ADVERTISEMENT

Did the game at the Palestra cost Iowa a chance at a reg season B1G Championship?

Iowa has had one 2 game losing streak all season and it all started at the Palestra.

I think the key part of our season was losing 89-86 on Jan 4 at the STEAMY Palestra and then 76-70 at Nebraska three days later, on Jan 7.

On Jan 4, per the game story from ESPN, the floor temps hovered in the 80s and industrial fans were needed to cool the players. Weezy commented about how he had never sweated so much in a game in his life. We also lost CJ Fredick to injury in this game; he only played 14 minutes. Garza played 35 minutes and missed 7 crucial FTs .

What if that game had been played in Happy Valley, in a normal temp controlled climate, in the morgue of an arena they play in?

Stephen Bardo commented yesterday, Feb 29, during the PSU game how much that game at the Palestra & the travel involved from PA, to Iowa City and then to Lincoln affected Iowa & their shooting legs in both games. CJ did not play in Lincoln. Iowa shot 4-33 from three in that game, losing by 6 points.

Instead of 11-7 in the B1G, we could have been looking at 13-5 and a 1st place tie with Maryland.

All because of the Palestra. :mad:

I know, it's water under the bridge, but I also don't think it's a coincidence that we only have had one 2 game losing streak and it started at the Palestra.
Illinois blew 15 and 14 point second half leads in two games with Maryland. What could have been. Every team has those “what if” moments.

Can’t really play the “what if?” Game because every team has “what if’s”.

What if MSU didn’t lose Langford and choke their first game against Maryland?

What if Ayo Dosumo didn’t get hurt for Illinois?

What if Wisconsin didn’t lose Kobe King and had Micah Potter all season?

What if Maryland didn’t lose on last second 3 to Wisconsin?

Might be blasphemy to say this but Iowa might be in a worse position with Bohannon and Nunge because whose minutes are they taking? Does it give less time to Connor or Frederick and does that mean less development for those guys? JBo isn’t ex
Ayo gets hurt for Illinois, LOLOLOLOLOL. Those were hurt feelings.

My gosh gentlemen, CJF is a fine offensive player and may well have been the difference at Nebraska, but let’s keep in mind other factors:

Neb has lost 8 games at home, none of those teams had CJF on the roster, so it’s is definitely possible to win with out CJF.
You've got to be kidding me, this is worst possible lead in sentence to your argument. I couldn't even read the rest of what you wrote because this sentence (logic) is garbage. Unbelievable!!

Reactions: unoHawkeye
My gosh gentlemen, CJF is a fine offensive player and may well have been the difference at Nebraska, but let’s keep in mind other factors:

Neb has lost 8 games at home, none of those teams had CJF on the roster, so it’s is definitely possible to win with out CJF.

well what could Iowa have possibly done different withOUT CJF.

1. A simple theory is if your not making your outside shot, is what? Anyone? Maybe try to go inside? Especially if you’ve got size advantages?

Iowa shots 4-33 from 3, and 28-44 from 2 pt range, 63%.
Maybe Fran should have emphasized getting the ball to his inside shooters? Could 7 less 3’s turn into 2pt FGA = 8pts, or the game.

2. Don’t let your worst shooter shoot more times than your player of the year? Maybe Fran should have not let JoeTO, the worst shooter in the team, shoot 18x? Maybe JoeTO could have given 8 of the shot attempts to Kreiner and pemsl who both shoot over 63% and 52% for 2pt shots. 8 shots time 50% is another way that Fran could be coached better in this game.

3. Maybe if Fran doesn’t play JoeTO for 35m, resulting in 11 missed shot and 4 TOS (versus 4 Assists) and if fran gives 20 of the minutes to Kriener’s and Pemsl, (5FG in 10FGA), and they produce at their approximate current pace, Iowa scores more (and also prevents more scoring.).

I,do get that graza is being doubled, but for gods sake, he can also go outside lane, high or wing and look for mismatches inside, had Iowa gone real big, all 3 bigs, there would have been multiple mismatches inside leading to high % FGA.

if you ask me, Freb Hoiberg completely out coaches Fran by baiting him into shooting 3s, and Fran not able to adjust by demanding that the ball goes inside to others that are capable inside scorers ( while Garza draws the double team).

Having CJF would’ve been nice, but Iowa shoulda won that game with out him...
Don't look now, but your constant hard on for JoeT is showing...

Reactions: KcTo
You've got to be kidding me, this is worst possible lead in sentence to your argument. I couldn't even read the rest of what you wrote because this sentence (logic) is garbage. Unbelievable!!
Explain your position...We’re all ears

Explain your position...We’re all ears
I'm not sure this will help, but I'll bite.

I just can't believe you would argue that other teams don't have CJ (well duhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!) The real question is how many of those 8 home losses came against a team that was playing without one of their starters?

Don't look now, but your constant hard on for JoeT is showing...
So, using JoeTO’s real world performance is not what we should be using....?

So JoeTO, worst offensive player on the team, consuming +25% Of the offensive possession at Nebraska , are all data points in the real world, correct?

Wether you choose to use them in looking at reasons for the Nebraska loss is your prerogative...

BTW: I do not hold this against Joe, it’s Fran, and it’s Frans excessive and misguided use of a Joe that is the issue.

Last edited:

So JoeTO, worst offensive player on the team, consuming +25% Of the offensive possession at Nebraska , are all data points in the real world, correct?

Wether you choose to use them in looking at reasons for the Nebraska loss is your prerogative...

BTW: I do not hold this against Joe, it’s Fran, and it’s Frans excessive and misguided use of a Joe that is the issue.
Your argument makes no sense. People are trying to nicely tell you that.

I was at the game at the Palestra, and it was definitely steamy in there. And the fact it is categorized as a "neutral" court game is a joke. That place was packed, raucous, and 99% Pedophilia State fans. But with that said, it was an awesome environment to watch a game and would go back in a heartbeat. It is a shame though that it certainly was a contributing factor to our loss in Lincoln and possibly our hopes of a double bye.

Your argument makes no sense. People are trying to nicely tell you that.
I appreciate this, but please can you defend your assertion?

For example, it makes no sense to me when your argument is “it makes no sense” (to you ).

I lay out a clear concise specific rationale, with defendable debatable examples, for my assertion, and the counter argument is...”it makes no sense” with not a shred of rationale.

There is no,option for me but to disregard your reply as superfluous or lazy or not with standing

I welcome any more well developed replies from you...

https://purdue.rivals.com/news/game-30-purdue-vs-18-iowa

I appreciate this, but please can you defend your assertion?

For example, it makes no sense to me when your argument is “it makes no sense” (to you ).

I lay out a clear concise specific rationale, with defendable debatable examples, for my assertion, and the counter argument is...”it makes no sense” with not a shred of rationale.

There is no,option for me but to disregard your reply as superfluous or lazy or not with standing

I welcome any more well developed replies from you...

https://purdue.rivals.com/news/game-30-purdue-vs-18-iowa
Well, you said 8 other teams beat them without CJF. How many teams beat them without their 2nd best player? NW would have lost there. PSU without Jones likely loses. Indiana without Justin Smith also probably loses. It did matter CJ wasn't playing that game.

Well, you said 8 other teams beat them without CJF. How many teams beat them without their 2nd best player? NW would have lost there. PSU without Jones likely loses. Indiana without Justin Smith also probably loses. It did matter CJ wasn't playing that game.
How do you figure the CJF is > that Joe W...? Explain?

my guess is that CJF is actually close to equivalent to ConMac, and Kreiner, but well below JoeW

Reading through the replies, it is amazing to me to see how many people are calling the injury to CJ as the reason Iowa may have lost 2 games. Just a reminder, but he is the same person so many thought was a wasted scholarship and just a token recruit due to Fran's friendship/relationship with his father. Interesting how things evolve.

I'm not looking at your advanced analytics to come to a conclusion. I'm simply making fun of you constantly (not just in one game, every post) disparaging one of 7 total scholarship players that Fran has had to work with when CJ was out. I'd say he's doing a pretty damn good job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT