ADVERTISEMENT

Hawkeye Radio

DooBi

HR Legend
Sep 18, 2006
I really don't mind listening to games on the radio. Football or baseball. In fact sometimes I really enjoy it. I think it's because the commercials don't annoy me as much as they do on TV.

That said, Iowa needs a damn play by play guy on the radio! For Pete's sake! Dolph goes, "there's Williams off to the left WITH A HUGE HOLE! Ya see that's why we need a guy like this and he's gotten better every game. He's a junior who has blah blah blah. And the line too has improved blah blah blah blah........

Ok it's 2nd and 4"

FUUUUUUUCK Tell me what happened before you talk about the damn players!!!!!!!! Lol and he does it non stop! End rant.

I really don't mind listening to games on the radio. Football or baseball. In fact sometimes I really enjoy it. I think it's because the commercials don't annoy me as much as they do on TV.

That said, Iowa needs a damn play by play guy on the radio! For Pete's sake! Dolph goes, "there's Williams off to the left WITH A HUGE HOLE! Ya see that's why we need a guy like this and he's gotten better every game. He's a junior who has blah blah blah. And the line too has improved blah blah blah blah........

Ok it's 2nd and 4"

FUUUUUUUCK Tell me what happened before you talk about the damn players!!!!!!!! Lol and he does it non stop! End rant.
He's assuming you're watching it on TV/streaming. Lazy.

Reactions: Dr.PhilSuess
those guys are not getting any younger at all. you will all miss them when they retire. I listened to a lot of A and M games here in TX and that older dude retired like a a few yrs ago and i was kind of sad to see him go.

If you subscribe to Sirius and listen to other teams games you realize how bad Dolph is!
Did that on a long drive and you are right. Pittsburgh St. had a guy that was fantastic and couldn’t believe he wasn’t hired by a network. That’s right Pittsburgh, KS. Channel surf on a football Saturday and you’ll be shocked how bad Dolph is. And you wonder how Eddie has maintained any semblance of sanity after working with Zabel and now Dolph.

Reactions: Doodads and Hoohah
I can’t stand him in football and he’s even worse doing basketball. I started listening towards the end of the 1st quarter today and it probably took him 3-4 minutes before saying the score.
Listening to him do football is awful but basketball may be the worst thing ever. With football the action stops and he will get lucky and keep you updated on what's going on every once in awhile. With basketball you may be 5 or 6 trips up and down the court behind before he actually somewhat catches up and describes something of relevance that may have occurred.

Reactions: QChawks
I listen to a lot of radio broadcasts and Gary Dolpin is far and away the absolute best.
he tells you exactly what is going on on the field at all times... the Op is full of shit.
lol C’mon, man…

You have got to be kidding me. There is no earthy way you have listened to ”a lot of radio broadcasts“ and have concluded that ”Gary Dolpin (sic) is far and away the absolute best.”

You have lost all credibility.

Eddie’s day has passed as far as a good commentator. He now just sounds tired on the broadcasts. He and Dolphin both need to exit together and hoping very soon.
You could possibly talk me into that for the net positive impact.

Reactions: frydaze
Eddie has stayed too long.
Which I don't really get, as he doesn't "need" the gig. OTOH, more puzzling is that with Eddie, it hasn't really been gradual. It's like he was "on top of his stuff" for a game, and then a game later he seemed to have completely lost it.

Listen to the huskers play by play, one sounds like he did meth before kickoff and the other even when getting piss pounded makes it sound like they are winning.

Eddie’s day has passed as far as a good commentator. He now just sounds tired on the broadcasts. He and Dolphin both need to exit together and hoping very soon.
Eddie has sounded less enthused than he used to at least the last couple years. I have always enjoyed Eddie on the broadcast. I listen to them often vs. the TV crew depending on who's calling the game. My take is and I get the feeling that Eddie is exhausted with the Ferentz era. Again, picking up on his overall attitude I think he has Ferentz fatigue. He's burned out with this regime like many of us and would privately prefer Iowa turns the page and move on to the next one. He has expressed repeatedly that Iowa should and could be better than the constantly predictable product and the embracing and contentment with mediocracy shown by Ferentz .
I believe if you could sit down over a stiff drink like the vodka martinis he drinks he would be very critical of KF.

you are full of shit... and delusional.
both Gary and Eddie love Kirk Ferentz and what he does for the program.
Eddie does have fatigue... its not Ferentz... its the stupid ass fans that obsessively and compulsively complain about the offense.

it is exhausting

before Brian Ferentz, it was Greg Davis and before him, Ken O'Keefe

there is no good reason to hate Gary Dolphin and Eddie Podolak.
these guys are legends in the Hawkeye community

the day they stop doing games is most likely the day I stop listening to games on the radio.

both these gentlemen are class acts on the air.
and their insight and analysis on the game is very articulate and detailed.
they present the game that is favorable to the Hawkeye fan.

and that's exactly why I listen to them... and not the clowns on TV.

these 2 gentlemen are pros... and they have never been as good as they are today.

you dipshits that are complaining about these 2 gentlemen are just looking for another thing to complain about.

back in the day, way back when... we had a word for complainers.. we called them "women"

Dolph can got and sit at his Bar and reminisce with the patrons like Cheers. Eddie can go to Costa Rica and relax. Love both. But as I said Zabel was my fav.

Which I don't really get, as he doesn't "need" the gig. OTOH, more puzzling is that with Eddie, it hasn't really been gradual. It's like he was "on top of his stuff" for a game, and then a game later he seemed to have completely lost it.
Podolak’s quality has progressed downward the last couple years for sure. I’m thinking he hangs on just because it keeps him connected to football.

Last edited:
Podolak’s quality has progressed downward the last couple years for sure. I’m thinking he hangs on just because it jerks him connected to football.
Which makes sense. It is very difficult to let go, at least for some. And there is probably a sort of "fear" on his part of any replacement screwing things up.

Eddie has sounded less enthused than he used to at least the last couple years. I have always enjoyed Eddie on the broadcast. I listen to them often vs. the TV crew depending on who's calling the game. My take is and I get the feeling that Eddie is exhausted with the Ferentz era. Again, picking up on his overall attitude I think he has Ferentz fatigue. He's burned out with this regime like many of us and would privately prefer Iowa turns the page and move on to the next one. He has expressed repeatedly that Iowa should and could be better than the constantly predictable product and the embracing and contentment with mediocracy shown by Ferentz .
I believe if you could sit down over a stiff drink like the vodka martinis he drinks he would be very critical of KF.
Completely agree with you!!

I just made some stuff up because I felt like it.

• Haha
Reactions: Dr.PhilSuess
It’s embarrassing that the Iowa Athletic Department has never listened to a competent broadcast because ours is terrible. The two old Muppets in the balcony would call a better game.

It’s embarrassing that the Iowa Athletic Department has never listened to a competent broadcast because ours is terrible. The two old Muppets in the balcony would call a better game.

muppets-muppet-show.gif

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT