ADVERTISEMENT

Clark

Nice try not what you said which is what I responding to. Think back about Johnny football mania. Arguably actually not the second most popular sport. Think hard. It isn’t tough. The coverage he got and still gets isn’t close. Sorry about you being so wrong.
Sorry, but your out of your F---ing mind. HOW did Johnny mania change the WAY people thought about college football? Think hard? Doh.. College football in the USA has been a huge deal for decades. Google attendance, and TV viewership for womens college basketball EVER and then look at the last two years, and then look at ANY game Clark plays in. Think hard. So EVERY media outlet is fighting tooth and nail to land the games she plays in, EVERY arena she plays in sells out when they are 3/4 empty when she's not there? Were people from 80 to 4 yrs old standing out side for hours to get in in the freaking cold to see dumb ass Johnny? I think not.

It is the Connor McCaffrey Effect. No one whined and bitched more about nothing than that guy. Dating Caitlin.. it must be rubbing off.

Reactions: dekhawk
Too many times I think she has been forcing her shot and not taking high percentage threes. She is a great shooter, but just needs to allow herself to get in the flow of the game and not try to do too much. She has a pretty damn good supporting cast that can shoot.
This

It's true. Today wasn't Caitlin's best look. No doubt about that. But before we crucify a 22-year-old basketball player who has been a fantastic role model throughout her college career, maybe a little context is in order.

* Caitlin has been the most scrutinized college athlete since . . .
* She is being talked about by tens of millions of sentient beings all over the planet.
* She's been interviewed on TV, on radio, on podcasts, by print media . . . anyone and everyone who's anybody.
* She appears in commercials and signs autographs all over the place.
* She has broken almost every record there is and won almost every award there is.
* She knows that many people are saying her legacy won't be the same unless Iowa wins that national title, as if one player can just make that happen.
* On her worst day, Caitlin Clark is still head and shoulders above the gals from South Carolina, LSU, USC et al. For instance, Caitlin hasn't landed a right jab on anyone's jaw, she hasn't pulled an opponent's hair while they were rebounding, and she hasn't started or participated in a brawl. (Those who have done these things, and more, can be found on YouTube.)

Caitlin's body language today was unusual from the start. She seemed to be really tightly wound, and then she took a nasty elbow to the face, which didn't help her attitude. Her shots weren't falling, and I think it all caught up with her. Can you even imagine the pressure she's been under for months and years? No, no you can't.

Caitlin doesn't need me or anyone else to apologize for her. But I am happy to suggest people back off and show some empathy.

I was disappointed to see the Caitlin we saw today, but given the reality of things, it probably had to happen at some point. Might as well let it happen today and get it over with.

And again, if the top players from other top programs looked like Caitlin did today, it would be one of their best days. Caitlin has set the bar very high. Today she didn't meet her own standards. My advice: get over it. And look out the rest of the way.
Real pressure is raising 2 kids and living paycheck to paycheck.

Too many times I think she has been forcing her shot and not taking high percentage threes. She is a great shooter, but just needs to allow herself to get in the flow of the game and not try to do too much. She has a pretty damn good supporting cast that can shoot.
This.

The pressure may be getting to her. She is expected to put up big numbers every game and hit logo 3's. She seems to be forcing things in order to live up to expectations and is not shooting well. At this point, her focus should be on getting wins for the team, not individual stats.

And she needs to stop complaining. I hope her dad talks to her about that after her embarrassing antics yesterday.

That’s not how it works. Watch it again if you can. I’m not being a homer. The girl jumped sideways initiating contact. Honestly that might have been the only call Caitlin griped about that I agreed with. :D
That was the worst call of the day and think the refs tired of her whining and complaining and stopped giving her calls. It seemed they actually were calling the opposite of what it should have been due to her non stop complaining to them.

You know it’s bad when you see her Dad be very demonstrative about her actions. I’ve never seen BC say shut up, God, take her out, etc and he was correct. She needed an attitude adjustment on the bench by LB telling her to chill a bit and just play, don’t worry about the calls.

But I also understand her frustration with the non stop fouls she endures every game. HC was bumping, hitting, and running into her every chance they got if she had or didn’t have the ball. The refs did a horrible job of managing the game and the amount of off the ball hits they allowed on CC22 and other Iowa players. Kate Martin got leveled a couple times after passing the ball. This is the way other teams are going to play Iowa through the tourney by hitting, banging, and fouling them hard to throw them off their game and until the refs take control of the game which they never did yesterday and allowed too much physical play by HC. And when Iowa responded, foul on Iowa. Seems like there are two sets of calls when Iowa responds to being beat and banged on constantly.

Hope they can continue to win but you never know when the end will occur for us watching CC22 in an Iowa jersey. Enjoy it and Go Hawks.

That was the worst call of the day and think the refs tired of her whining and complaining and stopped giving her calls. It seemed they actually were calling the opposite of what it should have been due to her non stop complaining to them.

You know it’s bad when you see her Dad be very demonstrative about her actions. I’ve never seen BC say shut up, God, take her out, etc and he was correct. She needed an attitude adjustment on the bench by LB telling her to chill a bit and just play, don’t worry about the calls.

But I also understand her frustration with the non stop fouls she endures every game. HC was bumping, hitting, and running into her every chance they got if she had or didn’t have the ball. The refs did a horrible job of managing the game and the amount of off the ball hits they allowed on CC22 and other Iowa players. Kate Martin got leveled a couple times after passing the ball. This is the way other teams are going to play Iowa through the tourney by hitting, banging, and fouling them hard to throw them off their game and until the refs take control of the game which they never did yesterday and allowed too much physical play by HC. And when Iowa responded, foul on Iowa. Seems like there are two sets of calls when Iowa responds to being beat and banged on constantly.

Hope they can continue to win but you never know when the end will occur for us watching CC22 in an Iowa jersey. Enjoy it and Go Hawks.
The aggressive play against Clark with no consequences (fouls) is just going to get worse each game.

the last few games she's not having fun. ironically she's said after declaring for the wnba that she was looking forward to just playing with her best friends. The rest of them are enjoying things.
Again, I really think that its the finaility that decision caused which caught up with her. NOW she realizes that her next loss will the last game she ever plays at Iowa with her friends. There's no going back now. Hopefully she got that out of her system. I have no doubt that there was a conversation with Dad last night, and some tough love and support.

Ever since reading about her struggling with migraines a lot, I kind of wonder if that’s what’s happening when we see her have an “off” night. Someone in the Reddit thread said they suffer migraines and Clark’s first half had similar symptoms at least

She should know that everyone will be defending her with the Izzo method, beating the s*** out of her and daring the officials to keep blowing the whistle. It will get worse than it was yesterday. She needs to focus on getting her teammates going early. When Jordan learned to do that, the Bulls became consistent winners. She also needs to let the officials see all of the off-the-ball contact. It will make her more likely to get the calls for the contact when she has the ball.

The powers to-be are going to do everything they can to eliminate Iowa. Started with the bracket/seeding and the refs will finish the job just like last year. Hopefully none of the Iowa players are injured seriously. JMO

Not long after that exchange with the official she picked up a rather suspect charge call...
She ran over the opponent….it was a charge all the way………but that stuff happens.
But honestly, NONE of us can imagine what #22 has gone through the last few months….the “pressure” of being her, one can only imagine…..and none of us here has a clue. The price of “stardom” is constant public scrutiny and idiots like all of us telling others what she is doing wrong…….And remember, just because she is “a star”…..she never asked for our help.

I'm a huge Caitlin Clark fan. I sincerely believe that she alone has done more to change the trajectory of women's college basketball more than any other in history. With that said, she is not above reproach. Nobody is. Everyone here was aghast at how Reece carried on after last year's game and rightfully so. She embarrassed herself.

CC embarrassed herself yesterday and when she does that she diminishes what she's accomplished. She needs to step up, not physically, but emotionally and show some maturity, for herself, the team, and women's basketball. It's at least as important as her 3 point shot.

I'm a huge Caitlin Clark fan. I sincerely believe that she alone has done more to change the trajectory of women's college basketball more than any other in history. With that said, she is not above reproach. Nobody is. Everyone here was aghast at how Reece carried on after last year's game and rightfully so. She embarrassed herself.

CC embarrassed herself yesterday and when she does that she diminishes what she's accomplished. She needs to step up, not physically, but emotionally and show some maturity, for herself, the team, and women's basketball. It's at least as important as her 3 point shot.
While I agree, I think its worth mentioning. About a month ago several players got a bug or food poisoning (supposedly). Players including MD and CC. Molly played about three minutes in the next two games total. Clark played a fairly normal minutes. The migraine thing has been mentioned numerous times. Yesterday Hannah struggled early and then didn't play at all in the 2nd half, which Lisa confirmed because of migraines. So Clark has one and she does what she always does, shows up and pushes through. She feels an overwhelming responcibility to show up, no matter what. She's commented in some of these stories about the pressure to ALWAYS be on her game. Toward the end of all the national awards last year she was to go to New York to receive the Sullivan award as the nations top amateur athlete, (if there is such a thing as amateur anymore). She asked if they could just send it to her, because she just couldn't make another such trip. Of course she went. She had to represent. I hope she can take a breath, and "clear the mechanism", (from a quote of one of my favorite movies, For the Love of the game).

Lot of people in here seemingly disappointed that Clark isn't always Iowa Nice. All our sports programs need more athletes like her.

Reactions: Chuck C

Your comments were spot on. Her out-of-control conduct yesterday not only diminishes her many accomplishments but also was greatly unfair to her teammates and coaches. Perhaps some anger management counseling is in order.

Your comments were spot on. Her out-of-control conduct yesterday not only diminishes her many accomplishments but also was greatly unfair to her teammates and coaches. Perhaps some anger management counseling is in order.
She's been under guidance the last couple of years. This was set up by Lisa I believe. When the team was struggling in the middle of last season there was a lot of anger (most by CC about having to carry the team most nights) and Lisa brought in a phycologist to work with her, and they had sessions with her and the whole team. There were some very revealing videos of this earlier this year, and it seemed to help greatly.

I'm not a fan of saying that this stuff "diminishes her accomplishments" Just not. I mean Jordan was a gambling, cheating asshole, hated by most. Did that diminish what he did. Same for Tiger Woods who had his own demons. What we've seen from Clark is kid stuff compared to the actions of many of the really biggest names. We're ALL just too close to this to see where she is in the big picture, and its upsetting because we've all come to care about her and her team mates, and her legacy as a Hawkeye...

She's been under guidance the last couple of years. This was set up by Lisa I believe. When the team was struggling in the middle of last season there was a lot of anger (most by CC about having to carry the team most nights) and Lisa brought in a phycologist to work with her, and they had sessions with her and the whole team. There were some very revealing videos of this earlier this year, and it seemed to help greatly.

I'm not a fan of saying that this stuff "diminishes her accomplishments" Just not. I mean Jordan was a gambling, cheating asshole, hated by most. Did that diminish what he did. Same for Tiger Woods who had his own demons. What we've seen from Clark is kid stuff compared to the actions of many of the really biggest names. We're ALL just too close to this to see where she is in the big picture, and its upsetting because we've all come to care about her and her team mates, and her legacy as a Hawkeye...
I'm afraid of a more severe meltdown that is totally diminishing of her accomplishments. I hope not

Won't disagree. Never said a bad word about her before today. She's a generational talent and I'm sure an amazing person, but her demeanor today was completely offputting and I changed the channel. The game was over anyways, so it didn't really matter.
Getting slugged in the face will do that to a person.

CC is feeling the pressure, which only built up over the long layoff. She was lucky not to have gotten a T with the head-ball thing, but I’m sure she feels embarrassed she did that. She knows. No one has to tell her she can’t do stuff like that all tournament

She needs to let the game come to her, she’s forcing shots to prove something right now (to herself, to refs, and to doubters). She needs to understand that the more she complains, the fewer borderline calls she’ll get (like the charge, which was a bad call)

I trust that Lisa Bluder and Caitlin’s dad will be able to tell her these things, and that she will listen and make a change. I’m only glad her meltdown came against Holy Cross, and not in a close game

I think we will see a different Caitlin Clark tomorrow night, I really do

West Virginia will bloody our guards. I just hope the fouls are called or it will be a long night.

While I agree, I think its worth mentioning. About a month ago several players got a bug or food poisoning (supposedly). Players including MD and CC. Molly played about three minutes in the next two games total. Clark played a fairly normal minutes. The migraine thing has been mentioned numerous times. Yesterday Hannah struggled early and then didn't play at all in the 2nd half, which Lisa confirmed because of migraines. So Clark has one and she does what she always does, shows up and pushes through. She feels an overwhelming responcibility to show up, no matter what. She's commented in some of these stories about the pressure to ALWAYS be on her game. Toward the end of all the national awards last year she was to go to New York to receive the Sullivan award as the nations top amateur athlete, (if there is such a thing as amateur anymore). She asked if they could just send it to her, because she just couldn't make another such trip. Of course she went. She had to represent. I hope she can take a breath, and "clear the mechanism", (from a quote of one of my favorite movies, For the Love of the game).
I get goose bumps every time at the end of that film.

Reactions: harvester77
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT