ADVERTISEMENT

Clarence Thomas

Hmmm, let's play a second round of WHO SAID THAT?

This time, some context. A post was made chastising Nick Bosa's girlfriend for using the N word. In response, a poster quickly came to his defense, stating:

"Why do we care what some random person this?

People must live pretty pathetic lives to feel the need to start digging through someone’s social media accounts to find something to make an issue out of."

CLICK HERE FOR ANSWER

Reactions: Torg and HawkMD
What I said wasn't racist in the least.

If the robe fits:

Uncle Tom​

noun

Un·cle Tom ˌəŋ-kəl-ˈtäm

1 disparaging : a Black person who is overeager to win the approval of whites (as by obsequious behavior or uncritical acceptance of white values and goals)

2 disparaging : a person who is overly subservient to or cooperative with authority
A white liberal calling a black Supreme Court Justice an uncle Tom. Amazing really how white liberals think isn't it? Malcolm X was absolutely right about people like you

Tell us how it's ok when you use the n word next torbee.

Thomas's argument must be that the vacations were excluded as personal hospitality food, lodging and entertainment. Not saying luxury vacations should not have to be disclosed but the rules give him an argument as to not requiring disclosure:

§ 330.10 Gifts Except as indicated in Guide, Vol. 2D, § 210.30, each financial disclosure report must contain the identity of the source, a brief description, and the value of all gifts aggregating more than $415 in value that are received by the filer during the reporting period from any one source. For in-kind travel-related gifts, include travel locations, dates, and nature of expenses provided. (For exclusions, see: § 330.30.)

§ 330.30 Exclusions (b) Any food, lodging, or entertainment received as “personal hospitality of any individual” (as defined in Guide, Vol. 2D, § 170) need not be reported.
Going ti go ahead and bump this post

Looks like a Supreme Court Justice knows the law just fine.

That is a non-answer.

What is racist about pointing out Clarence Thomas' obvious Uncle Tom behavior?

Dear white people: Stop using the term ‘Uncle Tom’​

You don’t get to decide who’s a race traitor.​

Soon I became more attuned to the use of the term by nonblacks in my daily life and in the media. In 2013, for example, a Democratic Minnesota state representative, Ryan Winkler, referred to U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas as “Uncle Thomas” in a tweet. (Winkler apologized.) In 2016, political blogger Betsy Rothstein called Montel Williams “the Uncle Tom of the 2016 presidential election” for supporting Republican John Kasich. Then, last year, I read Mary Karr’s 2015 nonfiction book, “The Art of Memoir,” whose text contains the following passage about Richard Wright’s 1945 memoir, “Black Boy”: “Wright’s refusal to shuffle Uncle Tom-like down the page trying to cull favor was a revolutionary act at his time in history.” When I complained about this on Facebook, some politically progressive friends said they had used the term themselves — and didn’t see why they shouldn’t continue to do so.

Here are a few reasons white people should steer clear.

The first has to do with an erroneous interpretation of the novel. The original Uncle Tom is, well, no Uncle Tom. Like millions of his real-life counterparts at the time, Tom is enslaved. He also has courage, dignity and a strong sense of what is right. When ordered by his cruel master, Simon Legree, to whip another slave, Tom refuses; he later encourages two other slaves to escape, and when Legree confronts him, asking where they have gone, Tom refuses to reveal their whereabouts, a decision that costs him his life. Tom heartily (but not blindly) embraces Christianity, the religion of his white oppressors; but then so do most of the black Americans I know.
“Uncle Tom’s Cabin,” a bestseller upon its publication, has long been credited with fueling the abolitionist movement (it created a furor among defenders of slavery). In the decades that followed, however, Uncle Tom became associated not with progress but with those who stood in its way. Most famously, in 1920, speaking at the first convention of black nationalist Marcus Garvey’s Universal Negro Improvement Association, the Rev. George Alexander McGuire said that “the Uncle Tom n----- has got to go, and his place must be taken by the new leader of the Negro race . . . not a black man with a white heart, but a black man with a black heart.”
Suddenly, poor Uncle Tom had become a villain, and an insult was born. But as a character on the page, he remains brave, loyal and good. If the character Uncle Tom is guilty of anything, it is being a two-dimensional entity whose purpose is to serve his white creator’s ends: the same sort of nonperson, in other words, that wielders of the term “Uncle Tom” seek to make of the blacks they insult.

What’s more, whites’ good intentions — their impulse to use “Uncle Tom” to castigate internal foes of black progress — blind them to the fact that they are using a term of derision applied almost exclusively to black people, which puts it in the same league as another word. Williams understood this, answering the charge by replying to Rothstein on Twitter: “Why don’t u just stop dancing around it and call me a n**ger?”
Finally, white people have no business trying to police authentic black identity. I am not a black person who shouts “racism” every time the sky clouds over; I don’t make a habit of telling whites what they should and shouldn’t do; and I don’t believe in creating white discomfort for its own sake. But white people simply don’t have any moral authority here. The situations in which blacks are so-called Uncle Toms are ones in which whites will never find themselves: not taking a knee during the national anthem at a football game or continuing to work for a boss who unapologetically uses racial slurs. Confronted with the original Tom’s dilemma or its modern-day equivalent, how would you respond? I like to think I would do what Tom does, but I don’t know for sure, and I’m guessing that is true for most people.

He and his wife are just gross, gross people.

The utter irony to me is THIS is the type of shit people mean when they talk about the D.C. "swamp" ---- but somehow Thomas is a hero to the people that use the "drain the swamp" phrase the most.

Ironic, but also indicative of the near-impossibility of actually cleaning up our political problems.
Until something truly disgusting happens, to shock right wing voters back into reality, and understanding the type of crooks they have been supporting, nothing is going to change. I don't know what it would take for them to vote against clearly self serving, lying, batshit crazy leaders. The same people who would vote for Ted Cruz, who ditched his state in a crisis, despise AOC, who helped raise over a million dollars for people in Cruz' state. Bad human vs. Good human. Republicans choose bad human constantly.

I point to those with the laughing emojis to indictments and arrests in POTUS administrations dating back to Nixon. Both sides!! Nope. That's false and the numbers point it out.

A white liberal calling a black Supreme Court Justice an uncle Tom. Amazing really how white liberals think isn't it? Malcolm X was absolutely right about people like you

jesus, let's not go off the deep end.

What I do find rich: we expect the supreme court and judges to not accept gifts but senators and congressman are beating down the doors to get to washington to cash in. Maybe they should be banned for all government officials. life in prison for accepting bribes/cash.

What I do find rich: we expect the supreme court and judges to not accept gifts but senators and congressman are beating down the doors to get to washington to cash in. Maybe they should be banned for all government officials. life in prison for accepting bribes/cash.
He called a black person that is easily one of the most prominent people in our country's history an uncle Tom. It would have been less offensive for him to use the n word. So not off the deep end

The behavior in question is specifically excluded from disclosure under the law. They sort of left that part out...

Let me break this down so simply even someone like you can understand.

This story -- and the "portrait" I alluded to -- clearly demonstrate that Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas is both a "Black person who is overeager to win the approval of whites (as by obsequious behavior or uncritical acceptance of white values and goals." and "a person who is overly subservient to or cooperative with authority."

Those two definitions also happen to be, verbatim, the definition of the noun "Uncle Tom" in the Merriam-Webster dictionary: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dic...1 of 2-,noun,to or cooperative with authority

So, no, not racist.

Fact.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkMD and ICHerky
He called a black person that is easily one of the most prominent people in our country's history an uncle Tom. It would have been less offensive for him to use the n word. So not off the deep end
no it wouldn't have been. one is far worse.

Dear white people: Stop using the term ‘Uncle Tom’​

You don’t get to decide who’s a race traitor.​

Soon I became more attuned to the use of the term by nonblacks in my daily life and in the media. In 2013, for example, a Democratic Minnesota state representative, Ryan Winkler, referred to U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas as “Uncle Thomas” in a tweet. (Winkler apologized.) In 2016, political blogger Betsy Rothstein called Montel Williams “the Uncle Tom of the 2016 presidential election” for supporting Republican John Kasich. Then, last year, I read Mary Karr’s 2015 nonfiction book, “The Art of Memoir,” whose text contains the following passage about Richard Wright’s 1945 memoir, “Black Boy”: “Wright’s refusal to shuffle Uncle Tom-like down the page trying to cull favor was a revolutionary act at his time in history.” When I complained about this on Facebook, some politically progressive friends said they had used the term themselves — and didn’t see why they shouldn’t continue to do so.

Here are a few reasons white people should steer clear.

The first has to do with an erroneous interpretation of the novel. The original Uncle Tom is, well, no Uncle Tom. Like millions of his real-life counterparts at the time, Tom is enslaved. He also has courage, dignity and a strong sense of what is right. When ordered by his cruel master, Simon Legree, to whip another slave, Tom refuses; he later encourages two other slaves to escape, and when Legree confronts him, asking where they have gone, Tom refuses to reveal their whereabouts, a decision that costs him his life. Tom heartily (but not blindly) embraces Christianity, the religion of his white oppressors; but then so do most of the black Americans I know.
“Uncle Tom’s Cabin,” a bestseller upon its publication, has long been credited with fueling the abolitionist movement (it created a furor among defenders of slavery). In the decades that followed, however, Uncle Tom became associated not with progress but with those who stood in its way. Most famously, in 1920, speaking at the first convention of black nationalist Marcus Garvey’s Universal Negro Improvement Association, the Rev. George Alexander McGuire said that “the Uncle Tom n----- has got to go, and his place must be taken by the new leader of the Negro race . . . not a black man with a white heart, but a black man with a black heart.”
Suddenly, poor Uncle Tom had become a villain, and an insult was born. But as a character on the page, he remains brave, loyal and good. If the character Uncle Tom is guilty of anything, it is being a two-dimensional entity whose purpose is to serve his white creator’s ends: the same sort of nonperson, in other words, that wielders of the term “Uncle Tom” seek to make of the blacks they insult.

What’s more, whites’ good intentions — their impulse to use “Uncle Tom” to castigate internal foes of black progress — blind them to the fact that they are using a term of derision applied almost exclusively to black people, which puts it in the same league as another word. Williams understood this, answering the charge by replying to Rothstein on Twitter: “Why don’t u just stop dancing around it and call me a n**ger?”
Finally, white people have no business trying to police authentic black identity. I am not a black person who shouts “racism” every time the sky clouds over; I don’t make a habit of telling whites what they should and shouldn’t do; and I don’t believe in creating white discomfort for its own sake. But white people simply don’t have any moral authority here. The situations in which blacks are so-called Uncle Toms are ones in which whites will never find themselves: not taking a knee during the national anthem at a football game or continuing to work for a boss who unapologetically uses racial slurs. Confronted with the original Tom’s dilemma or its modern-day equivalent, how would you respond? I like to think I would do what Tom does, but I don’t know for sure, and I’m guessing that is true for most people.

Hey, at least you had the ability to try and find a justification. Interestingly, their argument seems to lean more heavily on it being a slight to the literary character than anything.

I will say that I wholeheartedly disagree with my fellow progressive, quoted here, on this issue.

Also, aren't you one of the posters who is always getting pissy about watering down language to appease the politically correct crowd? I guess that tenet doesn't apply for you in this case? Why is that?

Reactions: nelly02 and HawkMD
Hmmm, let's play WHO SAID THAT, Round 3!

You use the word racist as a club to silence and signal your virtue. It is all about you and it a sad display of ignorance and dishonesty all rolled into one small minded package.

CLICK HERE TO SEE WHO SAID THAT!

Reactions: nelly02 and HawkMD
Let me break this down so simply even someone like you can understand.

This story -- and the "portrait" I alluded to -- clearly demonstrate that Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas is both a "Black person who is overeager to win the approval of whites (as by obsequious behavior or uncritical acceptance of white values and goals." and "a person who is overly subservient to or cooperative with authority."

Those two definitions also happen to be, verbatim, the definition of the noun "Uncle Tom" in the Merriam-Webster dictionary: https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/Uncle Tom#:~:text=1 of 2-,noun,to or cooperative with authority

So, no, not racist.

Fact.
sorry while it's not as bad as the n word, try using it on a black person and see how it goes. also fact.
would you want to debate with a black person the etymology of the n word and explain that negro just means black.

Hey, at least you had the ability to try and find a justification.

I will say that I wholeheartedly disagree with my fellow progressive, quoted here, on this issue.

Also, aren't you one of the posters who is always getting pissy about watering down language to appease the politically correct crowd? I guess that tenet doesn't apply for you in this case? Why is that?
Good point. I do think there are some words that are off limits and racist. N word being number one.

I think Uncle Tom is a little problematic but not to the level of being "off limits" racist.

I can understand the writers point of view though.

The problem I have with "watering down" the language is more in regard to situations like Lisa Bluder using the analogy "Bar fight" and the SC coach making it racial.

Basically in regards to "Uncle Tom" it's a term used specifically against blacks....while "bar fight" isn't.

Reactions: Ree4 and torbee
Eat shit.

Clark fits the Merriam-Webster definition TO A T.

And you are butthurt about it being called out. Go cry somewhere else.

Called out? What was I called out for?🤣

And I’m not crying, doesn’t affect me. I’ll admit to be mildly disappointed. I knew you were a mindless lib but never realized what a racist pos you’ve become, or maybe always has been🤷‍♂️

Reactions: hawkedoff
Called out? What was I called out for?🤣

And I’m not crying, doesn’t affect me. I’ll admit to be mildly disappointed. I knew you were a mindless lib but never realized what a racist pos you’ve become, or maybe always has been🤷‍♂️
You use the word racist as a club to silence and signal your virtue. It is all about you and it a sad display of ignorance and dishonesty all rolled into one small minded package.

You are such a pathetic hypocrite 😂 😂 😂

You are such a pathetic hypocrite 😂 😂 😂

If you believing all your own spin makes you feel better about being a racist pos then keep spinning away.

Good point. I do think there are some words that are off limits and racist. N word being number one.

I think Uncle Tom is a little problematic but not to the level of being "off limits" racist.

I can understand the writers point of view though.

The problem I have with "watering down" the language is more in regard to situations like Lisa Bluder using the analogy "Bar fight" and the SC coach making it racial.

Basically in regards to "Uncle Tom" it's a term used specifically against blacks....while "bar fight" isn't.

A white person calling a black person Uncle Tom is inherently pretty racist. Even using the dictionary definition (as if something having a definition prevents it be being used in a racist manner--it doesn't) requires that the person using the slur assume that the black person's motivations could only be to win the approval of whites, and not because of their personal ability to think for themselves and trust their own morals, judgements and thought processes. That seems racist. Very problematic IMO.

A white person calling a black person Uncle Tom is inherently pretty racist. Even using the dictionary definition (as if something having a definition prevents it be being used in a racist manner--it doesn't) requires that the person using the slur assume that the black person's motivations could only be to win the approval of whites, and not because of their personal ability to think for themselves and trust their own morals, judgements and thought processes. That seems racist. Very problematic IMO.
I'd put it more in the "racially insensitive" category than "racist".

I think there has to be intent to be "racist". Torbee obviously didn't have a racist intent.

I think "intent" is incorrectly over looked when the word "racist" get's thrown around. To me it's a key ingredient if we're going to call someone racist...

This doesn’t seem to be new or exclusive to any one Justice.

"The justices do not have to disclose the costs of their reimbursed travels"

Not seeing "vacations" in there, anywhere.

Give me a break. It has everything to do with the fact that for several decades, Clarence Thomas' behavior and contempt of his fellow Americans shows very clearly NO ONE should trust his "morals, judgements and thought processes" and that he is completely beholden to his rich, white benefactors.

Why do you think so many public figures have publicly called him an Uncle Tom?

I'd put it more in the "racially insensitive" category than "racist".

I think there has to be intent to be "racist". Torbee obviously didn't have a racist intent.

I think "intent" is incorrectly over looked when the word "racist" get's thrown around. To me it's a key ingredient if we're going to call someone racist...
And the HILARIOUS thing is Hawkedoff and IC Herky are always among the first to make that exact same point in thread after thread after thread after thread (some of which I've linked in this thread).

But someone had the audacity to chastise one of their heroes, so now they are engaging in the behavior they have previously condemned.

As I said - pathetic hypocrites.

There seems to me like a lot of right wing hypocrisy on here, so i looked up "hypocrisy" and it says:

When one political party is ok with white cops killing black men/women and then are upset when the blacks riot, but are ok when white men/women try to over through our government resulting in 150 injuries and deaths.

Reactions: Ree4
As someone in an article about this said:

Replace Thomas with Sotomayer or Kagen. And replace Harlan Crow with George Soros.

Reactions: BelemNole
I see yhe gaslighters and torbee jock riders are out in full force. A lily white liberal named torbee calls ine if the most accomplished black men in our history an uncle Tom and other whiteys of the liberal persuasion fall all over themselves to defend the racist that is torbee. Pretty disgusting behavior.

Give me a break. It has everything to do with the fact that for several decades, Clarence Thomas' behavior and contempt of his fellow Americans shows very clearly NO ONE should trust his "morals, judgements and thought processes" and that he is completely beholden to his rich, white benefactors.

Why do you think so many public figures have publicly called him an Uncle Tom?
Because they are racist? Like you?

I see yhe gaslighters and torbee jock riders are out in full force. A lily white liberal named torbee calls ine if the most accomplished black men in our history an uncle Tom and other whiteys of the liberal persuasion fall all over themselves to defend the racist that is torbee. Pretty disgusting behavior.
giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT