ADVERTISEMENT

23 things we learned from Iowa State's wrestle-offs

hawkaeg80

HR MVP
Dec 28, 2014
Cedar Rapids
ISU Wrestle Offs, December 23, 2020
I know this is not an ISU wrestling forum, but I think it's always good to see what they are up to.
As far as their potential 9th place finish at nationals, "Wow, 9th place! That's just where we want to be at this point in time of the Dresser regime." It's kind of like the football team if they lose the bowl game or even if they win - it's historic, coach has to be the best coach in America. Blagh, Blagh, Blagh.
Too bad we're not wrestling them this year. Then we could see what a 9th place team looks like in comparison to the 1st place team.
In any case, enjoy.

Reactions: wasdt21
Their football team was pretty good no need to knock them down. I know I lost some money betting against them!

Nope, just saying every time I bet against I seemed to lose! They did have a couple wrestlers from days gone by that were pretty good :)

Reactions: shobart
I have upgraded ISU from meh to intriguing with the Russian and the Cuban. Also think Robinson will fit right in after Degan.

Reactions: crablegs1
I have upgraded ISU from meh to intriguing with the Russian and the Cuban. Also think Robinson will fit right in after Degan.
The Cuban is a complete wildcard. I could see 4-5 AAs for ISU this year, but there are several just on the outside looking in.

they’re not competing with Iowa, but they have a real shot at a top 5 team.

• Haha
Reactions: TJHall1
The Cuban is a complete wildcard. I could see 4-5 AAs for ISU this year, but there are several just on the outside looking in.

they’re not competing with Iowa, but they have a real shot at a top 5 team.

I see solid AAs at 141, 149, 157 this year with Carr being the only title shot...I like Parker but 41 is a killer but he has as good a chance at AA as any. Losing Gomez hurts although I don't know if he would have been able to make 33. 125, 174, and 197 are the big question mark.

I see solid AAs at 141, 149, 157 this year with Carr being the only title shot...I like Parker but 41 is a killer. Losing Gomez hurts although I don't know if he would have been able to make 33. 125, 174, and 197 are the big question mark.
I pretty much agree with the 3 solid AAs. Then you have Mackall and Gremmel who are pretty well solidified R12 guys. With the craziness of this year and a very weak 125 I could see one of them sneak into a low AA.

I don’t think 97 is as weak of a weight as it has been some years, but the Cuban has beaten Gadsen. Nobody at 97 is that good. Wouldn’t shock me at all if he is able to be a mid-AA this year.

Though Goodwin was laying it on quite thick in the article, Dresser has raised the bar for sure. Going from scoring 2-3 points(?) to a preseason top 10 team in 4 seasons, which is where they belong from a resources standpoint. Not likely a big threat to the big guns in college wrestling anytime soon but they have certainly restored respect to the program.

Say what I want about ISU, at least they have a schedule...

That has nothing to do with either school or program. Just like football, if it were up to Iowa they would already have a schedule and be wrestling.

I see solid AAs at 141, 149, 157 this year with Carr being the only title shot...I like Parker but 41 is a killer but he has as good a chance at AA as any. Losing Gomez hurts although I don't know if he would have been able to make 33. 125, 174, and 197 are the big question mark.
Gomez would have made 33.

But his head is very fragile right now and getting him healthy is obviously the priority.

Small can always drop back down but not sure he can beat the true freshman there. That kid is tough.

Iowa, michigan, penn st, ok st, nc st, nebraska all will finish above iowa st. Probably ohio st too
They very well may. All I said was they have a chance. Not a lock or anything. I think it is Iowa, PSU, Michigan for sure but after that it’s a bunch of teams that all have plenty of flaws. I’ll take ISU as a sure top 10, and top 5 is definitely possible.

ISU has a decent, solid line up but they are not taking 5th. I have them 9th (with no Gomez b/c why would you? he hasn't made 133 for almost 2 years and wasn't beating Paker out at 41). and 3rd in the country is get-your-head-checked levels of silliness

ISU has a decent, solid line up but they are not taking 5th. I have them 9th (with no Gomez b/c why would you? he hasn't made 133 for almost 2 years and wasn't beating Paker out at 41). and 3rd in the country is get-your-head-checked levels of silliness
I agree they won’t get third, but what individual ranking do you disagree with? They all seem reasonable and earned.

Also with Gomez, that is a bit unfair. He was injured all year last year, so you could literally say that about anyone that was injured last year. Now, we obviously know he’s out for his career with concussions but he was going to be at 133 this year from all indications. Fix hasn’t made 33 for almost 2 years and this year won’t have the help of his illegal substance to make weight, better not rank him at 33. Eierman hasn’t made 41 for almost 2 years, guess he’s unrankable.

They very well may. All I said was they have a chance. Not a lock or anything. I think it is Iowa, PSU, Michigan for sure but after that it’s a bunch of teams that all have plenty of flaws. I’ll take ISU as a sure top 10, and top 5 is definitely possible.
Ya, huge difference between 10th and 5th. 0 chance they're top 5. You're delusional.

Reactions: T8KUDWN
I agree they won’t get third, but what individual ranking do you disagree with? They all seem reasonable and earned.

Also with Gomez, that is a bit unfair. He was injured all year last year, so you could literally say that about anyone that was injured last year. Now, we obviously know he’s out for his career with concussions but he was going to be at 133 this year from all indications. Fix hasn’t made 33 for almost 2 years and this year won’t have the help of his illegal substance to make weight, better not rank him at 33. Eierman hasn’t made 41 for almost 2 years, guess he’s unrankable.
You are fuggin dense.

You’ve said absolutely nothing of substance in this thread. Please feel free to tell me where I’m wrong.
You are wrong thinking iowa st is knocking on top 5. There.

And then to mention top 3....hahahahahaha

Track has ISU at 9th and only 7 team points out of 5th without Gomez. I wonder if a Cuban who has beaten NCAA champs and US national team members has a chance to make up 7 points. Stating that top 5 is a possibility is not delusional.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Track has ISU at 9th and only 7 team points out of 5th without Gomez. I wonder if a Cuban who has beaten NCAA champs and US national team members has a chance to make up 7 points. Stating that top 5 is a possibility is not delusional.
Like I said before, you're fuggin dense.

ISU Wrestle Offs, December 23, 2020
I know this is not an ISU wrestling forum, but I think it's always good to see what they are up to.
As far as their potential 9th place finish at nationals, "Wow, 9th place! That's just where we want to be at this point in time of the Dresser regime." It's kind of like the football team if they lose the bowl game or even if they win - it's historic, coach has to be the best coach in America. Blagh, Blagh, Blagh.
Too bad we're not wrestling them this year. Then we could see what a 9th place team looks like in comparison to the 1st place team.
In any case, enjoy.
Iowa state's football coach is pretty damn good lol

lol. you're being purposefully missleading. Those two were redshirting and wrestling FS. and not accurate. Fix made 127 multiple times. Eierman made 143.

It's not about the layoff. it's about the situation. it's fairly well known that Gomez was having issues pulling to 133 (so much so that he didn't make it in years).

1) That's the problem with PreSeason Rankings and Team Score projections. They are leaving out a massive number of starters (mostly freshmen) that are difference makers. It renders the PreSeason team projections virtually meaningless. Crystal Ball method > Preseason rankings

2) I agree w/ you that the Cuban could be a difference-maker in their final projections. (although no service has him included so '7th points out of 5th' is ... not accurate. You're basically saying it could happen DESPITE their methodology.

3) we can debate all we want. but i see almost no path to Top 5 and zero chance at Top 3. time will tell, i guess.

Wouldn’t the difference be that Gomez had fairly well known weight management issues?

Wouldn’t the difference be that Gomez had fairly well known weight management issues?
Somewhat, but I think when every word coming out of the room is that he was going to make 133, it is a bit pretentious to say that he wasn’t.

Reactions: tigerguy_
Somewhat, but I think when every word coming out of the room is that he was going to make 133, it is a bit pretentious to say that he wasn’t.
@buf87 you got anything to add as the ISU wrestling insider? I was told 133 for Gomez was the plan and doable, but I'm just some guy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT