ADVERTISEMENT

Zion W. was Paid to Pick Duke

Oh my gosh! Say it ain't so! The bluebloods are paying players to keep them on top? Who woulda thunk it?

BTW, I got a couple of hundred to toss into the pot if it will make a difference.

People who dont think Duke paid Zion to play there make me laugh. Not that there wasnt others throwing cash at him. Why would he play at Duke? Common sense

Probably both Adidas and Nike paid him and the highest bidder won, I doubt he returned the funds to the loser though! I'd be surprised if anything happens to Duke, it is Duke after-all.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
Shocked I tell you.... My buddy is a big Clemson fan and claimed this to be true years ago. Supposedly Zion was set to announce for Clemson and changed his mind at the last minute.

You think Adidas paid for Zion to go to a Nike school?

That makes sense.

It's the perfect guise ;)

Plus, it's brand development... exposure is all they wanted till he left for NBA so school be it Adidas or Nike or whatever is basically irrelevant in a 1 year situation... they are playing the long game.

I think Fran and his staff are phenomenal recruiters considering this is the type of stuff they are up against.

I don't know about phenomenal. I don't think Adidas and Nike are throwing money at every kid in the top 150 (maybe they are, I don't know). But certainly, I've long assumed that if one of the blue bloods ever started recruiting a guy Iowa was after that was it, end of story. Not all of those kids are getting paid, but I would guess nearly all of the players on Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc were/are. So if Name, Likeness and image is approved does all of this just disappear? As in the shoe companies can outright pay kids if they want?

College basketball, at the top levels, is a cesspool. Period.

Reactions: Raptorpeeps
He gets National Attention/visability, gets the 1 word identity " Zion" like "LeBron" "Michael"

Adidias has him locked up when he turns pro - bad look for Nike

Yep once he leaves the Pelicans and really turns pro, they got him locked up for sure.

Reactions: Legend12
I always assumed Duke cheated just as much as anybody.

always amused me people declared Duke “does it the right way”.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT