ADVERTISEMENT

Any good news coming?

Browsing the ISU site and Dresser mentioned he's expecting suspensions from the gambling investigation.

Wonder how many Hawks get dinged?
On smalls' Iowa show yesterday he mentioned the gambling investigation and though he did not name names, he stated it involves very important wrestlers to their lineup. He also states that if said athletes bet $500 or more, by the book, they would lose an entire year of eligibility. He stated that deals can be made to lessen the punishment but he believes the punishments will be significant. (copy and pasted @rmg78 's summary from BWI - thank you).

On smalls' Iowa show yesterday he mentioned the gambling investigation and though he did not name names, he stated it involves very important wrestlers to their lineup. He also states that if said athletes bet $500 or more, by the book, they would lose an entire year of eligibility. He stated that deals can be made to lessen the punishment but he believes the punishments will be significant. (copy and pasted @rmg78 's summary from BWI - thank you).

Interesting because I heard the staff was just given the names yesterday and even the athletes don’t know for sure if they are under investigation because names are on the DL.

Interesting because I heard the staff was just given the names yesterday and even the athletes don’t know for sure if they are under investigation because names are on the DL.
Willie is big on gambling, the Iowa Racing and Gaming Commission probably just let him know before the coaches so he could release his show in a timely manner.

I know this has been predicted by others, but I suspect the NCAA will make an example of Iowa/ISU.
At least 50% of season, likely an entire year.
JMO.

• Wow
Reactions: natchrlman
Shows one of the big differences between little dipsh*ts show and FRL.
Guys on FRL would never speculate on stuff like this and other topics they don't have the facts on.
If something becomes a proven fact they will address it, but otherwise they leave it alone.
Unlike little dipsh*t who loves to spew whatever rumor he hears.

Guys on FRL would never speculate on stuff like this and other topics they don't have the facts on.
If something becomes a proven fact they will address it, but otherwise they leave it alone.
How long have you listened to FRL?

I know this has been predicted by others, but I suspect the NCAA will make an example of Iowa/ISU.
At least 50% of season, likely an entire year.
JMO.

between the gambling, tampering to get kids into the portal, and illegal nil deals worth 350k there is a good chance the entire wrestling program is suspended. heck maybe they even close the university.

doesn’t matter cause the Ferraris are burning the whole state to the ground anyway
comedy central animation GIF

Serious question - Do you really think the Hawkeyes, or any one Hawkeye will be suspended? Would that be an automatic firing of the whole coaching staff? If any of this is true I would think so. Or even hope so. This sort of reminds me of the Ok. State that got a one-year ban if my memory is correct. There was a lot of talk that Pat Smith was going to transfer somewhere to get his 4th title. What a mess. Hopefully, we won't have to go down a similar path.

• Haha
Reactions: derekforhawks
Serious question - Do you really think the Hawkeyes, or any one Hawkeye will be suspended? Would that be an automatic firing of the whole coaching staff? If any of this is true I would think so. Or even hope so. This sort of reminds me of the Ok. State that got a one-year ban if my memory is correct. There was a lot of talk that Pat Smith was going to transfer somewhere to get his 4th title. What a mess. Hopefully, we won't have to go down a similar path.
What? Seriously? Damn, the Taliban ain’t THAT heavy, brah.

TnT shouldn't have to pay a price for something done by individual wrestlers.

And there have been no stories that any of the gambling even involved any Iowa competitive events.

TnT shouldn't have to pay a price for something done by individual wrestlers.

And there have been no stories that any of the gambling even involved any Iowa competitive events.
Thanks for the reality check, Mitch.

Seriously? Lol

No. Every athlete gets a code of conduct/rules briefing etc and sign off on it. As stupid as this rule is, they knew about it and did it anyways.

They have come out out and said the gambling issues aren’t centered around points shaving or throwing matches. Shouldn’t be any repercussions beyond the athletes unless any of the coaches are as dumb as J Robinson.

Reactions: el dub
They have come out out and said the gambling issues aren’t centered around points shaving or throwing matches. Shouldn’t be any repercussions beyond the athletes unless any of the coaches are as dumb as J Robinson.
You have zero respect for the man who threw himself upon his sword to save those kids from a permanent felony record. J would give zero F's as to your opinion of him. He is also a Vietnam vet.

You have zero respect for the man who threw himself upon his sword to save those kids from a permanent felony record. J would give zero F's as to your opinion of him. He is also a Vietnam vet.
The wrestlers were allegedly selling opioids. Are you okay with the wrestlers getting other students addicted to opioids? There is an epidemic of opioid addiction in this country and a ton of people are OD'ing from them. Not necessarily a sword I would want to die on.

The wrestlers were allegedly selling opioids. Are you okay with the wrestlers getting other students addicted to opioids? There is an epidemic of opioid addiction in this country and a ton of people are OD'ing from them. Not necessarily a sword I would want to die on.
J did a controversial but noble thing here. He knew his job was toast anyway, and gave those idjits a second chance. And no, I am NOT ok with the re-selling of the drugs. To call him dumb....maybe he enabled possibly one of the dorks to repeat the action but may have saved them all from themselves at least in this escapade. Hopefully they all saw the light and have moved away from this foolishness.

If you knew J, you would know why I'm defending his honor.

this is why it’s better to not write stupid rules….. the Ncaa seems to go out of their way to have them
If you are saying the gambling rules are stupid, I respectfully disagree. Statistically, 1% of all Americans develope gambling disorders. The NCAA and other sports organizations cannot afford for 1% of their athletes to develope gambling disorders and then become substantial risks or targets for throwing games to compensate for their gambling losses.

Last edited:
For what it is worth, Willie did not mention names and also said that he believes it is BS that college athletes cannot make bets on stuff like NFL football and is against kids being suspended for stuff like that

Reactions: HawkFan1986
JRob was great for wrestling….. I don’t know the whole story on the drugs but it’s unfortunate he went out like he did
Iowa Wrestling was pretty much untouchable until he left. Then, he touched Iowa up at Minnesota. Don't know anything about "shady" real estate dealing?

Reactions: natchrlman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT