ADVERTISEMENT

Cael Sanderson

If there's one thing true about Cael, it's he does what is good for Cael.

From his shafting of his former coach and school, it's clear Cael wanted greater personal glory. He couldn't get it done at ISU, so he left for the fertile wrestling country of PA. He took David Taylor, Cyler, Matt Brown with him, joining with Molinaro, Ruth, Q Wright, and later accepting the disgraced Andrew Long. He quickly won a championship at PSU, while ISU wrestling collapsed.

Then came the sugar daddy endowment for the NLWC and rumors of "creative financing," for end runs around 9.9 scholly limits, which to date, we don't really know much about.

What we do know is that caliber of recruits PSU has been getting now, every year, is off the charts. By simply bringing in the very best HS wrestler at almost every single weight, everyone else is left playing catch up.

I see Cael as one of the greatest collegiate wrestlers in history, but beyond that, not much to like. Since his move to PSU, the name of the game has turned into recruiting.

Is it possible that endowments and creative accounting are now leading to ncaa championships? Not good for the sport.

The playing field needs to be level. Tom has said it is not level. We can only speculate about what that means, but I don't think he would make up something like that up out of thin air. Something seems rotten.

From his shafting of his former coach and school, it's clear Cael wanted greater personal glory. He couldn't get it done at ISU, so he left for the fertile wrestling country of PA. He took David Taylor, Cyler, Matt Brown with him, joining with Molinaro, Ruth, Q Wright, and later accepting the disgraced Andrew Long. He quickly won a championship at PSU, while ISU wrestling collapsed.

Then came the sugar daddy endowment for the NLWC and rumors of "creative financing," for end runs around 9.9 scholly limits, which to date, we don't really know much about.

What we do know is that caliber of recruits PSU has been getting now, every year, is off the charts. By simply bringing in the very best HS wrestler at almost every single weight, everyone else is left playing catch up.

I see Cael as one of the greatest collegiate wrestlers in history, but beyond that, not much to like. Since his move to PSU, the name of the game has turned into recruiting.

Is it possible that endowments and creative accounting are now leading to ncaa championships? Not good for the sport.

The playing field needs to be level. Tom has said it is not level. We can only speculate about what that means, but I don't think he would make up something like that up out of thin air. Something seems rotten.
H
Everyone else isn't cheating, just Bael. That's the point.

Biggest scumbag in college wrestling, and the sport would do well if he went away, whether voluntarily or not.
First, imho, you only show your pettiness by using the wrong name. The man's name is Cael not Bael. Secondly, and this is a serious question, can you please tell me specifically and with proof, how he cheats?

Educate me here. Why does PSU have more money for wrestling than Iowa does? Iowa's got a big reputation and a big wrestling history. Doesn't Iowa have big donors? What about their wrestling alumni? Both schools are in the Big Ten and get conference money.
I was an undergrad at PSU when Rob Koll's dad was the coach (from UNI btw). They were a good team, not a championship team. Cael coming to PSU was a perfect storm of Carl's ability, Pennsylvania's talent, PSU alumni frustration, and a Millionaire's plan. In PA's mountains wrestling is a big sport, the talent is and will be there, and the alumni love the championships.

What does a millionaire’s plan mean? Explain the plan. I didn’t know they had a plan from a millionaire. If what you described is all it took John Smith would be the most decorated coach ever. What plan does PSU have from a millionaire?

What does a millionaire’s plan mean? Explain the plan. I didn’t know they had a plan from a millionaire. If what you described is all it took John Smith would be the most decorated coach ever. What plan does PSU have from a millionaire?
It's been published. I don't remember the name. There is a wrestling alum in Philadelphia who put together the package to get Cael. He is a really big shot, like hundreds of millions type big shot. I'll poke around and see if I can find it.

It's been published. I don't remember the name. There is a wrestling alum in Philadelphia who put together the package to get Cael. He is a really big shot, like hundreds of millions type big shot. I'll poke around and see if I can find it.

Yes, I'm pretty sure you are right about this. There is a rich alum who has put big dollars into the program. But that's not my question. My question is, if it's this easy, then why doesn't some rich alum of Iowa do the same? Surely there is a wealthy Iowa alum who writes checks to his alma mater.

As an aside, the guy who donates big to the PSU program is a total asshole. That's neither here nor there, but nonetheless true. Maybe he was an ex-wrestler, not sure.

Nevertheless, if dollars are all that matters, then there isn't any reason why Iowa shouldn't be able to pony up and get things even. Or maybe it's because Cael actually is a damned good coach.

Not sure who it was, but possibly Ira Lubert... PS hwt in the early 70's and a former board of trustees member...

Reactions: phelpsp

Horrible - you don't know the first thing about that man. Vent if it makes you feel good. Cael is the most humble selfless leader I have ever seen. He shys away from the spotlight, diverts all praise to the other coaches and his kids. Low key, mellow and focused only on excellence and integrity. Now take a look at the Brands or Ryan drawn to the flame like spotlight like moths to a flame. Iowa has a great program and some awesome new talent to get excited about, but why you constantly need to manufacture derogatory crap about a great man in a feeble attempt to build yourself up is beyond me. Enjoy the talent you have and focus on the positive.

Agree! Bama cheats in football. The Patriots cheat. The Yankees use creative financing. Lebron needs a super team around him. But when Iowa was relevant they did it with honor.

Trying to be objective. Cael not doing well at ISU is sort of like Nick Saban not being a national champion at MSU. There are a lot of cards that have to fall into place to become a winner: resources, recruiting, performance, etc.
Cael was doing just fine at Iowa State, he just hadn't won a Title yet, and Iowa was dominating in-state recruiting, as was to be expected (we can see now that isn't that big of a deal right now, because Iowa H.S. talent is down and I don't think its debatable - hopefully it cycles back soon).

But Cael got Gallick out of Arizona, Varner out of California, Taylor out of Ohio, etc., not like he wasn't bringing in National Blue-Chips, he just couldn't get anywhere near what he gets now to supplement those with what he has in his back yard, and maybe Iowa State wasn't "creative" enough with the accounting when he was there.(I believe these 3 were Cael recruits, but not certain on all of them, there were others besides those 3 of course)

Cael had everything he needed at Iowa State to win a National Title, what he didn't have was the patience of constantly being owned by Iowa even though his recruiting was better than most.

Last edited:
Reactions: Urohawk
Regarding Lubert, not "former" member of the BOT. He was president of the BOT, although he recently installed one of his puppets into that position. The guy pretty much runs the university. Not even the governor can touch him because of how it is all structured. Nobody associated with the university likes the guy.

Again, local politics that don't interest you. I just think it's not merely money. Any school can get money.

Reactions: Dagboi
What stood out to me about Cael and his interview after the tourney was when he was asked about Bo's win. He didn't say how awesome it was for Bo, he only mentioned the team title. Already had no respect for him, but now he is in negative respect. Starting to believe a wrestler is just a number to him.

Agree- but he had the perfect storm at ISU. Why couldn’t he put them over the edge with the same staff and great facilities, not to mention ISU was arguably a more tradition rich program AND his alma mater. He recruits across the country now and could have easily snagged PA, Ohio, California recruits, right? Again for some reason couldn’t get it done there and is a recruiting/coaching savant at PSU.
Ya, to be fair, he was only head coach at ISU 3 years and his first coaching job, and had ISU contending while there. In addition he was bringing in highly rated recruiting classes (Ex: Jake Varner at Iowa State and also (David Taylor, Matt Brown) were ISU commits that followed Cael to Penn State.

Would he have eventually won national championships at ISU? Yes, he was bringing in the recruits and developing them.

Would he have been as successful as at Penn State? No, Penn State has incredible recruiting advantages over ISU, Iowa.

What he has going on at Penn State is amazing. The wrestler room is full of champs and high school wrestlers want to go there for 2 reasons:
1) They like Cael Sanderson and the wrestling culture/style.
2) They believe this is their best chance to win NCAA championship

Cael and Penn State have raised the bar. Now programs like Ohio State, Cornell, Michigan, others have raised their committment to wrestling and quality of wrestling has never been higher. Challenge is bigger for Iowa, and unfortunately even bigger for ISU.

Last edited:
Ya, to be fair, he was only head coach at ISU 3 years and his first coaching job, and had ISU contending while there. In addition he was bringing in highly rated recruiting classes (Ex: David Taylor, Matt Brown) that later followed him to Iowa State.

Would he have eventually won national championships at ISU? Yes, he was bringing in the recruits and developing them.

Would he have been as successful as at Penn State? No, Penn State has incredible recruiting advantages over ISU, Iowa.

What he has going on at Penn State is amazing. The wrestler room is full of champs and high school wrestlers want to go there for 2 reasons:
1) They like Cael Sanderson and the wrestling culture/style.
2) They believe this is their best chance to win NCAA championship

Cael and Penn State have raised the bar. Now programs like Ohio State, Cornell, Michigan, others have raised their committment to wrestling and quality of wrestling has never been higher. Challenge is bigger for Iowa, and unfortunately even bigger for ISU.
I've said many times there is no doubt in my mind that Iowa got guys to come here "on the cheap" back in the day to be a part of a great program, or had some of the "wealthier" parents give up some scholarship money to attract other recruits. That said, it is a drop in the bucket in comparison to what PSU is doing with their recruiting recently and currently. No comparison, not remotely close to the same thing.

One other thing to consider, and I would assume there was some impact financially for these families, but look at all the Brother combinations Iowa had. Brand's, Steiner's, Banach's, Zalesky's, etc. There were quite a few, and they all happened to be damn good wrestlers as it turned out.

Not sure who it was, but possibly Ira Lubert... PS hwt in the early 70's and a former board of trustees member...
Thanks, yes that's the name. He is chairman of the trustees.
Here is an article about the $5M he recently donated, mentioning his support of wrestling.
He is an investor/real estate mogul. Tens of billions $.

url

Last edited:
Tom Ryan made Hofstra a respectable program but not a world class program like tOSU. Cael kept ISU respectable, but nowhere near the program he has at PSU. Popolizio, Dresser and Brands don’t get enough credit. Brands put VT on the map and Dresser continued it. The fact that Iowa is only trailing tOSU and PSU is predictable and amazing. Those schools have money and awesome HS programs. Michigan’s rise is attributable to money and talent as well. Iowa’s “tradition” is keeping them in the mix, and TOM BRANDS.
lol, wow... I think Brands is a great coach and has the best lightweight room in the country....congrats on LEE(Love watching him wrestle) but the statement in bold is funny considering he was only at VT for 2 seasons and the last one he went 1-16.

As a life long wrestling fan, and a former wrestler, I must say it is disappointing to read all the bitterness expressed here. Growing up and wrestling in PA, it was simple, if you wanted to be the best, you had to wrestle for the best, and that meant DAN GABLE & IOWA !!! That was every HS wrestler in PA's DREAM, but unless you had MULITPLE state championship under your belt IOWA would not even talk to you, they didn't need to because they were the premier program in the country and they had their pick of the best . Gable had a run of championships that will NEVER be matched ! As a fan of everything PSU, I still will ALWAYS view Iowa wrestling and Dan Gable as the program who set the standard for college wrestling.
NO ONE EVER, would have then, made the same unproven speculations about those famed Gable programs that are being made now about Sanderson & the PSU program, and he was MORE dominant then than PSU is now !!
Brands has done a wonderful job of recruiting in PSU's back yard and the young talent at Iowa is going to be a force in the Big10.
Wrestling fans never hatted Gable and the Iowa program, we admired the talent, skill, hard work and commitment it took to reach the top of the mountain and to stay there.
As a fan of the sport, I believe college wrestling is more competitive than it has ever been and the BIG10 is leading the way. Have pride in your school and continue to expect nothing but the best from the program, BUT making unfounded and baseless claims about cheating and deep pockets does NOTHING but DISRESPECT the sport and the athletes, the sport YOUR University made so GREAT.
Your better than that Iowa fans !!!
PSU is under more of a microscope that any school in the country, due to the tragic events that transpired not long ago. PLEASE if you have PROOF of cheating, payoffs, or ANYTHING step up and make it known, until then show the CLASS that Dan Gable did when he built Iowa Wrestling.

As a life long wrestling fan, and a former wrestler, I must say it is disappointing to read all the bitterness expressed here. Growing up and wrestling in PA, it was simple, if you wanted to be the best, you had to wrestle for the best, and that meant DAN GABLE & IOWA !!! That was every HS wrestler in PA's DREAM, but unless you had MULITPLE state championship under your belt IOWA would not even talk to you, they didn't need to because they were the premier program in the country and they had their pick of the best . Gable had a run of championships that will NEVER be matched ! As a fan of everything PSU, I still will ALWAYS view Iowa wrestling and Dan Gable as the program who set the standard for college wrestling.
NO ONE EVER, would have then, made the same unproven speculations about those famed Gable programs that are being made now about Sanderson & the PSU program, and he was MORE dominant then than PSU is now !!
Brands has done a wonderful job of recruiting in PSU's back yard and the young talent at Iowa is going to be a force in the Big10.
Wrestling fans never hatted Gable and the Iowa program, we admired the talent, skill, hard work and commitment it took to reach the top of the mountain and to stay there.
As a fan of the sport, I believe college wrestling is more competitive than it has ever been and the BIG10 is leading the way. Have pride in your school and continue to expect nothing but the best from the program, BUT making unfounded and baseless claims about cheating and deep pockets does NOTHING but DISRESPECT the sport and the athletes, the sport YOUR University made so GREAT.
PSU is under more of a microscope that any school in the country, due to the tragic events that transpired not long ago. PLEASE if you have PROOF of cheating, payoffs, or ANYTHING step up and make it known, until then show the CLASS that Dan Gable did when he built Iowa Wrestling.

Horrible - you don't know the first thing about that man. Vent if it makes you feel good. Cael is the most humble selfless leader I have ever seen. He shys away from the spotlight, diverts all praise to the other coaches and his kids. Low key, mellow and focused only on excellence and integrity. Now take a look at the Brands or Ryan drawn to the flame like spotlight like moths to a flame. Iowa has a great program and some awesome new talent to get excited about, but why you constantly need to manufacture derogatory crap about a great man in a feeble attempt to build yourself up is beyond me. Enjoy the talent you have and focus on the positive.

Here’s what I’d ask you to do since you know Carl, ask him about his conversation with the Iowa state staff about Long and what happened a week after. Let me know what he tells you as you may choose to delete the “integrity” part of your post.

You want to rip on Iowa fans for making fun of him but you take a shot at Brands and Ryan - hmmm. I’ve talked with the 3 of them (not a big fan of Ryan) and a lot of other coaches and I can tell you who by far is the least impressive to have a conversation with and it’s not close. I like Koll less than Carl but he at least he can have a somewhat intelligent conversation. Since you know Carl why don’t you have a conversation with Tom Brands and then let me know your thoughts about Brands vs what you think he’s like.

There’s some butthurt / jealousy from Hawk fans but you get what you earn and penn state won the championship - Congrats. What’s funny to me is the amount of PSU fans coming to an Iowa board to correct us about all things Penn State and the greatness of Carl - you guys have a great run going but it’s more important that big brother give you validation - strange. Iowa will win a title in the next few years and I guarantee you won’t see me on a penn state board - then again I’d never go on another board or if I would I’d at least show some respect. Come on a hawk board and act like a jackass - well as I said earlier you get what you earn.

So in other words you have no idea? You’re just making up these accusations?
I didn’t say shit about anything other than why the f*ck are you on this board trolling. I can’t make it more simple than that. Buh bye.

lol, wow... I think Brands is a great coach and has the best lightweight room in the country....congrats on LEE(Love watching him wrestle) but the statement in bold is funny considering he was only at VT for 2 seasons and the last one he went 1-16.
If you don't agree with that statement, you don't know jack shit about the sport of College Wrestling.

Well I'm not quite sure if you are saying he was successful or not at ISU. Either way, its all relative to what he is doing now.

BTW, he was only at ISU for three years, so if you are saying he did great at ISU, most of the kids he did great with were Bobby Douglas's recruits.

You think guys like Jake Varner came to ISU for Bobby Douglas? Check out the years before Cael and after at ISU. He was going to win an NCAA title at ISU. No doubt in my mind. But he's won a lot more at PSU than he would have at ISU. That potential is why he left.

You think guys like Jake Varner came to ISU for Bobby Douglas? Check out the years before Cael and after at ISU. He was going to win an NCAA title at ISU. No doubt in my mind. But he's won a lot more at PSU than he would have at ISU. That potential is why he left.

I would agree on Varner and I know D Taylor was on his way. With that said, he sure as hell didnt win a national title(much less two) in his first three years at ISU like he did at PSU.

Reactions: HawkFT
I would agree on Varner and I know D Taylor was on his way. With that said, he sure as hell didnt win a national title(much less two) in his first three years at ISU like he did at PSU.

Correct. It's easier to win at PSU. Which isn't disputed and there whole reason he left.

A plan has been published? Really intrigued here what a plan for them would look like vs a plan for a tradition rich program/state like Okie State that has access to unlimited resources like T Boone Pickens. Or is John Smith asleep at the wheel and forgot how to recruit/coach?

Yet in real life here were are. 7 of 8. Next year it will be 8 of 9.
20 NCAA champions in those years, 31 finalists. 16 semi-final victories in a row. For a couple nothings Cael and Penn State wrestling seem to be doing very well.
An excellent coach in very fertile recruiitng grounds = success.

Reactions: jreacher1
A plan has been published? Really intrigued here what a plan for them would look like vs a plan for a tradition rich program/state like Okie State that has access to unlimited resources like T Boone Pickens. Or is John Smith asleep at the wheel and forgot how to coach?

Does the Okie State wrestling program and senior level club count T Boone as one of their big time supporters and donors? If so, this is the first I've heard of it but admit I might not be the most knowledgeable here.

Nice first post. You're new here. So are a lot of the other PSU visitors. Guess what..........So are a lot of the Hawk posters that are crying and ranting. Many are here for a few days this time of the year and then gone. They post their emotions. Upset, disappointed, dang Cael, etc. Happens every year.

Your PSU newbies come over and get in arguments with them. Kids will be kids.

Most regulars here don't get to upset or involved with the arguments and petty stuff.

So when you view this site you have to look at who is who. Regular poster or newbie visitor. Hard to do, of course, unless you're around here a lot. Not fair to judge this site and some of the more seasoned posters with some of the teeth gnashing and pissing contests going on right now among all the "strangers" here.

Come back and visit at different times and interact with some of the regulars. Different experience and perspective I'm thinking.

Does the Okie State wrestling program and senior level club count T Boone as one of their big time supporters and donors? If so, this is the first I've heard of it but admit I might not be the most knowledgeable here.
I suppose the University as a whole benefited from good ol' T Boone's generosity, but I saw the other day he was hanging up the ol' oil can or whatever it is you do when you retire in his business! (think he had primarily oil money, but not certain - I did run across a pretty good article about him recently, but don't recall where)

I have only heard about him helping the football program.

Brands at iowa.
Correct, that is no different than MSU competing against Michigan for Saban. My point is the guy is a decent coach. I don't have to like him or PSU but I have to respect what they're doing.

Who's speculating, other than you guys? You recruit the same guys that Cael does, right? Surely they'd know about recruiting bullshit they could announce to you.

I dunno. Some guys win. Belichick wins. Wooden won. Saban wins. Seems to me that Cael is no different here. Guys like them, the losers always need to have an excuse. It has to be cheating. It simply can't be that he's better than your guy.

And, by the way, one thing we've learned over the years is that when someone is soundly beaten, that is when the Sandusky references are sure to come up. If you think that stuff bothers us anymore, well, you're way behind the tide.

Well except Belichick was caugth cheating....

Nice first post. You're new here. So are a lot of the other PSU visitors. Guess what..........So are a lot of the Hawk posters that are crying and ranting. Many are here for a few days this time of the year and then gone. They post their emotions. Upset, disappointed, dang Cael, etc. Happens every year.

Your PSU newbies come over and get in arguments with them. Kids will be kids.

Most regulars here don't get to upset or involved with the arguments and petty stuff.

So when you view this site you have to look at who is who. Regular poster or newbie visitor. Hard to do, of course, unless you're around here a lot. Not fair to judge this site and some of the more seasoned posters with some of the teeth gnashing and pissing contests going on right now among all the "strangers" here.

Come back and visit at different times and interact with some of the regulars. Different experience and perspective I'm thinking.
Thanks Kwoodhawk,
I have visited this site for a long time, just never felt the need to post. As I said I am a WRESTLING FAN, and have great respect for the Hawkeye program, past & present. Those that have never worn a singlet have no idea the dedication & commitment it takes, but those who have, know its a brotherhood that transcends school colors.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT