ADVERTISEMENT

2023 Recruiting. Orig Post Updated Jan 1. ZERO Scholarships Currently Available. 34 Offers So Far (incl. Pryce Sandfort, Owen Freeman, Brock Harding)

Probably an unpopular sentiment, but if McCaffery can't sign a real game changer like Power at this point, just bank the schollie. We don't really need another bench player and Fran seems to be getting closer and closer to actually landing one of these big fish. Maybe next year.
That kind of seems like a fallacy. This isn't a game of field position in football where you can inch closer and closer to pay dirt. Gotta start from ground zero with every recruit. And Fran has been "oh so close" with major out-of-state recruits for 10 years now. Fran signed some good guys this class, but its okay to call it slightly disappointing giving the string of program success we've had.

I am a Fran supporter and often a Fran apologist. But I can admit that closing out-of-state recruits is one of Fran's two biggest weaknesses (defensive construction being the other obvious flaw). In his second year as coach, Otzelberger has already pulled better transfers than Fran ever has, and has pulled two high school recruits that are arguably better than anyone Fran has ever signed. Otzelberger, a great recruiter. Fran, an okay recruiter.

You can talk about talent evaluation all you want, but you aren't a great recruiter if you can't close players who don't have a built in tie to the program. Fran is not a great recruiter.

Do you think Fran should just not try to recruit players from far away such as Washington DC, Boston, New York and London? Because we have players on the roster from these places now. Is California too far away to try? What would you suggest?
Please point out where I said any of those things? Keep your straw dogs to yourself.

* Fran has a relationship with the high school coach so maybe that will pay off. Jaxon Kohler (Class of 2022), who Iowa offered, goes to the same high school.
Take 'em both. We'll find room.

Overall, I think McCaffery put together a pretty good class. Would just like to see the cherry at the top.

Reactions: perryhawk
Interesting. If he's a freshman at Juco, that means he was in high school last year, right? I'd love to learn more about him, including how he ended up going the Juco route.
He was apart of the NBA Africa Academy. I believe this year is his first year living in the states. From Senegal. Not sure why he went Juco, but with how many D1 teams are interested I'd suspect maybe something to do with grades/transcripts.

Cincinnati was Saliou's first D1 offer (on July 18). He has since received offers from Iona, Wichita State, Arizona State and Iowa.

Watch his summer highlights here:

Reactions: BBHawk
As noted in a previous post, Drew Fielder has had back issues, where he was out 6 months.

Here's another story on Fielder. As you will read, he's also dealt with tendinitis in his knees. His main weakness is his perimeter D, which he is working on. Where he plays (Iowa, Syracuse, the moon) doesn't matter.

He's visited USC. He will visit Providence Sep 16 and Syracuse Sep 23.

He plans to make a college choice in November.

LINK to Story:

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/drew-fielder-schedules-syracuse-official-visit

Last edited:
JUst asking... Does he need to work on the left hand? I didn't see a single shot in the first half of the video where he used left hand.

JUst asking... Does he need to work on the left hand? I didn't see a single shot in the first half of the video where he used left hand.
I would say by the time he gets to Iowa he probably will have to show he can score with his left hand.
But while he's in high school at Moline, with the firepower he has along side him, there isn't anyone in the state that will consistently keep him from scoring with his right hand. Owen is a beast and unless the team from Wisconsin or the team from Indiana that Moline plays to start the season has someone with his height, there'll be few defenders that will challenge him during Moline's run to the State Championship.
Looking at the many video's of him during the summer he seem to score even with 2 or 3 defenders draped around him.

Good thread especially the last few pages. Any information on when the Juco big plans to sign. Looks like a prospect that could get better offers in the Spring. Although with the transfer market now maybe no longer the case.

That was DME.
IMG also has Bryson Tucker who stated in an interview recently that Iowa was one of the few schools he was connecting with the most.

Would be interesting if they could get one of these Academy kids to reclassify to 23. Kinda obvious with all the 23 activity. Iowa is still trying to add two more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT