ADVERTISEMENT

If you were a prospective offensive coordinator would you work for Kirk Ferentz?

NorthernHawkeye

HR Legend
Dec 23, 2007
Lets say you're young and up and coming in the coaching ranks.

Would you take the job based on what you've seen from previous offensive coordinators at Iowa and the thought that you’ll be limited by the head coach?

Would you take the job based on what you've seen from previous offensive coordinators at Iowa and the thought that you’ll be limited by the head coach?
So are you saying this young up and comer has not been and OC before? Well for one that was the mistake Kirk made promoting his son so Kirk should not hire someone with zero experience.

But any young up and comer should probably take the job, why not , lots of money and a chance to prove your chops.

I think Kirk needs to hire an existing OC who has aleady proved his worth and system

At the most superficial level, sure. It's a big payday and high profile.
For career progression it's much less clear.

Kirk is highly, HIGHLY, unlikely to bring in a young OC who also wants to blow up the refuse that is the current offense and let him make something dynamic with a qb who can actually run as part of the offensive scheme.
Odds are one of the currently failing offensive coaches or an unknown outsider who will follow the KF style of boring, supposedly hard to learn and yet easy for opposing D to figure out, stationary qb, wrs primarily as blockers, etc., etc.

Take the job if they can hire their own staff. Not be hamstrung by KF on offensive decisions. I would love to see the same offense that Michigan runs. I would even go run heavy. Play action with a little RPO.

Take the job if they can hire their own staff. Not be hamstrung by KF on offensive decisions. I would love to see the same offense that Michigan runs. I would even go run heavy. Play action with a little RPO.
Do you get to bring all the 5 star players along also?

Reactions: littlez
Of course an up and comer would take the job under KF. If you can string together just an average offense, then you are golden in the eyes of KF and all Iowa fans.

No - for some unknown reason Kirk just seems to not have any interest in offense. They recruit QB’s but yet once a QB is installed - no other QB has any chance at being inserted.

OR

Maybe the QB has evidence of Kirk being paid off by the Chinese and if Kirk would insert an actual QB - it’s all going to come out?

Do you get to bring all the 5 star players along also?
We ran this offense effectively back in the Banks era. It can be done here with 3 stars if we get an OC worth a damn. Look at the defense side of the ball and what you can do with 3 stars.

Old coach who never fires anyone and whose own job will be available in not too long. Have the backing of an elite defense that still got the shittiest offensive coordinator in the galaxy 10 wins last year.

Yes, Iowa very much CAN get a quality OC who could become the next coach. Will Ferentz do it? Probably not.

$1mm per year and the best job security in perhaps all of P5? No expectations to make the offense successful. Sign me up today.

If the OC comes with a good track record, has 100% control of the offense, and can get a few players in the portal he wants, including a QB, yes. If not those options then not only no, but hell no.

Kfs offensive philosophy and scheme is a million miles away from what the majority of the rest of the football world is doing.

Kirk isn't going to be able to get anyone who's scheme is meant to score quickly or anyone who is an up and comer with interest from good programs.

None of those type guys would want to derail their career by putting on the KF shackles.

He'll end up with some mediocre old guy looking for a last payday or someone who is not really qualified like Brian who will agree to use Kirk's scheme.

Kirk is the Jeff Fisher of college football, he's not hiring a Sean McVay.

It's a trick question. No way on God's green earth is KF interested in hiring an OC who is "up and coming in the coaching ranks." The new OC will be somebody no one has ever heard of who wouldn't be hired as OC at any other FBS program; if not Budmayr, likely an old buddy of KF's that he talks out of retirement after a long career in FCS coaching.

Maybe Kirk will hire the High School coach from Williamsburg? It could possibly give the Hawks the inside track to the Williamsburg pipeline …..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT