ADVERTISEMENT

2023-24 Big Ten MBB Discussion Thread

fun game to watch between tosu and wvu. In OT with tosu leading under 2 mins.
I still don't know what to think of OSU. WVU and UCLA are both having very down years and OSU struggled against both for a time. Their best win is probably against an 8-5 Bama who is still a top-5 KenPom team somehow with 5 losses. But then you add in that OSU has lost to a terrible Penn State team and a middling A&M team. I think this OSU team is likely a tournament team still, but I'm not sure if they are a top-4 team in the league that most pundits seem to be claiming.

Reactions: SDHawkDoc
I still don't know what to think of OSU. WVU and UCLA are both having very down years and OSU struggled against both for a time. Their best win is probably against an 8-5 Bama who is still a top-5 KenPom team somehow with 5 losses. But then you add in that OSU has lost to a terrible Penn State team and a middling A&M team. I think this OSU team is likely a tournament team still, but I'm not sure if they are a top-4 team in the league that most pundits seem to be claiming.
That particular game was fun to watch as a fan of college b-ball. I'm with you in that tosu does not overly impress with their performance so far. They look like one of the 6-7 tourney qualifiers that the B1G will get, but not much more than that.

Reactions: HawkHoops80
Wisconsin 51 - Nebraska 38 at half. Wiscy shooting 59 % with 7-13 on threes in the first half.
Nebraska is all about 3 point shooting. If its not falling they are done. Wisky is going to finish in the top tier this year so that was not a bad loss but Nebraska will be a tough out especially at there place!

Rutgers 30 - Indiana 27 at halftime at the RAC. Indiana has 11 first half TOs. Both teams were throwing up a lot of bricks.

This Indiana/Rutgers game isn't doing much to change my belief that the B1G isn't very good below Purdue and Wisconsin. The Michigan loss is looking damn near as bad as the Eastern Illinois loss last season.
UM is supposedly losing McDaniel to academic ineligibility starting 2nd semester as well, to make it worse.

The only silver lining is I don't think it's going to fall into a Q4. They built up too much of a NET cushion early on in the year for them to drop that far--they have a better NET than 5 other Big Ten teams even.

Penn State has a win slip thru their fingers against Northwestern. jNW has a fantastic backcourt but overall as a team they've been so up and down this season.

Dug apparently just avoided being fully academically ineligible this semester. But Michigan decided that Dug needed to show he can attend class every day until mid-term before he is out of the dog-house. And since you can't attend class while you are traveling for basketball, this was their solution. Can't recall another school ever doing this, but makes sense on paper since his only issue was academics.

Reactions: Mohawkeye
Because the school is shameless
Most schools wouldn't have suspended him at all once he was cleared by NCAA standards, which if he's allowed to play home games means that he cleared those. It's one of the rare instances where the school is self-imposing a suspension on their best player when they didn't necessarily need to.

Surprised Illinois hung on. They are riding with only 6 guys right now. I don't know what to think of them, what they have right now doesn't seem sustainable.
I don't get why Dainja is getting so few minutes still as the 7th man. It seems like Underwood is just refusing to play him and Coleman together for some reason, even though they started together most of last year.

I don't get why Dainja is getting so few minutes still as the 7th man. It seems like Underwood is just refusing to play him and Coleman together for some reason, even though they started together most of last year.
Probably in the doghouse.? Yeah seems strange. By the time tournaments roll around they might be out of gas.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
MSU rounding into form...beat RU at home by 14.
Still puzzled by the lack of play for top ten big recruit from Indy.
RU misses Cam Spencer (shooter) big time.

MSU rounding into form...beat RU at home by 14.
Still puzzled by the lack of play for top ten big recruit from Indy.
RU misses Cam Spencer (shooter) big time.
Xavier Booker is a very talented kid but he has had a "motor" issue. He wasn't even the best player on his high school team. Izzo is going to have to get him motivated.

Reactions: HawkHoops80
Xavier Booker is a very talented kid but he has had a "motor" issue. He wasn't even the best player on his high school team. Izzo is going to have to get him motivated.
It's also one of those things where if he wanted immediate playing time he made a dumb school choice. Sissoko and Hall were always expected back + Cooper and Kohler showed flashes as freshmen. He was always facing an uphill battle for playing time with all of their big depth.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT