ADVERTISEMENT

Cutting jobless benefits didn't work in Missouri, either.

This is wrong. Manufacturing companies are having a hard time. Our minimum is $16/hour just for assembly, shipping, receiving, warehouse, higher for jobs with skills needed , machining, weld etc., great benefits, opportunity for advancement. Benefits include $30k undergrad and another $30k masters, 401k matching and contributions (match, safe harbor, deferred profit sharing) has been 10%+ every year.

We’re trying to hit record production rates but hard to when we can’t hire enough people and suppliers can’t either so struggling to get parts. Heck temps are starting at $15.25 minimum and are being converted quickly if they show they can show up every day.
I think you’re missing what a lot of people learned in the pandemic and who are looking for jobs. I lost my job... I started a new one last September, but I made sure they were there to convince me to join them and not vice versa.

Look at my situation: If necessary, my family could live off just my wife’s salary and she has good benefits. So most of the things you list above don’t appeal to me: I don’t need healthcare, I already paid off my college, I know if I worked for you it would be temporary, so forget retirement.

So all you’re really offering is $16/hour. So about $2500/month and $2000 after taxes. Then keep in mind I’ll have to start paying childcare (we pay $200/week for 1 kid, imagine if I had 3), gas, etc. So really your only appeal is about $1000/month in spending money. No offense, but I’m assuming assembly work is physical, crappy work. No way am I tearing apart my body and losing time with my family for $1000/month. I’d rather stay home and make $0 and wait for something in my field.

For example in our immediate area of Muscatine? I already know not many will drive from QC, IC etc. for hourly jobs.
No, but I bet some people in Muscatine will drive to the QC or IC for similar jobs that pay more than yours. Your "market" comparison needs to include the larger metros near you as well.

Reactions: RileyHawk
Yep, probably be $20 by August. After they trade off a few guys. Merrifield, Santana, Salvy, Duffy all should be traded.
I think we are going to go on Sunday. We can get great lower level seats for $40. Our 5-year old has a bunch of Royals gear and she loves going. Baby brother arrives two weeks from this coming Monday so it's probably our last shot for awhile.

Why do you assume it’s society? The post the other day showed graphs where in states that stopped benefits only about 1000/state then went and found jobs.

I think a lot of people saw what life was like without the work grind/commute, loved it, and are finding other ways to get by: doing with less, starting their own business, onlyfans, whatever.

I think a lot of people also realized after you take out costs for childcare, gas, etc... that they weren’t making that much. I think the shift to fewer families with both parents working isn’t going to revert any time soon.
So there should be no problem cutting off the supply of extra unemployment benefits since they don’t want to work. Many probably aren’t getting it anyways as they’re part of the reason the labor participation rate is down. More power to them. Just don’t want any complaints when prices go up and supply is down.

It needs to be forced as long as there are lots of jobs going unfilled.
Shouldn’t we also be making an effort to figure out why they’re going unfilled? Just seems like everyone is assuming this is a simple unemployment is up, places are hiring, ergo unemployment should be falling.

I don’t pretend to have more than a basic understanding of economics, but I’m pretty sure it’s more complicated than that.

Shouldn’t we also be making an effort to figure out why they’re going unfilled? Just seems like everyone is assuming this is a simple unemployment is up, places are hiring, ergo unemployment should be falling.

I don’t pretend to have more than a basic understanding of economics, but I’m pretty sure it’s more complicated than that.

I would agree.

Only thing I do know, is that this is going to kill the supply chain, and the 2nd half of this year, may be a struggle

I think you’re missing what a lot of people learned in the pandemic and who are looking for jobs. I lost my job... I started a new one last September, but I made sure they were there to convince me to join them and not vice versa.

Look at my situation: If necessary, my family could live off just my wife’s salary and she has good benefits. So most of the things you list above don’t appeal to me: I don’t need healthcare, I already paid off my college, I know if I worked for you it would be temporary, so forget retirement.

So all you’re really offering is $16/hour. So about $2500/month and $2000 after taxes. Then keep in mind I’ll have to start paying childcare (we pay $200/week for 1 kid, imagine if I had 3), gas, etc. So really your only appeal is about $1000/month in spending money. No offense, but I’m assuming assembly work is physical, crappy work. No way am I tearing apart my body and losing time with my family for $1000/month. I’d rather stay home and make $0 and wait for something in my field.
You’re wrong on many fronts. We’re hiring full-time. If you’re hired as a temp and can make it 30 days you’ll most likely be converted to full-time. Also, I assume you wouldn’t be applying for an hourly job, those are the ones who would use the education more m, or salary for the masters program.

Good for you that you can stay home and live off your spouses income. That isn’t the case for many unless they’re on government benefits, too. Or the single parents. Not all situations are identical.

• Haha
I would agree.

Only thing I do know, is that this is going to kill the supply chain, and the 2nd half of this year, may be a struggle
I pretty much expect the economy to be up and down the next few months before ultimately seeing a gradual improvement overall. It’s just perplexing that so many people apparently thought the economy would bounce back overnight and are shocked it’s not that simple.

Unemployment is going up slightly now as some are re-entering the job market after leaving it. They were part of reason for the labor participation rate going down. With unemployment benefits ending they’ll start to re-enter the market. It’s not the only fix, but it isn’t going to hurt.

Lol. Clearly you have no idea how jobs work. Each worker has a specific skillset and specific hours and locations that they can work out of. Finding suitable jobs to fulfill these requirements takes time. If you try shoehorning a worker into a job they aren't suited for, they will wind up leaving it. And then you will have wasted everyone's time and resources.

And once again, the reason why we need extra benefits is because the entire job market was upended due to covid. This is just a measure to give help to those who have been affected.

Your statement of the nonsense quoted above indicates one of the following: you are extremely naive, a complete idiot, or a troll.

No, but I bet some people in Muscatine will drive to the QC or IC for similar jobs that pay more than yours. Your "market" comparison needs to include the larger metros near you as well.
Need to factor in cost of transportation, time spent traveling which could mean kids are in daycare for an extra 1-2 hours per day. You’re right, that some travel and that’s what they need to weigh.

So society should just pay them to stay home and get a free ride?
I never said that....never! BUT I did say that the shotgun approach that it is the governments fault is quite probably bullshit fear mongering from the right. People change their minds.....and perhaps over the past year, they have realigned some of their priorities?? But the "entrepeneurial class" here wastes no time blaming "the government" when in reality, half of the blame rests squarely on them.

I never said that....never! BUT I did say that the shotgun approach that it is the governments fault is quite probably bullshit fear mongering from the right. People change their minds.....and perhaps over the past year, they have realigned some of their priorities?? But the "entrepeneurial class" here wastes no time blaming "the government" when in reality, half of the blame rests squarely on them.
No, goverment always deserves the blame.

Nope. The reason is pretty clear. Each person has their own circumstances, and have to weigh their own decisions. The unemployment rate is roughly 2% higher than what is considered full employment, and that doesn't even factor the Labor Participation Rate. Extra benefits were there for those forced out of jobs. In most places, that's not been a factor for at least the last 3 months.

It will surely sound harsh to you, but IMO, people need to work when jobs are available. Some might need to take a step back. Some might need to take jobs they don't like, or learn a new skill set.

I believe in safety nets. Safety nets shouldn't be permanent for those who are capable of supporting themselves. Safety nets also shouldn't amount to a more comfortable standard of living than a person would have by working.

People having a good work ethic often don't understand the mindset of those who don't have a good work ethic. There will be comments about how people can't live on x amount of dollars. If you actually went out and talked to people who live off handouts, you might be surprised at their mindset, and how resourceful they are at collecting benefits.

I think everything you said is fair & reasonable, right up until the very last sentence.

"I’d rather stay home and make $0 and wait for something in my field."

We have those in this very thread advocating that the taxpayer should be giving you $900/week to patiently wait for a job you view as acceptable. THAT's the part that basically all of us are quibbling with.

Kim broke the most fundamental rule in government. If the federal government is willing to hand over monetary resources for you to utilize and infuse into your state and local economies, you take it and run with it. You're an absolute fool not to.

Does everyone realize the amount of times that extra money would have churned through our local economies? Foolish decision on her part. You can try to justify it in some way from here to eternity, but that money in people's pockets would have helped a lot in getting our overall state economy back on track. But instead we are lagging behind in comparison to most of other states and that's a part of the reason why. Instead she decided to take some twisted moral stand and use a whip to try and punish people to try and raise the employment numbers and to date, her gamble hasn't paid off. She's the biggest fish at the poker table now.

Last edited:
Kim broke the most fundamental rule in government. If the federal government is willing to hand over monetary resources for you to utilize and infuse into your state and local economies, you take it and run with it. You're an absolute fool not to.

Does everyone realize the amount of times that extra money would have churned through our local economies? Foolish decision on her part. You can try to justify it in some way from here to eternity, but that money in people's pockets would have helped a lot in getting our overall state economy back on track. But instead we are lagging behind in comparison to most of other states and that's a part of the reason why. Instead she decided to take some twisted moral stand and use a whip to try and punish people to try and raise the employment numbers and to date, her gamble hasn't paid off. She's the biggest fish at the poker table now.
I think the $15k a family of 4 received (including enhanced child tax credit) is enough. A little less if kids are 6-17 with child tax credit.

• Haha
Kim broke the most fundamental rule in government. If the federal government is willing to hand over monetary resources for you to utilize and infuse into your state and local economies, you take it and run with it. Your an absolute fool not to.

Who here has ever accused Kim...or Iowa Republicans of "being smart"? That ain't. They live under a preconceived notion of what America/ Iowa is......and this notion of theirs has NEVER existed. But it is what they have chosen to believe.
Reynolds was foolish for turning in the stimulus money.....It's like a lawyer once told me when my ex gave me a check for something I didn't believe I had coming.....he said, "Take it, cash it....if they want it back, they will ask. Enjoy the good times!"
Not saying whether the size of the stimulus was right or not......just sayin'.........

Reactions: sob5
Lol. Clearly you have no idea how jobs work. Each worker has a specific skillset and specific hours and locations that they can work out of. Finding suitable jobs to fulfill these requirements takes time. If you try shoehorning a worker into a job they aren't suited for, they will wind up leaving it. And then you will have wasted everyone's time and resources.

And once again, the reason why we need extra benefits is because the entire job market was upended due to covid. This is just a measure to give help to those who have been affected.
noticed you said “ we need extra benefits.” You one of those that want free money and sit back and watch the rest of us work? There’s plenty of good jobs out there, no one needs to sit on their ass. Consider a career change.

I think the $15k a family of 4 received (including enhanced child tax credit) is enough. A little less if kids are 6-17 with child tax credit.
What you believe is "enough" is irrelevant. That money will now never have it's intended economic effect within our borders and our local and state economies are poorer due to that decision because a similar thinking person is our current governor.

I think everything you said is fair & reasonable, right up until the very last sentence.

"I’d rather stay home and make $0 and wait for something in my field."

We have those in this very thread advocating that the taxpayer should be giving you $900/week to patiently wait for a job you view as acceptable. THAT's the part that basically all of us are quibbling with.
I wont say that we should keep paying those doing that, but i think Pings comments help explain why some people may not be flooding into the workforce (especially since Iowas extra COVID money ended a few weeks ago) as opposed to the “tHeY dOnT wAnNa WuRk bECuZ lAyzeE” rhetoric a lot of people like to throw out.

i think if you want to work, and are able to work at this point it is dumb to ride out the unemployment. Those people who do that are too short sighted to strike while wages are high. I think a lot of people are going to regret riding out unemployment when more people get out there and employers can lower wages and be a little more choosy as far as who they can hire.

It is stupid. Rs promised that cutting bennies would force people into work. It didn't. It was a misguided notion that had less to do with reality and more to do with wanting to stick it to working class people and denying Biden any sort of wins.
Working class people that dont want to work?

I believe social media has a little bit to do with this and how people perceive yourself. During the pandemic there were a lot of day trading from home, get rich quick schemes for people to try and get rich. The GameStop fad. People want to be apart of the cool kids club and not work the hard, manual labor jobs. Hell, working a cashier job at Casey's or QuikTrip is probably a cooler job than working in manufacturing. Have you seen the employees at QuikTrip? They seem like smart, intelligent people. They get to talk and be in front of people. Sounds like a better gig than working on the floor of a manufacturing company.

You can also add that people now work on their own hours doing door dash, uber eats, etc instead of working for $15/hour. They can have their kids with them while doing this. I even attribute to this cause...my wife orders groceries every Sunday and someone goes, picks out the food, and delivers for approximately $25. It saves us time and the opportunity cost outweighs going to the store.

As others have said in this thread, it's more complicated than "get rid of the benefits and the jobs will be filled."

Bingo. Insanely stupid to pass on millions of dollars for our local economy. All for the point of making a political statement. I don’t even think Branstad would have done this.

So there should be no problem cutting off the supply of extra unemployment benefits since they don’t want to work. Many probably aren’t getting it anyways as they’re part of the reason the labor participation rate is down. More power to them. Just don’t want any complaints when prices go up and supply is down.
Anyone who references labor participate rate is a dope

Bingo. Insanely stupid to pass on millions of dollars for our local economy. All for the point of making a political statement. I don’t even think Branstad would have done this.
So refusing money the state doesn't need, to give to people we need to be working, with money the federal government doesn't have is stupid? Only a liberal could understand that logic.

• Haha
So refusing money the state doesn't need, to give to people we need to be working, with money the federal government doesn't have is stupid? Only a liberal could understand that logic.
Iowa's economic growth is falling behind our MidWestern neighbors. I would say that we could use the money. Why do you want subpar Iowa economies?

• Haha
Reactions: abby97
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT