ADVERTISEMENT

Holiday Bowl/Citrus Bowl/Red Box

Wow... taking on Auburn in the Citrus would be quite the challenge. Good for the program win or loss. Just hope it would not get too out of hand.

I think it would make for a good game and a good matchup. I've watched a few of their games. They remind me a lot of last year's Mississippi State team. Even though the game against Alabama would indicate, they're much stronger on the defense than they are offensively.

Nine wins doesn't matter; Big Ten wins matter! Possible relegation to the Redbox Bowl is because of finishing 6th in the Big Ten behind OH, PSU, MINN, WIS & MICH. Another reason KF bonus $$$ should be based on Big Ten wins, and not overall wins.

We should also be grateful that OSU is in the final four, or we could end up in Detroit.

I’ll bet you in the long run of things, 9 wins will matter. 9 wins will mean more than finishing 6th in the B1G, when it comes to being selected to a bowl.

I’ll bet you in the long run of things, 9 wins will matter. 9 wins will mean more than finishing 6th in the B1G, when it comes to being selected to a bowl.
And I'll bet you that the 5 teams in front of us go to better bowl games than Iowa. That's the point I was making.

And I'll bet you that the 5 teams in front of us go to better bowl games than Iowa. That's the point I was making.

But that’s not what you posted. You said wins don’t matter. They do. The B1G is not going to send a nine win team to the Redbox Bowl. The bowls want a competitive game (or a perceived competitive game) more than anything. That was my point. No Redbox or no Detroit, even if OSU wasn’t in the CFP. That’s just nonsense.

But that’s not what you posted. You said wins don’t matter. They do. The B1G is not going to send a nine win team to the Redbox Bowl. The bowls want a competitive game (or a perceived competitive game) more than anything. That was my point. No Redbox or no Detroit, even if OSU wasn’t in the CFP. That’s just nonsense.
I didn't say, "Wins don't matter." I said: "Nine wins doesn't matter; Big Ten wins matter!" If you don't see the difference, you'll never understand.
Re: the Redbox Bowl, they original poster suggested the idea. Personally, I'd be surprised if that were the destination. Lastly, the Hawks aren't jumping any of the 5 teams ahead of them in the Big Ten tomorrow based on their offense. That's just foolishness.

So, the way it's looking is Ohio State will go CFP....then it's a matter of how many Big schools go to NY6 bowls. And if one of those goes to the Orange that will eliminate the Citrus for the conference (as it's either-or between the Orange and Citrus for the Big Ten). And then everything else should start to fall into place.

So, the way it's looking is Ohio State will go CFP....then it's a matter of how many Big schools go to NY6 bowls. And if one of those goes to the Orange that will eliminate the Citrus for the conference (as it's either-or between the Orange and Citrus for the Big Ten). And then everything else should start to fall into place.
That makes sense. However, I ask you this: (1) Who among OHST, PSU, MICH, WISC & MINN do you believe is going to a lesser quality bowl than the Hawks; and (2) For what reason? The only possible scenario I envision is jumping MINN based on our demonstrated history of fan support. Cruel fact, but it's happened to teams before.

That makes sense. However, I ask you this: (1) Who among OHST, PSU, MICH, WISC & MINN do you believe is going to a lesser quality bowl than the Hawks; and (2) For what reason? The only possible scenario I envision is jumping MINN based on our demonstrated history of fan support. Cruel fact, but it's happened to teams before.

Michigan could go to a lower bowl. They're pretty much locked into Holiday Bowl, whereas Iowa could go to the Citrus. Michigan can't go to the Citrus, based on the agreements the Big Ten has with the bowls in this current cycle.

Michigan could go to a lower bowl. They're pretty much locked into Holiday Bowl, whereas Iowa could go to the Citrus. Michigan can't go to the Citrus, based on the agreements the Big Ten has with the bowls in this current cycle.

I thought the Citrus had to take 5 different teams in 6 years and since they haven’t had any repeats they were able to take whoever they wanted this year.

I thought the Citrus had to take 5 different teams in 6 years and since they haven’t had any repeats they were able to take whoever they wanted this year.

They’ve also only had 3 teams in the first of those 5 years technically. 2 years they had none. So they can’t get 5 in this 6 year contract. But 4 is closer to 5

All depends on the Citrus picking Iowa or Michigan vs either Bama or Auburn. Citrus might pick Iowa vs either or make a deal with Outback so they can have Michigan vs Bama then Iowa vs Auburn in Citrus. Minny to Holiday then vs USC. Those sound like good games.

Reactions: kceasthawk
All depends on the Citrus picking Iowa or Michigan vs either Bama or Auburn. Citrus might pick Iowa vs either or make a deal with Outback so they can have Michigan vs Bama then Iowa vs Auburn in Citrus. Minny to Holiday then vs USC. Those sound like good games.
I agree, they will place teams via fan support, interesting matchups and collaboration between the bowls and the Big10. The days of 1-5 going to certain tiered bowls are over.

Reactions: kceasthawk
You've obviously spent zero time in the San Francisco area. It is a phenomenal part of the country.
Actually my wife is from San Francisco. You've obviously spent zero time outside of the tourist part of the San Francisco area. It is a shit hole and that is putting it nicely. Nice try though.

Reactions: GolfHacker1
Actually my wife is from San Francisco. You've obviously spent zero time outside of the tourist part of the San Francisco area. It is a shit hole and that is putting it nicely. Nice try though.

To be fair, nobody going to a bowl game is spending time in the bad parts.

If you go to the Quick Lane Bowl in Detroit you ain't staying in a hotel on West King Street

Nice try. Daughter (no pics) lives there. The Tenderloin area certainly has its rough spots but to characterize the entire area as a “shit hole” is an awful take.

Yeah...all of SF is a sh#thole...that is why a lot of rich people live there.
That is why most of the big tech companies have headquarters there instead of Iowa. Get a grip...all cities have bad areas and certainly SF is one of them. I lived there for years previously and it is a great city...beat out Boston, Washington DC and Philadelphia where I also have lived. And yes..those cities are great also. As with any city you have to know where to hang and where to avoid.

Reactions: dekhawk
I'm sure everyone who is very familiar with certain big cities that many people love to visit know a lot more about the areas you don't see on postcards or hear about in songs. I absolutely loved my time living in St. Louis, but I'm sure a lot of you would characterize the entire place as a combination of North City and Ferguson. People who visits these places avoid the bad areas, and those who live there deal with it best they can (some better than others). It's simple as that.

Reactions: bumpstock
I'm sure everyone who is very familiar with certain big cities that many people love to visit know a lot more about the areas you don't see on postcards or hear about in songs. I absolutely loved my time living in St. Louis, but I'm sure a lot of you would characterize the entire place as a combination of North City and Ferguson. People who visits these places avoid the bad areas, and those who live there deal with it best they can (some better than others). It's simple as that.

I chose not to go to the Stanford/Iowa Rose Bowl game in Pasadena because I read some bad things about Compton. (Rolling My Eyes)

So when will we finally get confirmation? Turned on the cfp circle jerk... I mean selection show and looks like they’re dragging this out until at least 3pm et. Anyone know when we can expect the announcement for Iowa?

Right now it's the window-dressing part, waiting to see who makes the NY6 bowls and seeing who remains available before announcing the non-NY6 bowls. I'm sure the negotiating has started between the conference and the bowls on those.

Right now it's the window-dressing part, waiting to see who makes the NY6 bowls and seeing who remains available before announcing the non-NY6 bowls. I'm sure the negotiating has started between the conference and the bowls on those.

Yeah there ain't much negoitating nowadays.

There are eight spots open
ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, Oregon SEC, non-Power 5 take six of those spots. SEC is gonna take another and probably utah-Penn State.

The Citrus always gets its SEC team first. If they pick Bama, then the B1G team will almost certainly be Michigan. If they pick Auburn, Iowa’s chances go up drastically.

The Citrus always gets its SEC team first. If they pick Bama, then the B1G team will almost certainly be Michigan. If they pick Auburn, Iowa’s chances go up drastically.

The Citrus always gets its SEC team first? What does that even mean? They say, "Ok, B1G, we have our SEC team, now give us an opponent."? Link?

Ya, I call BS on that too. They talk with both conferences and the network before simultaneously announcing both teams

Yeah there ain't much negoitating nowadays.

There are eight spots open
ACC, Big 12, Big Ten, Oregon SEC, non-Power 5 take six of those spots. SEC is gonna take another and probably utah-Penn State.

There’s all sorts of negotiating. Maybe within the committee. Gotta make sure Florida gets rated above wisc/PSU so gators get Orange.

Funny how outside the top 4, the committee contrives the rankings to make the rest of the NY6 bowl match-ups possible.

Reactions: El Simbolo
It's going to be Notre Dame vs Iowa State in the Camping World Bowl. Michigan State vs Wake Forest in the Pinstripe

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT