ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Cade update with KF quotes

Questionable? From my memory, in Kirk injury reporting parlance, that means "Out".

With the obligatory footnote - I hope I'm wrong.

Addendum - My sense is that this is more serious than they're letting on. "Progressing", two weeks following the injury? Not the word I would like to hear at this point.

Is this the corollary to the line, Day to day, but aren't we all? Progressing, but aren't we all? At least he's being honest.

Last edited:
Shit, I'll be so pissed if Cade isn't playing. This will be my one time to see him play in person. And if he doesn't, it's going to be a miserable day for our offense.
Maybe not. If the line has progressed at all you'd think we could run the ball on Utah State. If so we'll control the game and play action.

I’m sure they are going to error on the side of playing it safe with Cade for week #1. It is Utah State and no harm in getting QB2 some serious reps anyway. Week 2 is a different story.
THIS^^^With Cade a solid #1, I’m very ok with getting #2 reps!!! KF rarely gives out reps during the season so this is a good thing.

Reactions: JerseyCityHawki
I’m all for making sure Cade is 100% before hitting the field in week one….but…sitting in 92 degree Kinnick for a 20-3 win will be dicey. Hoping we can maul them for a 41-0 win without Cade if he’s not ready. One thing for sure I am already tired of the cryptic injury stuff. Cade says he will be 100% week one and Kirk???

I’m all for making sure Cade is 100% before hitting the field in week one….but…sitting in 92 degree Kinnick for a 20-3 win will be dicey. Hoping we can maul them for a 41-0 win without Cade if he’s not ready. One thing for sure I am already tired of the cryptic injury stuff. Cade says he will be 100% week one and Kirk???
I think the o line and the running game will steam roll them. once they sell out to the run the passing game will be easy. Should be a blow out with Hill.

Reactions: Packer54
after we gash them with the run, Deacon Hill Will look like Dan Marino. I’m pretty sure I could get off my lazy boy after a six pack and throw for 250-300 against Utah State.
Brian better run up the score! Maybe we see starters a bit longer due to his contract.

Reactions: ssckelley
Stressed Season 2 GIF by Blunt Talk

Nope, but it'll still be a bad day for the offense.
And again, who cares?

They don't put offensive stats in the win or loss column.

I get that you want to see Cade play on the day that you invest the money and time to attend in person. But is this still not a team sport? Is a win for the team still not the most important thing? A win for the Hawks should overall leave you feeling satisfied.

For you to say that you'll be pissed if Cade doesn't play and the offense struggles suggests that a team win isn't what's most important for you. To that, I suggest that you are wrong to feel that way. Or maybe a better way to put it is you are a selfish fan, if there is such a thing.
Because all the jackasses that tirelessly complain about offense aren't really fans to me.

IOWA IS A SUCCESSFUL PROGRAM. Other than a handful of "Blueblood" programs, Iowa is as good as it gets over the last 2+ decades. What more do you want?

Every fanbase wants their team to occasionally be able to break through and capture some hardware. But to expect Iowa to join the Blue bloods just isn't realistic.

So again, over time Iowa is having as much success as anyone could possibly hope for. I don't want to hear mediocrity. Check the numbers; Iowa is as good or better than all the other non-bluebloods. Far better than mediocrity.

So what's the discontent from fans all about? Basically, it comes down to what is valued. And basically, in this case, the selfish fan values offense over wins.

IOWA HAS A PROVEN FORMULA. Believe it or not, the coaches came up with a formula that best fits the resources they have to work with in the state of Iowa. Like any successful formula, it's consciously built around inherent advantages and disadvantages that exist at Iowa. The formula has almost always materialized into excellent defense and special teams. Some years the offense is better than others, which is to be expected. There is no "just add water(offense)" recipe.

It's ok for fans to want more. It's ok to have complaints. But when you look at the fact that Iowa football has consistently been successful over a long period of time, the aggregate and tireless discontent of the the Iowa fanbase is completely inappropriate. It doesn't fit the situational fact that Iowa is a successful program.

And given that lack of offense has been the main root of the fans' discontent, it basically comes down to style over substance.

Not everyone prefers high scoring games stylistically. So all this never-ending negativity from the fans is the same as them being pissed because their favorite color is green, while the coaching staffs' favorite color is brown. Actually, it's even worse. These selfish fans value the color green over wins.

Enjoy the kickass football program that is the Iowa Hawkeyes. Being a multiplyer of negativity, if anything, can only hurt your team. For example, the weeks of negativity last season caught up to Iowa around the Illinois game. The kids started to press. I remember Gavin Williams being wide open on a swing pass to the left. Open field to run for days and turn a pivotal play. But the ball was dropped. Yes, I'm saying if not for weeks of unnecessary negativity felt state-wide last season, Iowa probably wins that Illinois game.

The fact that fans' negativity can hurt the performance of the team might be a little far reached for some. But certainly they can understand that the negativity can't do any good. Why participate in something that can't bring good? Grow up and realize that the sun always comes up tomorrow. Enjoy the abundance of good that Hawkeye football has to offer. Be a conscious fanbase and please don't put us all through another season of toxicity

Last edited:
And again, who cares?

I get that you want to see Cade play on the day that you invest the money and time to attend in person. But is this still not a team sport? Is a win for the team still not the most important thing? A win for the Hawks should overall leave you feeling satisfied.

For you to say that you'll be pissed if Cade doesn't play and the offense struggles suggests that a team win isn't what's most important for you. To that, I suggest that you are wrong to feel that way. Or maybe a better way to put it is you are a selfish fan, if there is such a thing.
Because all the jackasses that tirelessly complain about offense aren't really fans to me.

IOWA IS A SUCCESSFUL PROGRAM. Other than a handful of "Blueblood" programs, Iowa is as good as it gets over the last 2+ decades. What more do you want?

Every fanbase wants their team to occasionally be able to break through and capture some hardware. But to expect Iowa to join the Blue bloods just isn't realistic.

So again, over time Iowa is having as much success as anyone could possibly hope for. I don't want to hear mediocrity. Check the numbers; Iowa is as good or better than all the other non-bluebloods. Far better than mediocrity.

So what's the discontent from fans all about? Basically, it comes down to what is valued. And basically, in this case, the selfish fan values offense over wins.

IOWA HAS A PROVEN FORMULA. Believe it or not, the coaches came up with a formula that best fits the resources they have to work with in the state of Iowa. Like any successful formula, it's consciously built around inherent advantages and disadvantages that exist at Iowa. The formula has almost always materialized into excellent defense and special teams. Some years the offense is better than others, which is to be expected. There is no "just add water(offense)" recipe.

It's ok for fans to want more. It's ok to have complaints. But when you look at the fact that Iowa football has consistently been successful over a long period of time, the aggregate and tireless discontent of the the Iowa fanbase is completely inappropriate. It doesn't fit the situational fact that Iowa is a successful program.

And given that lack of offense has been the main root of the fans' discontent, it basically comes down to style over substance.

Not everyone prefers high scoring games stylistically. So all this never-ending negativity from the fans is the same as them being pissed because their favorite color is green, while the coaching staffs' favorite color is brown. Actually, it's even worse. These selfish fans value the color green over wins.

Enjoy the kickass football program that is the Iowa Hawkeyes. Being a multiplyer of negativity, if anything, can only hurt your team. For example, the weeks of negativity last season caught up to Iowa around the Illinois game. The kids started to press. I remember Gavin Williams being wide open on a swing pass to the left. Open field to run for days and turn a pivotal play. But the ball was dropped. Yes, I'm saying if not for weeks of unnecessary negativity felt state-wide last season, Iowa probably wins that Illinois game.

The fact that fans' negativity can hurt the performance of the team might be a little far reached for some. But certainly they can understand that the negativity can't do any good. Why participate in something that can't bring good? Grow up and realize that the sun always comes up tomorrow. Enjoy the abundance of good that Hawkeye football has to offer. Be a conscious fanbase and please don't put us all through another season of toxicity
Illinois 9 - Iowa 6
Iowa State 10 - Iowa 7
Nebraska 24 - Iowa 17.
All that needs to be said in response to whatever that take was! Blaming the fans for losing to Illinois last year is all time comment for me as well!

Illinois 9 - Iowa 6
Iowa State 10 - Iowa 7
Nebraska 24 - Iowa 17.
All that needs to be said in response to whatever that take was! Blaming the fans for losing to Illinois last year is all time comment for me as well!
I'd say a lengthy post that expands on many points says a whole lot more than whatever three scores are supposed to say.

And I didn't blame the fans for the Illinois loss. Just said Iowa probably wouldn't have lost that game without the weeks of negativity that lead up to it. Of course there were other factors that lead to the loss. But there were a few plays at key moments where it appeared the Hawks were unnecessarily pressing.

Who knows, maybe it was internal pressure getting to them. But the point remains that all the negativity, if anything, can only hurt the Hawks. Be positive and conscious about not piling on to the negativity and see what happens

And given that lack of offense has been the main root of the fans' discontent, it basically comes down to style over substance
Nope. It comes down to effectiveness vs. ineffectiveness.

Performance can be objectively measured.

Something that can be measured is, in fact, substantive.

Iowa’s offensive performance is and has been measurably and objectively bad. Last year it was very bad, by far the worst in the B10.

It’s not style. It is ineptitude.

And again, who cares?

Long post

I'd say a lengthy post that expands on many points says a whole lot more than whatever three scores are supposed to say.

And I didn't blame the fans for the Illinois loss. Just said Iowa probably wouldn't have lost that game without the weeks of negativity that lead up to it. Of course there were other factors that lead to the loss. But there were a few plays at key moments where it appeared the Hawks were unnecessarily pressing.

Who knows, maybe it was internal pressure getting to them. But the point remains that all the negativity, if anything, can only hurt the Hawks. Be positive and conscious about not piling on to the negativity and see what happens
Iowa fans and media are not toxic. About as far from it as possible. Heck our offense got more flack from one Saturday in Columbus last October from OSU fans and media than anything iowa people have done!

Last edited:

I'd say the scores are the only thing that go down in the record books, not a long winded explanation how someone on the internet felt perceived fan pressure caused a team to underperform. Be careful being too positive, the team may think they are all that and rest on their fan driven superiority instead of trying to better themselves.

I'd say the scores are the only thing that go down in the record books, not a long winded explanation how someone on the internet felt perceived fan pressure caused a team to underperform. Be careful being too positive, the team may think they are all that and rest on their fan driven superiority instead of trying to better themselves.
I had no idea that the perception of fans was such a pivotal component of how a team performs. I learn something new every day on here.

Wait.... Isn't that Nebraska? LOL

Nope, don’t like that…not at all…Deacon Hill and Joey Labas….come on down!

Bummer because I was pretty excited to see Cade play….but feels very KJ’esque
I heard Labas might be in worse shape than McNamara so.....

I think they rest Cade week 1. Just don't want a slip up against ISU with it being his first start as a Hawk.
Will be interesting Monday/Tuesday next week to see if Cade's available. I'd be inclined to think a home start and PT ahead of a rivalry road game would be best if he's even near 100%, although you don't want a reinjury and playing this game with this quad week to week.

Reactions: LetsGoHawks83
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT