I hope they screw up another QB. No offense.
Also a packers fan. At this point I’m hoping Green Bay looses so we can get a top three pick. I want Williams, Harrison jr, or Maye.

It’s weird being in this position after 30 years of good qb play. But alas, finishing 7-11 doesn’t help make the team better.

I predict that Gabe Arnold goes for the Hawkeyes at 174 against Wittlake as the first real test to determine whether or not Gabe redshirts. I think Gabe passes the test and beats Wittlake in a close match 4-2. Go Hawks!
star-wars-revenge-of-sith.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT