ADVERTISEMENT

breaking down the SR class by needs

Homer I am sure you have some great points in your posts, but I will never know if you can't be more concise.
LOL!

I post on these boards for my own entertainment, as much as anything. The posts are mostly a means of venting ideas/thoughts marinating in my head ... and translating them to text. My writing style on these boards is essentially (and mostly) stream-of-consciousness. Were I to edit my thoughts and organize them better ... then yeah, I could definitely make things more succinct. However, that would also take more time/effort. I type pretty fast ... so my long, rambling posts don't take up all that much of my time. (that's why my longer posts are inherently rife with more typos, grammatical errors, etc)

Long story long ... I could be more concise ... but I won't be.

• Haha
Reactions: shoot_the_three
a lot of the routes are based on timing.

to make real simple for the mentally impaired

when the target leaves the line of scrimmage a internal clock starts and the QB goes off that clock and at the time hits zero the QB throws to a certain spot on the field. now anything can disrupt the timing.
the target can get held at the line of scrimmage or get kncked off his pattern or a OL
misses a block. then the whole play is blown up

• Haha
Reactions: shoot_the_three
yep again it is all Petras's fault. never nobody else had anything to do with it.
I think that your post clearly illustrates how people process data based upon their own confirmation bias. You read the post that you quoted ... and you see it as piling on Petras.

I read the very same post ... and I see it placing responsibility at the feet of EVERY position group and every coach! The point being that Petras owns responsibility for his failures too ... just like everyone else. I bet that if you speak with him ... he'll own them too. He strikes me as a conscientious young man that way.

Reactions: sober_teacher
there was a video where it showed the ball going to spot on the field where nobody was the sad part is that posters ignored the fact that the FB was the target and on his way to the spot he was held twice. once at the LOS and then 3 yards later neither Brian nor Petras could have forseen this and planned for this happening.

he stated that Petras had accuarcey issues to start his post. that was why I responded next time why not start it with the position group like the OL or receivers and leave Petras out of it.
You’re seriously going to say Petras didn’t have problems with accuracy? Cuz yeah receivers had issues with drops, routes etc,….sometimes the pass wasnt on-target either!

it’s getting weird how you seem to be trying to absolve Petras of fault.

I've found myself kinda straddling the fence on this topic ... largely because I'm one who tends to err on the side of Chuck's logic ... however, I kinda feel burned from how things transpired last season.

To give a little background/context ... if you remember, even with Linderbaum, our OL play was largely a disappointment in 2021. It was easy for me to shrug that one off ... we had some unexpected personnel turnover, we had a new position coach, we were pretty young at the position, and we dealt with an above-average amount of injury-adversity at the position.

So with my aforementioned "excuses" in hand ... I found myself taking the view entering the '22 season that the OL play could get any worse. Of course, as a whole, it REALLY DID get worse! Of course, to be fair, that judgement of the OL is based on the unit as a totality. In terms of individuals ... I saw individual growth by most of the players. However, Iowa's brand of OL is premised solely upon having some of the guys improve ... an OL is only as good as its weakest link (or links). Furthermore, out of fairness to the OL ... the exited summer/fall camp as a triage unit ... so it's really hard to play strong, tough, aggressive ball when a lot of your guys are less than 100% from the get-go. Furthermore, the closest thing to a real veteran/leader for the unit was Richman ... but the poor guy was just a RS SO. On the OL, veteran leadership can really supply a "steadying hand" for the young guys ... it helps cultivate confidence as a unit and helps accelerate the development of the younger guys. So what happens when the unit lacks such a veteran presence? ... a season like '22 happens, that's what!

A lot of Iowa fans are throwing Barnett under the bus ... and, perhaps, deservedly so. However, even following past precedent, Philbin's impressive OLs didn't happen overnight ... the OLs of the '01 and '02 seasons had to be built from the ground up! I've stated it many times before ... but I clearly remember fans lamenting the loss of Philbin and crucifying Morgan as the OL coach ... which, with the benefit of hindsight ... is just amusing considering that Morgan ended up becoming a fantastic OL coach for us. While fans here might not like to admit it ... but when Brian took over the OL-coaching gig from Reese ... that was one of the very few OL-coaching transitions where we saw little to no drop-off. Of course, the '12 season was a disappointment ... but between the changeover in schemes and the injuries to Scherff and Donnal ... I don't really hold the '12 season against Brian.

Anyhow, will we see some payoff from Kirk's patience with Barnett? Will Barnett be starting to catch his groove and be getting his guys up to the point where they're holding up the Iowa standard on the OL? It took years before the Morgan-coach OLs really started clicking. What will be the timeline for the current units? I know that (some of) the fanatics here have little patience ... but perhaps there are merits to longer-term thinking?

While many Iowa fans like to throw Brian under the bus ... and, as in the case of Barnett, maybe some of it is deserved ... many of those same fans seem to rationalize away how Iowa's Os were pretty darn efficient in '18 and '20. Certainly, Brian needs to demonstrate that he can simplify the schemes more for his "dumb-dumbs" ... but that is part of the reason why Jon is there.

Anyhow, if guys can be healthy on the OL ... are they finally experienced and confident enough to execute consistently at a high level? Can we get a guy to emerge at RT who can truly "hold down the fort?" Logan admitted that he spent a big hunk of last season "not knowing what he was doing" ... and, damn, did it show! However, between an improved understanding of what he's doing, combined with the experience from a year of play and having an experienced guy like Feth competing with him (along with hopefully a healthy Mylinski competing with him) ... might we see positive steps forward at C?

I honestly DO believe that the pieces are in place for the OL to now make some significant strides. I think that the experience gained by young guys like Dunker and Stephens are a key part of that equation. However, I think that seeing the elevation in leadership, demonstrated by upperclassmen like Richman, Parker, Feth, DeJong, and Jones are another part of it too. The development of Colby might prove to a a microcosm of the OL. If we can see Connor regain the aggressiveness and spark that we saw from him as a TR FR ... then there is plenty of reason for hope. Last year we obviously saw some regression with his move out from OG to OT ... however, upon moving back to OG, some of the "bleeding" was quelled. What will we see in '23?

As a parting shot, whether folks here agree with the following claim or not ... I still feel that it is a fair characterization. I truly believe that Petras and Brian got a vote of no-confidence from (some of) our receiving targets over the prior 2 years. With that vote of no confidence ... I believe that it ultimately sunk the confidence of our entire offensive unit. Usually, when that sort of situation transpires ... you see a reshuffling of coaching staffs ... wherein hope springs eternal, and players hold out confidence that the new staff will guide them to improved play. Truth be told ... I think that much of this is purely cosmetic and psychological. The biggest "problem" is with players who don't take accountability for themselves.

Of course, to the aggravation of many an Iowa fan ... we didn't see a shuffling of the offensive staff. However, instead, we saw some aggressive moves to the portal that COULD potentially reignite confidence on the offensive side of the ball. Obviously, just having McNamara at the helm instead of Petras ... there won't be that same pall spread over the O. Furthermore, with McNamara at the helm ... the new pass catchers will be HIS guys. All already has great chemistry with McNamara. TE play, for Iowa, was one of the few bright spots from last season. Anderson and Brown weren't around to experience the frustration of yet another Petras overthrow. It's easy to keep WRs happy just as long you manage to the distribute the ball to them. Petras failed to do that ... and lost the faith of (most of) his guys as a result.

I believe that Iowa has a winner at RB (Kaleb) ... and a damn fine group of TEs (Lachey, All, Ostrenga, etc). When healthy, Ragaini has demonstrated some consistency. If we can get some other WRs to truly emerge and present themselves as threats to opposing Ds ... then we're looking at an Iowa O that could pose some challenges for opposing Ds.

Go Hawks!

Per usual that is a well thought out, well worded, piece, de resistance…

With that said, at this point in time, why are we still having this lengthy debate about offense, Defense & special teams?

And honestly, this isn’t necessarily directed at you homer I quoted your post because I wanted to go back and drill down on it further… Not to comment just to see what you said. I didn’t read it all.

But listen, everybody wants to segment this team, but the guy that constructed the special teams, the Defense and the offense are all the same person!

Yes, we are offensively challenged. We have never had a high octane offense. We are never going to have a high octane offense, and the people responsible for the product on the field. The last couple years really blew it. They absolutely blew, it whether it was personnel, recruiting the personnel, retaining the personnel, using the portal, coaching, injuries, effort by the players (still on the coach), getting the game plan to the field, etc. etc. etc..

But seriously, they have put an insane product on the field, defensively & special teams wise, and they made some major improvements in their portal effort, and ultimately there offensive personnel…

This coach, KF, has proven overtime. He will adapt and change. I don’t know why we are beating the living shit out of this donkey still?!

Last edited:
again someone putting all the blame on Petras, why is the QB always gets blamed for everything, then it falls to the OC then the OL Coach when its is ussually a couple of things that went wrong.

last season it was injuries to multiple OL. then the WR's had either injuries or the dropsies' in this case when a WR has a problem holding onto the ball the QB in this case Petras who was playing behind a OL that at times wad a sieve by not providing proper protection, Petras couldn't even trust his receivers to catch the damn ball.

the only ones he could trust were the TE's. its still a team game last I knew. it is not a 1 man team, never has been and it never will be.

LaPorta stud that he is, still had plenty of drops! I liked Spencer but he is the 2nd poorest Qb, KF has employed in my opinion. He could have been better without a severely leaky OL but he missed plenty of throws and….

I do agree his WRs bailed on him!

I also think KJ and AB left for teams inferior to what ours will be this year, but it is what it is!

LaPorta stud that he is, still had plenty of drops! I liked Spencer but he is the 2nd poorest Qb, KF has employed in my opinion. He could have been better without a severely leaky OL but he missed plenty of throws and….

I do agree his WRs bailed on him!

I also think KJ and AB left for teams inferior to what ours will be this year, but it is what it is!
Prior to LaPorta's SR campaign, one of the biggest knocks that NFL scouts had with him were all the drops. I think I remember reading that one of them (one of the scouts) was quoted as saying that he led the B1G in drops ... or something like that. Anyhow, he showed great improvement in that area, in '22. I think that reduced some of the apprehension that some of the scouts were having ... as evidenced by where he landed in the draft.

Reactions: cmhawks99
Per usual that is a well thought out, well worded, piece, de resistance…

With that said, at this point in time, why are we still having this lengthy debate about offense, Defense & special teams?

And honestly, this isn’t necessarily directed at you homer I quoted your post because I wanted to go back and drill down on it further… Not to comment just to see what you said. I didn’t read it all.

But listen, everybody wants to segment this team, but the guy that constructed the special teams, the Defense and the offense are all the same person!

Yes, we are offensively challenged. We have never had a high octane offense. We are never going to have a high octane offense, and the people responsible for the product on the field. The last couple years really blew it. They absolutely blew, it whether it was personnel, recruiting the personnel, retaining the personnel, using the portal, coaching, injuries, effort by the players (still on the coach), getting the game plan to the field, etc. etc. etc..

But seriously, they have put an insane product on the field, defensively & special teams wise, and they made some major improvements in their portal effort, and ultimately there offensive personnel…

This coach, KF, has proven overtime. He will adapt and change. I don’t know why we are beating the living shit out of this donkey still?!
It usually starts like this

Poster "Everyone is to blame for this offense, even Petras played a miniscule part but others were far more to blame"

KarHerbigan "yep again it is all Petras's fault. never nobody else had anything to do with it." followed with either
"to make real simple for the mentally impaired" - Ironic I know
or calling people names

Then posters like myself pointing out the inaccuracies of the post. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Poster "Everyone is to blame for this offense, even Petras played a miniscule part but others were far more to blame"
I don't think that anybody believes that Petras played a minuscule role ... nobody sane, anyhow. However, along the same tack ... given how bad our O was ... and given what we saw from Alex and Joey ... I don't think folks give Petras enough credit for doing the job he did (when he was served such a big shit-sandwich). Petras still did a good job of getting us into the right plays. It wasn't always his fault that protection would break down or that our RB would go down for a loss because of a missed block.

I don't think that anybody believes that Petras played a minuscule role ... nobody sane, anyhow. However, along the same tack ... given how bad our O was ... and given what we saw from Alex and Joey ... I don't think folks give Petras enough credit for doing the job he did (when he was served such a big shit-sandwich). Petras still did a good job of getting us into the right plays. It wasn't always his fault that protection would break down or that our RB would go down for a loss because of a missed block.
nobody sane

Enough said

its amazing how IA went 6-2 and finished in the top 25
then the next season they went 10-2 won the BT West Championship winning 12 games in a row all with this lousy QB finishing 10-4
last season IA went 8-5 with a bowl win again winning with Petras at QB just stop already with this bull shit about Phil and Woods did it all.

I'm in agreement with this part.
all the do is cherry pick what they want to bitch about,

as for that 21 season they were pissed because IA did not win the BT Championship so again Petras and Brian are the ones that are labeled as failures

the same thing wirh the 2015 team 12-0 won the BT West division then they finish 12-2 recording the 2nd highest offensive total under KF. yet started the BS GDGD and wanted him gone all because IA didn't win the BT Championship and go to the CFB Playoffs,

now 10 wins are not good enough now its BT Championships and going to the CFP every year.

they are putting the Nebraska fans to shame with their delusion.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT