ADVERTISEMENT

At Some Point...

DaleLoon

Rookie
May 9, 2018
You have to realize Iowa has a ceiling with Kirk. That ceiling being double digit wins, an elite defense, and sometimes an adequate offense. Rutgers would die for that. Nebraska won't admit it, but they would take it after a decade plus of not being better than Iowa. That was Nebraska's statement after firing Pelini right?

So that's why half the fanbase adamantly defends Kirk. They are afraid of lowering the basement. Iowa isn't a power, it's a state with a small populace.

The fire Ferentz crowd sees what Iowa can do in great seasons. If only a new guy could upgrade the offense, pair it with the defense. Why can't Iowa be what Utah is? Why can't Iowa at least rise to Penn State tier level? Look at Washington, Oregon, or Clemson. They've leveled up, they aren't traditional powers.

Whatever side you're on, you know what you got with Kirk. It's not great, but it sure is better than terrible .

I’m a fan of Kirk, but it really feels like he’s gone out of his way to not field a competitive offense for several years. In doing so, he’s robbed the student athletes of opportunities. Until he can get serious about putting a complete team together, Iowa will, and should be, considered an unserious team.

You have to realize Iowa has a ceiling with Kirk. That ceiling being double digit wins, an elite defense, and sometimes an adequate offense. Rutgers would die for that. Nebraska won't admit it, but they would take it after a decade plus of not being better than Iowa. That was Nebraska's statement after firing Pelini right?

So that's why half the fanbase adamantly defends Kirk. They are afraid of lowering the basement. Iowa isn't a power, it's a state with a small populace.

The fire Ferentz crowd sees what Iowa can do in great seasons. If only a new guy could upgrade the offense, pair it with the defense. Why can't Iowa be what Utah is? Why can't Iowa at least rise to Penn State tier level? Look at Washington, Oregon, or Clemson. They've leveled up, they aren't traditional powers.

Whatever side you're on, you know what you got with Kirk. It's not great, but it sure is better than terrible .
Absolutele bullshit.

Iowa was the laughing stock - Deacon - is not a Big Ten quarterback - disgusting!!!! Time for Kirk to retired or get fired. I have followed Iowa for 64 years and this is the worst quarterback in that time. The O-Line constantly let the defense get to the Deacon but at 260 lbs. he can't run faster than a 70 year old with two artificial knees. It is criminal for Kirk to make $7,200,000 a year. It is criminal not to play a 2nd team QB or 3rd team QB. I will join the protest to get rid of the Ferentz family entirely!!

Ok, who would want to be Utah this year? Iowa periodically beats Penn State?

Seasons are unique…Penn State, Utah, and Iowa will all be in playoff contention in years to come. That’s the target right?

Iowa was the laughing stock - Deacon - is not a Big Ten quarterback - disgusting!!!! Time for Kirk to retired or get fired. I have followed Iowa for 64 years and this is the worst quarterback in that time. The O-Line constantly let the defense get to the Deacon but at 260 lbs. he can't run faster than a 70 year old with two artificial knees. It is criminal for Kirk to make $7,200,000 a year. It is criminal not to play a 2nd team QB or 3rd team QB. I will join the protest to get rid of the Ferentz family entirely!!
They played in the conf championship game. There is no need to apologize for that. every season is unique.

• Haha
Reactions: ddeanHawk

The reason we've had the success we've had is because the West is so weak. 10 win seasons are going to be much fewer and further between starting next year.

At some point... try another f'n QB. I don't know what the answer is or if we even have it but I know Deacon isn't it. So frustrating
I think part of it is the uncertainty the offensive staff has on what the next guy brings. They've made this thing so complicated for QB1 that QB2 would never handle being thrown into the game off the cuff.

Look at Deacon, for example. It took the staff 3 weeks after Cade went down just to be able to get a couple first downs and a score with Hill.

Yet another reason Brian had to go.

I think part of it is the uncertainty the offensive staff has on what the next guy brings. They've made this thing so complicated for QB1 that QB2 would never handle being thrown into the game off the cuff.

Look at Deacon, for example. It took the staff 3 weeks after Cade went down just to be able to get a couple first downs and a score with Hill.

Yet another reason Brian had to go.
Again, it's not all on Brian. This is KF offense. This has been going on way before BF took over.

List the teams that have made the playoffs and then list the teams since the playoffs have become a thing in order of wins.

I get clamoring for a better offense but KF has made the team a consistent winner.

Reactions: kceasthawk
The reason we've had the success we've had is because the West is so weak. 10 win seasons are going to be much fewer and further between starting next year.
Perhaps, but IMO the 2024 schedule isn’t that brutal on paper.

@Minnesota
@Ohio State
Washington
@Michigan State
Northwestern
Wisconsin
@UCLA
@Maryland
Nebraska

If this were the 2023 schedule, Ohio State and Washington are definitely losses. The rest? Meh. Everyone else is very beatable.

The bottom line is the offense has to get better. I honestly think Brian being gone is a huge step in the right direction. I am pretty confident in saying Brian was in over his head and there was no way Kirk was ever going to admit it. A decent OC will make the Iowa offense at least below average. I think most of us would be fine with that.

Second, Kirk cannot continue to trot out immobile quarterbacks with accuracy issues. That also has to change. Here’s to hoping Marco Lainez can be the type of quarterback we have been begging for. Moving forward, though, only recruit or take quarterbacks from the portal who can move.

Third, take shots down the field. Make 15-25 yard pass attempts more than once a game. Stop with the empty sets. Everyone knows you’re trying to throw quick. Get protection in the backfield and let patterns develop downfield. Then you can check down to the flat. After there is some semblance of a vertical passing threat, then you can dial up screen passes to running backs when you know the defense is bringing heat.

The bottom line is the Iowa offense is trash because they try to play inside a phone booth. You can’t run the football effectively that way and you can’t get chunk plays in the passing game when the defense is flying downhill tackling TEs and fullbacks after 2 and 3 yard horizontal routes. Yes, the Jimmys and Joes matter, but the Xs and Os can’t be this awful, either.

Reactions: MitchLL and littlez
Probably the worst oline in the Ferentz era.

@Minnesota
@Ohio State
Washington
@Michigan State
Northwestern
Wisconsin
@UCLA
@Maryland
Nebraska

If this were the 2023 schedule, Ohio State and Washington are definitely losses. The rest? Meh. Everyone else is very beatable.

The bottom line is the offense has to get better. I honestly think Brian being gone is a huge step in the right direction. I am pretty confident in saying Brian was in over his head and there was no way Kirk was ever going to admit it. A decent OC will make the Iowa offense at least below average. I think most of us would be fine with that.

Second, Kirk cannot continue to trot out immobile quarterbacks with accuracy issues. That also has to change. Here’s to hoping Marco Lainez can be the type of quarterback we have been begging for. Moving forward, though, only recruit or take quarterbacks from the portal who can move.

Third, take shots down the field. Make 15-25 yard pass attempts more than once a game. Stop with the empty sets. Everyone knows you’re trying to throw quick. Get protection in the backfield and let patterns develop downfield. Then you can check down to the flat. After there is some semblance of a vertical passing threat, then you can dial up screen passes to running backs when you know the defense is bringing heat.

The bottom line is the Iowa offense is trash because they try to play inside a phone booth. You can’t run the football effectively that way and you can’t get chunk plays in the passing game when the defense is flying downhill tackling TEs and fullbacks after 2 and 3 yard horizontal routes. Yes, the Jimmys and Joes matter, but the Xs and Os can’t be this awful, either.
I really hope rumors that Kirk/Iowa have reached out to Utah/Washington staffs about OC have something to them.

While on paper I agree the '24 schedule doesn't look impossible, that November schedule is daunting to me. Wisconsin, then consecutive road games on opposite coasts followed Nebraska. That's alot of mileage to handle.
Probably the worst oline in the Ferentz era.
Not really. I'm not sure they're in the bottom 5 honestly. Pass pro was definitely improved, and run blocking imo is deceptive here because how often they blocked into 8, 9 and sometimes 10 man boxes.

I’m a fan of Kirk, but it really feels like he’s gone out of his way to not field a competitive offense for several years. In doing so, he’s robbed the student athletes of opportunities. Until he can get serious about putting a complete team together, Iowa will, and should be, considered an unserious team.
You have to wonder about that. I know it isn't the case, but it LOOKS like he is purposely trying to have the worst offense in football.

And before someone jumps all over me.....note I said I know it isn't the case.

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok
I really hope rumors that Kirk/Iowa have reached out to Utah/Washington staffs about OC have something to them.

While on paper I agree the '24 schedule doesn't look impossible, that November schedule is daunting to me. Wisconsin, then consecutive road games on opposite coasts followed Nebraska. That's alot of mileage to handle.

Not really. I'm not sure they're in the bottom 5 honestly. Pass pro was definitely improved, and run blocking imo is deceptive here because how often they blocked into 8, 9 and sometimes 10 man boxes.
Yeah, I’m not suggesting it’s easy, but I think some fans have this idea that Iowa is going through the gauntlet every year with the conference expansion. I have no idea how things will look next year, but teams we normally think of as powerhouses, like Oregon, Michigan, USC, and Penn State, are not on the schedule in 2024. Obviously, some years will be more brutal than others, but it’s not like all of the sudden Iowa is going to be lucky to go 5-7 because the schedule is so hard.

Yes, if Iowa continues to have the 129th or whatever rated offense moving forward, then all bets are off. But if Iowa had the 2024 schedule this year, they could easily be 8-4/9-3 despite the atrocious offense. That’s my point.

@Minnesota
@Ohio State
Washington
@Michigan State
Northwestern
Wisconsin
@UCLA
@Maryland
Nebraska

We honestly couldn’t get a better schedule next year. At Ohio St will of course be a drubbing. Obviously if it was this year’s Washington it would be a loss. We have no idea what to expect from them but I think they’re going to still be a top 3-4 program moving forward. The rest of the schedule is littered with mediocre to awful teams. If we continue to have this offense we could be anywhere from 4-8 to 8-4. There’s little to no margin for error. But a magical 10 win season averaging 16 points cannot happen again. It just can’t.

Reactions: RagnarLothbrok

@Minnesota
@Ohio State
Washington
@Michigan State
Northwestern
Wisconsin
@UCLA
@Maryland
Nebraska

But he can because people accept it.

I can't wrap my mind around why he still wants to have these type of guys.

No one else uses qbs that can't run anymore because it's such an obvious disadvantage.

But he can because people accept it.

I can't wrap my mind around why he still wants to have these type of guys.

No one else uses qbs that can't run anymore because it's such an obvious disadvantage.
Have said before - it's not that a QB has to be able to run that's the key imo...it's that a minimum they HAVE to be able to maneuver in the pocket and avoid the rush at times. As limited as he was at the start of the season, you could see Cade doing that - back pedaling to buy time, side step a guy rushing past etc.

It's wonderful to have a QB that can take off and run, but not 100% essential. You just can't have a guy that's effectively nailed to one spot in the pocket. If nothing else, it's another thing that can make an OL look worse than it really is, when they have to protect a fixed spot because the DL knows where the QB will be.

Reactions: littlez
Have said before - it's not that a QB has to be able to run that's the key imo...it's that a minimum they HAVE to be able to maneuver in the pocket and avoid the rush at times. As limited as he was at the start of the season, you could see Cade doing that - back pedaling to buy time, side step a guy rushing past etc.

It's wonderful to have a QB that can take off and run, but not 100% essential. You just can't have a guy that's effectively nailed to one spot in the pocket. If nothing else, it's another thing that can make an OL look worse than it really is, when they have to protect a fixed spot because the DL knows where the QB will be.
If you can maneuver in the pocket to avoid rushers you can easily run to pick up free yards.

I don't even know how it's possible to find two different guys with such limited mobility as Petras and Hill considering nearly all qbs can run now.

It's a mental deficiency in the head coach to even allow himself to be in this situation let alone seemingly doing it on purpose.

Reactions: littlez
If you can maneuver in the pocket to avoid rushers you can easily run to pick up free yards.

I don't even know how it's possible to find two different guys with such limited mobility as Petras and Hill considering nearly all qbs can run now.

It's a mental deficiency in the head coach to even allow himself to be in this situation let alone seemingly doing it on purpose.
Agreed - most posters seem to think of running qbs where you design plays for them to run, that they're a part of the rushing attack.

I'm thinking of guys in the mold of say a Brees or Manning or Brady. (admittedly, a nearly extinct breed now) Guys who mostly stood in the pocket but knew how to maneuver inside it so they weren't sitting ducks. Stanley for example, wasn't a mobile quarterback, but had decent pocket presence and was capable of buying time when needed. We didn't have that with Petras, didn't get to see Cade do that due to his injury, and only rarely has Hill shown that ability - wish he'd shown the willingness to take off and run like he did vs Illinois that one time.

It's weird - Kirk's best teams had qbs who could escape the pocket when needed and do things with their legs on occasion (Banks, Tate, Stanzi, CJB). I really don't know whether or not Kirk has intentionally avoided QBs with that ability, or if they just haven't been able to marry that ability to the conservative philosophy that Kirk has committed to as the HC. Lainez and Resar seem to be more dual-threat options at QB than we've seen in awhile, hopefully that means Kirk is conceding some ground there. Who he picks as the next OC will tell us a lot.

Reactions: 83Hawk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT