ADVERTISEMENT

breaking down the SR class by needs

what don't you understand about 51 wins and 23 losses in 5 years don't you don't understand and 4 straight top 25 finishes.

yet all you have to fall back on is just one season.

what a total ass.
What did the offense rank 2 years ago? With your logic those years where OU made the playoffs with record offensive #s their DC should get equal credit for fielding some of the worst defenses in the nation.

Reactions: Tunadog
Steadily declining offense. Phil and LeVar are carrying the program. Live in the NOW!
I love how the Kool aid drinkers bring up the W/L records. But rationale Iowa fans and college football people realize how many more Ws could’ve had with a competent Offense. Like last year record breaking D and only had 7 wins. 2 losses where D held opponent to 10 and 9 pts.

• Sad
Reactions: Iron Doc
Steadily declining offense. Phil and LeVar are carrying the program. Live in the NOW!
your now is worthless as you want to ignore Brian's full 6 years, 59 wins and 28 losses. for a 67.8% winning percentage. still one of the best % in the FBS.

GO some where else to cry. or in this case BITCH as its the only thing you know how to do.

Reactions: F5n5
in the end the Wins vs Losses are the only thing that matter to the ones writing the checks. what a bunch of nobodies on a msg board thinks as no umpact,

your now is worthless as you want to ignore Brian's full 6 years, 59 wins and 28 losses. for a 67.8% winning percentage. still one of the best % in the FBS.

GO some where else to cry. or in this case BITCH as its the only thing you know how to do.
What don't you understand about steady decline and 130/131?
Not at all sure why you haven't been banned.

in the end the Wins vs Losses are the only thing that matter to the ones writing the checks. what a bunch of nobodies on a msg board thinks as no umpact,
And the people writing those checks recognized how horrific the offense has been and forced a paycut and added performance standards upon the individual in charge of the offense. Again, the msg board posters didn't force this on BF...

what don't you understand about 51 wins and 23 losses in 5 years don't you don't understand and 4 straight top 25 finishes.
jive-airplane.gif

yet all you have to fall back on is just one season.

what a total ass.

I love how the Kool aid drinkers bring up the W/L records. But rationale Iowa fans and college football people realize how many more Ws could’ve had with a competent Offense. Like last year record breaking D and only had 7 wins. 2 losses where D held opponent to 10 and 9 pts.
While I think a lot of the anti-Brian stuff is over the top, there’s also a fair amount that’s justified. The last two years especially, to say the offense had a major role in most of those wins is frankly ridiculous. Especially last year when there were two games that the offense had to score a mere 11 points and Iowa wins.

Reactions: nu2u
you do realize that the offenses being run is how Kirk wants it run. he said when became the HC he wanted the offense to be balanced between the run and the pass and he has never swayed from that, Also he refuses to run up the score. just to make the fans happy, as a win is still a win no matter how points are scored, he is just as happy with 6-4 win as any other score in a game.

why don't you posters go follow the B12 or SEC schools since IA won't score all these points and racking up all these meaningless yards that you desperately feel that you are entitled to,

Wait a minute, read that again, “kool,aid drinkers bring up wins and losses”

lol, that’s really all that matters

you do realize that the offenses being run is how Kirk wants it run. he said when became the HC he wanted the offense to be balanced between the run and the pass and he has never swayed from that, Also he refuses to run up the score. just to make the fans happy, as a win is still a win no matter how points are scored, he is just as happy with 6-4 win as any other score in a game.

why don't you posters go follow the B12 or SEC schools since IA won't score all these points and racking up all these meaningless yards that you desperately feel that you are entitled to,
He had better learn how to run up the score or his son will be unemployed until a NFL team/ college program is willing to take the PR hit that will ensue if they take the huge risk of hiring him.

Reactions: Iron Doc
You would think. Joey throws will be in year three and has evidently already been passed by Hill who's had even less college playing time and with a different team. Sitting third team , still I'd be shocked if he's here next season
Labas I thought was serviceable last season in the bowl game. He didn't look like the statue-like QB's we have been accustomed to seeing and BF had actually called some run plays for him which Labas showed he has mobility.

Wait a minute, read that again, “kool,aid drinkers bring up wins and losses”

lol, that’s really all that matters
Of course you didn’t 7 understand the context of the post. In defense of BF ineptitude as an OC. Any other stat you throw out for him is subpar so that’s why apologist can only run back with the W/L argument. Question I’ve asked which is never answered. Running successful business with great profit margin. But one sector doesn’t pull its weight and always at the bottom or in the negative. Do you so forget about it because business is going well or try and fix the weak link and make changes to it? Or better yet does that sector get equal credit for the companies profit margin too being part of the team and do you still go with same guy who has had sub standard results running it?

Of course you didn’t 7 understand the context of the post. In defense of BF ineptitude as an OC. Any other stat you throw out for him is subpar so that’s why apologist can only run back with the W/L argument. Question I’ve asked which is never answered. Running successful business with great profit margin. But one sector doesn’t pull its weight and always at the bottom or in the negative. Do you so forget about it because business is going well or try and fix the weak link and make changes to it? Or better yet does that sector get equal credit for the companies profit margin too being part of the team and do you still go with same guy who has had sub standard results running it?
It has nothing to do with BF and in fact I e never defended BF in a single post, I’m just stating the obvious. Wins and Losses are the bottom line. I don’t care if you have a Mike Leach 600 years a game offense or a Bill Parcells ball control, win with defense and special teams approach. Wins and Losses.

you can sit here and say we would have went 11-2 or 12-1 if we had Just done this or that, well so could every other team in the country. Fact is they won ten games. That’s not a miserable disaster no matter how much you bellyache.

again, I don’t just look at last year , I look at the 22 previous years also. If 8-5 is your worst rebuilding Year, things could be a lot worse.

It has nothing to do with BF and in fact I e never defended BF in a single post, I’m just stating the obvious. Wins and Losses are the bottom line. I don’t care if you have a Mike Leach 600 years a game offense or a Bill Parcells ball control, win with defense and special teams approach. Wins and Losses.

you can sit here and say we would have went 11-2 or 12-1 if we had Just done this or that, well so could every other team in the country. Fact is they won ten games. That’s not a miserable disaster no matter how much you bellyache.

again, I don’t just look at last year , I look at the 22 previous years also. If 8-5 is your worst rebuilding Year, things could be a lot worse.
That’s the thing as good Iowa has been could’ve been even better with elite Ds we’ve had with great special teams play. The rebuttal to that is we are Iowa we should be satisfied with the results. And yes to an extent I agree. However certain seasons there is nothing wrong with not wanting more and calling it a squandered opportunity. 2010 perfect example. All the talent in the world and finished 8-5.

This last season another with an elite D top 2 in the nation. Offense ranked 100th not 130 for arguments sake we go 10-2, 9-3 least and win the west. And looking over last 6 years lot of games we’ve lost where the D set us up and offense sputtered and lot of lost opportunities. Minus 18’ purdue tough to name a game where D really let us down unlike the offense who has had many clunkers. Any way you cut it the offense has not carried its weight to the other 2 facets and hold it’s end of the bargain to the “complimentary football” argument. Yes we’ve had good winning % but only one division title and few decent bowls to show for it.

Last edited:
Labas I thought was serviceable last season in the bowl game. He didn't look like the statue-like QB's we have been accustomed to seeing and BF had actually called some run plays for him which Labas showed he has mobility.
I don't disagree, just don't think given the current trends with transfers he's going to stay here as the number 3 guy much longer...

That’s the thing as good Iowa has been could’ve been even better with elite Ds we’ve had with great special teams play. The rebuttal to that is we are Iowa we should be satisfied with the results. And yes to an extent I agree. However certain seasons there is nothing wrong with not wanting more and calling it a squandered opportunity. 2010 perfect example. All the talent in the world and finished 8-5.

This last season another with an elite D top 2 in the nation. Offense ranked 100th not 130 for arguments sake we go 10-2, 9-3 least and win the west. And looking over last 6 years lot of games we’ve lost where the D set us up and offense sputtered and lot of lost opportunities. Minus 18’ purdue tough to name a game where D really let us down unlike the offense who has had many clunkers. Any way you cut it the offense has not carried its weight to the other 2 facets and hold it’s end of the bargain to the “complimentary football” argument. Yes we’ve had good winning % but only one division title and few decent bowls to show for it.
all that talent in the world that was rated 11th graduated in 2009 as RSSR's.

that season Stanzi thru for over 2400 yards with the running game being led by RSFR Robinson 834 yards and FR Wegher 641 yards as a team they had 1485 rushing yards. yet dispite those lousy stats IA went 11-2 and ended up #7 nation

in 2010 Stanzi threw for 3004 yards Robinson led the team in rushing with 941 yards Wegher left the team and in his place Coker gained 622 yards.
top receivers were
McNutt 53 catches for 861 yards
DJK 46 Catches for 745 yards
TE Reisner 42 catches for 460 yards

maybe that 2010 team .was not as loaded as posters tried to make it to be. but that is the IA way to make things up when IA does not produce like you feel you have a right to have

BT Championships and National Championships or the coaches and the players are failures, the 2009 team was the best chance IA had to win a NC but Stanzi got hurt. hmmm there is that damn word INJURY again that cost them a shot at the NC. its amazing how injuries can affect a team.

the 2022 team was riddled with injuries but here we go again fire everybody as the coaches and players are forever failures. from now until doomsday unless these players are kicked off the team and coaches are fired.

that are what these posters want because the team didn't produce what they feel they deserve. wish I had the money as I wonder how much of a contribution it would take to get the UI President to pull the access of this site UNLESS they would clean these boards up.

no more attacks on the players and University employees would be at the top of the list.

that season Stanzi thru for over 2400 yards with the running game being led by RSFR Robinson 834 yards and FR Wegher 641 yards as a team they had 1485 rushing yards. yet dispite those lousy stats IA went 11-2 and ended up #7 nation

in 2010 Stanzi threw for 3004 yards Robinson led the team in rushing with 941 yards Wegher left the team and in his place Coker gained 622 yards.
top receivers were

maybe that 2010 team .was not as loaded as posters tried to make it to be. but that is the IA way to make things up when IA does not produce like you feel you have a right to have

BT Championships and National Championships or the coaches and the players are failures, the 2009 team was the best chance IA had to win a NC but Stanzi got hurt. hmmm there is that damn word INJURY again that cost them a shot at the NC. its amazing how injuries can affect a team.

the 2022 team was riddled with injuries but here we go again fire everybody as the coaches and players are forever failures. from now until doomsday unless these players are kicked off the team and coaches are fired.

that are what these posters want because the team didn't produce what they feel they deserve. wish I had the money as I wonder how much of a contribution it would take to get the UI President to pull the access of this site UNLESS they would clean these boards up.

no more attacks on the players and University employees would be at the top of the list.
Absolutism at its finest

Rick Heller wants to know if he qualifies as a university employee. Or is it the ‘rules for thee but not for me’ in effect?

top receivers were

Over/under on NFL players on the 2010 team?

Over/under on NFL players on the 2010 team?
That ‘09 and ‘10 versions would have more NFL players than you might think - what killed the ‘10 team was the defense got wrecked by injuries., but had clayborn and a couple others from the Dline, morris saw time, and obviously a couple guys in the secondary.

You do realize there genius the U of President and the U have zero say on what goes on with these message boards which is owned by rivals (the company you call racist). Irony is if someone were to clean them up you’d be the first to go.

That ‘09 and ‘10 versions would have more NFL players than you might think - what killed the ‘10 team was the defense got wrecked by injuries., but had clayborn and a couple others from the Dline, morris saw time, and obviously a couple guys in the secondary.
HAH there is that word INJURIES again something that is not allowed for the last 2 seasons. just like the 2012 seasons where on back to back playes IA lost their LT to a broken leg then on the next play they lost their RT to a ACL they ended up losing 4 more OL to season ending injuries and went 4-8.

sometimes injuries are to hard to overcome. especially a team like IA that does not get the plug and play guys to often and when they do now they have to compete with another team that has more $$$$ to pay them.

HAH there is that word INJURIES again something that is not allowed for the last 2 seasons. just like the 2012 seasons where on back to back playes IA lost their LT to a broken leg then on the next play they lost their RT to a ACL they ended up losing 4 more OL to season ending injuries and went 4-8.

sometimes injuries are to hard to overcome. especially a team like IA that does not get the plug and play guys to often and when they do now they have to compete with another team that has more $$$$ to pay them.

You have a remarkable ability to selectively ignore prior posts. I’ve never said Brian was solely to blame for the struggles the last two years - ironically I’ve been painted as a Ferentz defender frequently. Multiple things can be true - Brian could be guilty of not being great at his job AND they were hamstrung by other mitigating factors as well that contributed to those struggles.

You can’t attribute being ranked 130th on offense and say coaching had no role in it.

Reactions: iahawkeyes17

A team with 20 NFL players shouldn’t be decimated with injuries if I follow your logic in other listings of star rankings

Reactions: iahawkeyes17
or the O line reverts back to at least average play as demonstrated over the last 20+ seasons and the weapons Cade has are upgraded and Iowa has a good year.
sounds like you are hoping for the worst, which is unlikely to happen.

is Cade better than Petras ? Yes, will the O line be better than last year , if healthy, yes. Are the receivers and backs going to be better, yes. Given all that Iowa still went 8-5 last year and has a more favorable schedule this year.

The last few year of the OL has been bad. The overall performance has been on a downward slope sine the era's of Philbin an Morgan ended. Some great individual performances...As a unit...no. I want Cade/Iowa to win every game. I have limited confidence BF/Barnett are capable of leading their units to the point Iowa will not be a continually laughingstock.
I've found myself kinda straddling the fence on this topic ... largely because I'm one who tends to err on the side of Chuck's logic ... however, I kinda feel burned from how things transpired last season.

To give a little background/context ... if you remember, even with Linderbaum, our OL play was largely a disappointment in 2021. It was easy for me to shrug that one off ... we had some unexpected personnel turnover, we had a new position coach, we were pretty young at the position, and we dealt with an above-average amount of injury-adversity at the position.

So with my aforementioned "excuses" in hand ... I found myself taking the view entering the '22 season that the OL play could get any worse. Of course, as a whole, it REALLY DID get worse! Of course, to be fair, that judgement of the OL is based on the unit as a totality. In terms of individuals ... I saw individual growth by most of the players. However, Iowa's brand of OL is premised solely upon having some of the guys improve ... an OL is only as good as its weakest link (or links). Furthermore, out of fairness to the OL ... the exited summer/fall camp as a triage unit ... so it's really hard to play strong, tough, aggressive ball when a lot of your guys are less than 100% from the get-go. Furthermore, the closest thing to a real veteran/leader for the unit was Richman ... but the poor guy was just a RS SO. On the OL, veteran leadership can really supply a "steadying hand" for the young guys ... it helps cultivate confidence as a unit and helps accelerate the development of the younger guys. So what happens when the unit lacks such a veteran presence? ... a season like '22 happens, that's what!

A lot of Iowa fans are throwing Barnett under the bus ... and, perhaps, deservedly so. However, even following past precedent, Philbin's impressive OLs didn't happen overnight ... the OLs of the '01 and '02 seasons had to be built from the ground up! I've stated it many times before ... but I clearly remember fans lamenting the loss of Philbin and crucifying Morgan as the OL coach ... which, with the benefit of hindsight ... is just amusing considering that Morgan ended up becoming a fantastic OL coach for us. While fans here might not like to admit it ... but when Brian took over the OL-coaching gig from Reese ... that was one of the very few OL-coaching transitions where we saw little to no drop-off. Of course, the '12 season was a disappointment ... but between the changeover in schemes and the injuries to Scherff and Donnal ... I don't really hold the '12 season against Brian.

Anyhow, will we see some payoff from Kirk's patience with Barnett? Will Barnett be starting to catch his groove and be getting his guys up to the point where they're holding up the Iowa standard on the OL? It took years before the Morgan-coach OLs really started clicking. What will be the timeline for the current units? I know that (some of) the fanatics here have little patience ... but perhaps there are merits to longer-term thinking?

While many Iowa fans like to throw Brian under the bus ... and, as in the case of Barnett, maybe some of it is deserved ... many of those same fans seem to rationalize away how Iowa's Os were pretty darn efficient in '18 and '20. Certainly, Brian needs to demonstrate that he can simplify the schemes more for his "dumb-dumbs" ... but that is part of the reason why Jon is there.

Anyhow, if guys can be healthy on the OL ... are they finally experienced and confident enough to execute consistently at a high level? Can we get a guy to emerge at RT who can truly "hold down the fort?" Logan admitted that he spent a big hunk of last season "not knowing what he was doing" ... and, damn, did it show! However, between an improved understanding of what he's doing, combined with the experience from a year of play and having an experienced guy like Feth competing with him (along with hopefully a healthy Mylinski competing with him) ... might we see positive steps forward at C?

I honestly DO believe that the pieces are in place for the OL to now make some significant strides. I think that the experience gained by young guys like Dunker and Stephens are a key part of that equation. However, I think that seeing the elevation in leadership, demonstrated by upperclassmen like Richman, Parker, Feth, DeJong, and Jones are another part of it too. The development of Colby might prove to a a microcosm of the OL. If we can see Connor regain the aggressiveness and spark that we saw from him as a TR FR ... then there is plenty of reason for hope. Last year we obviously saw some regression with his move out from OG to OT ... however, upon moving back to OG, some of the "bleeding" was quelled. What will we see in '23?

As a parting shot, whether folks here agree with the following claim or not ... I still feel that it is a fair characterization. I truly believe that Petras and Brian got a vote of no-confidence from (some of) our receiving targets over the prior 2 years. With that vote of no confidence ... I believe that it ultimately sunk the confidence of our entire offensive unit. Usually, when that sort of situation transpires ... you see a reshuffling of coaching staffs ... wherein hope springs eternal, and players hold out confidence that the new staff will guide them to improved play. Truth be told ... I think that much of this is purely cosmetic and psychological. The biggest "problem" is with players who don't take accountability for themselves.

Of course, to the aggravation of many an Iowa fan ... we didn't see a shuffling of the offensive staff. However, instead, we saw some aggressive moves to the portal that COULD potentially reignite confidence on the offensive side of the ball. Obviously, just having McNamara at the helm instead of Petras ... there won't be that same pall spread over the O. Furthermore, with McNamara at the helm ... the new pass catchers will be HIS guys. All already has great chemistry with McNamara. TE play, for Iowa, was one of the few bright spots from last season. Anderson and Brown weren't around to experience the frustration of yet another Petras overthrow. It's easy to keep WRs happy just as long you manage to the distribute the ball to them. Petras failed to do that ... and lost the faith of (most of) his guys as a result.

I believe that Iowa has a winner at RB (Kaleb) ... and a damn fine group of TEs (Lachey, All, Ostrenga, etc). When healthy, Ragaini has demonstrated some consistency. If we can get some other WRs to truly emerge and present themselves as threats to opposing Ds ... then we're looking at an Iowa O that could pose some challenges for opposing Ds.

Go Hawks!

again someone putting all the blame on Petras, why is the QB always gets blamed for everything, then it falls to the OC then the OL Coach when its is ussually a couple of things that went wrong.

last season it was injuries to multiple OL. then the WR's had either injuries or the dropsies' in this case when a WR has a problem holding onto the ball the QB in this case Petras who was playing behind a OL that at times wad a sieve by not providing proper protection, Petras couldn't even trust his receivers to catch the damn ball.

the only ones he could trust were the TE's. its still a team game last I knew. it is not a 1 man team, never has been and it never will be.

again someone putting all the blame on Petras, why is the QB always gets blamed for everything, then it falls to the OC then the OL Coach when its is ussually a couple of things that went wrong.

last season it was injuries to multiple OL. then the WR's had either injuries or the dropsies' in this case when a WR has a problem holding onto the ball the QB in this case Petras who was playing behind a OL that at times wad a sieve by not providing proper protection, Petras couldn't even trust his receivers to catch the damn ball.

the only ones he could trust were the TE's. its still a team game last I knew. it is not a 1 man team, never has been and it never will be.
in which post has anyone put the blame solely on Petras here?

Reactions: cmhawks99

in which post has anyone put the blame solely on Petras here?
I wasn't putting "all the blame" on Petras. However, from all appearances ... do you disagree that some of his "teammates" gave up on him (i.e. gave him a vote of no-confidence)? Certainly, a bunch of our winning is attributable to Petras making good decisions with the football. However, the fact that Petras failed to make visible developmental strides ... even in the face of adversity ... made it harder for the all-important intangible ... hope/faith ... to be present on the offensive side of the ball.

I fully agree that drops by WRs, poor blocking, playing against talented opposing Ds, and the failure of Brian to suitably simplify the O all contributed to the stagnation in the development of Petras.

It's too bad that not everyone had Spencer's back, like Jack Campbell. But, as many fans have pointed out ... guys like Charlie Jones still need to look out for their own future. I'm sure that some of those WRs saw having Petras as their QB as an impediment to their NFL aspirations.

None of this if fair ... the business of football isn't fair. You need look no further than Drew Ott to be reminded of that (dude got completely screwed by the NCAA). Fans seem to have a short memory ... and it's all about what you've done for them now. Usually coaching decisions revolve more around doing things that will win games ... and that doesn't always equate to doing the right thing. That's why I respect Ferentz so much for shouldering much of that external noise ... and going out of his way to give Spencer the fair shake that he got. As we observed after the injuries to Petras ... we weren't going to be any more likely to win games with Alex or Joey in. And, mind you, that's not a knock on those guys either ... it's more a reflection of the state that our O was in. It's hard to play at a high level when at least 2-units are executing at a sub-standard level.

the WR's with their dropsies did very little to help build confidence between them and Petras. when you look at it the only ones that Petras had any real confidence were the TE's.
LaPorta 58 catches for 657 yards
Lachey 28 catches for 398 yards
totals 86 catches for 1055 yards
out of 152 completions and 1725 yards

top WR Ragini 34 catches and 386 yards

that makes 3 targets had 120 catches for 1441 yards out of 152 completions and 1725 yards, to bad the other target kept dropping the ball. who knows what kind of numbers Petras Could have put up. when the top 3 put up those numbers with very little help from the choir.

I wasn't putting "all the blame" on Petras. However, from all appearances ... do you disagree that some of his "teammates" gave up on him (i.e. gave him a vote of no-confidence)? Certainly, a bunch of our winning is attributable to Petras making good decisions with the football. However, the fact that Petras failed to make visible developmental strides ... even in the face of adversity ... made it harder for the all-important intangible ... hope/faith ... to be present on the offensive side of the ball.

I fully agree that drops by WRs, poor blocking, playing against talented opposing Ds, and the failure of Brian to suitably simplify the O all contributed to the stagnation in the development of Petras.

It's too bad that not everyone had Spencer's back, like Jack Campbell. But, as many fans have pointed out ... guys like Charlie Jones still need to look out for their own future. I'm sure that some of those WRs saw having Petras as their QB as an impediment to their NFL aspirations.

None of this if fair ... the business of football isn't fair. You need look no further than Drew Ott to be reminded of that (dude got completely screwed by the NCAA). Fans seem to have a short memory ... and it's all about what you've done for them now. Usually coaching decisions revolve more around doing things that will win games ... and that doesn't always equate to doing the right thing. That's why I respect Ferentz so much for shouldering much of that external noise ... and going out of his way to give Spencer the fair shake that he got. As we observed after the injuries to Petras ... we weren't going to be any more likely to win games with Alex or Joey in. And, mind you, that's not a knock on those guys either ... it's more a reflection of the state that our O was in. It's hard to play at a high level when at least 2-units are executing at a sub-standard level.
Homer I am sure you have some great points in your posts, but I will never know if you can't be more concise.

the WR's with their dropsies did very little to help build confidence between them and Petras. when you look at it the only ones that Petras had any real confidence were the TE's.

that makes 3 targets had 120 catches for 1441 yards out of 152 completions and 1725 yards, to bad the other target kept dropping the ball. who knows what kind of numbers Petras Could have put up. when the top 3 put up those numbers with very little help from the choir.
Perhaps the drops were due to the wide outs being shocked that
A. Petras had enough time to actually throw the ball to them or
B. Petras came off of being locked in on LaPorta as his primary/only target….. see A from above, tough to run progressions from your backside

Perhaps the drops were due to the wide outs being shocked that
A. Petras had enough time to actually throw the ball to them or
B. Petras came off of being locked in on LaPorta as his primary/only target….. see A from above, tough to run progressions from your backside
Yeah, it didn’t help that Petras had accuracy issues as well.

again, the offense from top to bottom was largely broken, every position group, every coach bears some responsibility.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT