ADVERTISEMENT

*****Iowa (W) vs Northwestern Game Thread*****

There was no ill intent by him, I'm sure.

No, no, definitely not… I’m embarrassed now by the shitty I attitude I have sometimes to people, you as well MitchLL.

Interestingly enough, it’s why I am so passionate about the negativity… Life is so fickle, so challenging.

I’ve had a very good life, and I’ve had a good marriage, and I have six wonderful children with that said it has been a major, major struggle, the stress, the anxiety, the seasons of difficulty, the seasons of failure, difficulty in the marriage, jobs, etc. I don’t know how people do it without Jesus Christ…

This actually might be a good lesson for me if you met me in person, unless somehow or another, we got sidetracked on some sort of negative silliness you’d never know me, my whole life at this season, is to be as uplifting as I possibly can be to any and everyone around me no matter whether I know them or not…

I honestly felt guilty mentioning her. She plays hard, she is crazy strong and it’s clear she loves playing…I guess I just prefer a different rotation. But again I’m not the coach..

Sorry for any misunderstanding…

Last edited:
Btw, what'd they say, 8th straight 20+ win season for Bluder now?

Not bad for a coach that at one point was a weekly punch line for some fans, including even last year before the tournament, with people still calling her Blunder.
She was a good regular season coach, with limited post-season success.

She was at Iowa 15 years before she made a sweet 16 and has still only advanced past the second round 4 times in 23 years at Iowa, so I would say the criticism is/was valid. Especially after the 2nd round home loss to Creighton in 2022.

No, no, definitely not… I’m embarrassed now by the shitty I attitude I have sometimes to people, you as well MitchLL.

Interestingly enough, it’s why I am so passionate about the negativity… Life is so fickle, so challenging.

I’ve had a very good life, and I’ve had a good marriage, and I have six wonderful children with that said it has been a major, major struggle, the stress, the anxiety, the seasons of difficulty, the seasons of failure, difficulty in the marriage, jobs, etc. I don’t know how people do it without Jesus Christ…

This actually might be a good lesson for me if you met me in person, unless somehow or another, we got sidetracked on some sort of negative silliness you’d never know me, my whole life at this season, is to be as uplifting as I possibly can be to any and everyone around me no matter whether I know them or not…

I honestly felt guilty mentioning her. She plays hard, she is crazy strong and it’s clear she loves playing…I guess I just prefer a different rotation. But again I’m not the coach..

Sorry for any misunderstanding…
Believe me when I day this....I'm the LAST person you need to explain anything to.

Over the years, I've had more than my fair share of posts that I wish I could take back.

I took that post as a bit of humor regarding SG. Just wanted to make sure it didn't get nasty if someone else said something sparky.

All good!
Go Hawks.

Reactions: cmhawks99
She was a good regular season coach, with limited post-season success.

She was at Iowa 15 years before she made a sweet 16 and has still only advanced past the second round 4 times in 23 years at Iowa, so I would say the criticism is/was valid. Especially after the 2nd round home loss to Creighton in 2022.

So says the critic in the shadows…interestingly enough, in todays hypersensitive, hyper “what have you done lately” environment…,

Bobby Bowden and Tom Ozborn likely would have been fired long before they finally won championships @ Nebbie & FSU. Let that sink in….

All inspired by hidden fans, more likely than not who aren’t in the top five or 10% of their own fields….

And that, THAT in a nutshell is my issue with the critic.

Believe me when I day this....I'm the LAST person you need to explain anything to.

Over the years, I've had more than my fair share of posts that I wish I could take back.

I took that post as a bit of humor regarding SG. Just wanted to make sure it didn't get nasty if someone else said something sparky.

All good!
Go Hawks.

Thanks for that….😊

So says the critic in the shadows…interestingly enough, in todays hypersensitive, hyper “what have you done lately” environment…,

Bobby Bowden and Tom Ozborn likely would have been fired long before they finally won championships @ Nebbie & FSU. Let that sink in….

All inspired by hidden fans, more likely than not who aren’t in the top five or 10% of their own fields….

And that, THAT in a nutshell is my issue with the critic.
As well as Coach K at Duke.

I am a big supporter of Coach Bluder, been taking the family to several games a year for 15 years. Just pointing out that criticism of her is not unwarranted. Especially considering the current relationship fans have with Coach McCaffery.

As well as Coach K at Duke.

I am a big supporter of Coach Bluder, been taking the family to several games a year for 15 years. Just pointing out that criticism of her is not unwarranted. Especially considering the current relationship fans have with Coach McCaffery.

Definitely!!!!!!!!! Fans period! PU fans have been tortuous to Matt Painter over the years….

And honestly if you think about it. Tom Izzo has made lots of final 4s but he has still only won, once and that’s been 100 years ago….

That’s why I don’t get these cats mad as hell all the time…

I’ve often said, I wish their version of Iowa lost 70% of their games every year and my version did what they currently do, and I’ll keep holding out hope they’ll break through.

And honestly I’ve never been that big a fan of Fran, but he absolutely plays beautiful basketball…..sadly so does everyone who plays against us…but I digress…😉

Last edited:
I assumed that is probably his daughter Megan, I like her. She is very easy on the eyes and has a great sense of humor

Finishing the season with a home payback with Ohio St. Thats a great schedule to get ready for the postseason.
Tough one against Maryland on Saturday and still have a game at Indiana. Those are two very tough road games. Nebraska will be up for the Hawks at their place. Penn State and Illinois are very good and we get them at our place. Nine left but a tough schedule ahead. An off night and we'll see a couple in the loss column.

Hoping they can keep it going.

What's up with Maryland, Brenda is slipping some. She lost some talent, but I thought she was a better coach than that.
A lot is going on in College Park. Yes, Frese has rebuilt well year after year, but this latest year saw a big drop in talent.

Diamond Miller was the #2 overall pick for the W. That’s Caitlin Clark good. She alone being on that team was a gamechanger for them. Like Clark, she could do things very few others can, including putting the team on her back. Then Abby Meyers was also a first round pick — she was a veteran player with a solid mid range game who could create shots very well for the numerous shooters on their team. I knew it was gonna be a lot harder to replace two senior leaders with great attitudes over the likes of Angel Reese and Ashley Owusu, who clearly had some chemistry / effort issues — and also will not be Top 2 W picks.

On top of losing those two, they lost another 5th year starter in Pinzan. They mostly have replaced them with a couple transfers from mid-majors who, while talented, simply aren’t 1st round picks. G Jakia Brown Turner — NC State txfr — is an exception, but she hasn’t been performing to expectations. Which should be fine tbh bc it takes most transfers awhile to settle in. It arguably took Molly Davis an entire season plus. But JBT also isn’t rly what they need on a talented, guard-heavy roster tho.

So there’s been a lot of turnover on the MD roster and this last year hit them unexpectedly hard (I think 5 of their 7 rotation players are transfers). Frese said she rly struggled to find anyone else in the portal this season. Some fans say it’s NIL. Other less forgiving parties might say that the constant revolving door of transfers has cast an unflattering reputation over the program.

On top of that, injuries have made the situation worse. 5th year W Faith Masonius tore her ACL 2 seasons ago and really has never recovered. F Allie Kubek tore hers last year and isn’t the same this year. C Emma Chardon tore hers earlier this year, and so did freshman 5 star guard Riley Nelson. So they’re short handed.

This roster chaos has left them without a true PG and without a true C. They’ve got 6’1 girls defending under the basket. Shyanne Sellers, their best all around player and passer, had filled in at PG this season (even tho she is a SF). But just two games ago, she suffered a knee injury and is now day to day. She missed the Indiana game of course.

Their offense has rly stagnated as a result. Theres a lot of hero ball / ISO play going on which is v uncharacteristic of a Brenda frese led squad. And bc of their (lack of) depth they can’t press, their signature defense. Theyre having a rough go.

Last edited:
A lot is going on in College Park. Yes, Frese has rebuilt well year after year, but this latest year saw a big drop in talent.

Diamond Miller was the #2 overall pick for the W. That’s Caitlin Clark good. She alone being on that team was a gamechanger for them. Like Clark, she could do things very few others can, including putting the team on her back. Then Abby Meyers was also a first round pick — she was a veteran player with a solid mid range game who could create shots very well for the numerous shooters on their team. I knew it was gonna be a lot harder to replace two senior leaders with great attitudes over the likes of Angel Reese and Ashley Owusu, who clearly had some chemistry / effort issues — and also will not be Top 2 W picks.

On top of losing those two, they lost another 5th year starter in Pinzan. They mostly have replaced them with a couple transfers from mid-majors who, while talented, simply aren’t 1st round picks. G Jakia Brown Turner — NC State txfr — is an exception, but she hasn’t been performing to expectations. Which should be fine tbh bc it takes most transfers awhile to settle in. It arguably took Molly Davis and entire season plus. But she also isn’t rly what they need on a talented, guard-heavy roster tho.

So there’s been a lot of turnover on the MD roster and this last year hit them unexpectedly hard (I think 5 of their 7 rotation players are transfers). Frese said she rly struggled to find anyone else in the portal this season. Some fans say it’s NIL. Other less forgiving parties might say that the constant revolving door of transfers has cast an unflattering reputation over the program.

On top of that, injuries have made the situation worse. 5th year W Faith Masonius tore her ACL 2 seasons ago and really has never recovered. F Allie Kubek tore hers last year and isn’t the same this year. C Emma Chardon tore hers earlier this year, and so did freshman 5 star guard Riley Nelson. So they’re short handed.

This roster chaos has left them without a true PG and without a true C. They’ve got 6’1 girls defending under the basket. Shyanne Sellers, their best all around player and passer, had filled in at PG this season (even tho she is a SF). But just two games ago, she suffered a knee injury and is now day to day. She missed the Indiana game of course.

Their offense has rly stagnated as a result. Theres a lot of hero ball / ISO play going on which is v uncharacteristic of a Brenda frese led squad. And bc of their (lack of) depth they can’t press, their signature defense. Theyre having a rough go.
All good info. Thanks.....

All good info. Thanks.....
One important thing I left out is that Maryland still has a LOT of very athletic players. Like, anyone would take their 6 top players over basically any of our players not named Clark. Brinae Alexander, Lavender Briggs, Bri McDaniel, Shyanne Sellers, Jakia Brown Turner?? Like damn that’s a lot of talent. I mean really. They could definitely beat us Saturday on paper. Those are tough, fast, long, highly ranked kids with game. They’d all start for us without a doubt. Any coach would kill to have even one of them. It’s really crazy to see them losing so many games with that talent.

But the positional distribution is anything but ideal (all shooters/Wings) and the roster turnover element, IMO, is undeniable. And Frese doesn’t want to play small ball. She wants a strong Center — and they have one on the bench! They have a 6’7 (!!!) freshman who has barely played — their fans have been begging her to just try her out. I guess she’s not ready tho.

Anyway, IMHO it’s hard to sustain culture / a system when you have 5 or 6 impact players coming and going each year. I’ve long thought their revolving door would catch up with them and now I believe it has. Idk if a single starter from last year besides Sellers is back (and again, she just suffered an ugly knee injury). Theyre also turning the ball over a lot without a true PG.

The player who has stepped up in the face of all this adversity is Bri McDaniel. But she is just a sophomore and her current role is far from the role she practiced for all off-season. Despite that, expect her to make some very impressive shots against us in any case. Expect the same from Alexander and Briggs.

Last edited:
One important thing I left out is that Maryland still has a LOT of very athletic players. Like, anyone would take their 6 top players over basically any of our players not named Clark. Brinae Alexander, Lavender Briggs, Bri McDaniel, Shyanne Sellers, Jakia Brown Turner?? Like damn that’s a lot of talent. I mean really. They could definitely beat us Saturday on paper. Those are tough, fast, long, highly ranked kids with game. They’d all start for us without a doubt. Any coach would kill to have even one of them. It’s really crazy to see them losing so many games with that talent.

But the positional distribution is anything but ideal (all shooters/Wings) and the roster turnover element, IMO, is undeniable. And Frese doesn’t want to play small ball. She wants a strong Center — and they have one on the bench! They have a 6’7 (!!!) freshman who has barely played — their fans have been begging her to just try her out. I guess she’s not ready tho.

Anyway, IMHO it’s hard to sustain culture / a system when you have 5 or 6 impact players coming and going each year. I’ve long thought their revolving door would catch up with them and now it has. Idk if a single starter from last year besides Sellers is back (and again, she just suffered an ugly knee injury). Theyre also turning the ball over a lot without a true PG.

The player who has stepped up in the face of all this adversity is Bri McDaniel. But she is just a sophomore and her current role is far from the role she practiced for all off-season. Despite that, expect her to make some very impressive shots against us in any case. Expect the same from Alexander and Briggs.

Although I differ to your knowledge of women’s b-ball, it is clearly better than mine. Anyone would take Kate Martin and Hannah S and they’d likely start. They are very good athletic tall players.

CC truly overshadows Martin and Molly. I’ve only realized that in the recent now. Both capable of making plays with the ball in their hands. I didn’t include Davis because she is just 5-7, I question if she’s that tall…

Just my opinion

Reactions: shikreto
Although I differ to your knowledge of women’s b-ball, it is clearly better than mine. Anyone would take Kate Martin and Hannah S and they’d likely start. They are very good athletic tall players.

CC truly overshadows Martin and Molly. I’ve only realized that in the recent now. Both capable of making plays with the ball in their hands. I didn’t include Davis because she is just 5-7, I question if she’s that tall…

Just my opinion
Kate Martin has come a long way. Two seasons ago you would often see posts about how she was just non-existent on the offensive end. I love that she has come so far. Really, I believe in her, she is a great ambassador for Iowa and I never doubt her on the floor. But again it took awhile for her to get here. Her offer list was not impressive and her first two seasons were rather forgettable. And that’s fine! She was an underclasswoman! I’m not mad about that. But marylands roster is comprised of kids who most coaches would start on day 1 and will produce on day 1.

Stuelke, obviously, I love her too. But she is still somewhat rough around the edges. She doesn’t rly excel at creating her own shot and her mid range game is still a work in progress. She is obviously athletic. And I LOVE her. So glad she is a hawk. But she would still, I think, be lower in the rotation at Maryland. Oh and — fun fact — she was (at least lightly) recruited by Maryland! Her mom played high school bball with Brenda Frese, a CR native. She committed to Iowa as a sophomore so who knows how high her recruiting journey could have gone; but Frese reportedly did reach out.

Last edited:
Reactions: cmhawks99
Kate Martin has come a long way. Two seasons ago you would often see posts about how she was just non-existent on the offensive end. I love that she has come so far. Really, I believe in her, she is a great ambassador for Iowa and I never doubt her on the floor. But again it took awhile for her to get here. Her offer list was not impressive and her first two seasons were rather forgettable. And that’s fine! She was an underclasswoman! I’m not mad about that. But marylands roster is comprised of kids who most coaches would start on day 1 and will produce on day 1.

Stuelke, obviously, I love her too. But she is still somewhat rough around the edges. She doesn’t rly excel at creating her own shot and her mid range game is still a work in progress. She is obviously athletic. And I LOVE her. So glad she is a hawk. But she would still, I think, be lower in the rotation at Maryland. Oh and — fun fact — she was (at least lightly) recruited by Maryland! Her mom played high school bball with Brenda Frese, a CR native. She committed to Iowa as a sophomore so who knows how high her recruiting journey could have gone; but Frese reportedly did reach out.

Yes on everything….

A little background, I had a daughter that was a very good basketball player.

Anywhoo…until the last 8ish years. Women’s basketball wasn’t even on my radar… My Lexie, the one I’m talking about is 23 now and she never picked up a basketball until she was 14 and I’m not exaggerating and my wife actually played college basketball

The point is, I’ve watched them some when CC showed up (I knew of her, Buecklers too) and even back to Sam Logic some years back. So I knew some WMBB…

The point being I haven’t missed them play on TV for two years and this year I’ve gone all in and started watching other teams play…

She is transcendent, but in the way, Michael Jordan was incredible and there was a ton of other incredible players around them. The women’s game has always been dominated by some great teams, and the very, very few dynamic players, like Chaminque Holdsclaw, Candace Parker…obviously others, but those players were revolutionary at the time. There was a Brazilian woman that played in the Olympic games who was pretty remarkable back in the mid 70s and 80s..

Lots of impressive women’s Ball players.

Wow talk about getting in the weeds. Anywhoooo…

There are lots of those, 3 level tall women’s B-ball players who can pass & shoot.

Finally yes on Martin actually MUCH better now, though again wasn’t she probably overshadowed by CC Monica, and Michelle Warnock?

Molly Davis to me is the real revelation. I honestly didn’t get her Minutes much of last year and early on but that girl is a completely different player if she has to be the general…..

And HS, wow, the sky is the limit for her and her rawness is actually part of what’s so fun about it. She has immeasurable skills, and when her touch is on because she can be a little sloppy around the rim she’s hard to handle down there….

Reactions: kceasthawk
What's the individual channel on Peacock is the Iowa game on? I'm thinking of subscribing and watching it on my computer.

What's the individual channel on Peacock is the Iowa game on? I'm thinking of subscribing and watching it on my computer.
No idea what the channel is. Don't think its assigned a specific channel. Its a streaming service. I have Xfinity and it came with Peacock. Just hit the voice button and say"Peacock" and it loads. The you scroll the sports section, and there's a pod for B1G sports. You can watch it live OR replay the next day. Haven't figured out how to record it to my DVR though. Don't believe you can.....

No idea what the channel is. Don't think its assigned a specific channel. Its a streaming service. I have Xfinity and it came with Peacock. Just hit the voice button and say"Peacock" and it loads. The you scroll the sports section, and there's a pod for B1G sports. You can watch it live OR replay the next day. Haven't figured out how to record it to my DVR though. Don't believe you can.....
You don't need to record it on a streaming service. Just search for it later. It will be there just like a movie.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT