ADVERTISEMENT

A point of optimism for change

I think he will if it is one of the two mentioned.
I think he’s starting to realize if he wants to continue coaching he has no other choice.

The game eventually passes by every coach, even those who have been successful for a long time. Every coach.

We can only hope.

There really isn't anything wrong with the style of offense Kirk wants to run....he just needs to keep his hands off and let the OC do his job.
Maddening our QBs can’t check into other plays when obvious blitzes coming. Deacon is just oblivious to it. Should have checked into a screen on some of those blitzes. Something a lot quicker developing. It never seems like our QB audibles any more. Seems like Stanley did and ended with him.

Reactions: Bierhalter and nu2u
On the post game Dolph asked Kirk about the upcoming OC hire. Kirk said very important to have fit. Does not want to bring someone in that doesn’t mesh with rest of staff. That’s why it was never gonna be Scott Frost. Ever.

Hopefully, they hire either of those type of guys who can build good OL’s, run the ball and use PA passing to keep defenses honest. There are some pieces with Lachey, Brown and Jones. But they need a lot more than that.

On the post game Dolph asked Kirk about the upcoming OC hire. Kirk said very important to have fit. Does not want to bring someone in that doesn’t mesh with rest of staff. That’s why it was never gonna be Scott Frost. Ever.
Does the right fit mean doing the same thing tho? I mean it’s possible to run this offense and score… but some changes need made

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
We can only hope.

There really isn't anything wrong with the style of offense Kirk wants to run....he just needs to keep his hands off and let the OC do his job.
In terms of being balanced on offense and wanting to run the football, I agree. But I do think Kirk’s system needs a major overhaul. His schemes are just too easy to dissect regardless of play calling.

Does the right fit mean doing the same thing tho? I mean it’s possible to run this offense and score… but some changes need made
Meaning no Air Raid stuff. Same kind of mindset of protect ball, etc. and obviously personality wise not a jackass.

In terms of being balanced on offense and wanting to run the football, I agree. But I do think Kirk’s system needs a major overhaul. His schemes are just too easy to dissect regardless of play calling.
Many games it felt like we had about 12 plays and we just picked from those 12 the entire game.

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
Anyone know when Cade is supposed to be a full go for practice? Deacon cannot even be our #2 coming out of spring ball unless Cade isn’t cleared until fall. New OC just needs to tell Deac he is done.
Don't know.

But the new OC should proceed with the likelihood Cade either won't be 100%, or will get hurt again. Have a backup (not Hill) that is prepared to take over.

Everything is just so disjointed and uncoordinated. The reason that Hill and Petras the last two years have been in there is because they have a big arm, yet, rarely were they ever used. Even if you don't complete them, when defenses press the shit out of you and man you up you have to keep them honest by throwing it over their head. There is enough speed on this team to do that. Instead KF/BF allows the defenses to load the box with very little concern for getting burned because they never do. Like today, with all of those d-backs out for TN yet they were never tested. Think about it, if that was us that had all those d-backs out you would know that any offense would have attacked us there. Look at what every offense did to Lee when Coop went out.

It is obvious at this point that there is really nothing to salvage with respect to the offense so an OC can come in and scrap it all and start over. And they need to.

Many games it felt like we had about 12 plays and we just picked from those 12 the entire game.
I think a prime example of what you’re talking about is the quarterback bootleg. Defenses seem to recognize it before the quarterback has even faked the handoff. I don’t know if it’s the fullback and TE coming across the line of scrimmage that automatically tips them off but it seems there is always 2-3 defenders flying to the quarterback and out to the flat before the quarterback begins rolling out from faking the handoff. Whatever is going on it’s clear the defenders on that side of the field know the handoff is being faked before the fake has even been performed.

I mean, we’re not talking about a quick reaction. We’re talking about full on anticipation of what is happening at the onset of the play.

We don't need a running QB per se but someone that can (1) make plays with his legs when things break down and (2) force the defense to at least have to account for the QB. On second and goal early in the game, we did a read option and handed off to the rb for no gain. Had hill kept the ball he could have walked in since no defender seriously considered he'd keep it.

I'd just like to remind everyone that KF has made 3 phone calls, all to Chryst. Not because he wants Chryst as OC, but because he wanted to get Chryst's thoughts on Budmayr as OC.
This. KF isn’t interested in getting the best OC he can, one that will do what he wants and run his conservative offense. Only at Iowa where the head coach isn’t interested in finding the best OC, just one that will do what he wants, which based off of the current one, is to be incompetent at best. Unbelievable.

Everything is just so disjointed and uncoordinated. The reason that Hill and Petras the last two years have been in there is because they have a big arm, yet, rarely were they ever used. Even if you don't complete them, when defenses press the shit out of you and man you up you have to keep them honest by throwing it over their head. There is enough speed on this team to do that. Instead KF/BF allows the defenses to load the box with very little concern for getting burned because they never do. Like today, with all of those d-backs out for TN yet they were never tested. Think about it, if that was us that had all those d-backs out you would know that any offense would have attacked us there. Look at what every offense did to Lee when Coop went out.

It is obvious at this point that there is really nothing to salvage with respect to the offense so an OC can come in and scrap it all and start over. And they need to.
Your point about Iowa not scheming to a defense weakness….

This is something that has been true since the beginning. There were many KOK game days where we’d go up against a team that had their DL or DB depleted or just plain bad….and we’d do the opposite of what any other team would do….attack

I think what colored Kirk from the beginning was the success of the 2001-2002 offenses. Especially 2002

Iowa had playmakers at every position and we ran basic ass schemes but the defense couldn’t stop us. Kirk prob still feels like this can happen….but we don’t have NFL talent anywhere outside of TE

If it’s Philbin, i don’t think you see a change in this philosophy.

If it’s Christ, i think you get a weird marriage like GDGD and Kirkball

Also, did Iowa run a single audible this year? I know it’s always into a run, but i don’t remember seeing a single check out of a play

I want an OC who has an answer when defenses put 8-9 in the box, or how to actually beat a blitz because we haven’t had that for years.

Your point about Iowa not scheming to a defense weakness….

This is something that has been true since the beginning. There were many KOK game days where we’d go up against a team that had their DL or DB depleted or just plain bad….and we’d do the opposite of what any other team would do….attack

I think what colored Kirk from the beginning was the success of the 2001-2002 offenses. Especially 2002

Iowa had playmakers at every position and we ran basic ass schemes but the defense couldn’t stop us. Kirk prob still feels like this can happen….but we don’t have NFL talent anywhere outside of TE

If it’s Philbin, i don’t think you see a change in this philosophy.

If it’s Christ, i think you get a weird marriage like GDGD and Kirkball

Also, did Iowa run a single audible this year? I know it’s always into a run, but i don’t remember seeing a single check out of a play
I don’t think we did. Petras would audible to a short side run. That’s basically it.

I'd just like to remind everyone that KF has made 3 phone calls, all to Chryst. Not because he wants Chryst as OC, but because he wanted to get Chryst's thoughts on Budmayr as OC.
That’s a two minute conversation - max.

The 2nd call was reminiscing on games past.

The 3rd call was for a wife swap!

He needs to defer on a lot of things.

I honestly believe Kirk doesn’t have a clue how to fix the offense.
I think youre right and the big issue is the recruiting.

Iowa used to have good offensive lines made up of mostly midwest guys ,a lot of whom came in underdeveloped and would end up really good players after 3 or 4 years.

For whatever reason those guys just don't appear anymore.

The qbs and recivers are worse than they used to be too.

Kirk's still trying to run the same ultra conservative 1990s offense he always has but instead of working a couple times a game like it used to it doesn't work at all now because the talent has fallen off.

We don't need a running QB per se but someone that can (1) make plays with his legs when things break down and (2) force the defense to at least have to account for the QB. On second and goal early in the game, we did a read option and handed off to the rb for no gain. Had hill kept the ball he could have walked in since no defender seriously considered he'd keep it.
Running is just a basic part of the job description for QBs everywhere except at Iowa.

Its just whether you run as a first second or 3rd option.

But you cant seriously expect to play college quarterback and not run a few times every series, it just doesn’t work.

I don't know how Kirk still finds these statue qbs because there aren't many of them around in highschool.

And when Paul and Joe interview, I would believe they will tell Kirk they want their autonomy, including maybe some additional staff changes.
Joe is probably so close to retirement, why in the hell would he make those necessary demands?

A few more years of collecting a good paycheck and then dip out - might as well toe Kirk’s line.

Problem. Same shit different year.

I think a prime example of what you’re talking about is the quarterback bootleg. Defenses seem to recognize it before the quarterback has even faked the handoff. I don’t know if it’s the fullback and TE coming across the line of scrimmage that automatically tips them off but it seems there is always 2-3 defenders flying to the quarterback and out to the flat before the quarterback begins rolling out from faking the handoff. Whatever is going on it’s clear the defenders on that side of the field know the handoff is being faked before the fake has even been performed.

I mean, we’re not talking about a quick reaction. We’re talking about full on anticipation of what is happening at the onset of the play.
Iowa is disturbingly so tendency heavy on down and distance, personnel and formation wise it sets them up for failure especially up front.

Now I admit I don't follow your OC's searching, but is there an actual chance KF hires PC?

How bizarre would that be.

If the hire is Chryst or Philbin, surely Kirk will defer to them as to who they say should be the starting QB. Having been head coaches themselves.
I think he will if it is one of the two mentioned.
And when Paul and Joe interview, I would believe they will tell Kirk they want their autonomy, including maybe some additional staff changes.
Anyone know when Cade is supposed to be a full go for practice? Deacon cannot even be our #2 coming out of spring ball unless Cade isn’t cleared until fall. New OC just needs to tell Deac he is done.
Holy smokes! You have 4 posts in one thread that I completely agree with. Must be something weird with this new-year thing....;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT