ADVERTISEMENT

Hurricane season has arrived....

Y'all are crazy! Love the Skyway Bridge. Fish under it and drive on it. It was also pretty cool to be on a cruise ship that goes underneath it.
The morning that the bridge was hit and collapsed my younger brother had decided to wait a few minutes until a heavy rainfall subsided before he crossed over it to make a sales call.
It saved his life. 😳

That's interesting because I dumped my rain gauge around 2 p.m. today. It had 3.5 inches in it already, and I didn't want it to overfill overnight.

That graphic says I should expect 4 - 6 more inches through 8 p.m. on Friday night.

Will be interesting to see how accurate this was.

Only one inch since 2 p.m. yesterday, even though it seemed like it rained all day today. I don't think we're going to get anywhere near the 4-6 inches predicted, but the week is still young.

Driving across that bridge is super cool! I do it every chance I get.

Not anywhere near the same scale, but the Dames Point bridge in Jacksonville is fun, too. It goes way up in the air in a hurry!
What percent grade are those bridges?

Driving across that bridge is super cool! I do it every chance I get.

Not anywhere near the same scale, but the Dames Point bridge in Jacksonville is fun, too. It goes way up in the air in a hurry!
Wrecks on that bridge all the time. 😧

I heard we got over 16” of rain here. I can believe it looking at how much the lakes and retention ponds are overfilled. Had to reschedule my flight home as we’re currently trapped in the neighborhood. Close to 8” of water in the street in front of their house and deeper water on the main road. Can’t get my rental sedan out without risking losing it in the flooding. Saw at least one car getting towed as they tried fording the water. Did see people with lifted pickups and jeeps out joyriding around including some people towing a wakeboard, but most of them avoided the worst flooding.

Reactions: goldmom
I heard there has been a plea to stop frivolous 911 calls. Needing someone to deliver smokes and water classifies as an emergency to Trad.

I used to participate in the River Run every year, and I can tell you that 8th mile up the Hart Street Bridge FELT like I was going up the Skyway. I was always so exhausted that the downhill into the Gator Bowl wasn't even helpful.

Where is the Dames Point Bridge?

I heard we got over 16” of rain here. I can believe it looking at how much the lakes and retention ponds are overfilled. Had to reschedule my flight home as we’re currently trapped in the neighborhood. Close to 8” of water in the street in front of their house and deeper water on the main road. Can’t get my rental sedan out without risking losing it in the flooding. Saw at least one car getting towed as they tried fording the water. Did see people with lifted pickups and jeeps out joyriding around including some people towing a wakeboard, but most of them avoided the worst flooding.
So I wake up this morning and the water was completely gone, even after multiple hard rainfalls last night. I'm guessing someone forgot to flip a switch to open a drain because there's no way the water stays at the same level for the entirety of yesterday, then completely vanishes overnight through natural drainage.

I used to participate in the River Run every year, and I can tell you that 8th mile up the Hart Street Bridge FELT like I was going up the Skyway. I was always so exhausted that the downhill into the Gator Bowl wasn't even helpful.

Where is the Dames Point Bridge?

It's the easternmost (and the tallest) bridge in Jacksonville, FL.

Reactions: seminoleed
So I wake up this morning and the water was completely gone, even after multiple hard rainfalls last night. I'm guessing someone forgot to flip a switch to open a drain because there's no way the water stays at the same level for the entirety of yesterday, then completely vanishes overnight through natural drainage.
How long have you been in these parts?

Ground is sand, and water tends to sink right into it.

Reactions: DFSNOLE and goldmom
If you are from Florida you understand our soil and the fact that a bunch of the state is really just a comparatively thin layer of limestone and coral rock.
I thought everyone’s soil drained quickly?

How long have you been in these parts?

Ground is sand, and water tends to sink right into it.
Don’t live here, never want to. Visiting the in-laws. This wasn’t just because of the water going into the ground. If it was then the water wouldn’t have stayed at the same level all day long yesterday before vanishing overnight. I heard the govt had crews out unblocking drains from the “lake” connections. I’m guessing that is what happened.

Reactions: TC Nole OX
Don’t live here, never want to. Visiting the in-laws. This wasn’t just because of the water going into the ground. If it was then the water wouldn’t have stayed at the same level all day long yesterday before vanishing overnight. I heard the govt had crews out unblocking drains from the “lake” connections. I’m guessing that is what happened.
Possible.
The ground will get saturated and you’ll see puddles. But unless there is clay or asphalt under them, they’re gone tomorrow.

That is most likely due to flood control with the various water management district canals. Then it is also possible that they removed accumulated debris from storm drains. That is necessary because Floridaman likes to use his car window as a trash can. Someone in my neighborhood drained an intersection on US-92 Hillsborough Avenue by removing a bunch of trash from the storm drains on several nearby corners.

Stormrunner Media storm chasing in Georgia. This guy also got pulled over twice and threatened with arrest in Taylor County FL while waiting for the eye to come ashore.

Sandy soil. Where are you?

MWP is right back on the fear train

When Andy Hazelton and Denis Phillips say you need to worry, then do so. Otherwise, ignore the scaremongering influencer

Reactions: The Tradition
Sandy soil. Where are you?
Sarasota/Bradenton area, inland of I-75. Sandy soil wouldn’t explain why the water didn’t drain at all yesterday, then dropped 2-3 feet overnight, then basically stopped draining today. As I mentioned, others saw workers out cleaning debris from drainage systems. Good possibility a lot of flooded homes were caused because the drainage systems weren’t clear. And these are in area without flood insurance according to the news.

Sarasota/Bradenton area, inland of I-75. Sandy soil wouldn’t explain why the water didn’t drain at all yesterday, then dropped 2-3 feet overnight, then basically stopped draining today. As I mentioned, others saw workers out cleaning debris from drainage systems. Good possibility a lot of flooded homes were caused because the drainage systems weren’t clear. And these are in area without flood insurance according to the news.

Yes, the city has to clear the drains.

ECMWF is predicting a stiff breeze east of Florida on August 17 and 18.
IMG-4635.jpg

Reactions: TC Nole OX
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT