ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Recruiting. Orig Post Updated Jan 1. ZERO Scholarships Currently Available. 34 Offers So Far (incl. Pryce Sandfort, Owen Freeman, Brock Harding)

As I mentioned above, Iowa is keeping an eye on/ has interest in Brock Harding.

Kirk Speraw watched him play in a game in person on Jan 12, 2022. Brock then visited Iowa the NEXT DAY for the Jan 13, 2022 Indiana game.

Owen Freeman seems to like him. Owen is #32 in the videos that follow from this past weekend's NY2LA Sports Swish N’ Dish.

Brock has at least 7 offers now:
Loyola-Chicago, Western Illinois, SE Missouri State, Illinois State, Drake, Colorado State and Bradley.

Check these out & Watch:

Last edited:
I just don't see a 6' kid at 155 lb being able to handle a 6'4 200lb player on either offense or defense. Maybe I am wrong, but doesn't seem likely.

Reactions: Hawkstrat
I just don't see a 6' kid at 155 lb being able to handle a 6'4 200lb player on either offense or defense. Maybe I am wrong, but doesn't seem likely.
Yes, I know but this kid is really athletic. Can dunk the ball and has a killer crossover. I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages and I think he would be a backup/situational player, at least until he develops further.

Iowa is keeping an eye on/ has interest in Brock Harding. Kirk Speraw watched him play in a game in person on Jan 12, 2022. Brock visited Iowa for the Jan 13, 2022 Indiana game.

Fran and his assistants were watching Brock this past weekend in Indianapolis. Brock is teammates with 2023 commit Owen Freeman.

This is a FREE story on the latest.
As you will read, Harding said it’s hard not to notice when coaches like Fran McCaffery are watching his games and evaluating his performance. In addition to Iowa, Harding said that Iowa State and Minnesota are continuing to evaluate him.

Owen Freeman has already committed.

With at least 4 more scholarships available for 2023, who else?

(1) Iowa is obviously after Pryce Sandfort & likely will land him.

This is a good story from HawkCentral. The link to the full story is at the end of this post.

Some excerpts:

(2) T.J. Power, SF, Worcester Academy (Massachusetts): Iowa always recruits well on the East Coast, and Power, a skilled 6-7 wing, is a top target from that region. He landed his Hawkeyes offer way back in August 2020 and officially visited Iowa City last October. He's a four-star talent with other high-major offers from the likes of Xavier, Wake Forest, Oklahoma, Miami, Providence and more.

"Coach McCaffery came to my game on Sunday," Powers told me this week, "and called me saying I played really well after."

(3) JaQualon Roberts, SF/PF, Bloomington North (Indiana): Iowa hosted the super versatile 6-7 Roberts in December for an unofficial visit after offering him in October, and that interest has remained strong. Roberts told me the Hawkeyes were courtside to watch him in Indianapolis this past weekend with Indiana Elite.

He has also visited Indiana and Cincinnati and taken an official visit to Marquette. He is from Bloomington, so, if Indiana is serious about him, you'd have to figure the Hoosier pull is strong. But there haven't been any indications Roberts is a lock for Indiana.

(4) Joseph "JP" Estrella, PF, Brewster Academy (New Hampshire): Iowa is looking to land its second consecutive Brewster product, with former Brewster point guard Dasonte Bowen coming to Iowa City this summer. Estrella is a 6-10 big man in the midst of a stock explosion. A relatively unknown prospect originally from South Portland, Maine, Estrella has landed offers from California, Virginia Tech, Wake Forest, Wisconsin, Notre Dame, Maryland and Marquette since April began.

Iowa was his first offer way back in December 2021, though. This is proving to be a really smart evaluation job by Fran McCaffery and his staff.

Estrella told me, beyond his offers, Kansas, Tennessee, UConn and Penn State are also recruiting him.

"The Hawkeyes are very active with me and I hear from them very often," Estrella said. "I have had a Zoom with them before and would love to get down there at some point."

Are there more 2023 targets Iowa is recruiting hard? You bet. But these are three names that, in addition to Sandfort, quickly came to mind. - Matthew Bain

The full Story:

Last edited:
Iowa offered Joseph (JP) Estrella on Dec 16, 2021. Fran & his assistants were watching him at the Adidas 3SSB (3 Stripes Select) event held from April 8-10 in Indianapolis, IN.

"One place I really want to get to is Iowa....My interest in Iowa is pretty high. I want to get there and see the campus and spend more time with the coaches.”

“My mom is a big fan of Luka Garza and Iowa did a great job with him and really helped him develop into a great player.”

The full FREE story is here:

Last edited:
Iowa offered JaQualon (JQ) Roberts on Oct 29, 2021.

He unofficially visited on Dec 21, 2021 for the SE Louisiana game.

Fran & his assistants were watching him at the Adidas 3SSB (3 Stripes Select) event held from April 8-10 in Indianapolis, IN.

“It [the Dec 21 game] was a great visit
....I feel like I could really fit in there based on the way they play.” Roberts said.

“They are very high on my list,”
he said. “I like the way they play and how they space the floor. I really like how they get out and run in transition and that’s what I like to do on the court.”

One other selling point that the Hawkeyes have been pushing is player development. Roberts, who stands 6-foot-8, is a similar build to Iowa All American Keegan Murray. When he was on the visit to Iowa City, the Hawkeye coaches made sure to highlight Murray’s development in his two years in Iowa City.

“When I was at Iowa they showed a video of Keegan Murray in his freshman year and this year and how he really developed his game and how he got stronger.”

The full FREE story is here:

Here are some JQ Roberts highlights from this past weekend's Adidas 3SSB (3 Stripes Select) event in Indianapolis, IN.

As you can see, he gets up and down the court, plays through contact, can hit the 3, rebounds the damn basketball and plays good D.

Watch here:

Here are JQ Robert's junior season highlights. You might be saying the word "dang" a lot.

He gets up and down the court very well; he has a good handle, rebounds, plays some serious D, is a rim protector, and has some serious hops/athleticism.

He can score from all 3 levels: inside, driving to the basket, midrange and from 3.

Watch here:

Boy, you really have to like some of those comments from Estrella. The Garza factor may pay off again here in recruiting (as it should) if we can land him. And, love the fact that Fran got in in him earlier than anyone else. Let’s hope it eventually pays off for us!

And he can re-unite with his Brewster Academy teammate, Dasonte Bowen.

And he can re-unite with his Brewster Academy teammate, Dasonte Bowen.

A usually forgotten nugget is that Carter Kingsbury also played at Brewster. Not sure that any of them actually attended together, as it seems to be common for kids to only be there for 1 or 2 years. But the fact remains that the Brewster-to-Iowa pipeline seems to be growing strong.

Here are JQ Robert's junior season highlights. You might be saying the word "dang" a lot.

He gets up and down the court very well; he has a good handle, rebounds, plays some serious D, is a rim protector, and has some serious hops/athleticism.

He can score from all 3 levels: inside, driving to the basket, midrange and from 3.

Watch here:

Man amongst boys!

Reactions: Franisdaman

Watch here:

He's fun to watch! I hope he comes to play for McC!

Reactions: Franisdaman
As I mentioned above, Iowa is keeping an eye on/ has interest in Brock Harding.

Kirk Speraw watched him play in a game in person on Jan 12, 2022. Brock then visited Iowa the NEXT DAY for the Jan 13, 2022 Indiana game.

Owen Freeman seems to like him. Owen is #32 in the videos that follow from this past weekend's NY2LA Sports Swish N’ Dish.

Brock has at least 7 offers now:
Loyola-Chicago, Western Illinois, SE Missouri State, Illinois State, Drake, Colorado State and Bradley.

Check these out & Watch:

Holy crap. This kid is like the second coming of Jason Williams (the white one who played high school ball with Randy Moss and was a star for the Sacramento Kings). Yes, I’m clearly saying he’ll be as good as White Chocolate, but fa real, this kid’s game looks a little like Jason Williams.

A usually forgotten nugget is that Carter Kingsbury also played at Brewster. Not sure that any of them actually attended together, as it seems to be common for kids to only be there for 1 or 2 years. But the fact remains that the Brewster-to-Iowa pipeline seems to be growing strong.

Recruiting is all about relationships and connections.

5 of the 23 offers Fran has made for the 2023 Class attend the same high school (Brewster Academy) as 2022 commit Dasonte Bowen.

• Haha
Reactions: Fitzhawk
Bowen and Estrella weren’t teammates at Brewster. Estrella is transferring to Brewster for the upcoming season.

Rivals rarely updates player profiles. Hell, they don't even have a picture of JP yet, as you can see below.

Since not much was known about Estrella, I assumed when Rivals said Brewster Academy was his high school that it was not only correct but included the past season with Dasonte Bowen.

So, where did he play his first 2 years?

EDIT: a quick Google search shows he played last season (his junior year) at South Portland High School in Maine (they are a public school).

Last edited:
Reactions: perryhawk
I mentioned above that not much was known about JP Estrella.

The article linked below is pretty good.

Even to the casual high school basketball fan in Maine, JP Estrella was still something of an unknown – or at least unseen – commodity because high school gyms were closed to spectators because of the pandemic.

He was a 6-foot-4 freshman.

In December, 2021, his junior season, he stood over 6-10.

Estrella’s wingspan is nearly 7 feet.

His mom loves Luka Garza; she is 6-foot-4 and was named Miss Maine Basketball in 1995. She played at Boston College from 1995-98.

According to those who know JP: His work ethic is fantastic. His motor is incredible. He is just a great athlete. Great feet. Great hands. His mobility, his passing and his understanding of the game are off the charts. He’s a monster in transition and dunks everything way above the rim but he’s also a terrific shooter.

Jim Boeheim was the first to offer him a scholarship (on Aug 28, 2021).

Fran offered JP on Dec 16, 2021.

Last season, his junior year, he played at South Portland High School in Maine (they are a public school).

This year he will be playing at Brewster Academy, the same HS as 2022 commit Dasonte Bowen.

The story says that Duke, Kansas, Notre Dame and Marquette were among the college programs that were excited to see Estrella play.

The Story from Dec 6, 2021:

Last edited:
Bring Estrella in for a visit. Maybe Kirk could sit down with the family and reminisce about his days at Maine.

Holy crap. This kid is like the second coming of Jason Williams (the white one who played high school ball with Randy Moss and was a star for the Sacramento Kings). Yes, I’m clearly saying he’ll be as good as White Chocolate, but fa real, this kid’s game looks a little like Jason Williams.
I could be wrong but unless he is a reliable 40%+ 3PT shooter, his value on a Big Ten roster is minimal. Most B1G teams have quick guards also and I'm sorry but he would be look-away-children abused on defense. His offer list reflects what all the P5 coaches who have watched him play think of how his game translates. According to another poster, he won't walk-on and earn a scholarship so maybe the coaches will keep an eye on him at whatever school he chooses....

I could be wrong but unless he is a reliable 40%+ 3PT shooter, his value on a Big Ten roster is minimal. Most B1G teams have quick guards also and I'm sorry but he would be look-away-children abused on defense. His offer list reflects what all the P5 coaches who have watched him play think of how his game translates. According to another poster, he won't walk-on and earn a scholarship so maybe the coaches will keep an eye on him at whatever school he chooses....
I think you should re-read my post again.

OK if you were facetious and not serious then your point to facetiously compare him to Jason Williams was to whimsically or jokingly mock his basketball skills ....and that's crude ;)
Lol. Nah, brah. I wasn’t mocking his game. He’s a fun player to watch highlights of whose moves resemble Jason Williams. The facetious part was me saying he’s obviously going to be as good as White Chocolate.

Reactions: nu2u
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT