ADVERTISEMENT

Does the athletic department need to go scorched earth at this point?

If being raised on a farm, working long hours and struggling financially many years and paying for my college education then working my way up the ranks is white privilege then all I can say is you are way off base. You and others like you are attempting to discredit what my family and myself accomplished. I won’t listen to it. Also people like you can’t even begin to understand what people like me have done for struggling families and children in almost every area I have lived. Take your bull crap questions and shove them basement dweller.
I would bet you have had a bunch more privilege than me and many others as mom heats up you mac and cheese and you can continue to jump on line. People like you disgust me when you look down your nose at hard working people of ANY color.

At least listen long enough to hear that "white privilege" doesn't undermine your hard work or mean you didn't struggle. It doesn't mean you haven't earned what you have. It simply means your hard work and struggle were not further complicated by your skin color.

"white privilege" doesn't take anything away from your hard work or your efforts. It simply is a recognition that your path was not further complicated by your skin color. You can and should be both proud of the fruits of your hard work and cognizant that other peoples' hard work has not borne the same fruit.
People (Every skin color) complicate their paths by making poor life choices. There is nothing stopping anyone from achieving their respective goals but themselves. Im sorry, I don’t buy it.

At least listen long enough to hear that "white privilege" doesn't undermine your hard work or mean you didn't struggle. It doesn't mean you haven't earned what you have. It simply means your hard work and struggle were not further complicated by your skin color.

One of the problems with terms like "white privilege" is that there is no definition that all of the purveyors of said term align on. You may be very genuine with how you are defining and using the term...the next person...it is used an invective and IS meant to demean or minimize one's hard work and effort.

Do you think these charged terms are being used by all people in the same manner?

People (Every skin color) complicate their paths by making poor life choices. There is nothing stopping anyone from achieving their respective goals but themselves. Im sorry, I don’t buy it.

that just means it hasn’t cut close enough to home for you to see what’s happening right in front of you.

Reactions: millah_22
It is freaking 2020 man. people can come from Africa and create their own wealth here and live good lives. Why the hell can't people that have been here for decades do the same? Come on now

FWIW...a friend of mine is an immigrant from Africa and gained US citizenship about 2-3 years ago now. After several years of plotting, preparing and planning...he just started his own business within the last month. This is something that I actually helped advise him on a few years back and I knew from his attitude, work ethic and goals that he would realize his dream one day.

His skin color was not a barrier to his dreams...he has worked hard to earn what he is receiving and I am thrilled to see him succeed. His reaction to the term "white privilege"...hearty laughter. He understands that hard work, determination and pluck, etc, are what carries a person forward...not perpetual victimhood.

Do you think these charged terms are being used by all people in the same manner?

probably not. There are a lot of posters that recoil at the term and don’t know what it means. Race is a heated subject that most prefer to avoid. Many get stuck in a mindset that if I don’t see it, it’s not happening and that’s just wrong.

that just means it hasn’t cut close enough to home for you to see what’s happening right in front of you.
I see it happen every day. I’ve seen it for 15 years. We’re going to have to agree to disagree on this one Birch.

probably not. There are a lot of posters that recoil at the term and don’t know what it means. Race is a heated subject that most prefer to avoid. Many get stuck in a mindset that if I don’t see it, it’s not happening and that’s just wrong.

Not sure if "don't know what it means" is accurate so much as "don't agree with some of the interpretations".
BTW, appreciate the civility with which this discussion is taking place!

Right or wrong, these allegations aren't going away. One coach served up on a platter isn't going to take the distractions away.
With no college football on the horizin this year, athletic Depts budgets are in the hole, its not quite the time to deal with $20M-$30M buyouts. It's the reality of the current situation. Maybe a few asst coaches, but not the head guy.

Would like to see Brian F. get the axe, however. He's a spoiled punk.

The ouroboros that is the Iowa AD is rearing its ugly head.

You can't get rid of the staff because KF, you cannot get rid of KF because NOBODY trust Barta to make a good hire, you cannot get rid of Barta because KF is actually the one with the power and wants Barta. They have basically fortified a position of always being able to pass the buck without anyone ever really taking accountability.

Example: How did the head coach not know these things about his staff/son?

Well GB is the AD "he is who is ultimately in charge"

"Well GB isn't in the day to day stuff"

"So KF should be accountable"

"Well, KF doesn't work with them Day in and day out either"

"So the positional coaches and SC are accountable"

(Then comes my favorite)

Well ultimately its the "head of the program thats responsible"

(Triggering the loophole of who is actually "the head")

"white privilege" doesn't take anything away from your hard work or your efforts. It simply is a recognition that your path was not further complicated by your skin color. You can and should be both proud of the fruits of your hard work and cognizant that other peoples' hard work has not borne the same fruit.

Amen.
Malcolm Gladwell's book Outliers is an outstanding read and, IMO, relates to this very topic. It explores the hypothesis of factors playing into various peoples' successes. One of the central tenets of the book is essentially this: "Even though extremely successful people are [insert positive adjective such as brilliant, hard-working, etc], they commonly are the recipient of a good break in their lives which helps to launch their successes." He has a chapter on Bill Gates (who is undoubtedly brilliant) and how he had the fortune of being provided access to an early version of a computer at a local college. Without that access, who knows what would have happened. Does it detract from Gates' success? Absolutely not. But it recognizes that he was afforded a "good break" that others with similar skills/brain power did not.

Why do so many people take it personally when the term "white privilege" is used? My personal theory is because they somehow feel as if it minimizes their efforts in life. But, if you step back and be honest with yourself, the term is broad but accurate. Are their "privileges" associated with various status levels in our country? Anyone saying "no" is either hopelessly naive or lying. Easy example . . . Ivy League college admissions. You think that the playing field is level for all applicants? Did I, coming out of a rural high school in NE Iowa, have the same chance to get admitted into Harvard, Yale or Cornell as, say, the son/daughter of a graduate of one of those colleges? No way. That's a "privilege" that others enjoyed while I didn't. Did an African-American child who, through no fault of his/her own, attended inner city elementary, middle and high schools have the same opportunities to get admitted into a particular college? Hell no. I was "privileged" to attend solid (not elite) elementary schools, junior high and high school. That is, indeed, a "privilege" that I had over many inner city African-American students. Frankly, it was a "privilege" that I had over many students of all shapes, sizes and colors in the poorer parts of this country.

There is nothing demeaning about recognition of the fact that, while others had more "privilege" than I, I still had more "privilege" than others. Doesn't change the fact that I got good grades in HS, did well on ACT, admitted into Northwestern's School of Journalism (couldn't afford it), attended U of Iowa, graduated with two majors, did well on LSAT, admitted into Iowa's College of Law, passed the bar exam and have practiced law for 26+ years. Would my road have been less difficult if I wasn't the first attorney in my family or came from a family of wealth? Almost certainly. Was my road easier than those who didn't have some of my opportunities? Damn right.

I'll share a quick story. Every year, we go to the Iowa State Fair for one day and one day only. Last year, while getting a good beer at the Iowa Craft Beer tent, we couldn't find a place to sit so we stood just outside of the tent. A young African American teenager (likely 16, 17 or 18 years old) was working in an adjacent area and busting his ass carrying crates. Super hot day and, by the amount of sweat, you could tell that he working hard. He walked past a group of three white females (mid-20s?) who were smoking. I noticed that one female purposefully exhaled smoke in the area of the kid's face as he walked by. He didn't cough but he reacted to it. I figured it was an unfortunate mistake but noticed the female chuckle a bit after it happened. I then noticed the kid coming back to get another load of crates. This time, two of the females exhaled smoke in his face as he walked by. He waved the smoke away but kept looking straight ahead and walking. When he returned, the same two did it again. The kid kept walking and didn't say anything. All three women laughed. At this point, I took a couple of steps and asked "what the f--k was their problem?" Told them that they were scum and that if they didn't leave, I would report their conduct to the people running the tent and then find a cop. I got a couple of middle fingers thrown my way and told to mind my own "f--king business." I went to find someone in authority at the Craft Beer Tent but, by the time that I got back, they had left. They told my wife that I was an "f--king a--hole."

As I fumed about it afterwards, it dawned on me that there was zero (repeat that - zero) other African American adults among well over 100 people under the beer tent. It also dawned on me that these females didn't pull the "smoke stunt" on any other workers or patrons - who all happened to be white - that walked by. They did it to an African American teenager who happened to be working his ass off.

Little things like that . . . shit that people may not see or, perhaps, want to see. While I have no idea if that kid ever found out that the women were confronted, I'm confident that he probably understands "white privilege."

So, instead of taking offense and getting righteous when you hear the term "white privilege," stop for a second and be thankful for the opportunities presented to you and that perhaps you didn't have to fight through certain issues that others have had to fight through. And take a moment to try to understand what life may be like in others' shoes. I've never been pulled over by a police officer for failing to use a turn signal. But African-American friends of mine have. I've never had a store employee follow me around a store because that person thought that I may be a shoplifter but I have African-American friends that have. I've never had anyone cross the street as I approached them on the sidewalk to avoid me but I've have African-American friends that have had that happen to them.

I've never considered myself to be particularly "privileged" in the big scheme of life but I am not too proud to admit that I've had "privilege" that many in the African American community have not had.

Amen.
Malcolm Gladwell's book Outliers is an outstanding read and, IMO, relates to this very topic. It explores the hypothesis of factors playing into various peoples' successes. One of the central tenets of the book is essentially this: "Even though extremely successful people are [insert positive adjective such as brilliant, hard-working, etc], they commonly are the recipient of a good break in their lives which helps to launch their successes." He has a chapter on Bill Gates (who is undoubtedly brilliant) and how he had the fortune of being provided access to an early version of a computer at a local college. Without that access, who knows what would have happened. Does it detract from Gates' success? Absolutely not. But it recognizes that he was afforded a "good break" that others with similar skills/brain power did not.

Why do so many people take it personally when the term "white privilege" is used? My personal theory is because they somehow feel as if it minimizes their efforts in life. But, if you step back and be honest with yourself, the term is broad but accurate. Are their "privileges" associated with various status levels in our country? Anyone saying "no" is either hopelessly naive or lying. Easy example . . . Ivy League college admissions. You think that the playing field is level for all applicants? Did I, coming out of a rural high school in NE Iowa, have the same chance to get admitted into Harvard, Yale or Cornell as, say, the son/daughter of a graduate of one of those colleges? No way. That's a "privilege" that others enjoyed while I didn't. Did an African-American child who, through no fault of his/her own, attended inner city elementary, middle and high schools have the same opportunities to get admitted into a particular college? Hell no. I was "privileged" to attend solid (not elite) elementary schools, junior high and high school. That is, indeed, a "privilege" that I had over many inner city African-American students. Frankly, it was a "privilege" that I had over many students of all shapes, sizes and colors in the poorer parts of this country.

There is nothing demeaning about recognition of the fact that, while others had more "privilege" than I, I still had more "privilege" than others. Doesn't change the fact that I got good grades in HS, did well on ACT, admitted into Northwestern's School of Journalism (couldn't afford it), attended U of Iowa, graduated with two majors, did well on LSAT, admitted into Iowa's College of Law, passed the bar exam and have practiced law for 26+ years. Would my road have been less difficult if I wasn't the first attorney in my family or came from a family of wealth? Almost certainly. Was my road easier than those who didn't have some of my opportunities? Damn right.

I'll share a quick story. Every year, we go to the Iowa State Fair for one day and one day only. Last year, while getting a good beer at the Iowa Craft Beer tent, we couldn't find a place to sit so we stood just outside of the tent. A young African American teenager (likely 16, 17 or 18 years old) was working in an adjacent area and busting his ass carrying crates. Super hot day and, by the amount of sweat, you could tell that he working hard. He walked past a group of three white females (mid-20s?) who were smoking. I noticed that one female purposefully exhaled smoke in the area of the kid's face as he walked by. He didn't cough but he reacted to it. I figured it was an unfortunate mistake but noticed the female chuckle a bit after it happened. I then noticed the kid coming back to get another load of crates. This time, two of the females exhaled smoke in his face as he walked by. He waved the smoke away but kept looking straight ahead and walking. When he returned, the same two did it again. The kid kept walking and didn't say anything. All three women laughed. At this point, I took a couple of steps and asked "what the f--k was their problem?" Told them that they were scum and that if they didn't leave, I would report their conduct to the people running the tent and then find a cop. I got a couple of middle fingers thrown my way and told to mind my own "f--king business." I went to find someone in authority at the Craft Beer Tent but, by the time that I got back, they had left. They told my wife that I was an "f--king a--hole."

As I fumed about it afterwards, it dawned on me that there was zero (repeat that - zero) other African American adults among well over 100 people under the beer tent. It also dawned on me that these females didn't pull the "smoke stunt" on any other workers or patrons - who all happened to be white - that walked by. They did it to an African American teenager who happened to be working his ass off.

Little things like that . . . shit that people may not see or, perhaps, want to see. While I have no idea if that kid ever found out that the women were confronted, I'm confident that he probably understands "white privilege."

So, instead of taking offense and getting righteous when you hear the term "white privilege," stop for a second and be thankful for the opportunities presented to you and that perhaps you didn't have to fight through certain issues that others have had to fight through. And take a moment to try to understand what life may be like in others' shoes. I've never been pulled over by a police officer for failing to use a turn signal. But African-American friends of mine have. I've never had a store employee follow me around a store because that person thought that I may be a shoplifter but I have African-American friends that have. I've never had anyone cross the street as I approached them on the sidewalk to avoid me but I've have African-American friends that have had that happen to them.

I've never considered myself to be particularly "privileged" in the big scheme of life but I am not too proud to admit that I've had "privilege" that many in the African American community have not had.

That some, like me, don't like the term "white privilege" does not at all mean that there still aren't elements of racism present in our society. Your example of the white ladies blowing smoke at the black man is despicable behavior and I commend you for calling them out...but it doesn't mean that I, or anyone else for that matter, has "white privilege".

Those ladies were aholes if they were doing that on purpose, but I too as a white man have experienced poor treatment from others at times. That doesn't mean then that all others who weren't subjected to the same poor treatment have "x" privilege over me...it just means that there are some jerks in this world and strong minded people do not let the jerks win.

The biggest issue I have though with terms like white privilege though is that there is no clear meaning to a now grossly overused term. Some, perhaps not you, people use that term to denigrate the accomplishments of someone that is successful and has overcome a lot to get to that point. I have had that term used that very way in my presence in just the past 2 weeks. The irony is that the person making the claim has actually had more "privilege" by a long shot than I ever had growing up.

I think the reaction that you are getting to that term has much more to do with the fact that some these days ARE using it to minimize the accomplishments of others, even to the point of trying to ascribe guilt to another. Some, like you, are apparently using the term in a much more benevolent manner.

This whole thing has shown me that big business wants division. If poor people coalesced that would be dangerous to the upper class. Sell division reap the benefits, basic idea

Reactions: hawkeyemark56
It is freaking 2020 man. people can come from Africa and create their own wealth here and live good lives. Why the hell can't people that have been here for decades do the same? Come on now
Well, simplistically speaking, many black people who involuntarily were chained and shipped here against their desires, splitting family lives into fractions forever forward were then also sold and worked in ways that further broke down their family structure intentionally. Conceive of that for yourself right now, white person. At minimum of six or seven generations ago, your kind was kidnapped, broken away from your natural line of descent, and over the subsequent decades your white countrymen did everything they could, legally and illegally, to break you mentally and emotionally. We have "weak" white suburbanites who can't make it through the day without medication or counseling after seeing someone they admire didn't "like" a post of theirs. We probably have some posting here. Yet, YOU, in all your white wisdom can't understand how Africans can make it here... It's not about color. IT ISN'T ABOUT RACE, IT'S ABOUT TREATMENT OF THE PERSON. Thank you for understanding, admitting, and supporting that white privilege exists at the hands of treating black AMERICANS as inferiors for their own benefit. Not white privilege as a RACE, but as a demographic that has not been utterly, intentionally demoralized from its first steps on American soil. Being white is not the privilege that has guaranteed a future, it is a privilege that has guaranteed a past that allows for a better future. If you as a white person haven't succeeded, without the types of slavery-induced persecution that almost all blacks face(d), then... I don't want to make you or anyone else feel bad. And, maybe that's why this is difficult for white America. It's hard to realize how easy we've had it in comparison with blacks generally speaking. It's not that white America has had it easy. No one has it easy, but without debate, black America has had it harder and in ways that don't "just go away" after an election or generation. There are entire books or films dedicated to an adopted person struggling with their identity compelled to seek their biological parents to find meaning in lofe, and that is just ONE generation and done by ONE couple without outside obvious HATRED of you for traits you could not control.

Did you, white person, face these types of brutal emasculations that scar generations of people? If not, YOU ARE PRIVILEGED. I know you don't want to see that. I know you're not a bad guy. I'm not asking you to feel guilty for things you probably haven't personally done or for something white people did long ago. No one is saying you didn't face struggles, but these struggles ON TOP OF normal struggles are not yours. You're not living in a country you didn't choose who has yet to even barely recognize the wrongs...in 2020.

There is no way I would be half as confident, motivated, or proud to be an American this 4th of July if the nation I lived in destroyed my entire family line without even acknowledging it, let alone admitting it was wrong. That is why many black American people, (aside from documented lynchings, KKK and white supremacist hate crimes, and police brutality, etc.) may struggle more than white or African people. Frankly, it is more disturbing that black Americans didn't rise up earlier.

If you cannot perceive this as reality, then you may simply be racist. That's a choice. But, do not try to give me or anyone else some self-righteous "we all have it tough" garbage.

Enjoy the rest of your day with your white family history and the potential it allows.

Well, simplistically speaking, many black people who involuntarily were chained and shipped here against their desires, splitting family lives into fractions forever forward were then also sold and worked in ways that further broke down their family structure intentionally. Conceive of that for yourself right now, white person. At minimum of six or seven generations ago, your kind was kidnapped, broken away from your natural line of descent, and over the subsequent decades your white countrymen did everything they could, legally and illegally, to break you mentally and emotionally. We have "weak" white suburbanites who can't make it through the day without medication or counseling after seeing someone they admire didn't "like" a post of theirs. We probably have some posting here. Yet, YOU, in all your white wisdom can't understand how Africans can make it here... It's not about color. IT ISN'T ABOUT RACE, IT'S ABOUT TREATMENT OF THE PERSON. Thank you for understanding, admitting, and supporting that white privilege exists at the hands of treating black AMERICANS as inferiors for their own benefit. Not white privilege as a RACE, but as a demographic that has not been utterly, intentionally demoralized from its first steps on American soil. Being white is not the privilege that has guaranteed a future, it is a privilege that has guaranteed a past that allows for a better future. If you as a white person haven't succeeded, without the types of slavery-induced persecution that almost all blacks face(d), then... I don't want to make you or anyone else feel bad. And, maybe that's why this is difficult for white America. It's hard to realize how easy we've had it in comparison with blacks generally speaking. It's not that white America has had it easy. No one has it easy, but without debate, black America has had it harder and in ways that don't "just go away" after an election or generation. There are entire books or films dedicated to an adopted person struggling with their identity compelled to seek their biological parents to find meaning in lofe, and that is just ONE generation and done by ONE couple without outside obvious HATRED of you for traits you could not control.

Did you, white person, face these types of brutal emasculations that scar generations of people? If not, YOU ARE PRIVILEGED. I know you don't want to see that. I know you're not a bad guy. I'm not asking you to feel guilty for things you probably haven't personally done or for something white people did long ago. No one is saying you didn't face struggles, but these struggles ON TOP OF normal struggles are not yours. You're not living in a country you didn't choose who has yet to even barely recognize the wrongs...in 2020.

There is no way I would be half as confident, motivated, or proud to be an American this 4th of July if the nation I lived in destroyed my entire family line without even acknowledging it, let alone admitting it was wrong. That is why many black American people, (aside from documented lynchings, KKK and white supremacist hate crimes, and police brutality, etc.) may struggle more than white or African people. Frankly, it is more disturbing that black Americans didn't rise up earlier.

If you cannot perceive this as reality, then you may simply be racist. That's a choice. But, do not try to give me or anyone else some self-righteous "we all have it tough" garbage.

Enjoy the rest of your day with your white family history and the potential it allows.

Another over winded internet gas bag trying to tell us what we are and arent..

Reactions: jo12208

So apologies, reparations or both. It will never end. I did what most were not willing to do or sacrifice. Especially in today’s environment and that includes all colors.

So apologies, reparations or both. It will never end. I did what most were not willing to do or sacrifice. Especially in today’s environment and that includes all colors.
Exactly.

I hope my lengthy post doesn't lack compassion. I think most people resist change because we don't want to realize we've been living a lie. Unfortunately, I have had that happen so often, I am fairly comfortable changing now when I learn something new!

Peace to all of you! Happy 4th!

This does not in any way dispell it's accuracy. If you ever get the energy to address it, let me know. I won't be going anywhere.

Address what? Its a non issue to me. The shit you people invent is hilarious. Then you beat the horse to death for what purpose?

You not going anywhere isnt surprising.

Happy 4th to you also.

Reactions: jo12208
Address what? Its a non issue to me. The shit you people invent is hilarious. Then you beat the horse to death for what purpose?

You not going anywhere isnt surprising.

Happy 4th to you also.
I got the picture you didn't read it, so I was simply offering to discuss it when you do. I'm glad we're on the same page!

Exactly.

I hope my lengthy post doesn't lack compassion. I think most people resist change because we don't want to realize we've been living a lie. Unfortunately, I have had that happen so often, I am fairly comfortable changing now when I learn something new!

Peace to all of you! Happy 4th!

I would also like to thank the people in this thread for keeping it civil and for the healthy discourse. For some of us who spend a good portion of our day with people of all nationalities and color, I have found this whole movement to have ZERO affect on our day to day lives. I laugh, joke, share a meal, a drink and live life with people of color everyday with no change in who any of us are as persons. I honestly avoid the news as much as I can and just live my life. I laughed so hard I had tears with the black lady checking me out at JC Penny's yesterday because she made fun of me. Absolutely none of our interaction had any basis on color as do none of my other interactions daily. I chose to be around people who truly enjoy and live life.

Statues representing slavery. Seriously, you think blacks have EVER been ok with these statues?. Walk in their shoes. Look outside yourself dude. Method can be argued, but wanting them gone is not.

You obviously havent made note of the fact that most dont even know why they are trying to take down some of the statues. They have taken down and defaced statues of abolitionist and others who had Nothing to with slavery. Mobs and ignorance go hand in hand.

Statues representing slavery. Seriously, you think blacks have EVER been ok with these statues?. Walk in their shoes. Look outside yourself dude. Method can be argued, but wanting them gone is not.
they are taking down other statues too like nile kinnick and Lincoln. get a grip. you give these guys an inch and they take a mile. this isn't just about slavery. it's about ripping America apart. it might have started out being a few confederate statues but it has grown way beyond that.

Reactions: unclesammy
You obviously havent made note of the fact that most dont even know why they are trying to take down some of the statues. They have taken down and defaced statues of abolitionist and others who had Nothing to with slavery. Mobs and ignorance go hand in hand.
Provide specific examples and sources or your assertions are meaningless. I can say you're a stromboli bot troll, and this has the exact same amount of authentication as your post, as neither one of us have provided any substantiation of our claims.

they are taking down other statues too like nile kinnick and Lincoln. get a grip. you give these guys an inch and they take a mile. this isn't just about slavery. it's about ripping America apart. it might have started out being a few confederate statues but it has grown way beyond that.
No one has torn down a Nile Kinnick statue. Get a grip you ridiculous asshole.

they know why. it's gone beyond slavery. basically it's the fact that these people do not want to glorify any humans. they believe all humans are evil and we are destroying earth with our eating and making money and capitalism.

they know why. it's gone beyond slavery. basically it's the fact that these people do not want to glorify any humans. they believe all humans are evil and we are destroying earth with our eating and making money and capitalism.
Go back to the off topic board where you belong you Clown.

Provide specific examples and sources or your assertions are meaningless. I can say you're a stromboli bot troll, and this has the exact same amount of authentication as your post, as neither one of us have provided any substantiation of our claims.
they are going in and taking over cities like seattle and DC. I live in Austin. we have a communist mayor who says it's fine to loot target stores and if you are homeless you are king and are expempt from most laws and don't have to wear a mask. I am perfectly fine with these people kneeling to the false idol football godz now. we can now see who hates America.

This is powerful stuff. And it’s not just “lib-tards propaganda” as some on this board will quickly dismiss it as. Real change starts with listening.
I'm not liberal first of all. But, thanks. I hope it brings us together in some way in our understanding

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT