ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Recruiting. Orig Post Updated Jan 1. ZERO Scholarships Currently Available. 34 Offers So Far (incl. Pryce Sandfort, Owen Freeman, Brock Harding)

I believe he understands the pecking order...

If Estrella and Power both commit to Iowa he wouldn't have a commitable offer. He's waiting to see how things shake out as in a couple weeks the picture may be clearer.

do you think this class ends up with 3, 4 or 5 players? Personally, I think Fran eventually gets 2 more kids to commit

with us waiting on Estrella & Power to make a decision, there hasn't been much noise, other than yesterday's Kachi Nzeh news

do you think this class ends up with 3, 4 or 5 players? Personally, I think Fran eventually gets 2 more kids to commit

with us waiting on Estrella & Power to make a decision, there hasn't been much noise, other than yesterday's Kachi Nzeh news
I'm expecting 5

If the right 2 say yes.

I watched a bit of Nzeh on HUDL and then some twitter clips.

The good:
- Runs like a deer
- Growing 6'9" kid with 7'3" wingspan (NBA wants players with wingspans +5" more than height)
- Springy athlete
- Shot doesn't look horrible, can work with it
- High ceiling - only 2 years focusing on basketball, although has played it longer
- Has a right and left handed hook shot that is critical if he wants to score around the hoop, because he's still learning the back to the basket game. THIS WAS A KEY SELLING POINT FOR ME, because it translates VERY well to the next level, if he can make it, but the form looks solid to me.

The bad:
- Most of his HS HUDL videos are of him blocking shots, not much at all of him scoring other than dunks.
- The one video I saw his team lost 52-50 and the team shot 29% FG's. Not even sure how you do that if he's worth a damn on offense, which leads me to believe he's not a big scoring threat right now.

He may have grown more this summer in terms of his game, and he could be REALLY good this time next year if he focuses on it. So by the time he gets to campus he might be worth playing in Year 1.

Estrella and Power seem like 2 and done type players. Nzeh might only get 2 years also, but after 2 years of development. The next 12 months will say a lot about whether he can play early at the B10 level or not. If he grows 1-2 more inches and finds a few shots he can hit at a 50% clip, then he'll play early.

What are the actual odds with Power and what happened to Estrella? I thought people were predicting him to go to Iowa?

How would anyone know what the actual odds are? Someone on 247 put in a crystal ball for Tennessee for Estrella

Last edited:
How would anyone know what tge actual odds are? Someone on 247 put in a crystal ball for Tennessee for Estrella

It's just a phrase, I am not looking for the actual odds. I am really busy right now so I haven't had a lot of time to dive deep into predictions.

I am not counting on Estrella at this point.

I'm expecting 5

If the right 2 say yes.

I really hope 1 of the 2 is TJ Power. The problem? Duke appears to be the favorite with Iowa a very CLOSE second.

Rivals, in their prospect rankings that came out YESTERDAY, has TJ at #21, JP at #38 & Pryce at #98.

As you can see, as of yesterday, Rivals still had not evaluated Kachi.

Current Commits:

Last edited:
Reactions: Sheahawk
Carey Booth was offer #25 out of 31 total offers Fran has handed out for 2023. Iowa offered on Apr 9, 2022.

Carey is the son of former Penn State player (1996-99) & current Nuggets GM (since 2020) Calvin Booth. Calvin was the Big 10 Defensive Player of the Year in 1998 and played 10 years in the NBA.

No surprise where Carey is heading. Booth, #80 in the Rivals150, is the highest ranked high school recruit Penn State has landed since it snagged Tony Carr (#46) in 2016.

Last edited:
I thought the PSU coach did a really good job with what they had last year…..could be really tough if they put together a talented roster.

Reid Ducharme will announce his college decision tomorrow. Iowa offered him on June 15,2021.

The experts say he will pick Xavier over his other 2 finalists (Syracuse, Penn State).

On Aug 20 both Rivals and TOS had JP Estrella to Tennessee.

I guess we should not be surprised that Pat Hardy is saying the same thing now
What pisses me off is these "predictor" guys switching right before the commitment.

Gotta keep that success percentage up there.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Fran - in your re-posted tweets, he is listed as 6'9'', 6'10" and 6'11''. Any idea of which one is now correct?

good question. the guy that was part of this past weekend's festival listed him at 6'9 so I guess I would go with that. typically prospects list their height on their Twitter page; Fielder has not done so.

So we're both looking for option B?

Yep. Estrella to Tennessee.

Unfortunately, it looks like we will finish 2nd for TJ Power as well (Duke appears to be the leader there).

But don't forget; Fran has landed 3 good players so far for this class. Officially he only has 1 scholarship left to hand out (but most likely he will have another when Kris declares for the NBA Draft and/or someone else leaves the program early).

How are we sitting with Kapke (I presume not that well as you don’t hear that much) and Nzeh (based on his other offers I’d think we have a reasonable chance)?

Anybody read or hear anything lately with these two?

How are we sitting with Kapke (I presume not that well as you don’t hear that much) and Nzeh (based on his other offers I’d think we have a reasonable chance)?

Kapke hasn't named a final list of schools so not sure what's up with him. He's a Minnesota kid and it doesn't even appear Ben Johnson is aggressively after him

Nzeh has started taking official visits but hasn't set a date for Iowa yet

Reactions: skydog0784
Kapke hasn't named a final list of schools so not sure what's up with him. He's a Minnesota kid and it doesn't even appear Ben Johnson is aggressively after him

Nzeh has started taking official visits but hasn't set a date for Iowa yet
Kapke visited Butler recently and I think he was also planning to visit Clemson. Seems like most high major schools have backed off him--he recently picked up offers from UNI and Utah State. Mid majors don't usually bother offering guys late in the process that have as many power 6 offers as he has, so that's a bit telling to me at least. He played AAU with Pryce, so Fran's definitely seen quite a bit of him.

Why is it I see Rival's ranking for some 2025 players, but so many of the 2023 players are unranked? Surely they are the ones that have been on display all year.

Kapke visited Butler recently and I think he was also planning to visit Clemson. Seems like most high major schools have backed off him--he recently picked up offers from UNI and Utah State. Mid majors don't usually bother offering guys late in the process that have as many power 6 offers as he has, so that's a bit telling to me at least. He played AAU with Pryce, so Fran's definitely seen quite a bit of him.

Was Boden's summer that bad? It's just interesting how the stock of players like Estrella & Power shot way up this summer and Kapke's stock seemed to plummet.

Why is it I see Rival's ranking for some 2025 players, but so many of the 2023 players are unranked? Surely they are the ones that have been on display all year.

Rivals still did not have Keegan & Kris rated when they committed to Iowa. Eventually Rivals gave them both a 3 star.

Boden visited Iowa on October 16, 2021 (Purdue game). I believe it was an unofficial visit, where he paid his own way. Meanwhile, he just got done taking an official visit to Boston College.

Kachi is making his official visit to Xavier this weekend.

Reactions: HawkHoops80
The orig post has been updated.

Officially, Iowa has 1 scholarship remaining for the 2023 Class. Unofficially, that number is probably at least 2 (assuming at least 1 early departure).

Iowa has extended 32 offers for this Class.

* 14 of the 32 have visited Iowa City (5 Officially, 9 Unofficially--they pay their own way)

* 3 have Committed to Iowa

* 19 have Committed Elsewhere

* 10 are still Undecided

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT