ADVERTISEMENT

A J Ferrari public statement

The public apology is a good sign both brothers want to be here after the debacle that just took place. Regardless how short or if insincere or dad made him do it. AJ’s actions were selfish with no regard for his brothers and how his actions impact them and their future. Anthony has worked hard to be here. He’s invested and has earned it. Angelo is a really good kid. I feel bad especially for him. He, unfairly, will always carry some of AJ’s baggage.

I would be shocked if AJ is allowed to join the team. After his antics, double birds to the crowd was an exclamation point. As much as TNT would like to give him a chance and change his life, Admin would be doing the Brands and this program a huge favor by not allowing it.

🤞 Anthony and Angelo stay and AJ moves on.
giphy-downsized-large.gif

I am confused? Are you saying in medical terms you have to see it to believe it?
No, I'm saying there really isn't much difference between what Desanto and Ferrari are going through. What is not a medical condition one decade is deemed one in the next. There is no scan or test to detect it.

Both of them have to go through painstaking admissions, humility, and help to get it under control.

Can everyone here and in the inner circle make those first 2024 donations to the program today? The Ferrari NIL commitment ain’t cheap. AJ really appreciates everyone supporting the program.

How many of you have been flipped off when you were younger, yet got over it? How many of you have gotten in a fight yet gotten over it. I find it funny that people are not able to do this. We have all acted like a douche before, and we all have a friend who has too. Give Tom and Terry and chance to work with him.
Here’s the bigger picture. His actions are a direct reflection on the University of Iowa.

Reactions: USPMAN and Lambertt
I am not aware that ADS has a verified medical diagnosis. Have you seen his medical records?
I play a Dr. On TV and have seen his records but can't discuss them do to Hippa. I also have an opinion.

ADs history as is the Ferrari's have been well documented over the years for anyone who chooses to search. If you have followed both situations like I have, there should be little to no comparisons made between the two.

ADs issues were largely limited to on the mat situations where he could not control his emotions. High risk and unacceptable behaviors for sure, but the focus of the problem was quite narrow, and yes I do believe he has a condition that lands him on the spectrum somewhere. He definitely improved over time in the Iowa program, and for the most part I think TnT dealt with the situation pretty effectively.

At one time, I was as pro AJ as anyone, and with the knowledge that both the Ferraris and Bo Nickal went to Allen Tx and, PSU could use that to get the inside track on one of the most dominant prospects in the country, let alone the family tree to follow. AJ was on my top 'must get' recruit list when he was a freshman-sophomore.

Here is where the AD and Ferrari conversations diverge. Unfortunately the hereditary vs environment argument seems to have worked against the Ferrari clan on both fronts.

Whether it be Tiger Woods, Dan Marino, or this bunch, all three had driven father's who from the moment of birth had a plan for their son(s) to become the very best at a sport, anywhere.

Unfortunately, the Ferrari sport of choice is a physical, aggressive, dominating sport, and the Ferrari genetics seem optimal for wrestling physically, but not so mentally, or at least in terms of operating effectively on a team, let alone in society in general.

These kids were posting pumping iron videos from their garage, power lifting and flexing before they had even developed physically. Over time they became excessively narcissistic, mullet wielding, fullauto gun shooting, fighting, wrestling phenoms.

About 1/2 way into his highschool, bodyboosting, fighting, showboating, social media it's all about me highschool career is when I saw the light and said this guy (AJ) is trouble, and PSU should take a pass. He is an amazing wrestler, but just a very bad fit for the PSU room.

It did not surprise me when he won a national championship as a freshman, as that is what he was born and raised to do, but his off the mat problems in particular were actually much worse than I had predicted, and his reaction to each incident was far from humble.

This weekend's antics actually suprised me as despite frequent somewhat innapropriate showboating, to my recollection, I haven't seen him 'lose it' on the mat, ever.

Relatively speaking, let's be honest, the on mat incident by itself, although unacceptable unsportsmanlike, classless and crude, wasn't all that egregious, not worthy of a lifetime ban.

However, when viewed through the lens of the body of work that is now AJs building legacy, I wouldn't touch this kid with a 100' pole. If one is to be honest Anthony ain't far behind.

The worst of the carnage that will trail in AJ and Anthony's wake will IMO be most certainly off the mat. Likewise I don't think those narcissistic personalities will fit in any wrestling program in the country. They will most likely drive some good kids out of any program via portalling, and scare away a few new inbound hammers. As for team chemistry, I see team Ferrari and then everyone else. There is a reason why the Ferrari clan bounced around so much on highschool, and may not be a fit anywhere in college. I know for one thing, I would have no interest in sitting down for a burger and beer with any of them, especially AJ, the dad or uncle Carmine.

As a Christian myself, I am encouraged the family claims a very strong faith, but actions speak volumes over words. They, as do I, have some work to do.

If the Iowa program is very lucky they get 3-4 years and most likely some national champions along the way, certainly a long string of AAs. If unlucky, some shit may hit the fan that is so sticky and smelly, the Brands may never be able to scrape it off their shoes.

In closing I have two points of clarification. (1). Despite ADs antics on the mat, I see no correlation or similarities between his situation and the Ferrari's. (2). For the time being, despite the same hereditary and environmental components, I am not willing to paint Angelo with the same broad brush. He might just prove to be the black sheep of that family, which is a good thing, while retaining all of the positive talent.

What he did was funny and most everyone with a sense of humor was laughing.
I actually agree with this, I found the double bird splits to be pretty funny.
I am concerned though about about his wrestling arrogance and sense of entitlement. He's a sore winner and probably more sore loser.
The problem is nobody at Iowa has the guts to confront A.J. They know he's not to be messed with.
Someone at Iowa is going to have to put AJ in his place and it needs to be Tom. A stern warning with absolute consequences. A stfu and wrestle....

I'm not ready to throw in the towel on AJ yet and am hopeful this works out but changes have to made. The AJ we saw this weekend is not good for the team or Iowa athletics.

I am sorry, but to have any decent level of self awareness, a reasonable amount of intelligence is absolutely necessary. Even humility doesn’t matter much if you aren’t smart enough to know when or why you are even supposed to be humble….
Nobody is more self-aware than A.J. He has a beautiful head of hair. Spencer Lee would love having A.J.'s hair.

The apology is real. It may not be sincere. As some has said, actions will tell. I didn't think that what he did was as horrible as some have claimed. I do think the ref hosed him on that 2nd stall call. Hopefully, he is allowed to join the team, has a "no tolerance" flag on him, becomes a good team mate, and grows up to become responsible person. He needed a good father to teach him right from wrong and didn't have one. Hopefully Brands can instill that discipline.

Alex needs a real job. Time for him to use that valuable communications degree.
B.A. in Sports and Recreation Management, working on his Masters in same. How is your McDonalds U degree working out? 🤣 hey though, I was able to see your picture that your mom sent in for the Celebrations section of your high school newspaper. You know...the one that showed you getting your McDonald's U certificate, name tag, and complimentary fishnet hat. Good job!

Last edited:
B.A. in Sports and Recreation Management, working on his Masters in same. How is your McDonalds U degree working out? 🤣 hey though, I was able to see your picture that your mom sent in for the Celebrations section of your high school newspaper. You know...the one that showed you getting your McDonald's U certificate, name tag, and complimentary fishnet hat. Good job.
Wow, calm down. Just saying the Bull needs a real job instead of passing out towels after practice.

...Whether it be Tiger Woods, Dan Marino, or this bunch, all three had driven father's who from the moment of birth had a plan for their son(s) to become the very best at a sport, anywhere....

Small point of correction...I'm pretty sure that you have Dan Marino confused with Todd Marinovich here.

Reactions: Ollie4ISU
file:///var/mobile/Library/SMS/Attachments/3e/14/B6039F07-D9EA-4FBF-8E2A-34DC74C6ECD2/IMG_2180.heic

Small point of correction...I'm pretty sure that you have Dan Marino confused with Todd Marinovich here.
Yeah but anyone involved with the Pittsburgh area high school football scene back in Marinos day will tell you, his pops played a key role in his boys development. He wasn't nearly as crazy with it that Marinovichs dad was tho..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT