ADVERTISEMENT

Greatest dual of all time...

We'll see what happens after this season won't we. I'd be surprised if both guys stay at PSU.
I think there are many in SC who will also be surprise
You are talking about 1988 against #1 Iowa State at Carver. The meet was thru 177 and Iowa's 190, Sophmore Brooks Simpson, was just getting back into shape after being out of the lineup earlier in the year with, I think, a knee injury. His record was something like a paltry 6-5 (guess). He was facing undefeated Senior and Defending National Champ Eric Voelker. An Iowa win was so unlikely. A Voelker win would seal the meet and end Iowa's streak of never losing a meet in Carver. About 4-1/2 minutes into the match, Simpson hit a side roll from bottom and caught Voelker. He fought off his back for what seemed an hour before getting the fall. I cannot describe the moment it happened. It was as if the fans could see it coming and when it happened, the roof went off the place all at once. Never been in Carver (or Kinnick even) to see that kind of IMMEDIATE explosion. Sindlinger came out at Hwt and recorded the Fall to seal the win. This was also at the time when Iowa was still recovering from their failure to record their 10th straight title. There were some all time greats for both schools on the mat that day - for Iowa: Penrith, Heffernan, Alger, maybe Chipparelli (memory fading). For ISU: Gibbons, Krieger, Van Arsdale, Voelker. For what it is worth too, it is also the only time my Dad was able to attend a meet at Carver with me and even through his dementia in later years, he still remembered that moment. I still have an extremely worn VHS copy of the meet at home.

Awesome recount! Thanks!

Reactions: Snake Pliskan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT