ADVERTISEMENT

Did anyone else notice this with the wave and the PSU team??

Hawkman34

HR All-American
Mar 17, 2002
I was finally getting the chance to re-watch the game and noticed that the PSU team did NOT participate (at least in the TV shot that I saw). Did I see that correctly?

Had a friend that went to the game, when I asked him how it was first thing he said was he lost all respect for James Franklin. I said yeah because of the fake injuries he said no because he huddled the team up for the wave and didn't participate at all. There's some D-bag coaches in the B1G but for me Franklin takes the cake.

FBqtp5yVUAEKpha

Anyone else remember that opposing teams started waving before the Hawkeyes did and how some posters bent over backwards to justify it. Legend must slept in this AM.

Be fair, it sure looks like quite a few on the sideline participted.
REMAIN CLASSY MY FRIENDS. Don’t stoop down to Franklins level, it really serves no purpose and it my encourage other teams/ people to bring up issues with our own program that we don’t need to bring up.

REMAIN CLASSY MY FRIENDS. Don’t stoop down to Franklins level, it really serves no purpose and it my encourage other teams/ people to bring up issues with our own program that we don’t need to bring up.
I'm with you on this. Who cares? It's a non issue. Opposing teams come to play football. If we mandate others do it it loses it's luster. It's a neat tradition. Definitely not a measure of character.

There have been times in the past when teams didn’t wave.

there is ZERO REASON to be upset about this.

now, if some want to give a quick wave and get back to precious game prep, good for them.

If some other team had a tradition like this and Iowa was in the midst of a top 5 matchup, I would hope our players would give their tradition a cursory glance and get on with game prep.

Be mad about them faking injuries…
Be mad about their “IF IF IF” routine…
But I’m not going to be mad that only a few of their players waved.

The wave is wonderful but also needs context. Penn state obviously didn't think the game was over and on its way to a blowout looking at that picture. Some PSU fans seem to think it was in the bag but that picture says the team didn't think so. They were taking every minute they could to talk about things weren't they...as they probably should considering how things actually played out.

While not the same kind of tradition I would hope our team would treat a close game with Wisconsin the same way next weekend vs participating in jump around

Too ... many ... controversies ...
Outrage ... energy ... waning ...

I think Penn State acquitted themselves ok in this situation.

Hell, I'll go a step farther and thank them for their participation in this tradition.

(I know, aren't I Mr. Wonderful?!!)

I’m not sure we could sink to Franklin’s level since he would always be beneath us.

some guys are wired to try to take any advantage of every possible tiny edge to win. Franklin and his team were here to try and win. that's it. it can be annoying particularly if they are successful but can't let it get us off our game.

on a related note, i actually wish the reporter had waited until next week to ask kf the flopping question and for any controversy to make the rounds.

Reactions: ichawk24
It’s not the end-all, be-all by any means, but the wave does tell you something about the visiting team and their coaches’ sense of perspective on life.

Whatever you think of the wave, it is commonly known nationwide as the most meaningful game-day tradition in college football. Everyone knows about it and all but the most cynical and Iowa-hating fans, coaches, and players appreciate it. Most visiting coaches seem eager to participate and to get their players involved.

The wave literally lasts about a minute. 1 MINUTE. There isn’t a team in college football that can’t spare 1 MINUTE to recognize that there are more important things in life than sports and take part in what is widely known as the coolest tradition in football. Many visiting coaches shut everything down and get most or all of their coaches and players waving. Then right back to business.

I was at the game and watched PSU closely out of curiosity — I’m always interested to see how visiting teams handle it. The majority of their travel squad huddled up on the field and paid no attention at all to the wave. A few players (I suspect kickers and long snappers mainly) and a few others in the sideline participated fully.

Certainly not reason for outrage, but I do think it tells is something about Franklin. He doesn’t seem to give a darn about the wave and couldn’t bring himself to spend a minute acknowledging some really sick kids who look forward to the wave all week. I’d say it’s consistent with his general lack of integrity. Can’t say I’m surprised.

All of that said, having his players fake injuries to gain a competitive advantage tells us at least as much about his lack of character in a much more objectionable way.

Last edited:
Franklin is a big enough slime ball on his own. We don’t need to manufacture grievances.

Well did Franklin wave or not? In interviews leading up to the game he specifically said he was looking forward to waving to the kids.

Honestly I don’t care. We already know what kind of person he is.

Reactions: thrillpac
I'm perfectly fine if another team chooses to not participate in the wave but the one thing Franklin brought up going into the game was The Wave and being excited to participate. Guess what... He didn't. He was too busy in the huddle at the time. Then PSU folks wonder why people think he's disingenuous... Cause it's one example of a long line of things that people bring up as proof he is fake as hell lol

Reactions: thrillpac
I am actually AMAZED that any players or coaches from either team participate in the wave. Obviously, it's a terrific thing to do, but it's for the fans and not necessarily for those directly involved in the game. Coaches are paid a lot of money to coach and win football games. I would think that the first quarter break is invaluable time for them to be regrouping and strategizing with their players, and I would expect our players that are on scholarship to play football, to be focused solely on the game. So, while it's a nice visual for everyone on the field to participate in this, I will reserve judgement for those who choose to or choose not to take part.

I am actually AMAZED that any players or coaches from either team participate in the wave. Obviously, it's a terrific thing to do, but it's for the fans and not necessarily for those directly involved in the game. Coaches are paid a lot of money to coach and win football games. I would think that the first quarter break is invaluable time for them to be regrouping and strategizing with their players, and I would expect our players that are on scholarship to play football, to be focused solely on the game. So, while it's a nice visual for everyone on the field to participate in this, I will reserve judgement for those who choose to or choose not to take part.
Are the coaches and players not allowed to talk following each time they’re on the field? It’s 1-2 minutes in the grand scheme of things. Also, those same Iowa coaches and players you’re talking about visit those kids in the hospital. It’s the least they can do to uplift the kids despite their circumstances while playing a game.

I specifically was watching them from my spot in the north end zone. My guess is everyone eventually waved, but it wasn’t all at the same time. I specifically saw Franklin step out of the huddle and wave.

Reactions: ichawk24
Thanks for the replies. The only reason I asked was I remembered Coach Franklin saying that was something he was looking forward to. I was not upset if they didn't participate. I was just curious......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT