ADVERTISEMENT

Brody Grothus

Somehow I missed that. You are correct. It is plus 3 pounds I believe as well, so that is 155. Maybe he competes at 157 as early as this next year. I still think Redshirting is the wisest choice, but if the team title can be had and Kemerer is the best option available, then I think you have to go with him.

I can't see pulling the redshirt on Kemmerer no matter what this year. He is not ready to AA this year at 157 - why would you pull a RS when you are not going to get points from this? He is going to be real good, but a 157 AA this year would be a very tall order considering the competition there as a true frosh who wrestled 145 this year. Give him the year he needs.

Reactions: HAWKMANN
I don't expect Stoll to come out and do as well as Adam Coon did off the bat. He will win most of his matches and be close with the top guys. A low AA is possible this year but I expect he will be much more dominate his sophomore year.

I'm honestly not sure what to expect from Stoll. Very highly rated recruit, excellent Greco skills. I found these two items very interesting regarding Stoll, note I still don't know the validity of 1.

1. Highest rated recruit at Heavyweight for Iowa since Mocco.

2. I am not sure the exact number, but of the 12 or so NCAA DI wrestlers who are currently eligible for a Olympic Redshirt next season (Dieringer, Snyder, Dean, Gwiz, Coon, Imar, Valancia) one of them is Stoll.

The Big Ten is going to be pretty interesting next year at Heavyweight, where 4 former All Americans are moving along, and a wealth of young super talented heavyweights and a couple a seasoned veterans filling the void.

Penn State- Nevills, #5
Ohio State- Haines, #9
Northwestern- Chakonis, #18
Iowa- Stoll, #14
Illinois- Black, #9
Michigan, Coon, #2
Minnesota, Kroells, #22

Experienced veterans
Rutgers, Billy Smith, #51
Wisconsin, Medberry, #62

All this talent, yet only 3 returning AA's now. Should be a fun weight class.

It's always hard to tell how long it's going to take high school kids to adjust. Kemerer's redshirt will only be pulled if he performs exceptionally well AND his presence could help us win a title. I do think he has good basic skills that will translate immediately, but am not sure if he is big enough for 157 his first year.

I can't see pulling the redshirt on Kemmerer no matter what this year. He is not ready to AA this year at 157 - why would you pull a RS when you are not going to get points from this? He is going to be real good, but a 157 AA this year would be a very tall order considering the competition there as a true frosh who wrestled 145 this year. Give him the year he needs.
We get it you don't think Iowa has anyone that can score any points at any weights next year. and they should just all wrestle 149. What if we pulled Kemmerer's shirt and had him shot for 149. You would probably think it was worth it then.

Didn't PSU wrestle Conaway as a true freshman? I have to think Kremmerer is a better recruit than Conaway. He is a top kid and you just don't know how much he can improve in a D1 room. I agree if he is the best option and has any shot of scoring points you put him out there next year.

Reactions: TarpHawk

I agree with you Diceman. Kemerer didn't cut much weight this year to make 145. He wrestled 106 (FR), 126 (So), 138 (Jr) and 145 as a (Sr). He is still growing (his father is about 6 ft tall) and would benefit nicely from a redshirt year. You have to love his motor and relentless attacks. I am a huge Kemerer fan and have watched him since elementary school. He is a good kid, great student and teammate and works as hard as any HS kid. He is going to have a great career at Iowa but will most likely not be ready to AA or generate meaningful points at 157 next year.

If pulling Kemerer's redshirt was the difference maker for Iowa to win a NC it would probably make more sense to bump Sorenson to 157 and have Kemerer go at 149. 157 is stacked next year. Including Imar, I believe there are 5 (Imar, Brascetta, Miller, Murphy, Minotti) returning AA's from last year. 157 also has 3 top RS freshmen (Nolf, Micah Jordan, Marsteller) likely to compete for a place on the podium as well.

If you are not able to get comfortable with Sorenson at 157 (after two years in the room and a 4th place finish at 149) what makes you believe that a true Freshman moving up from 145, will AA next year and deliver the needed points to win a NC?

You don't know how good he's going to be in early 2016. We're 7+ months away from even having to make this decision. Every guy here has qualified their statement with an "if Kemmerer can produce" type comment. I don't think anyone is saying to pull the shirt on a guy they think is going to go 2-2 or 1-2 at NCAA's. P.S. I don't think he'll produce high AA type points either but a lot can happen between now and then.

Reactions: wasdt21 and moug
If Kemmerer didn't cut much weight to go 145 this past year why isn't he in the conversation for 141? That seems logical to me as 141 is just as much a need weight as 157.

If Kemmerer didn't cut much weight to go 145 this past year why isn't he in the conversation for 141? That seems logical to me as 141 is just as much a need weight as 157.
I actually do think his name was thrown out there for 141 in a Andy Hamilton article about the hole at 141. I am not sure it was anything more than speculation though.

This would qualify as too much common sense..............................

The kid is wrestling 152 in an out of season tournament. Most likely on full feed. Forget about him at 157 for Iowa this year. Ain't happening.

Reactions: PapaBearSLIM
Cooper is wrestling 154 this weekend at universities so I hope that means he is working toward putting on weigh to wrestle 157 next year.
The next weight down is 143 so I don't think it rules out a go at 149 for the season.
Sorensen is also at 154 this weekend so maybe the wrestleoffs will be handled sooner this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT