ADVERTISEMENT

New Story Cade update with KF quotes

Yes that was the reason the offense was the worst ever since KF started coaching in the big 10. It was us damn fans who were the fault. Not because of the OL who couldn’t block, inaccurate statue at qb or the incompetent boy wonder calling plays. It was the fans attitude damnit.
F5 has to be Mary, she constantly blames everyone but her son for Iowa's offensive woes. Hell I wouldn't be surprised if she blamed PP for getting the ball back too quick for the offense.

It seems that somehow you've missed my point after it being pounded home about 7 times. So I won't repeat it.

Not surprised. I've always known that when it comes to football, football fans are some of the dumbest people on earth. The combination of passion and ignorance is a chemistry set explosion waiting to happen

Well thanks for not responding with another one of your long ridiculous posts. I didn't miss your point because you have no real point. You think you're right and everyone else is wrong. You were right about one thing, you do seem to be dumb. It's good you recognize it, it's too bad you don't try to fix it.

Have people do it to you daily at your workplace.
you mean some peanuts in the gallery or my boss/peers? one i'll listen to, the others i'll laugh at.
You’d make a helluva teacher/coach.
irrelevant, but since you brought it up. a good teacher/coach should find out what drives and motivates each student/player and emphasize that to bring out his/her best. unfortunately for you, we weren't talking about my skill as a teacher or coach; we were talking about players being influenced by some drunk aholes in the stands and letting that demoralize them to the point they can't function. my point was: i don't believe the players would/could be influenced by booing fans to the point they lose games because of it... in fact it could have the opposite effect.

the guy i responded to obviously feels we have the former, i'd like to think we have the later.

try that with your own child and see what happens...
tell him he sucks and that he's a piece of sh*t and watch as his spirit is destroyed because of you.

You have to be a mom of one of the players. No one is forcing these kids to read anything they don't want to. If they want to play for fun, then join an intramural team. I bet you think it's mean the other team doesn't let the offense score. I'm guessing being rated one of the worse offenses in the nation is more upsetting than what someone posts on a message board.

Reactions: Iron Doc and 83Hawk
When have

when has iowa ever rolled up pts to get the backups in?
Never, ever in KF’s lifetime.😬
However, in Hayden’s tenure it was AWESOME! Hayden had the system (back then) and didn’t care about taking teams to the woodshed. He would put in the backup QB to only score more points if they could.
I miss those days.

Last edited:
Good grief....you can't even get your story straight from one paragraph to the next.

Paragraph 2 you say the game did not come down to a few key plays. Then in paragraph 3 you say if a few key plays had gone Iowa's way they could have won. And in a prior post you DID say the game came down to a few key plays. Make up your mind!

I never said it is ridiculous to say a player can miss from pressing too hard. It is ridiculous for you to claim that fan negativity led to missed plays in key moments. Of all the asinine comments I have seen on this board over the years, yours tops them all.

And for the last time.......this is a Hawkeye message board. Other than a few Husker/ISU/whatever fans, we are all Hawkeye supporters. Yes.....supporters. Your problem is, you think anyone who criticizes doesn't support the team. That is just plain dumb and stupid.

In any case, I'm done arguing. You be you.

Suggestion: since any criticism upsets you so much, maybe you should just start your own message board where "true" fans such as yourself can gather, and no negativity is allowed.
To me, saying the game came down to a few key plays is not the same as saying if a few plays at key moments had gone Iowa's way they could have won.

I've stated the game came down to Illinois playing better than Iowa over 60 minutes. I don't know how else to explain it. Yes, in a previous post I did say the game came down to a few plays. Probably sloppy wording by me on that one. Because to comprehend what was said in the rest of the paragraph as well as in the previous paragraph would be to understand that I clearly assigned blame to the players and coaches for not playing better ball for 60 minutes and controlling their destiny to a point where a couple bounces of the ball couldn't swing the outcome. But that fact that it was an air-tight game and a couple missed bounces happened at key moments does mean there's a significant chance the outcome could have changed had a couple different bounces occurred.

I don't know how else to explain it. You either understand it or you don't.

Again, I don't know why it is ridiculous to infer that a season's worth of fan negativity could have started to get to a few players and may have showed up in a few missed plays.

Not every missed play looks the same. Or, a player can miss a play in the exact same way twice and have two completely different reactions to it. Some players just don't miss certain plays; so when they do it raises an eyebrow. Missing a certain play at a certain point in the game can start to paint a picture of pressure. Rare misses becoming contagious can start to tell a story. There are many factors that can add up to one inferring that pressure may have had an effect on a play .

And I'm not just talking about the pressure of the moment. It appeared that on a few plays the Hawks were just trying too hard. We've all seen what that looks like in sports.

I've even stated that it could have just been internal pressure. That the players really wanted badly to start getting the offense going. And I'm sure that was part of it.

But add in the fact that these are basically kids, or at least humans with an ego. Add in the buildup of 5 weeks of statewide toxicity in the fishbowl community that is Hawkeye athletics (actually longer than that, as a large contingent of fans were outraged before the season even started because they wanted Padilla to start), and I stand by my opinion that there's a good chance some of the fan negativity lead to a few Hawks trying too hard a missing a few plays

Have people do it to you daily at your workplace.
Regardless of the line of work - if your performance sucks after being “coached” for several days / weeks / months…

Booing i.e. write-ups or complaints or criticism from colleagues or trash talking yada yada yada is warranted.

You don’t get to suck and not have to suffer some form of ‘blow back.’ There are expectations in the world..You know this of course.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
No you better stay out.

You'll bring up the spread offense. Then someone will point out to you that there's a high chance that Iowa going to the spread will compromise their defense.

Then you'll ask exactly how so?

Then a couple posters will answer you in depth and detail.

And then you'll disappear and not be heard from again in the thread.

It's happened a couple times
OK. OK. I will switch to pushing the old EWaterloo Wishbone or, better yet with our Offensive mindset, the Flying Wedge.

Reactions: eyesofhawk
A real HC would take DeJean, put him in at QB, and tell Phil to "deal with it."
Lol. The guy is about to become a mid-first round draft pick at corner.

Not to mention he has taken zero practice reps as a college QB. Nor have any offensive players or units taken any snaps with Coop at QB.

Go back to your Madden game

Last edited:
Illinois 9 - Iowa 6
Iowa State 10 - Iowa 7
Nebraska 24 - Iowa 17.
All that needs to be said in response to whatever that take was! Blaming the fans for losing to Illinois last year is all time comment for me as well!

Well, there are 5 members in the Ferentz family. Kirk, Mary, Brian, James and Steven. F5...Ferentz 5. Hmm....
They have a daughter also who is married to Barnes who is on the staff.

Lol. The guy is about to become a mid-first round draft pick at corner.

Not to mention he has taken zero practice reps as a college QB. Nor have any offensive players or units taken any snaps with Coop at QB.

Go back to your Madden game
Cooper has more experience dealing w/the Hawkeye offense than Cade McNamara, Deacon Hill, and Joe Labas total combined time! He's also 110% more athletic than all of them combined!

Your head is stuck in The Portal; only Brian (and, probably you) still plays Madden...lol

They have a daughter also who is married to Barnes who is on the staff.

I thought they had 5 kids, so that could be the F5. If they're all married, I have no idea, that could be the n5. That said, I highly doubt there would be a Ferentz posting on this board.

I thought they had 5 kids, so that could be the F5. If they're all married, I have no idea, that could be the n5. That said, I highly doubt there would be a Ferentz posting on this board.
Yep, I double checked and actually they have 5 children. Brain, Kelly, Joanne, James and Steven. So maybe that is the "Ferentz 5" sounds like something a Mom would come up with. ;)

Reactions: SB_SB

It would certainly seem unlikely. However, I borderline became convinced it was Mary last season when she was saying Brian was a genius OC over, and over and defending him ad nauseam saying ridiculous stuff. It was embarassing and something only a mom would say/do especially when he was doing so incredibly poorly.

Now we need to figure out who this eyesofhawk is. I am going to go with a players family member.

Reactions: MitchLL
It would certainly seem unlikely. However, I borderline became convinced it was Mary last season when she was saying Brian was a genius OC over, and over and defending him ad nauseam saying ridiculous stuff. It was embarassing and something only a mom would say/do especially when he was doing so incredibly poorly.

Now we need to figure out who this eyesofhawk is. I am going to go with a players family member.
I better put this on my next application, I potentially have the longest currently tenured college football coach's wife on ignore. That's gotta be worth a higher starting salary.

This is going to be a fun year on here
Episode 2 Scream GIF by The Simpsons

Reactions: Birky

I didn't know there was some history there with F5n5. There have been family members (of players) posting in the past. Some say who they are and some don't.

Cooper has more experience dealing w/the Hawkeye offense than Cade McNamara, Deacon Hill, and Joe Labas total combined time! He's also 110% more athletic than all of them combined!

Your head is stuck in The Portal; only Brian (and, probably you) still plays Madden...lol
I haven't a clue what you're talking about

And again, who cares?

They don't put offensive stats in the win or loss column.

I get that you want to see Cade play on the day that you invest the money and time to attend in person. But is this still not a team sport? Is a win for the team still not the most important thing? A win for the Hawks should overall leave you feeling satisfied.

For you to say that you'll be pissed if Cade doesn't play and the offense struggles suggests that a team win isn't what's most important for you. To that, I suggest that you are wrong to feel that way. Or maybe a better way to put it is you are a selfish fan, if there is such a thing.
Because all the jackasses that tirelessly complain about offense aren't really fans to me.

IOWA IS A SUCCESSFUL PROGRAM. Other than a handful of "Blueblood" programs, Iowa is as good as it gets over the last 2+ decades. What more do you want?

Every fanbase wants their team to occasionally be able to break through and capture some hardware. But to expect Iowa to join the Blue bloods just isn't realistic.

So again, over time Iowa is having as much success as anyone could possibly hope for. I don't want to hear mediocrity. Check the numbers; Iowa is as good or better than all the other non-bluebloods. Far better than mediocrity.

So what's the discontent from fans all about? Basically, it comes down to what is valued. And basically, in this case, the selfish fan values offense over wins.

IOWA HAS A PROVEN FORMULA. Believe it or not, the coaches came up with a formula that best fits the resources they have to work with in the state of Iowa. Like any successful formula, it's consciously built around inherent advantages and disadvantages that exist at Iowa. The formula has almost always materialized into excellent defense and special teams. Some years the offense is better than others, which is to be expected. There is no "just add water(offense)" recipe.

It's ok for fans to want more. It's ok to have complaints. But when you look at the fact that Iowa football has consistently been successful over a long period of time, the aggregate and tireless discontent of the the Iowa fanbase is completely inappropriate. It doesn't fit the situational fact that Iowa is a successful program.

And given that lack of offense has been the main root of the fans' discontent, it basically comes down to style over substance.

Not everyone prefers high scoring games stylistically. So all this never-ending negativity from the fans is the same as them being pissed because their favorite color is green, while the coaching staffs' favorite color is brown. Actually, it's even worse. These selfish fans value the color green over wins.

Enjoy the kickass football program that is the Iowa Hawkeyes. Being a multiplyer of negativity, if anything, can only hurt your team. For example, the weeks of negativity last season caught up to Iowa around the Illinois game. The kids started to press. I remember Gavin Williams being wide open on a swing pass to the left. Open field to run for days and turn a pivotal play. But the ball was dropped. Yes, I'm saying if not for weeks of unnecessary negativity felt state-wide last season, Iowa probably wins that Illinois game.

The fact that fans' negativity can hurt the performance of the team might be a little far reached for some. But certainly they can understand that the negativity can't do any good. Why participate in something that can't bring good? Grow up and realize that the sun always comes up tomorrow. Enjoy the abundance of good that Hawkeye football has to offer. Be a conscious fanbase and please don't put us all through another season of toxicity
Holy sheet … I thought I was reading Peter Pan

that is so true...
when nobody believes in you, it is hard to perform at a high level..
but when 70,000+ believe in you and cheer for you.... that will give you the confidence to perform at the highest level.

fans matter

• Haha
Reactions: TRHawkeye145
that is so true...
but when 70,000+ believe in you and cheer for you.... that will give you the confidence to perform at the highest level.

fans matter
Win the crowd Maximus

Reactions: kceasthawk
that is so true...

fans matter
Well shit, losing an away game is now the fault of the 70,000 home fans that weren't even there. Also you were replying to a sarcastic post and completely missed it.

He certainly has a unique new take.....players are now so distraught over negative vibes from fans that they are making mistakes that are losing games.
No, those mistakes didn't lose the Illinois game.

There's still time for you to come along though

• Haha
Reactions: 83Hawk
No, those mistakes didn't lose the Illinois game.

There's still time for you to come along though
"But the game did happen to come down to a few key plays that in my opinion looked as if the players were trying to make up for undue negativity directed at them. And if not for those key plays in key moments, Iowa probably would have won an air-tight game."

Keep digging that hole!

Reading comprehension on this board could use some work.

My main point is that fans should overall be satisfied with Iowa football. The level of negativity from the fanbase is disproportionate to the level of success the program has produced.

I work in a public setting where sports is always part of the conversation. It gives a good pulse on the level of satisfaction within the Iowa fanbase. Last season, other than my own interjections, I literally heard NOT ONE positive
word about Iowa football in 3 WEEKS. That, my friends, is ridiculous.

Again, there's a lot to love about Iowa football. If 20+ years of success isn't enough for you, the team sported one of the best defenses in the history of college football last year, for God's sake. And again, if a fan is overall dissatisfied, winning must not be the most important thing for him.

Winning is what's most important to the players and coaches. They care none about how many points were scored. That's how the team experiences it, so that's what the fans should be supporting.

Sure, the loses to ISU, Illinois, and Nebraska can be brought up. But the 8 wins can also be brought up. 20+ years of success can also be brought up. As good as Iowa's formula is, they're Iowa, they're going to have a rough year every now and then. Having what felt like 80% of the state wanting to blow up the program the moment it hit a little rough patch, again, was ridiculous. The fact when the rough patch hit, and Iowa had one of the worst offenses of all time, and managed to win 8 games, just made me prouder of everything that Iowa does exceptionally well.

My second point was why be negative? Again, a negative fanbase may or may not hurt the performance of the team. Most of the time it doesn't. It's my opinion that in the Illinois game it did. But again, the point is that a negative fanbase can never help the team. So why participate in it?

Iowa football fans should overall be satisfied. Actually, the fanbase should be supportive no matter the success level of the team. For example, the negativity in the Lickliter years was completely wrong. Support your Hawkeyes or shut your mouth. What good can a toxic environment possibly do for anyone? The Lickliter negativity was so contagious that it still hurts the men's basketball program to this day. The game environment and attendance is nothing like it used to be. Meanwhile you can't find a seat at women's basketball or wrestling. It has detracted from Iowa's home court advantage and from the brand they are able to sell to recruits.

Just enjoy your Hawks folks

Good post and the guy right below you nailed it. It’s a miserable existence if you’re continually on a comment board complaining. Community board, neighborhood board, political board, newspaper commentary, sports, et al….

And the guy who keeps pretending that 99.9 % of the fans on here are “ok” is a self serving dolt. We wouldn’t be having the conversation if it were even remotely true….

And I agree about Alford, Lickliter and the B-ball team. They both needed gone, but that is when I truly noticed the abhorrent nature of the nasty vitriol…

It soured me greatly!

It ruins the fan experience for everyone except the happy types 🤪 that we have in here!

Reactions: eyesofhawk
Sport Psychology Consultants Help Athletes Cope with Fans

– January 2009 – We all know of cases where negative fan behavior has driven some athletes to perform less than their best…or perhaps even knock them completely out of the competition.

https://appliedsportpsych.org › ...PDF

Fan Behavior Impacts Athletes

I’m not going to put a ton of effort into this but a simple Google effort yields plenty of info on the “negative fan”, social media and its affect on athletes!

• Love
Reactions: F5n5
"But the game did happen to come down to a few key plays that in my opinion looked as if the players were trying to make up for undue negativity directed at them. And if not for those key plays in key moments, Iowa probably would have won an air-tight game."

Keep digging that hole!
We've already been over that exact paragraph Pee-Wee.

I admitted to poorly wording that the game "came down" to those few plays. And submitted plenty of surrounding context that made that distinction clear.

You're even slower/more sense than I thought

• Haha
Reactions: F5n5 and cmhawks99
that is so true...

fans matter
Here’s how the [natural] transition occurs, Mary:

A player is initially highly thought of and “believed” in by many/most.

Said player(s) then does not perform well enough to maintain others’ trust or belief.

Belief >> Poor Performance >> Lack of Belief (in sports, this is generally booing yada yada)

EARN IT. MAINTAIN IT.

I know.. This is rocket science.

I admitted to poorly wording that the game "came down" to those few plays. And submitted plenty of surrounding context that made that distinction clear.

Oh know, he is a super positive type !

Brain. I speak on behalf of the entire fan base when I say we are sorry. It doesn’t matter that you were in charge of the worst offense in modern big ten history. It doesn’t matter that a lot of us felt like this when we watched Iowa the last season and a half, “Golly, I hope we can just get the defense back on the field. It’s our best chance to score.” It doesn’t matter that no one else in the world would still have a job if they had a track record like our offensive coordinator. We are all sorry.
Did I do it right? 😊

And yet you continued to say fan negativity caused players to make mistakes on a few plays that affected the outcome. No matter how much "context" you try to add to CYA....you still say the same thing. Over, and over, and over. Do I need to keep quoting you?

The fact that you look at a mistake a player made and claim that it was due to fan negativity is perhaps the most ridiculous thing I have ever read on this board.

You keep digging in your heels and looking more clueless.

But.....I've made my point. No use arguing. You will continue to believe what you want to believe. Have a nice weekend!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT