ADVERTISEMENT

bUt FrAn GoT tO 1o WiNs AgAiN

Honestly I'm not even mad. I'm just be happy I don't have to watch a Krikke and PMac ever again. We have some good young talent, but Fran's teams feel like they are just more of the same. Not athletic enough to play defense, and a couple players on the team you know have no business playing in a power 5 conference. Every year I come out out of the season thinking I'll never see a men's sweet 16 in my lifetime, this year it's just coming a bit earlier

Honestly I'm not even mad. I'm just be happy I don't have to watch a Krikke and PMac ever again. We have some good young talent, but Fran's teams feel like they are just more of the same. Not athletic enough to play defense, and a couple players on the team you know have no business playing in a power 5 conference. Every year I come out out of the season thinking I'll never see a men's sweet 16 in my lifetime, this year it's just coming a bit earlier
It’s not a lack of athleticism. At least that’s not the driving factor. Fran doesn’t give a shit about defense and never has. Doesn’t care to make it a point to coach it and preach it. Im sure he touches on it in practice here and there but i don’t get the feeling he’s drilling it into the guys lol Couple that with playing guys out of position constantly and its usually a freaking disaster.

It’s not a lack of athleticism. At least that’s not the driving factor. Fran doesn’t give a shit about defense and never has. Doesn’t care to make it a point to coach it and preach it. Im sure he touches on it in practice here and there but i don’t get the feeling he’s drilling it into the guys lol Couple that with playing guys out of position constantly and its usually a freaking di
Maybe you're right. We still consistently have someone on our roster that gets too many minutes and is an utter mismatch on one side of the floor. I'm thinking McCabe, Kriener, Krikke, etc. I know I'm missing some guys in there

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
It’s not a lack of athleticism. At least that’s not the driving factor. Fran doesn’t give a shit about defense and never has. Doesn’t care to make it a point to coach it and preach it. Im sure he touches on it in practice here and there but i don’t get the feeling he’s drilling it into the guys lol Couple that with playing guys out of position constantly and its usually a freaking disaster.
Went to HS with a former player and worked with his brother. Can confirm he said he drilled defense more in HS than under Fran

Maybe you're right. We still consistently have someone on our roster that gets too many minutes and is an utter mismatch on one side of the floor. I'm thinking McCabe, Kriener, Krikke, etc. I know I'm missing some guys in there
Hey now don’t throw mccabe and kriener in there. Kriener was a helluva backup 5 and solid defender and mccabe for being 6’7 could bang down low pretty well, we could use some guys with his F you attitude!
The best example of fran taking offense over defense was jbo over joeT. Mainly because joeT was 1 of the best and most disruptive defenders Frans had, yet limited his minutes because of offensive play.

Many, many more…🙁

Disagree. The players and athleticism is the driving factor, which is also on Fran to recruit the right types of players. Iowa had solid defenses back when we actually had athletes at guard (Gesell/Clemmons/Marble) and rim protectors (Woodbury/Olaseni). Also May and Basabe were athletes.

They finished top 25 in defensive efficiency with those players, and were solid for the entirety of the Gesell/Woodbury era. Much different than watching Krikke chasing around three points shooters. Fran's overall philosophy and coaching obviously plays a large role as well, but can't play great defense without at least a base level of athleticism and rim protection. Something Fran's teams have often lacked.

Last edited:
This season we won 10 conference games but we also lost
10 Big Ten games. A .500 record is simply average.

Tonight against Ohio State we allowed them to make 11 out
of 20 three pointer attempts. Many of those were open shots.
You cannot give up 90 points and expect to win. We need to
play a tough defense and we need a coach who believe in defense.

Disagree. The players and athleticism is the driving factor, which is also on Fran to recruit the right types of players. Iowa had solid defenses back when we actually had athletes at guard (Gesell/Clemmons/Marble) and rim protectors (Woodbury/Olaseni). Also May and Basabe were athletes.

They finished top 25 in defensive efficiency with those players, and were solid for the entirety of the Gesell/Woodbury era. Much different than watching Krikke chasing around three points shooters. Fran's overall philosophy and coaching obviously plays a large role as well, but can't play great defense without at least a base level of athleticism and rim protection. Something Fran's teams have often lacked.
Quite a few Wisconsin teams didn’t get that memo.
I agree athleticism or lack-thereof makes it harder individually to defend, but there’s a pretty big team aspect to D and Fran doesn’t seem to care to instill those aspects whatsoever

Reactions: RocknRollface
I agree athleticism or lack-thereof makes it harder individually to defend, but there’s a pretty big team aspect to D and Fran doesn’t seem to care to instill those aspects whatsoever
Iowa loses multiple individual matchups on D every game due to lack of athleticism at their positions. Then they double down on that by playing terrible team D.

Reactions: LaQuintaHawkeye
Iowa loses multiple individual matchups on D every game due to lack of athleticism at their positions. Then they double down on that by playing terrible team D.
At this point just go full grinnell. Make the other team score 130 to win.

Again how did Wisconsin do so well defensively with their lack of athleticism? Athleticism helps but players actually giving a shit and the coach demanding effort on that end is as much a part. Tell me the last time fran pulled anyone for a defensive mistake or lack of effort on that side of the floor?
I guess my big thing is, we can go back and forth on athleticism but with fran as coach defense is far from a concern and we’ll never truly see a team’s defensive capabilities under him. I just choose to reserve my disdain for fran instead of the players who obviously aren’t being put in a position to succeed on that end of the floor.
Who knows, this years team with a good defensive coach might have actually been decent…(as long as pmac/krikke didn’t see the floor, they’re beyond help) 😂

Reactions: Bulldogs1974
Went to HS with a former player and worked with his brother. Can confirm he said he drilled defense more in HS than under Fran
Well yeah, you don't get to be as bad at defense as Iowa is by working on it.

Frans got inbounds plays to perfect.

They aren’t the most athletic, but they could do a much better job. They don’t defend the correct way. Standing straight up and not consistently in a stance, arms at their sides, don’t see the ball, dont close out under control, don’t close out and get back in. These are basic defensive fundamentals that should be harped on daily in practice and film sessions. Iowa plays defense like they’re in a pick up game over the noon hour

Hey now don’t throw mccabe and kriener in there. Kriener was a helluva backup 5 and solid defender and mccabe for being 6’7 could bang down low pretty well, we could use some guys with his F you attitude!
The best example of fran taking offense over defense was jbo over joeT. Mainly because joeT was 1 of the best and most disruptive defenders Frans had, yet limited his minutes because of offensive play.
McCabe will be one of my favorite players forever for hip tossing that punk at Sparty. Gold!

Reactions: Slim45

Dix and Perkins are more athletic than Gessel and Clemons.

The primary reason those particular teams were good defensively was the effectiveness of Adam Woodbury in screen defense. Adam Woodbury was not particularly athletic but he did move his feet well.

But what made him good was that he understood defense conceptually. He was always where he needed to be before the offensive screen, during and after.

Frans teams don't understand defense conceptually because they don't work on it. They play defense like a pickup game.

Its painfully obvious that they don't grasp the basic concepts.

My seat and my wife’s will be available next year for any of those who believes we are soon destined for greatness. After 25 years, I am through with this madness. I might buy softball or baseball tickets.
yeah lets put the students that will bring in the donations for seat priority.

Exactly, there's a reason Iowa is always good at offense and always bad at defense.

The reason is the same, Fran.

They aren’t the most athletic, but they could do a much better job. They don’t defend the correct way. Standing straight up and not consistently in a stance, arms at their sides, don’t see the ball, dont close out under control, don’t close out and get back in. These are basic defensive fundamentals that should be harped on daily in practice and film sessions. Iowa plays defense like they’re in a pick up game over the noon hour
It's exactly like that.

It's like watching a group of guys that don't even know eachother and have no cohesion at all.

Yet will under perform in the tourney like always
This line is stupid enough when hacks on ESPN repeat it … it’s twice as dumb with our own conference’s fans parrot it back. Underperform?? Compared to what expectations?! You can’t shit on the league all year and then say March Madness proves it’s overrated. That’s having your cake and eating it, too. Also, why is it always struggling teams’ fans who are most eager to talk about how bad the league is? It’s like a weird version of losing a game and saying, “Well the game is dumb and I wasn’t even trying anyway!”

What people don't understand....it doesn't have to be an either / or on playing defense and offense.

Fran quit a couple years ago. He doesn't give a shite anymore.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Balloon Burst My Bubble GIF by Oi

Dix and Perkins are more athletic than Gessel and Clemons.

The primary reason those particular teams were good defensively was the effectiveness of Adam Woodbury in screen defense. Adam Woodbury was not particularly athletic but he did move his feet well.

But what made him good was that he understood defense conceptually. He was always where he needed to be before the offensive screen, during and after.

Frans teams don't understand defense conceptually because they don't work on it. They play defense like a pickup game.

Its painfully obvious that they don't grasp the basic concepts.
I said athletes and rim protectors. Woodbury wasn't a great athlete but he could protect the rim. Also disagree on Dix being more athletic than Gesell or Clemmons. Agree with all other points otherwise.

Reactions: Bierhalter
Wisconsin has better athletes than Iowa every year.

I got iowa as 10-11 which is a losing record in big10 play which is a losing record. gotta include frans bttb record which is awful except for keegan and kris year

Reactions: ClarindaA's

Kreiner was fairly athletic, more so than he got credit for.

I actually am convinced we are always at a disadvantage athletically (your iriginal premise). We also could use defensive coaching. One cannot have watched both the IL and tOSU games and honestly say we were evenly matched athletically.

I think he covers it in the scouting report but i am not sure they practice defense drills

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT