ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Cade update with KF quotes

I don't know why some posters have the need to tell other posters how they should be reacting to news and results. If people want to be unhappy (and even negative) then they can feel that way, just like others can always be happy and positive.

US has nothing to lose, stack the line, blitz pkgs, force Iowa to throw, if Hill is in and pressured, he ain't exactly quick
Seems like the ideal time to try the qb sneak drive. 18 play opening drive of nothing but sneaks. Change up the formations a bit just to keep them thinking there's no way they try it again. Hill being pushed by Large, I don't think it would be stopped.

I don't know why some posters have the need to tell other posters how they should be reacting to news and results. If people want to be unhappy (and even negative) then they can feel that way, just like others can always be happy and positive.
Because they know better than you silly! How would you know how to feel and react without their sage advice?

Reactions: SB_SB
I'd say a lengthy post that expands on many points says a whole lot more than whatever three scores are supposed to say.

And I didn't blame the fans for the Illinois loss. Just said Iowa probably wouldn't have lost that game without the weeks of negativity that lead up to it. Of course there were other factors that lead to the loss. But there were a few plays at key moments where it appeared the Hawks were unnecessarily pressing.

Who knows, maybe it was internal pressure getting to them. But the point remains that all the negativity, if anything, can only hurt the Hawks. Be positive and conscious about not piling on to the negativity and see what happens
Dude, the offense cost them, not the fans

Reactions: Iron Doc
Reading comprehension on this board could use some work.

My main point is that fans should overall be satisfied with Iowa football. The level of negativity from the fanbase is disproportionate to the level of success the program has produced.

I work in a public setting where sports is always part of the conversation. It gives a good pulse on the level of satisfaction within the Iowa fanbase. Last season, other than my own interjections, I literally heard NOT ONE positive
word about Iowa football in 3 WEEKS. That, my friends, is ridiculous.

Again, there's a lot to love about Iowa football. If 20+ years of success isn't enough for you, the team sported one of the best defenses in the history of college football last year, for God's sake. And again, if a fan is overall dissatisfied, winning must not be the most important thing for him.

Winning is what's most important to the players and coaches. They care none about how many points were scored. That's how the team experiences it, so that's what the fans should be supporting.

Sure, the loses to ISU, Illinois, and Nebraska can be brought up. But the 8 wins can also be brought up. 20+ years of success can also be brought up. As good as Iowa's formula is, they're Iowa, they're going to have a rough year every now and then. Having what felt like 80% of the state wanting to blow up the program the moment it hit a little rough patch, again, was ridiculous. The fact when the rough patch hit, and Iowa had one of the worst offenses of all time, and managed to win 8 games, just made me prouder of everything that Iowa does exceptionally well.

My second point was why be negative? Again, a negative fanbase may or may not hurt the performance of the team. Most of the time it doesn't. It's my opinion that in the Illinois game it did. But again, the point is that a negative fanbase can never help the team. So why participate in it?

Iowa football fans should overall be satisfied. Actually, the fanbase should be supportive no matter the success level of the team. For example, the negativity in the Lickliter years was completely wrong. Support your Hawkeyes or shut your mouth. What good can a toxic environment possibly do for anyone? The Lickliter negativity was so contagious that it still hurts the men's basketball program to this day. The game environment and attendance is nothing like it used to be. Meanwhile you can't find a seat at women's basketball or wrestling. It has detracted from Iowa's home court advantage and from the brand they are able to sell to recruits.

Just enjoy your Hawks folks
We are more than satisfied with the defense and special teams….. no one, not even you can honestly say they are satisfied with the offense.

Many Many Many Many people care, you moron.

Brian got a 25 per game requirement b/c the (former) AD cared.

Higher-ups care. Coaches care. Players care. Media members care. Hundreds of thousands of folks in the fan base care.
Of course people care that the offense has struggled. But my point was that it's not worth caring about enough to be dissatisfied with a win or dissatisfied with the program overall.

The 25 point contract stipulation was completely ill conceived and stupid. It's another "negative free roll" that can only hurt the team. Iowa already has a proven formula. Hope to God that everyone remains committed to that formula and doesn't for one moment think about averaging 25 points.

Iowa must be who they are. They try to be something else and they are likely in trouble. Everyone in the building must be all-in for the formula. As sound a formula as it is, Iowa still has very little margin for error. Many will say scoring more points will give more margin for error. But not if other parts of the formula become compromised. Trust me, Iowa can't afford to forget who they are. Part of 20+ years of consistent success has been a very clear plan and understanding of exactly what needs to be done. The contract stipulation was nothing but an overreaction to a bunch of people that don't know shit about football overreacting and getting their panties in a bunch.

Higher-ups are nothing but fans with a position. They never have and never will mean a damn thing to Kirk.

Yes coaches and players care about better offensive performance overall. But when it comes to a single game, which is the scenario I was responding to, winning is always trump. I can promise you that on game day nobody in that building cares one bit about the final score of a win.

Media members.......lol.

Many of the hundreds of thousands of fans that care about offense have taken it too far. If it creates an overall dissatisfaction in the fan or a toxic fanbase, then it has gone too far and becomes criticism at an inappropriate level

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: vonviener and F5n5
The 25 point contract stipulation was completely ill conceived and stupid. It's another "negative free roll" that can only hurt the team. Iowa already has a proven formula. Hope to God that everyone remains committed to that formula and doesn't for one moment think about averaging 25 points.

Iowa must be who they are. They try to be something else and they are likely in trouble. Everyone in the building must be all-in for the formula. As sound a formula as it is, Iowa still has very little margin for error. Many will say scoring more points will give more margin for error. But not if other parts of the formula become compromised. Trust me, Iowa can't afford to forget who they are. Part of 20+ years of consistent success has been a very clear plan and understanding of exactly what needs to be done. The contract stipulation was nothing but an overreaction to a bunch of people that don't know shit about football overreacting and getting their panties in a bunch.

Higher-ups are nothing but fans with a position. They never have and never will mean a damn thing to Kirk.

Yes coaches and players care about better offensive performance overall. But when it comes to a single game, which is the scenario I was responding to, winning is always trump. I can promise you that on game day nobody in that building cares one bit about the final score of a win.

Media members.......lol.

Many of the hundreds of thousands of fans that care about offense have taken it too far. If it creates an overall dissatisfaction in the fan or a toxic fanbase, then it has gone too far and becomes criticism at an inappropriate level
And the “proven formula” you seem to be so fond of causes Iowa to lose some games they have NO BUSINESS losing.

ISU beats us with a whopping 10 pts. Illinois only put 9 up and walked away with a victory.

The “formula” needs serious adjustment and improvement.

I commend the staff for bringing in a couple offensive pieces in clear acknowledgment that the offense must be better. Now, let’s see it on the field. Let’s see some fun Iowa football.

How does a QB wearing a bright red shirt receive a thigh injury in an early scrimmage?
pepsi GIF

McNamara said that? I don't recall anyone saying anything other than something like they're optimistic or not the knee, or it's a soft tissue quad related injury.

Also, it doesn't really have to be a "serious " injury to keep someone out if it's very painful or runs the risk of aggravating it by playing. Players have been out for many weeks from turf toe. There's a lot of gray here.
I think he said that to Dolphin during a recent interview or podcast.

The reading comprehension on this board is just fine. You flat-out blamed the Illinois loss on the fans.

As for supporting the team.....99.9% of the posters on this board support the Hawks. Yes, a small few go overboard. But when the offense can't manage to score more than 10 points and lose games where the defense only gave up 10 and 9, and when the offense is ranked near the bottom in all of college football....you can't expect fans to be happy and just say "That's ok!"

You really lose credibility by saying fans should have supported Lickliter "no matter the success". You are saying fans should have supported the man who single handedly ran the men's basketball program into the ground. A hole it took several years to dig out of. If it were up to you, the man would still be the coach! And Frank Lauterber (sp) would still be the football coach.

Unless fans express displeasure over the bad things (within reason, of course), then no changes will ever be made. Ultimately fans recognize the coaches and players care and are doing the best they can. But that doesn't mean fans should just just shut up and accept whatever.

By the way.....Iowa fans did support Lickliter.....until the program became a laughingstock.
Whatever Pee-Wee. Your reading comprehension still needs work.

I said, "if not (for the negativity) Iowa probably wins vs. Illinois. What part of the word "probably" implies flat-out blame? I never even used the word blame. But anyone that's familiar with my basketball posts about officials will tell you that I blame the players and coaches for the loss. For example, in no way did the officials cost Iowa the Rutgers loss, where a last second touch foul was called on Keegan 30 feet away from the basket to give Rutgers the winning free throws. Iowa had 40 minutes to play better ball and control their own destiny; and failed to do so.

Similarly, Iowa had 60 minutes to play better football against Illinois and prevent pressure situations from getting the best of them. Nobody is to blame for the loss but the Iowa players and coaches. But the game did happen to come down to a few key plays that in my opinion looked as if the players were trying to make up for undue negativity directed at them. And if not for those key plays in key moments, Iowa probably would have won an air-tight game.

Your math also needs work. 99.9% of posters on this board supporting the Hawks is a laughable claim. And yes, after 20+ years of consistent success in the program, I do expect fans to be happy. Overall, we've been blessed with a winning formula.

No, if it were up to me Lickliter would not still be the coach. But I chose to support the players that were busting their butts every day for this state. They absolutely deserved nothing less.

You assign far too much importance to the opinions of negative fans being voiced. They don't affect change. Athletic directors are more than capable of recognizing, for example, that Lickliter didn't put any effort in recruiting, didn't win any games, and didn't have any fans in attendance. Overly high negativity within the fanbase has NO BENEFIT. Why engage in it?

• Love
Reactions: F5n5
Of course people care that the offense has struggled. But my point was that it's not worth caring about enough to be dissatisfied with a win or dissatisfied with the program overall.

Media members.......lol.

Look at it this way. Say your baseball team as 4 aces, great bullpen and gold gloves all over the field. However, they fail to win the division because they lose a lot of 1-0, 2-1 type games because they can’t hit for shit. That’s Iowa football the last few years

And the “proven formula” you seem to be so fond of causes Iowa to lose some games they have NO BUSINESS losing.

ISU beats us with a whopping 10 pts. Illinois only put 9 up and walked away with a victory.

The “formula” needs serious adjustment and improvement.

I commend the staff for bringing in a couple offensive pieces in clear acknowledgment that the offense must be better. Now, let’s see it on the field. Let’s see some fun Iowa football.
No, nothing wrong with the formula. It's been quite successful the HIGH majority of 20+ seasons.

Iowa can't be expected to never have a down season. Nor can it be expected to be great at defense and offense.

When the weakest part of the formula(offense) has an all-time poor season and the team still wins 8 games, I'd say the formula is pretty darn amazing.

The problem recently, as anybody who knows a darn thing about football would tell you, has been the offensive line. Part of the program strategy was to get undersized o-lineman with good feet and build their strength through a difference-making strength coach in Doyle. Iowa lost Doyle at the same time that players were losing workouts due to covid. Other factors of attrition left Iowa with a confluence of elements that has hurt their offensive line's performance the last couple seasons.

No offense will be good with a crappy o-line. Why do think NOTHING worked ALL SEASON LONG last year until the NW game. Then all of the sudden EVERYTHING worked in the NW game. It's because the o-line was able to win up-front. Football is a simple game.

I will say that Kirk could have fortified the offensive line through the portal a year sooner than he did. But I'm not going to beat him up for it. The portal was a new reality with in numerous questions. Industries that are in the midst of long periods of success aren't quick to change, nor should they be. Kirk has never been quick to change and it has blessed us with two decades of consistent success. He has now made the adjustment to embrace the portal and he deserves credit for that.

What about 20+ years of success hasn't been fun? Again, another fan prioritizing style of play over wins

Reactions: rrsteffe and F5n5
Look at it this way. Say your baseball team as 4 aces, great bullpen and gold gloves all over the field. However, they fail to win the division because they lose a lot of 1-0, 2-1 type games because they can’t hit for shit. That’s Iowa football the last few years
Not a good analogy.

Offense and pitching/defense are almost entirely unrelated in baseball.

Not so in football. Iowa doesn't have the resources to be consistently great at both. So they have chosen to be great at defense. The few special athletes that they are able to get have consistently been put on the defensive side of the ball.

Teams defer to their defense all the time by simply punting the ball. Field position is the essence of football. Many teams, like Iowa, further compliment their defense by running the ball, running clock, and prioritizing not turning the ball over.

There is no "just add water(offense)" recipe. It doesn't work that way. Take Alabama and OSU for example. Two programs with the highest resources that lost long-standing dominant defenses the moment they installed spread offenses. Their defenses haven't been able to overcome an increased emphasis on offense. You think Iowa's could? You are way oversimplifying things

Not a good analogy.

Offense and pitching/defense are almost entirely unrelated in baseball.

Not so in football. Iowa doesn't have the resources to be consistently great at both. So they have chosen to be great at defense. The few special athletes that they are able to get have consistently been put on the defensive side of the ball.

Teams defer to their defense all the time by simply punting the ball. Field position is the essence of football. Many teams, like Iowa, further compliment their defense by running the ball, running clock, and prioritizing not turning the ball over.

There is no "just add water(offense)" recipe. It doesn't work that way. Take Alabama and OSU for example. Two programs with the highest resources that lost long-standing dominant defenses the moment they installed spread offenses. Their defenses haven't been able to overcome an increased emphasis on offense. You think Iowa's could? You are way oversimplifying things
You think I’m over simplifying it? I’ll go a step further. The offense hasn’t helped the team win. They are a net negative

Whatever Pee-Wee. Your reading comprehension still needs work.

I said, "if not (for the negativity) Iowa probably wins vs. Illinois. What part of the word "probably" implies flat-out blame? I never even used the word blame. But anyone that's familiar with my basketball posts about officials will tell you that I blame the players and coaches for the loss. For example, in no way did the officials cost Iowa the Rutgers loss, where a last second touch foul was called on Keegan 30 feet away from the basket to give Rutgers the winning free throws. Iowa had 40 minutes to play better ball and control their own destiny; and failed to do so.

Similarly, Iowa had 60 minutes to play better football against Illinois and prevent pressure situations from getting the best of them. Nobody is to blame for the loss but the Iowa players and coaches. But the game did happen to come down to a few key plays that in my opinion looked as if the players were trying to make up for undue negativity directed at them. And if not for those key plays in key moments, Iowa probably would have won an air-tight game.

Your math also needs work. 99.9% of posters on this board supporting the Hawks is a laughable claim. And yes, after 20+ years of consistent success in the program, I do expect fans to be happy. Overall, we've been blessed with a winning formula.

No, if it were up to me Lickliter would not still be the coach. But I chose to support the players that were busting their butts every day for this state. They absolutely deserved nothing less.

You assign far too much importance to the opinions of negative fans being voiced. They don't affect change. Athletic directors are more than capable of recognizing, for example, that Lickliter didn't put any effort in recruiting, didn't win any games, and didn't have any fans in attendance. Overly high negativity within the fanbase has NO BENEFIT. Why engage in it?
The Illinois game came down to a few key plays that "in your opinion" looked like the players were trying to make up for undue negativity directed at them???? What a ridiculous thing to say.

"If not for the negativity Iowa probably beats Illinois". Sound like blaming the fans to me.

You also said fans should have supported Lickliter "no matter the success".

Also.....are you seriously trying to tell me 99.9% of the fans on this board don't support the Hawks? You do realize this is a HAWKEYE MESSAGE BOARD don't you? I guess you don't.

Listen Kreskin....I have a news flash for you..... criticism DOES NOT MEAN the person doesn't support the Hawks.

The Illinois game came down to a few key plays that "in your opinion" looked like the players were trying to make up for undue negativity directed at them???? What a ridiculous thing to say.

"If not for the negativity Iowa probably beats Illinois". Sound like blaming the fans to me.

Also.....are you seriously trying to tell me 99.9% of the fans on this board don't support the Hawks? You do realize this is a HAWKEYE MESSAGE BOARD don't you? I guess you don't.

Listen Kreskin....I have a news flash for you..... criticism DOES NOT MEAN the person doesn't support the Hawks.
I don’t even know why Iowa would bother to show up and play against Utah State. With all this negativity on the message boards we have no shot at winning.

You think I’m over simplifying it? I’ll go a step further. The offense hasn’t helped the team win. They are a net negative
And the program and formula is overall successful. So what's the problem?

Again, Iowa is allowed a down year here and there. In fact, it is inevitable. And it's usually going to come from the offensive end. Last year produced maybe the most outrage from fans ever. And the team overall was fairly good/above average at worst. Completely inappropriate behavior from the fanbase.

Of course you don't want the offense to be a net negative. But last year proved that you can still be a good football team with absolutely no offense at all. That makes me even more confident in the formula. There won't be any more years with an offense as bad as last year's.

I think we're in agreement that the offense can and needs to improve. But it needs to be fortified incrementally here and there when it can. And at no point can the defense be compromised, which is easier said than done.

I can guarantee that no change on offense will be more important than the change in performance of the o-line. That will take care of a lot of ineptitude and return the offense to serviceable. That's all it has to be. And winning is all that should matter to fans

• Love

More Pee-Wee league level comprehension and misquotes.

No, the Illinois game did not come down to a few key plays. It came down to the fact the Illinois played better than Iowa/Iowa did not play well enough to win.

But given how close of a game it was, a few key plays gone Iowa's way could have easily changed the result.

Why is it ridiculous to say that a player can miss a play from pressing too hard? And to infer that some outside pressure can factor into the player's mindset. You've never seen this happen in sports?

I did say Iowa probably beats Illinois if not for the negativity. But made it clear that, in my opinion, the negativity lead to a few missed plays by Iowa at key moments. And that these plays could have been missed because of pressing too hard because the weeks of negativity had gotten to them. If the game was a blowout any amount of negativity would have been a moot point. But it wasn't. A couple key plays could have changed the game.

I never said fans should have supported Lickliter. They should have supported the team. And they at least shouldn't have piled onto Lickliter or the team to the point of creating a negative environment for the team.

You're still sticking to 99.9% support on this board? You truly are blind. As I've said, last year I went 3 weeks without hearing one positive word about Iowa football at my public workplace. This board wasn't much better. And when you add the level of intensity and disrespect that comes with not having to attach a name or face to your criticism, the overall sentiment of this board was actually much more toxic than the everyday conversation in public settings

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: GHawk and F5n5
Iowa should easily win the first three games...with or without QB1.

And if they don't, that's on the staff for weak recruiting on the offensive side of the ball.

Phil Parker will take control like he usually does.

• Haha
Reactions: Iafootballfan

No, the Illinois game did not come down to a few key plays. It came down to the fact the Illinois played better than Iowa/Iowa did not play well enough to win.

But given how close of a game it was, a few key plays gone Iowa's way could have easily changed the result.

Why is it ridiculous to say that a player can miss a play from pressing too hard? And to infer that some outside pressure can factor into the player's mindset. You've never seen this happen in sports?

I did say Iowa probably beats Illinois if not for the negativity. But made it clear that, in my opinion, the negativity lead to a few missed plays by Iowa at key moments. And that these plays could have been missed because of pressing too hard because the weeks of negativity had gotten to them. If the game was a blowout any amount of negativity would have been a moot point. But it wasn't. A couple key plays could have changed the game.

I never said fans should have supported Lickliter. They should have supported the team. And they at least shouldn't have piled onto Lickliter or the team to the point of creating a negative environment for the team.

You're still sticking to 99.9% support on this board? You truly are blind. As I've said, last year I went 3 weeks without hearing one positive word about Iowa football at my public workplace. This board wasn't much better. And when you add the level of intensity and disrespect that comes with not having to attach a name or face to your criticism, the overall sentiment of this board was actually much more toxic than the everyday conversation in public settings
I agree... I think fans booing their own quarterback had a very negative effect and impacted the play of the entire offense last season.. it is embarrassing.

• Haha
Reactions: 83Hawk and GHawk
I agree... I think fans booing their own quarterback had a very negative effect and impacted the play of the entire offense last season.. it is embarrassing.
When were there boos last year? What games? And they booed our own quarterback and no one else?!?!?

Did you ever think that since your public workplace is similar to this message board then maybe you're the one who has a different thought process than other fans. Rather than trying to convince everyone else to change, maybe you should accept others may have a different view or find a different job and message board.

I can love a band but hate a song or even an album. It's ok for me to feel that way.

Seems like the ideal time to try the qb sneak drive. 18 play opening drive of nothing but sneaks. Change up the formations a bit just to keep them thinking there's no way they try it again. Hill being pushed by Large, I don't think it would be stopped.
I don't think BF is that creative.. ;)

Reactions: BurgHawk87
Did you ever think that since your public workplace is similar to this message board then maybe you're the one who has a different thought process than other fans. Rather than trying to convince everyone else to change, maybe you should accept others may have a different view or find a different job and message board.

I can love a band but hate a song or even an album. It's ok for me to feel that way.
Nope. It’s all or nothing.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
Yes that was the reason the offense was the worst ever since KF started coaching in the big 10. It was us damn fans who were the fault. Not because of the OL who couldn’t block, inaccurate statue at qb or the incompetent boy wonder calling plays. It was the fans attitude damnit.

Yes that was the reason the offense was the worst ever since KF started coaching in the big 10. It was us damn fans who were the fault. Not because of the OL who couldn’t block, inaccurate statue at qb or the incompetent boy wonder calling plays. It was the fans attitude damnit.
that's what I think..
those guys didn't have the required confidence to compete at a high level... and the fans booing them really damaged their spirit.. and they were never able to overcome it.

I would like to jump into this controversy with both feet.

However, I'm just too pissed over the injustice done to Shannon (and the Wrestling team) to do so.

Might just go hide under my rock.

Reactions: ClarindaA's
that's what I think..
those guys didn't have the required confidence to compete at a high level... and the fans booing them really damaged their spirit.. and they were never able to overcome it.
you must think the entire offensive side is a collection of pussies then if they let some boos 'damage their spirit'. the guys i want playing would take that as a challenge and put up to shut us up.

It seems that somehow you've missed my point after it being pounded home about 7 times. So I won't repeat it.

Not surprised. I've always known that when it comes to football, football fans are some of the dumbest people on earth. The combination of passion and ignorance is a chemistry set explosion waiting to happen

Good grief....you can't even get your story straight from one paragraph to the next.

Paragraph 2 you say the game did not come down to a few key plays. Then in paragraph 3 you say if a few key plays had gone Iowa's way they could have won. And in a prior post you DID say the game came down to a few key plays. Make up your mind!

I never said it is ridiculous to say a player can miss from pressing too hard. It is ridiculous for you to claim that fan negativity led to missed plays in key moments. Of all the asinine comments I have seen on this board over the years, yours tops them all.

And for the last time.......this is a Hawkeye message board. Other than a few Husker/ISU/whatever fans, we are all Hawkeye supporters. Yes.....supporters. Your problem is, you think anyone who criticizes doesn't support the team. That is just plain dumb and stupid.

In any case, I'm done arguing. You be you.

Suggestion: since any criticism upsets you so much, maybe you should just start your own message board where "true" fans such as yourself can gather, and no negativity is allowed.

Reactions: GHawk and Iron Doc
I would like to jump into this controversy with both feet.

However, I'm just too pissed over the injustice done to Shannon (and the Wrestling team) to do so.

Might just go hide under my rock.
No you better stay out.

You'll bring up the spread offense. Then someone will point out to you that there's a high chance that Iowa going to the spread will compromise their defense.

Then you'll ask exactly how so?

Then a couple posters will answer you in depth and detail.

And then you'll disappear and not be heard from again in the thread.

It's happened a couple times

you must think the entire offensive side is a collection of pussies then if they let some boos 'damage their spirit'. the guys i want playing would take that as a challenge and put up to shut us up.
Have people do it to you daily at your workplace.

• Love
You’d make a helluva teacher/coach.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT