ADVERTISEMENT

Caitlin Clark and Angel Reese got everyone watching. Better buckle up.

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
Late Monday night in downtown Albany, three fans in black went searching for a proper celebration. Their team and their hero had won the long-awaited rematch of women’s basketball watershed moment, and so this trio walked the middle of Howard Street, huffing as they climbed the hilly asphalt. Around the corner, beer was waiting.

“Everyone’s jumping on our … bandwagon,” one fan lamented to her friends.
She didn’t mean the Iowa Hawkeyes. She meant women’s hoops.
Long after Iowa unseated defending champion LSU on Monday night, a 94-87 thrill ride that at times felt like it should have required a seat belt, a crowd lingered in the lower bowl of MVP Arena. The Hawkeyes had secured their second straight Final Four berth, getting some payback after LSU triumphed over them in last year’s title game. And so fans stuck around and cheered as players snipped and then held up their spoils from the night, jagged pieces of nylon net. It sounded like a roar when Caitlin Clark raised hers.

ADVERTISING

It wasn’t just Iowa City’s finest who filled the postgame throng. Actor Jason Sudeikis was allowed past the yellow ropes and stood on the court taking pictures with guard Kate Martin’s family, for goodness sake. He wore a gray hoodie. On the back it read: “Everyone Watches Women’s Sports.”

But while walking on a sleepy street, after sharing their passion with millions of others who watched the titanic matchup on ESPN, one of the three Iowa fans must have felt alarmed.
“I’m glad more people like women’s basketball, because they used to s--- on it,” she said, climbing up the street but looking back to the not-so-distant past.
The OGs of women’s basketball are having to make room in their club as more people, maybe even some reformed haters, are barging in and propping up their feet as if they own the place. They’re here for the good stuff. These newbies are getting hip to the fact that Clark might be an even better passer than she is an unconscious shooter. But when a sport explodes in popularity, as women’s college basketball has over the past year, the gatekeepers can’t always protect their game from the downside of growth.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...agnet-college-basketball_inline_collection_19
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...agnet-college-basketball_inline_collection_20

On Monday, Angel Reese carried a shimmering tiara on the court during the starters’ introductions. She’s a star, so the crown was for show. Had she been more honest with her props, however, Reese might have chosen to wear a target.
Since winning the 2023 title and becoming one of the most discussed athletes in America, Reese has spent a year equally luxuriating in the light of fame and being singed by it. Her “You can’t see me” taunt in the closing moments of the championship game and her “Bayou Barbie” brand might have opened the door for a host of name, image and likeness deals and exponentially more followers on social media — today’s currency. But some of those new eyeballs peering at the women’s game and its stars were also waiting for Reese to fall. (Or watching to see whether she and her teammates would stand during the national anthem.)
The loss to Iowa didn’t make Reese cry. When she fouled out with less than two minutes to play — after scoring 17 points and pulling down 20 rebounds while hampered by an ankle injury — she was steady and stoic as she walked down the sideline. But while sitting atop a dais and listening to teammates Flau’jae Johnson and then Hailey Van Lith come to her defense, Reese sniffled and wiped away tears.
“I’ve been through so much,” Reese said, her voice breaking. “I’ve seen so much. I’ve been attacked so many times, death threats. I’ve been sexualized, I’ve been threatened, I’ve been so many things, and I’ve stood strong every single time. I just try to stand strong for my teammates because I don’t want them to see me down and not be there for them. I just want them to always just know, like, I’m still a human.”

During this somber news conference, occasionally a swell of cheers carried down the hallway. Another Hawkeye was cutting down the net.

ADVERTISING

The way this game was promoted and anticipated, you might have thought that only Clark would be allowed to touch the scissors. Though Iowa plays fast and delights purists with its buffet of back cuts — just a fun style of basketball — the off-court attention follows Clark, and not so much her teammates. Stars drive leagues, and television ratings, but it seems the networks have little confidence in the attention span of this sport’s newest followers. So little that they lean on the most easily digestible storylines of one player versus another, and blow up antics that happen in the heat of the moment. Other sports have grown accustomed to that game. Women’s basketball is still adjusting.
Still, this rematch lived up to the hype, as a whole and in social media-sized clips. In the rush of the opening quarter, as Iowa and LSU traded threes and momentum, Clark either scored or assisted for 15 of her team’s first 17 points. Her deep shots arrived in stacks, three in the first three minutes of the second half, one shareable snippet after another. Van Lith played the role of unwitting foil when she shrugged hopelessly after Clark raised up in front of her to nail one of her nine three-pointers. Naturally, Van Lith’s dejection trended as a punchline on social media.
But Clark didn’t need to exact revenge by waving her hand over her face, as Reese did to her a year ago in one of the moment’s that elevated last year’s clash into a sensation. Sudeikis handled that. ESPN cameras caught the actor — he’s a supporter of the WNBA’s New York Liberty, not a women’s hoops bandwagoner — as he hit the “You can’t see me” celebration.
Caitlin Clark celebrates with actor Jason Sudeikis. (Sarah Stier/Getty Images)
In the final minute, with Iowa’s victory in hand, Clark was more muted. She quieted the crowd behind the Iowa bench that started a “Let’s Go Hawks!” chant before teammate Sydney Affolter free throws. Later, near the conclusion of her 41-point, 12-assist and seven-rebound masterpiece, Clark made a heart sign gesture toward the crowd, and gave a thumbs up to someone opposite LSU’s bench.

“We didn’t even guard her last year when we beat them,” LSU Coach Kim Mulkey said of Clark. “She’s just a generational player, and she just makes everybody around her better. That’s what the great ones do.”
A generational player on a very good team took down the champs in a prime time game with everyone watching, and everyone commenting, for better or worse. Feels like growth.
Late into the evening, the Hawkeyes — the ones you’ve heard of, and the ones you haven’t — triumphantly climbed that ladder to play with scissors and secure their keepsakes. The most loyal fans waited around to watch. One of them would later trek with her friends to a nearby beer hall, wondering if too many people are now watching. Growth, sometimes, feels scary.

Everyone watches women’s sports. And talks about women’s sports, and posts about women’s sports, and brings their own agenda to the table when it comes to women’s sports. Players who once might have been known only to die-hards instead become targets, characters, even caricatures. These are the growing pains when a game attracts a new legion of fans. They’re still piling onto this speeding bandwagon, and everyone might want to buckle up.

I think it's a fair argument that this Iowa team doesn't make the NCAA tournament (or at least past the 1st round) w/o Clark.

They have good players - solid players no doubt, but she makes everyone so much better with her play.

Past WBB stars on the blue-bloods teams have all had much stronger supporting casts. Caitlin has earned the GOAT honor, just because she has taken a team of good players, and made a few of them very good/great supporting players.

I don't think Sue Bird, or Taurasi or Plum or Stiles or Greiner could make this Iowa team into a Final Four team if they were in Caitlin's position. I can't name any past WBB player that I think could.

I think it's a fair argument that this Iowa team doesn't make the NCAA tournament (or at least past the 1st round) w/o Clark.

They have good players - solid players no doubt, but she makes everyone so much better with her play.

Past WBB stars on the blue-bloods teams have all had much stronger supporting casts. Caitlin has earned the GOAT honor, just because she has taken a team of good players, and made a few of them very good/great supporting players.

I don't think Sue Bird, or Taurasi or Plum or Stiles or Greiner could make this Iowa team into a Final Four team if they were in Caitlin's position. I can't name any past WBB player that I think could.
Huh? They make the tournament without Clark, just like they will next year. Now will they get to the sweet 16, that will be an extremely tough task. With Hannah and Syd you have 2 very strong pieces to build around McCabe can stroke it, need a couple more players to fill in roles.

Huh? They make the tournament without Clark, just like they will next year. Now will they get to the sweet 16, that will be an extremely tough task. With Hannah and Syd you have 2 very strong pieces to build around McCabe can stroke it, need a couple more players to fill in roles.
I think they could take a huge step back.

You can’t judge any of the talent on the floor with Clark playing. She draws so much attention it makes the game easier for the rest. Clark also is likely the best point guard in the country in terms of distributing the ball. Essentially Iowa loses their two best players with just Clark leaving.

Indiana State went 16-11 the year after Larry Bird graduated.

Last edited:

I'm talking this year.

Affolter has grown a bunch in her starting role, but she was a minor role player early in the year.
W/o Clark, they are a good team; but might not be a Tourney team this year. Big Ten had some very solid teams that would have dropped them several places w/o her.

All of those role players have developed a lot around her; I don't see them being must more than a 1st round team w/o Clark in 2023/2024.

Curious, is Gabbie Marshall a thug today? Or is mocking opponents ok again?
Will Ferrell Comedy GIF by filmeditor

So, Iowa does it. Good
LSU does it. Thug
Iowa again. Good.

Just trying to follow along.
Nah, Gabbie just doesn't take disrespect of other players lightly. They her girls.

“Caitlin Clark is a hell of a player for sure, but I don’t take disrespect lightly,” Reese said. “And she disrespected Alexis [Morris] and my girls [from] South Carolina. They’re still my SEC girls, too, y’all not gonna disrespect them either. I wanted to pick her pocket, but I had a moment at the end of the game, that was in my bag.”

She waved goodbye to Reese after she fouled out. A huge nothing burger!
So can someone tell me the rules of when waving makes someone a thug?

It was ok when Clark did it.
It was wrong when Reese did it.
But it's ok that Marshall did it.

At first glance it would seem that it's ok if and Iowa player does it and not when anyone else does it. Or is it ok when white girls do it?
Just trying to figure out when I should be outraged.

Nah, Gabbie just doesn't take disrespect of other players lightly. They her girls.

“Caitlin Clark is a hell of a player for sure, but I don’t take disrespect lightly,” Reese said. “And she disrespected Alexis [Morris] and my girls [from] South Carolina. They’re still my SEC girls, too, y’all not gonna disrespect them either. I wanted to pick her pocket, but I had a moment at the end of the game, that was in my bag.”
Sure, but last year I was told that made her a 'thug'.

At first glance it would seem that it's ok if and Iowa player does it and not when anyone else does it. Or is it ok when white girls do it?

Anyone who thinks what Gabby did last night is equivalent to what Reese did last year is an idiot! Not even remotely the same thing.

Can you identify what makes them different?
Can you provide any examples of anyone on this board calling Reese a ‘thug’?

Because I did a keyword search for the days following last year’s game and didn’t find any examples.

Reactions: Tunadog

Candice Parker prob could.

Can you provide any examples of anyone on this board calling Reese a ‘thug’?

Because I did a keyword search for the days following last year’s game and didn’t find any examples.
The thread where people got very upset with me for asking similar questions appears to have been deleted.
Either that or people were suddenly upset with me for no reason.

I like how you said 'this board', clearly you saw the other posts that still remain.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
@BelemNole is just trolling by ignoring the nuance bc he knows we'll get riled up. he's a real rat bastard SOB. He also won't send me gifts in pokemon go
I honestly don't know what the 'nuances' are besides one doesn't wear an Iowa jersey.

I'll check on the gifts, I don't want any more of those stupid 7k eggs.

Perhaps Gabby not following Reese around the court and taunting?

IIRC, AR was walking toward CC constantly doing the "ring finger" thing.
So...NOT the number of seconds you wave, but how many steps you take?

Just trying to figure out the rules.

I honestly don't know what the 'nuances' are besides one doesn't wear an Iowa jersey.

I'll check on the gifts, I don't want any more of those stupid 7k eggs.
the nuance was clark did the "you can't see me now" wave to her own bench, not an opponent.

Reese followed Clark around trying to get Clark to react. This has been explained to you.

1 was doing it to her own team, 1 was taunting an opponent after a game.

They are not the same.

the nuance was clark did the "you can't see me now" wave to her own bench, not an opponent.

Reese followed Clark around trying to get Clark to react. This has been explained to you.

1 was doing it to her own team, 1 was taunting an opponent after a game.

They are not the same.

I understand that that was last years excuse, but who decided that was true?
And if that's the rule is Gabby a thug this year? Because she was clearly taunting.

I like how you said 'this board', clearly you saw the other posts that still remain.
If you weren’t referring to “this board” when you wrote “Sure, but last year I was told that made her a 'thug'” then what were you referring to? Who specifically told you that Reese was a thug for taunting Clark?

At first I thought you were just playing dumb, now I realize you actually are dumb.

Belem watching last night for anything that he could post about on here to get people arguing with him

200w.gif
I actually didn't watch the game. Wife was watching the Red's game.
Although I did see the terrible call for Reese's 5th foul during a commercial break.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT