ADVERTISEMENT

Brian F might take the move back to OLine coach with some fancy talking

uihawk82

HR All-American
Nov 17, 2021
Kirk could spin this by saying Brian did such a great job as OLine coach and run game coordinator and the OLine needs his total attention (of course throwing Barnett under the bus). No shame in this and Brian can work with his dad and be around the family etc.

Brian works and learns A Lot from the new OC, more about being an OC.

Maybe Brian takes the leap again to be OC or takes a head job somewhere else in five years.

KF seems very blind to a couple of things:

One is how awful the nepotism looks in the face of other programs dropping under-performing assts on a dime

The other is how ridiculously easy the solution is. He's already missed it once, when he had a chance to demote BF to OL last year, and get a new OC

He has a golden 2nd chance to do it this year, and drop Barnett and move Brian back to the OL. But why would he do it this year, when he had a chance and blew it last year? And now with McNamara coming, he's got an even better excuse to keep BF where he's at

Nope, KF is utterly ignorant of how this all looks, and what he needs to do. I'll be shocked if anything changes

Brian could become Assistant Head Coach and Offensive Line Coach.
Hire a new person (or promote Budmayr) as Offensive Coordinator and Quarterbacks Coach.
Barnett leaves to pursue new opportunities.

It would solve our OC problem and allow the Ferentzs to save face. (Not that saving face seems to be a priority for other schools ... I'm just trying to be realistic.)

Hire a new person (or promote Budmayr) as Offensive Coordinator and Quarterbacks Coach.

It would solve our OC problem and allow the Ferentzs to save face. (Not that saving face seems to be a priority for other schools ... I'm just trying to be realistic.)
Why the hell would we want him to be assistant head coach? I don't even want him for o-line. Barnett should have been fired before he started.

Why the hell would we want him to be assistant head coach? I don't even want him for o-line. Barnett should have been fired before he started.
I'm not saying it's the right thing to do. (There's a good line about "falling up" that could be used here.) I'm just saying it could be a change that the head coach would actually consider.

Also, I don't think Brian is an idiot. He's just not a good fit for this Iowa team as OC.

It is not "ridiculously easy" to demote any coach, let alone his son.

With the McNamara news, prepare yourself for Brian to remain OC. They didn't land a big QB transfer in order to demote the OC .
Critical Thinking Skills: Lacking

With the McNamara news, prepare yourself for Brian to remain OC. They didn't land a big QB transfer in order to demote the OC .
This is why WR are leaving now. Brace yourself Hawks, it’s never going to be a Brian issue. Think about this, there is a big ticket Qb1 coming and yet they left.

Reactions: DocRambo

Your phrase "...let alone his son" pretty well sums up the nepotism issue right there. It's admitting BF is getting preferential treatment

The solution is easy and straighforward, I never said that personally it's easy to fire or demote someone. But "that's the game" when you're an asst college FB coach. Their careers have notoriously short lifespans at any single school. And anywhere else, BF would be looking for a new job given his lack of results

A demotion is not easy for anyone. Brian does have pride. However, I do not know his job prospects outside the program while the lawsuit is still active. Look what happened in Jacksonville when Chris Doyle was brought in as a coach. He may be moved to a co-OC with line responsibilities. He also might take a year off to get the lawsuit behind him.

Kirk probably did him a disservice career-wise by moving him to the OC position at such a young age. The inconsistency of offensive production has been a constant in his tenure. The team had moments during the Stanley era, but they could still follow a game like Ohio State in 2017 with a game where they could not gain a 100 yards. The talent was much better those years as well.

I never thought his schemes were bad, but the execution was often time horrendous. One negative play and the drive was almost always over. Petris often did not stand a chance. When the team was behind the sticks they became very predictable. How many of us had the ability to call the play on a third and long? Screen pass or draw?

I expect coaching and responsibility changes. I do not think Brian Ferentz will be leaving Iowa City in 2023. Will he be coaching? That is an unknown. Heck, I do not put it past Kirk to invent a job for him. Something like the president of football operations. I would be very surprised if he was in charge of the offense or calling plays.

A demotion is not easy for anyone. Brian does have pride. However, I do not know his job prospects outside the program while the lawsuit is still active. Look what happened in Jacksonville when Chris Doyle was brought in as a coach. He may be moved to a co-OC with line responsibilities. He also might take a year off to get the lawsuit behind him.

Kirk probably did him a disservice career-wise by moving him to the OC position at such a young age. The inconsistency of offensive production has been a constant in his tenure. The team had moments during the Stanley era, but they could still follow a game like Ohio State in 2017 with a game where they could not gain a 100 yards. The talent was much better those years as well.

I never thought his schemes were bad, but the execution was often time horrendous. One negative play and the drive was almost always over. Petris often did not stand a chance. When the team was behind the sticks they became very predictable. How many of us had the ability to call the play on a third and long? Screen pass or draw?

I expect coaching and responsibility changes. I do not think Brian Ferentz will be leaving Iowa City in 2023. Will he be coaching? That is an unknown. Heck, I do not put it past Kirk to invent a job for him. Something like the president of football operations. I would be very surprised if he was in charge of the offense or calling plays.
Maybe Dad has a Subway franchise to manage?

I mean moving to OL from OC is better than nothing but I personally think he needs to move on from the program as a whole and get a job somewhere else. With everything last few years, fair or not like the lawsuit, he's become too toxic for the Iowa brand. Be it on the field as a bad OC or off the field with his issues and horrendous offense and nepotism with him being used against Iowa in recruiting and the portal. Now we just had our 6th WR leave the program in a little over a year.

Also nothing comes to mind but I can't think of a case where a OC/DC stayed with the team and got demoted to a position coach the following season in college or pros. Sure it's happened but think it's very rare. Even if KF does it still shows how much favoritism and nepotism he has where we all know damn well he would not do this with any other coach.

1) Agree, it would be easy to argue that Brian is killing his own career, but being demoted by your father is the final nail in the coffin. Kirk isn't going to do that.

2) McNamara is coming for Jon Budmayr, and it's a signal that Jon will be QB coach, at a minimum. Jon as co-OC is optimistic, but plausible.

1) Agree, it would be easy to argue that Brian is killing his own career, but being demoted by your father is the final nail in the coffin. Kirk isn't going to do that.

2) McNamara is coming for Jon Budmayr, and it's a signal that Jon will be QB coach, at a minimum. Jon as co-OC is optimistic, but plausible.

1. Repeating this year would kill his career even more.

2. You can’t be serious. 😂

Co-offensive coordinator is the way. BF coaches the OL and is run game coordinator. Brian was a good OL coach.

Jon Budmayr coaches the QBs and is a passing game coordinator. JB calls the plays.

KF called Jon a gift from heaven earlier this year, so there has to be something there. KF doesn’t just say things like that. I don’t think JB is going anywhere.

Well look at this spin, since we are spinning. BF becomes assistant head coach. JB becomes OC . That BF loses no pay and it will help him when daddy retires

Budmayr has been an on-field coach for four seasons. One year as a G5 OC, and he was promptly fired.

He was in such high demand early this year that he accepted an unpaid job at UIowa, eventually upgrading to analyst.

And now you think this background means Kirk is going to move him to OC, jumping past all the other coaches that have been contributing to the program for years?

It is like you haven't paid ANY attention to how Kirk runs his program.

Kirk is going to move him to OC, jumping past all the other coaches that have been contributing to the program for years?

KF has hired on coaches over coaches already on staff on numerous occasions. Hell, he coaxed GDGD out of retirement rather than promote from within.

Budmayr has been an on-field coach for four seasons. One year as a G5 OC, and he was promptly fired.

He was in such high demand early this year that he accepted an unpaid job at UIowa, eventually upgrading to analyst.

And now you think this background means Kirk is going to move him to OC, jumping past all the other coaches that have been contributing to the program for years?

When has a coach not being in high demand ever stopped Kirk from hiring them to a position they probably weren't qualified for?

No but I wouldn’t be surprised if it is a co-offensive coordinator position this year with Budmayr taking over quarterback and passing responsibilities. While Brian takes over O line and run game.

Greg Davis had 17 seasons as a P5 OC, including a national title, before Kirk hired him. This case is not remotely similar.

Anyways, good luck on hoping for a new OC.

My reshuffle prediction:

Brian: stays OC but gets OL instead of QBs as his position group.

Budmayr: becomes QB coach and is named passing game coordinator (Budmayr calls all plays next year as defacto OC).

Barnett: re-assiged to Tight Ends and recruiting coordinator

Copeland: leaves to "explore new opportunities" (punishment for comments to media).

To Be Determined: named new WR coach.

Seth Wallace: leaves, gets a DC gig somewhere.

Abdul Hodge: moves to linebackers coach.

Kelvin Bell: named co-DC and stays DL coach, gives up recruiting coordinator.

Demoting BF makes the nepotism look that much worse. There are very few situations when coaches completely fail when promoted and get to go backwards to their old positions. The teams simply move on. There is no way this would even be considered if it wasn't for nepotism and the father/son relationship.

Haha, yeah as long as Brian knows he is Asst Head Coach only in name and never going to get it.

Reactions: Lumas Etima

wasnt JBudmayr fired as fallout from the head coach getting fired, which routinely happens.

So not the same thing as being fired as the OC because he was bad, maybe he wasnt

Demoting BF makes the nepotism look that much worse. There are very few situations when coaches completely fail when promoted and get to go backwards to their old positions. The teams simply move on. There is no way this would even be considered if it wasn't for nepotism and the father/son relationship.
Brian will be a position coach in the league next year. That’s the cleanest way to move on from this.

KF seems very blind to a couple of things:

One is how awful the nepotism looks in the face of other programs dropping under-performing assts on a dime

The other is how ridiculously easy the solution is. He's already missed it once, when he had a chance to demote BF to OL last year, and get a new OC

He has a golden 2nd chance to do it this year, and drop Barnett and move Brian back to the OL. But why would he do it this year, when he had a chance and blew it last year? And now with McNamara coming, he's got an even better excuse to keep BF where he's at

Nope, KF is utterly ignorant of how this all looks, and what he needs to do. I'll be shocked if anything changes
What would you do if it was your son. Easy to say from afar..
Brian is a good line coach,,,,proven,,put him back there.

Kirk demoting Brian would be validating negative opinions of his son. Remember how hurt and spiteful Kirk got when some reporter brought up nepotism this year? Our only hope is that the athletes replacing our current offense can power through the bad calls.

wasnt JBudmayr fired as fallout from the head coach getting fired, which routinely happens.

So not the same thing as being fired as the OC because he was bad, maybe he wasnt
Correct. Steve Addazio (Colorado State) brought Budmayr in as OC, Budmayr brought in Cade McNamara's younger brother Jake, also a QB.
Addazio and staff were terminated after one year, McNamara (Jake) transfers to UTEP and joins the third McNamara brother, Kyle (WR).

Reactions: StallmanCurse
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT