ADVERTISEMENT

Any good news coming?

@el dub I didn't read opiods anywhere, anyways. Report was "prescription anti-anxiety drug Xanax," even though @Corby probably never saw any Minnesota wrestler blowing into a paper bag.
Scared Breaking Bad GIF by davidsaracino

Are you sure that dude isn't "huffing?"

I remember the first time I heard the term, "huffing." It was after a Walmart cashier made me show ID when I was buying auto supplies, and I asked "Why?" Come to think of it, I don't remember them doing that more recently.

• Haha
Reactions: el dub
If you are saying the gambling rules are stupid, I respectfully disagree. Statistically, 1% of all Americans develope gambling disorders. The NCAA and other sports organizations cannot afford for 1% of their athletes to develope gambling disorders and then become substantial risks or targets for throwing games to compensate for their gambling losses.
I have mixed feelings on the gambling rules. Some aspects clearly seem overboard, some MAYBE understandable. But your argument doesn't work for me. 83% of Amerians have at least 1 disorder, and probably more have some debts. It's not the NCAAs job to police 'life'.

Reactions: anon_0pi0cv8t1ggvb
I have mixed feelings on the gambling rules. Some aspects clearly seem overboard, some MAYBE understandable. But your argument doesn't work for me. 83% of Amerians have at least 1 disorder, and probably more have some debts. It's not the NCAAs job to police 'life'.
It is the NCAA's job to police their games and to make rules to help ensure the integrity of the games. If you assume the statistics are correct 1 out of 100 College football players are susceptible to gambling disorders, that means every year between 1 and 2 starting Division 1 college QBs (there are 130 starting Division 1 QBs) are susceptible to gambling disorders every year. The NCAA cannot risk having betwen 1 to 2 starting Divsion 1 college QBs (or any other position) with active gambling disorders while they are playing sports in college. IMO, The NCAA's straight up ban on gambling for its athletes as a condition to enjoy the privilege of playing college sports is a necessary rule.

Reactions: lookleft goright
It is the NCAA's job to police their games and to make rules to help ensure the integrity of the games. If you assume the statistics are correct 1 out of 100 College football players are susceptible to gambling disorders, that means every year between 1 and 2 starting Division 1 college QBs (there are 130 starting Division 1 QBs) are susceptible to gambling disorders every year. The NCAA cannot risk having betwen 1 to 2 starting Divsion 1 college QBs (or any other position) with active gambling disorders while they are playing sports in college. IMO, The NCAA's straight up ban on gambling for its athletes as a condition to enjoy the privilege of playing college sports is a necessary rule.
Not going to argue hard about this, I respect your concern. Would just say it's another rule to address the bad 1% that then controls the decisions of the other 99%. NCAA can write a rule that says it's illegal to accept money or gifts in exchange for any alteration of athletic performance and leave it at that. If they care that much, then put money in to enforcing that rule. Plus, gambling is not unique in terms of vulnerability to abuse. Car salesman could say I'll drop car price $10k if you lose tonight. Should athletes not be able to own a car, have a credit card, or do anything for which money-for-performance bribes could happen?
Edit - btw, I'm not a gambler or much of a fan of it, other than an occassional low dollar card game with family or friends.

Reactions: anon_0pi0cv8t1ggvb
In college me and my friends played penny poker and if we got crazy it would be dime poker. We also would add up what a movie and food would cost and head to the dog track and play $2.00 to show bets. We would be there all night. Much more fun than a movie night.

How great was he when he covered up his wrestlers dealing drugs?

(Hint: Not that great.)
The guy made a deal with the team that if everyone came clean, turned everything into him and stopped he would end it there. I can get not liking that agreement. He did it before any law was involved and honored his word. To me that is integrity.

Again, if anyone has an issue with him it’s over the agreement in the first place not how we handled it once the law got involved.

Plus, gambling is not unique in terms of vulnerability to abuse. Car salesman could say I'll drop car price $10k if you lose tonight. Should athletes not be able to own a car, have a credit card, or do anything for which money-for-performance bribes could happen?
Obviously, any athlete can be bribed. However, if an athlete has a gambling disorder and is allowed to gamble under NCAA rules, they are at a high risk of getting into serious financial difficulties as a result of their gambling which will make them more susceptible than the average player to taking bribes or gambling on their own games to get out of the gambling debt.

The guy made a deal with the team that if everyone came clean, turned everything into him and stopped he would end it there. I can get not liking that agreement. He did it before any law was involved and honored his word. To me that is integrity.

Again, if anyone has an issue with him it’s over the agreement in the first place not how we handled it once the law got involved.

Well, yeah. Because that’s exactly what a cover up is. 😂 “If anyone has any issue with him covering up drug use and drug dealing it’s about how how handled it.”

Great take. Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: GoHawks1996
Well, yeah. Because that’s exactly what a cover up is. 😂 “If anyone has any issue with him covering up drug use and drug dealing it’s about how how handled it.”

Great take. Lol
He apparent stopped that behavior of his athletes. There are multiple ways to fix problems. Sometimes going to the law might NOT necessarily be the BEST way to go.

Great take. Lol
You know damn well what I meant. Being intentionally obtuse because you are the most stubborn person on a board full of stubborn people doesn’t change that.

There is a monumental difference between a basic “cover up” like you implied and the fact he tried to end a bad situation by offering them a 1 time deal. End it, give me all the stuff and STOP doing it

Oh, and guess what? He did completely end what was going on. Meanwhile, a cover up is only designed to stop other people from finding out vs stop the issue from continuing or happening again.

You don’t like the deal, but the deal was NOT a cover up. Hell, even Attorney Generals and big time DA’s offer immunity. Is that covering up too?

How great was he when he covered up his wrestlers dealing drugs?

(Hint: Not that great.)
I honestly have no idea what happened up there with the drugs….. I didn’t follow the story that much….I’m just saying he was a guy who promoted and advanced wrestling in his day….. the drug dealing fiasco was a shame for sure and definitely ruined what should of been a hall of fame career

You know damn well what I meant. Being intentionally obtuse because you are the most stubborn person on a board full of stubborn people doesn’t change that.

There is a monumental difference between a basic “cover up” like you implied and the fact he tried to end a bad situation by offering them a 1 time deal. End it, give me all the stuff and STOP doing it

Oh, and guess what? He did completely end what was going on. Meanwhile, a cover up is only designed to stop other people from finding out vs stop the issue from continuing or happening again.

You don’t like the deal, but the deal was NOT a cover up. Hell, even Attorney Generals and big time DA’s offer immunity. Is that covering up too?

There is no difference. He had athletes dealing drugs. It is in no way his role to play law enforcement, judge, and jury. Not by a long shot. He was horribly wrong. He was fired for it. And rightfully so.

Reactions: OILCHECKER
There is no difference. He had athletes dealing drugs. It is in no way his role to play law enforcement, judge, and jury. Not by a long shot. He was horribly wrong. He was fired for it. And rightfully so.
Some believe it shouldn’t be a matter for criminal courts. Not horribly wrong here in OR, currently, btw. Times they are a changing. One day drugs will be seen as public health concern rather than legal.

We need to get the police out of public health matters. We should fund other programs for that, such as CAHOOTS in Eugene.

I disagree. Of course the university had no choice but to fire him and he was retirement age anyway, but that doesn't mean what he did was morally wrong. In my mind, he handled that situation admirably, wisely, and selflessly. He saved many young wrestlers from potentially becoming life long felons over a stupid non violent crime as college kids. I don't know how any of them have turned out today, but I'd imagine J Rob protecting them from legal trouble was a catalyst that put them on the right path and got their lives in order.

I disagree. Of course the university had no choice but to fire him and he was retirement age anyway, but that doesn't mean what he did was morally wrong. In my mind, he handled that situation admirably, wisely, and selflessly. He saved many young wrestlers from potentially becoming life long felons over a stupid non violent crime as college kids. I don't know how any of them have turned out today, but I'd imagine J Rob protecting them from legal trouble was a catalyst that put them on the right path and got their lives in order.

Yeah it really paid off. Ended super well.

Thinking college coaches should play policeman and judge is a total LOL. Guessing you wouldn’t feel the same if it was Cael. Wait…I know you wouldn’t.

Thinking college coaches should play policeman and judge is a total LOL. Guessing you wouldn’t feel the same if it was Cael. Wait…I know you wouldn’t.

Alright Spooner, I fully expect if you have any family members or friends who use or have used drugs or committed any non violent crimes whatsoever that you'll call the police and turn them in and let prosecutors and a judge determine their fate.

Reactions: vhsalum and el dub
Attorneys general
The British use Attorney-Generals. Since they were using the English language a few centuries before us “thugs” kicked them out of one of their colonies, I will make sure to add the hyphen. Therefore, you may go spend some time in the corner for violating the Anonymous Online Grammar Correcting Statute. Have a great day!

I somehow missed this absolute genius.

Anyway, J didn’t report the drug dealers to the AD. He collected the drugs and disposed of them himself (destroyed evidence). He told the athletes if they did that, they wouldn’t face further discipline. He refused to tell the AD or the authorities about what happened or who was involved. But yeah…not a cover up at all. 😂 All just a good day’s work.

Anyway, J didn’t report the drug dealers to the AD. He collected the drugs and disposed of them himself (destroyed evidence). He told the athletes if they did that, they wouldn’t face further discipline. He refused to tell the AD or the authorities about what happened or who was involved. But yeah…not a cover up at all. 😂 All just a good day’s work.
Good on J. It’s funny how your description of events bolsters my fealings on the subject.

If your child was dong something like that, would you turn him into the police or try to help him straighten himself out and do the right thing?
Many times coaches feel like their wrestlers are their own children and they feel the need to help and protect them, instead of bringing in the police.

If your child was dong something like that, would you turn him into the police or try to help him straighten himself out and do the right thing?
Many times coaches feel like their wrestlers are their own children and they feel the need to help and protect them, instead of bringing in the police.
Good point…..

Also, if your child was doing something like that, would you want his COACH to turn him/her in to the police or try and help them out?

Anyone who thinks the police are the answer, might be part of the problem, imo.

Or just use the correct term/phrasing/name.
You do realize, by only quoting that part of my post, you are telling that to moosemonster, correct? If you want to jump on the grammar correcting bandwagon, partial quotes are frowned upon and not using a comma after “or”,while vaguely replying to a 2 person debate, doesn’t help your cause!

Thank you for recognizing my genius. That had to be really hard for you to admit. Take care and I hope the rest of your weekend is spectacular!

You do realize, by only quoting that part of my post, you are telling that to moosemonster, correct? If you want to jump on the grammar correcting bandwagon, partial quotes are frowned upon and not using a comma after “or”,while vaguely replying to a 2 person debate, doesn’t help your cause!
Dudes like, bringing a dictionary to an encyclopedia fight.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT