ADVERTISEMENT

96.3 mph. Wow. Brody Brecht is a Potential Top 5 Round MLB Draft Pick

He’ll need to be sharper than a 37-pitch inning next week if Iowa is going to make a run.

Brody had last pitched Saturday, May 11. He got the start in yesterday's (Thur May 16) game in Des Moines (Principal Park) vs Florida International (FIU). Iowa would end up losing the game 2-1.

To save him for the B1G Tournament opener just 5 days from this start (on Tues, May 21), Heller only allowed Brody to go 1 complete inning. Brody walked the 1st batter; the 2nd batter flied out; the 3rd batter walked; the 4th batter grounded out, advancing the runners to 2nd and 3rd. The 5th batter walked, loading the bases. The 6th batter walked, forcing in a run. The 7th batter struck out for the 3rd out. After 1/2 inning, FIU led 1-0.

In the top of the 2nd inning, with FIU still leading 1-0, Heller brought in Aaron Savary. FIU would score 1 run in the top of the 2nd inning and that's all the offense they needed in their 2-1 win.

Brody's line:
1 inning pitched
7 batters faced
37 pitches (18 strikes, 19 balls)

0 Hits allowed
4 walks
0 Wild pitches
0 Hit batters
0 Balks

1 strike out

1 earned run (of the 1)

4.00 WHIP for this game (4 walks + 0 hits / 1 inning pitched). In the Major Leagues, the average WHIP is around 1.30.

In 14 starts and 71 innings pitched:

1.25 WHIP for the season
(47 walks + 42 hits / 71 innings pitched). In the Major Leagues, the average WHIP is around 1.30.

3.55 ERA for the season

He’ll need to be sharper than a 37-pitch inning next week if Iowa is going to make a run.

I'll be the first to admit that I've been critical of Boyd's (along with others on the Iowa pitching staff) lack of control and struggle to throw strikes over the years. That written, the strike zone in T1 last night was awfully tight. He hit Moss' glove several times and the ump called "ball."

The crowd at Principal Park, me included, was none too thrilled and vocal at times with Blue's performance behind the plate last night.

I'll be the first to admit that I've been critical of Boyd's (along with others on the Iowa pitching staff) lack of control and struggle to throw strikes over the years. That written, the strike zone in T1 last night was awfully tight. He hit Moss' glove several times and the ump called "ball."

The crowd at Principal Park, me included, was none too thrilled and vocal at times with Blue's performance behind the plate last night.
They ain't using the cameras to call the balls and strikes there yet?

I didn’t see any of it, so can’t comment on that. Hopefully Brody picks up the form of his last 3 starts next week.

This Iowa team was supposed to be a College World Series contender. What happened?
They were supposed to have top shelf starting pitching and a solid overall staff, but from the jump the bullpen was bad, Morgan really struggled this year and Brecht & Obermueller were up and down. Just not enough from the pitching they were expecting to get.

I would have rather seen Obermueller in line to start against Michigan on Wednesday and save Brecht for a potential match-up against #1 Illinois but . . .Obermueller throwing 5 innings on Saturday night (a most excellent outing) essentially rules out Obermueller pitching Wednesday.

There really was no reason to pitch Obermueller as long as they did after Iowa put up 8 runs in B1.

Good to spend some time at the park with @GolfHacker1. Always good to get his insight and find out what's happening with the team.

Mid-February and the expectations out of this team seem like eons ago.

Snake. Freaking. Bit.

Reactions: hawkifann
Scoreless thru 5 but facing bases loaded nobody out in top 6 leading 1-0.
Ballgame on bases.

Short popup for out #1.
Strikeout for out #2.
Moss digs out a 97mph fastball out of dirt to save a ruin but Brody throws a 1-2 fastball inn dirt and 2 Michigan runners score...fvck!!!!

• Sad
Reactions: Franisdaman
Brody Brecht got the start this afternoon in Iowa's opening game of the B1G Tournament. In the bottom of the 8th inning, Brody got the 1st batter to ground out. The 2nd batter hit an infield single to short. With 1 out & a runner on 1st and a 2-2 ball game, Heller went to the bullpen & brought in Jack Young. The runner on 1st base got thrown out attempting to steal. The next batter struck out. After 8 complete innings, the game remained tied at 2-2.

Brody's line:
7 1/3 inning pitched
32 batters faced
113 pitches (72 strikes, 41 balls)

4 Hits allowed
2 walks
4 Hit batters
1 Wild pitch
0 Balks

10 strike outs

1 earned run (of the 2)

.82 WHIP for this game (2 walks + 4 hits / 7.33 inning pitched). In the Major Leagues, the average WHIP is around 1.30.

In 15 starts and 78.33 innings pitched:

1.21 WHIP for the season
(49 walks + 46 hits / 78.33 innings pitched). In the Major Leagues, the average WHIP is around 1.30.

3.33 ERA for the season

Brody Brecht got the start this afternoon in Iowa's opening game of the B1G Tournament. In the bottom of the 8th inning, Brody got the 1st batter to ground out. The 2nd batter hit an infield single to short. With 1 out & a runner on 1st and a 2-2 ball game, Heller went to the bullpen & brought in Jack Young. The runner on 1st base got thrown out attempting to steal. The next batter struck out. After 8 complete innings, the game remained tied at 2-2.

Brody's line:
7 1/3 inning pitched
32 batters faced
113 pitches (72 strikes, 41 balls)

4 Hits allowed
2 walks
4 Hit batters
1 Wild pitch
0 Balks

10 strike outs

1 earned run (of the 2)

.82 WHIP for this game (2 walks + 4 hits / 7.33 inning pitched). In the Major Leagues, the average WHIP is around 1.30.

In 15 starts and 78.33 innings pitched:

1.21 WHIP for the season
(49 walks + 46 hits / 78.33 innings pitched). In the Major Leagues, the average WHIP is around 1.30.

3.33 ERA for the season
Pen arm at next level, lots of Guys throw hard and have bad command , He really needed to show a jump in his ability to locate and limit walks this Year, He did not , I hope He gets a 1st round grade and gets taken but if Iam drafting I only take Him in the 1st if He will sign underslot.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
Pen arm at next level, lots of Guys throw hard and have bad command , He really needed to show a jump in his ability to locate and limit walks this Year, He did not , I hope He gets a 1st round grade and gets taken but if Iam drafting I only take Him in the 1st if He will sign underslot.
You get underslot when a guy is a 4th year or is coming off injury. There’s no reason for Brody to sign underslot when he’s going to be a top 20 pick. He’s shown flashes of improvement and some team will definitely think they an turn him into Paul Skenes because that arm talent is A+ and in relation to guys his age, his arm is pretty low-mileage and he’s less experience than his peers, implying more room to grow.

You get underslot when a guy is a 4th year or is coming off injury. There’s no reason for Brody to sign underslot when he’s going to be a top 20 pick. He’s shown flashes of improvement and some team will definitely think they an turn him into Paul Skenes because that arm talent is A+ and in relation to guys his age, his arm is pretty low-mileage and he’s less experience than his peers, implying more room to grow.
over 50 walks in less than 80 innings , Skenes had/has plus command a splitter and 2 shapes He can use on His slider and a plus change , all He commands well . No Team sees Skenes in Brody , Is not happening, Skenes is the best arm to come out in at least a Decade . Just my opinion but I see Brody a late 1st talent in a weak draft class who I would not give full slot too . It is just my opinion

over 50 walks in less than 80 innings , Skenes had/has plus command a splitter and 2 shapes He can use on His slider and a plus change , all He commands well . No Team sees Skenes in Brody , Is not happening, Skenes is the best arm to come out in at least a Decade . Just my opinion but I see Brody a late 1st talent in a weak draft class who I would not give full slot too . It is just my opinion
I never said he is Skenes. Skenes went 1.1 and was clearly on the Mark Prior, Justin Verlander, Steven Strasburg (hopefully ultimately more Verlander than the other two with regard to injury) path from the jump. But Brody is overall less experienced than Skenes and some team is definitely going to think they can clean him up (and maybe they can). He’s not going to be a big underslot guy because if he doesn’t get pretty much slot, he can still go back to college for another year.

This is where Brody’s time as a 2-sport athlete comes into play in both good and bad ways. He’s less experienced because he hasn’t had as much late summer/fall work as a lot of his peers at this point, which means he’s catching up in terms of development and overall experience and also means his arm has fewer miles on it than his peers.

Reactions: shudaddy
I never said he is Skenes. Skenes went 1.1 and was clearly on the Mark Prior, Justin Verlander, Steven Strasburg (hopefully ultimately more Verlander than the other two with regard to injury) path from the jump. But Brody is overall less experienced than Skenes and some team is definitely going to think they can clean him up (and maybe they can). He’s not going to be a big underslot guy because if he doesn’t get pretty much slot, he can still go back to college for another year.

This is where Brody’s time as a 2-sport athlete comes into play in both good and bad ways. He’s less experienced because he hasn’t had as much late summer/fall work as a lot of his peers at this point, which means he’s catching up in terms of development and overall experience and also means his arm has fewer miles on it than his peers.
You literally said some Team will draft him trying to get the next Skenes in the top 20 picks. I mean what do I know about pitching having been a scholarship pitcher and having Harry Dorish throw a contract offer on My table to try to get Me out of My college commitment . i see a pen arm with a violent delivery that has problems repeating as well as problems with His release point consistency , the arm is plus plus, the mechanics and pitchbility are 45 grade and He has 2 usable pitches , He needs to get drafted by a Team that has very good pitching Coaches and an advanced pitch lab to quiet His delivery ,simplify the delivery and lock in His arm slot and release point, Guys as raw as Him are usually HS SRs not draft eligible college arms so the mileage argument is negated by the age issue for His draft value. I see a late 1st or lower unless He will go under slot and have some team take Him earlier so they can get a hard sign later , Just what i see . I want Him to go in the 1st for Iowa's sake as well as His but the expectations need to be tempered down some, He DID NOT do what was needed to elevate His draft stock this Season .

You literally said some Team will draft him trying to get the next Skenes in the top 20 picks. I mean what do I know about pitching having been a scholarship pitcher and having Harry Dorish throw a contract offer on My table to try to get Me out of My college commitment . i see a pen arm with a violent delivery that has problems repeating as well as problems with His release point consistency , the arm is plus plus, the mechanics and pitchbility are 45 grade and He has 2 usable pitches , He needs to get drafted by a Team that has very good pitching Coaches and an advanced pitch lab to quiet His delivery ,simplify the delivery and lock in His arm slot and release point, Guys as raw as Him are usually HS SRs not draft eligible college arms so the mileage argument is negated by the age issue for His draft value. I see a late 1st or lower unless He will go under slot and have some team take Him earlier so they can get a hard sign later , Just what i see . I want Him to go in the 1st for Iowa's sake as well as His but the expectations need to be tempered down some, He DID NOT do what was needed to elevate His draft stock this Season .
We’re arguing semantics. What I said (and you quoted above) was “some team will definitely think they a turn him into Paul Skenes”. That team will likely be wrong, but some team will think he has upside as an ace who can throw 100.

I also agree that he DID NOT do what was needed to increase his draft stock. At the start of the college season, I was seeing him projected 7-14 with a chance to jump into the top 5. He absolutely did not have that kind of season (Hagen Smith did). He hurt his stock, absolutely, especially with his mid-season slump. The fact that he’s come around at the end will stabilize his value and probably lock him into the 15-20 range. I do not think he’ll be a major underslot (or at least won’t accept that), but some team is definitely going to think they see the change that they can make to keep him as a high level starter and we’ll see if that team is right.

Apologies if I ever inferred that you don’t know pitching. I simply disagreed on him falling way down and being a big underslot.

Of course with all the over and under slotting, HS guys, signability issues and lack of ability to trade first round draft picks, the MLB draft is often more of a crapshoot than most other big sports, so who knows. He could fall or there could be a team absolutely in love with him in the back end of the top 10 convinced he won’T be there in the 2nd round and they jump. We’ll see how it goes. I do think he’s a 15-20 talent all else being equal.

Another Ankeny kid (Joey Oakie) who was going to come to Iowa to play is seeing a ton of MLB scout interest now. Something in the water out there?

Reactions: Franisdaman
Another Ankeny kid (Joey Oakie) who was going to come to Iowa to play is seeing a ton of MLB scout interest now. Something in the water out there?
From what I’ve heard, he seems to be a much stronger candidate to go in the MLB draft than Brecht because Oakie doesn’t have Hawkeye football holding him back - both in terms of his own desires to play a 2nd sport and teams knowing they have to compete with another sport. Will be interesting to follow.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT