ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa recruiting thread.

I think I understand that a faction of posters here expect to be able to accuse PSU of cheating without the inconvenience of receiving pushback, but I do not agree that a Rivals forum, by design, is a reasonable place to have that expectation. The entire model is based on interaction between fan bases. There will be good, bad, and ugly interactions . . . influenced by everyone’s behavior, not just that of PSU fans.

Based on the content of the post to which I replied, and on the history of the individuals addressed, I believe my post was both logical and reasonable.
Semi serious question

Is there a code word that is used on the psu forums that indicates that there is something negative being said about psu that causes the posters to rally and defend what is their conception of their honor?
I ask because unless someone comes over here and links something that is being said on their forums I wouldn't know that negative things were being said. I can assume there are the 'Brands behavior' threads or the 'Iowa style' threads but I just don't see too many Iowa posters going over there to attack those thoughts.

It was a nice couple of years where there was very little psu traffic over here. Some insights and clarifications are appreciated but the 'we are only presenting the truth to combat your lies' approach coupled with the 'I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken mindset' gets a tad tiresome.

Semi serious question

Is there a code word that is used on the psu forums that indicates that there is something negative being said about psu that causes the posters to rally and defend what is their conception of their honor?
I ask because unless someone comes over here and links something that is being said on their forums I wouldn't know that negative things were being said. I can assume there are the 'Brands behavior' threads or the 'Iowa style' threads but I just don't see too many Iowa posters going over there to attack those thoughts.

It was a nice couple of years where there was very little psu traffic over here. Some insights and clarifications are appreciated but the 'we are only presenting the truth to combat your lies' approach coupled with the 'I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken mindset' gets a tad tiresome.
Uh no, what happens is wrestling fans keep a few tabs open on a topic that interest them and read and respond to stuff that might catch their attention. It's actually that simple.

Alright, so if we fill 33, that leaves 49/57 (wherever Chittum isn't), 74, 84 and 97 if AJ isn't here. If we get AJ we still need at least 2 high end transfers to have a shot this year.

Reactions: TarpHawk
Alright, so if we fill 33, that leaves 49/57 (wherever Chittum isn't), 74, 84 and 97 if AJ isn't here. If we get AJ we still need at least 2 high end transfers to have a shot this year.
Brands is coming back at 174. Yes, we could upgrade at 184, but Assad is a nice fall back. Weird we haven't heard more in A.J. Anyone know when the court proceedings continue/end?

There isn't a realistic scenario where anyone other than PSU wins it this year.

You're also not going to upgrade the 5th place finisher at 174. That's crazy talk.

74 is fine with Brands then Arnold. 84 is in dire need with Assad not a likely AA and we have nobody lined up behind him to take over. 97 not likely to AA with the status quo. The weight opposite Chittum can't really be picked to AA right now either.

We will have Cobe and Anthony Ferrari competing for the weight Chittum isnt. Returning AA at 74, fringe AA in Assad if he’s healthy, and then wait and see on AJ.
Let’s be realistic, PSU is going to field one of the better teams ever assembled next year if none of their guys take Oly RS. We would have to have a lot of things go our way to even have a chance.

Reactions: IRONBIRD
We will have Cobe and Anthony Ferrari competing for the weight Chittum isnt. Returning AA at 74, fringe AA in Assad if he’s healthy, and then wait and see on AJ.
Let’s be realistic, PSU is going to field one of the better teams ever assembled next year if none of their guys take Oly RS. We would have to have a lot of things go our way to even have a chance.
They would need to have multiple guys go down with injury to even open a discussion about challenging them.

Reactions: TarpHawk and el dub
There were a lot of people about this time of the year who said that about Iowa's 2022 team. Injuries happen and that is a realistic scenario.

Is it? I'd argue its a rare scenario. And the gap is so large between them and the rest of the field, and they have so much depth, it would take a fairly unreasonable number of injuries for them to come back to the field.

Give it a week or so and we will have someone lined up for 184

Oh? We're all ears if you have info.

Reactions: TarpHawk and MVPFAN
If we assume we get AJ and one more transfer at 49/57 or 84 are we the best 2nd place team ever assembled?
Nope. Just most cobbled together. Look at rankings. We’re not setting a scoring record next season.

Some of those guys you’re penciling in have yet to win college match. Others are fringe AA’s. One guy has a court date. And then there will be injuries.

Not sure why folks say we can’t beat PSU if we land Nagao:

We can win at:
125 - Ayala
133: Nagao
141: Woods
149: Chittum
165: Kennedy

They win with:
Haines
Brooks
Truax
Starocci
Kerk

I would say they needed Truax to beat Iowa

Uh no, what happens is wrestling fans keep a few tabs open on a topic that interest them and read and respond to stuff that might catch their attention. It's actually that simple.
Was there a glitch or were some of these ‘fans’ not aware of that process for a couple of years? Must not have caught their interest as much

Reactions: Inthecircle

We can win at:
125 - Ayala

They win with:
Haines
Brooks
Truax
Starocci
Kerk

In a dual format, sure, but those guys you have listed under “wins” for PSU will most likely all be wrestling on Saturday night at NCAAs. I think it’s safe to say Starocci, Brooks, and Kerk are basically locks barring injury.
Also, I don’t even think next year’s PSU team is their best team ever, yet alone the best team of all time. There truly isn’t a killer and bonus point guy in the lineup like we’ve seen in years past from PSU (e.g. Bo, DT, etc).

Reactions: sabula and el dub
Was there a glitch or were some of these ‘fans’ not aware of that process for a couple of years? Must not have caught their interest as much
It really is wild how apparent their fans’ insecurities became once Iowa dominated them in 2020 and 2021. They won 2022 thanks to injuries to all three of our returning finalists, otherwise, it was three straight years of being #2 for the kitties. They never seem to want to admit that though.

I think Chit goes 157

If we land AJ, then there's a NC for you. Cass can be a finalist
I obviously want AJ in IC but if Brooks is heading up to 197 as some have suggested, I don’t think AJ is the favorite. Hope we get to see it happen though!

Reactions: el dub
In a dual format, sure, but those guys you have listed under “wins” for PSU will most likely all be wrestling on Saturday night at NCAAs. I think it’s safe to say Starocci, Brooks, and Kerk are basically locks barring injury.
Also, I don’t even think next year’s PSU team is their best team ever, yet alone the best team of all time. There truly isn’t a killer and bonus point guy in the lineup like we’ve seen in years past from PSU (e.g. Bo, DT, etc).
If they get Cannon it will be their best "team" ever. And if the 3 point TD happens? Starocci, Van Ness and Brooks could bonus at a 90% clip.

I obviously want AJ in IC but if Brooks is heading up to 197 as some have suggested, I don’t think AJ is the favorite. Hope we get to see it happen though!

AJ wrestling next season is not looking good. Trial date set for September 26. 2nd semester IF he's found innocent.

Reactions: el dub
WRONG!
There isn't a realistic scenario where anyone other than PSU wins it this year.

You're also not going to upgrade the 5th place finisher at 174. That's crazy talk
WRONG!
CLOSE!
They would need to have multiple guys go down with injury to even open a discussion about challenging them.
WRONG!
If we assume we get AJ and one more transfer at 49/57 or 84 are we the best 2nd place team ever assembled?
You all are losing it!

We can win at:
125 - Ayala

They win with:
Haines
Brooks
Truax
Starocci
Kerk

Finally someone with some common sense!!!! TY

With Nagao at 133 and AJ at 197 I would put us as the favorites right now!!! OH YEA I WOULD!!!!! Now maybe they upgrade some more at 125 and 133 but as of RIGHT NOW!

125 Ayala is better then anyone they have. He could be a contender? He is an AA at minimum.

133 Nagao is a contender to win!

141 Woods is the best at the weight!

149 Chittum appears to be the real deal. I have no problem believing he is better then what they have but remains to be seen.

157 Ferrari, Feeling many are not giving him enough respect. Thinking he is going to be real tough!

165 PK is better until proven otherwise

174 Brands is a returning AA and held starfish to a 1 point decision

184 Assad needs to have one year with no injuries(I would bring in Griffin!)

197 AJ is a monster and returning champ! I hope they move babblingBrooks up!!!

Heavy Big cass is 2 or 3 and hopefully can add the HP needed to become #1

In a dual we win at 125, 133, 141, possible at 149, I will give them 157 but will not be surprised if we win, we take 165, they get 174, 184, we take 197, they take heavy.

In tournament, We out pace them at 125 where they may score zero, 133 where they may score zero, 141 We are better and score more points.. 149, 157 remain to be seen but they will not put much more on the board at either I believe. You could maybe add 164 to those weights also. 174 they score more but we can score some points TWOOOOO!!!

184 they will out pace us but hopefully we will have something going! 197 We win and Heavy we can keep pace for the most part!

We have 10 legit AAs with several who could /should be in the finals and 2-3 champs!

LETS GO IOWA!!!

Last edited:
WRONG!

WRONG!

CLOSE!

WRONG!

You all are losing it!

Finally someone with some common sense!!!! TY

With Nagao at 133 and AJ at 197 I would put us as the favorites right now!!! OH YEA I WOULD!!!!! Now maybe they upgrade some more at 125 and 133 but as of RIGHT NOW!

125 Ayala is better then anyone they have. He could be a contender? He is an AA at minimum.

133 Nagao is a contender to win!

141 Woods is the best at the weight!

149 Chittum appears to be the real deal. I have no problem believing he is better then what they have but remains to be seen.

157 Ferrari, Feeling many are not giving him enough respect. Thinking he is going to be real tough!

165 PK is better until proven otherwise

174 Brands is a returning AA and held starfish to a 1 point decision

184 Assad needs to have one year with no injuries(I would bring in Griffin!)

197 AJ is a monster and returning champ! I hope they move babblingBrooks up!!!

Heavy Big cass is 2 or 3 and hopefully can add the HP needed to become #1

In a dual we win at 125, 133, 141, possible at 149, I will give them 157 but will not be surprised if we win, we take 165, they get 174, 184, we take 197, they take heavy.

In tournament, We out pace them at 125 where they may score zero, 133 where they may score zero, 141 We are better and score more points.. 149, 157 remain to be seen but they will not put much more on the board at either I believe. You could maybe add 164 to those weights also. 174 they score more but we can score some points TWOOOOO!!!

184 they will out pace us but hopefully we will have something going! 197 We win and Heavy we can keep pace for the most part!

We have 10 legit AAs with several who could /should be in the finals and 2-3 champs!

LETS GO IOWA!!!
Chittum is not a 149 and Anthony isn't a 157. Chittum is a 157 and Anthony a 165. Both would've a difficult time holding that weight all season.

If they get Cannon it will be their best "team" ever. And if the 3 point TD happens? Starocci, Van Ness and Brooks could bonus at a 90% clip.
I still don’t agree with you. They overachieved at 141 and 149. They aren’t going to score bonus points like they have in years past.

Give me their 2018 team any day of the week over 2023.

Also, can’t help but LOL at the thought of Van Ness achieving 90% bonus next year. That’s not happening.

Chittum is not a 149 and Anthony isn't a 157. Chittum is a 157 and Anthony a 165. Both would've a difficult time holding that weight all season.
Chittum has been wrestling 154 in FS and most have already said he will be at 149. I also not sure about anthony as he knows full well he could start next year at 157!

Reactions: sabula
So, currently, we have two finalists and they might have five with three NC locks?

Ok. So bestest case scenario for the Hawks and the only way we challenge PSU

125 Ayala - Champ
133 Nagao - Finalist (need to be on other side of Vito, and beat a continually regressing FIX)
141 Woods - Champ
149/157 Chittum - Finalist at which ever weight he goes.
149/157 Siebrecht/Ferrari/Rathjen - Need an AA
165 Kennedy - AA
174 Brands - AA
184 Assad - AA
197 AJ - We have to have him. He's at worst a Finalist
285 Cass - Top 3. Not sure he can beat Hendrickson or Kerk again

PSU is going to counter with 9 AAs:

125 Howard - Don't see how he makes it a season
133 Cannon - Former AA
141 Bartlett - Finalist
149 Van Ness - Finalist
157 Haines - Finalist/Champ
165 Mesenbrink/Facundo - We have no data that says Mesenbrink is a folkstyle upgrade over Facundo. No AA
174 Starocci - Champ
184 Truax - Top 3
197 Brook - Champ
285 Kerk - Champ

PSU on paper have 6 in the finals. We could counter with 4 WITH AJ. yeah. It's not looking so good for 2024.

I still don’t agree with you. They overachieved at 141 and 149. They aren’t going to score bonus points like they have in years past.

Give me their 2018 team any day of the week over 2023.

Also, can’t help but LOL at the thought of Van Ness achieving 90% bonus next year. That’s not happening.

You're probably right about Van Ness. But IF the 3 point TD happens, he's going to be up there.

And you can't call it "overachieving" at 141 and 149 - they're both former no. 1 recruits. And Iowa has out-bonused PSU, so they don't even need that at current.

Chittum has been wrestling 154 in FS and most have already said he will be at 149. I also not sure about anthony as he knows full well he could start next year at 157!
Cobe/Rathjen 149 Chittum 157 . Anthony will be 74kg for U23. I would say the Anthony 165 PK 174 Nelson 184 would be a possibility before Chittum 149 and Anthony 157.

Reactions: bnicolls
Among who? Are you one of his attorney's or the prosecutor?
I’m a nice guest so calm down.

No I’m not, thank goodness. Literally every attorney I’ve seen opine on the likely series of events that led to a trial date thinks the prosecution feels they have a strong case and don’t believe they need/should take a plea. And no, those opinions have no bearing on the outcome. And no, by posting a single one-liner here I am not influencing either the perception or reality of the Iowa wrestling program.

Last edited:
Reactions: Libertylover
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT