ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa site posters vs other site posters

To perhaps buy Indulgences from the moderator lest I be in future danger of a booting, here's a picture of a bikini babe to curry favor:

Let me clarify...Im in Love!

ba51e8a815e6f0ea4d310b011afdc871.jpg

!!!!!! :):):):):):):)

rsz_rutgersprinceton740a.jpg

College Wrestling Dual Attendance at 15 year High
Written by: Alex Steen in College Wrestling News 04/13/2017 Comments Off on College Wrestling Dual Attendance at 15 year High

Photo By Ben Solomon

The demise of the college wrestling dual meet has been greatly exaggerated. At least, that is what attendance numbers from the 2016-17 season appear to be telling us. Starting with the 2001-02 season, Denny Diehl has been compiling attendance data for 15 years. This season, working in concert with Denny, TOM continued that tradition, gathering information from as many Division I programs as possible. Some schools don’t track attendance data for wrestling so they are not included here. However, after getting responses from those that do, attendance at duals appears to be at the highest levels we’ve seen this century.

For the 11th year in a row, Iowa led the nation in attendance per match. This year they posted their second highest average attendance with 9860 fans per dual, trailing only last year’s 12,166 per dual that was boosted by the 42,287 fans at the Grapple on the Gridiron. Penn State was second with 7833 per dual, largely due to most of their home matches being in the smaller Rec Hall, while Ohio State was third with 5880 per match. Rounding out the schools averaging over 5000 fans per match was Oklahoma State with 5041. This is the first time since the data has been tracked that four teams averaged over 5000 fans per match. There had never been as many as three such teams before. The top 20 in attendance is as follows:

Rank School Avg. Attendance
1 Iowa 9860
2 Penn State 7833
3 Ohio State 5880
4 Oklahoma State 5041
5 Rutgers 4706

Fortunately or unfortunately, the only shows in town on the Rivals boards are HR and BWI for wrestling. I do post over here occasionally and make a serious attempt to be respectful and have a basis of fact to back up anything I may say controversial. But if you're jonesing for wrestling talk where else are you going to go? The Rutgers guys have some good posters but limited volume. It's a conundrum.

Maybe we have to embrace the chaos on occasion. Just my point of view. Ban if you must Thor!!

So Mike, I presume you will be posting the same thing on the Football board? There's a lot more smack on that site between Iowa/Nebraska/Minnie fans than on the wrestling site. Also, I'd say you've got some work to do on the Off Topic board as well.

The off topic board has been cleaned up too much the way it is...back off.

I'd honestly flip Iowa and OSU. OSU may have more titles, but the competition was less rigorous while they were in dynasty mode as opposed to Iowa.
IMO, criticizing George Mikan in comparison to say Kevin Durant does injustice to both. They were/are great in their own day and age. Or, how about discounting the 60s Packers in comparison to the current Patriots.
My father played for A. Alonzo Stagg @ Univ. of Chicago; today, he wouldn't be the water boy. All the champions are just that IMO.

Reactions: nitlion6
IMO, criticizing George Mikan in comparison to say Kevin Durant does injustice to both. They were/are great in their own day and age. Or, how about discounting the 60s Packers in comparison to the current Patriots.
My father played for A. Alonzo Stagg @ Univ. of Chicago; today, he wouldn't be the water boy. All the champions are just that IMO.
Your analogy does not go to the heart of my statement. I wasn't comparing individual wrestlers but the competition from one era to the next. The competition overall in the 20s and 30s was not equal to that of the 80s and 90s.

Your analogy does not go to the heart of my statement. I wasn't comparing individual wrestlers but the competition from one era to the next. The competition overall in the 20s and 30s was not equal to that of the 80s and 90s.

Your history is a little off. The first NCAA championship was held in 1928 and Oklahoma State won team titles in every decade up to 2006. You can only win against the competition from your peers. One could argue that, relative to the era, the 1947 Cornell College team was one of the most dominant in the history of college wrestling and that from 1939 to the late '50s Iowa State Teachers College was a major factor in the sport.

Your history is a little off. The first NCAA championship was held in 1928 and Oklahoma State won team titles in every decade up to 2006. You can only win against the competition from your peers. One could argue that, relative to the era, the 1947 Cornell College team was one of the most dominant in the history of college wrestling and that from 1939 to the late '50s Iowa State Teachers College was a major factor in the sport.
I'll stand by my comment that earning a team title in the 80s and 90s was a more strenuous task than earning it in the 1920s, 30s and even 40s.

For example, here is the brackets from the 1929 tournament.

http://nwhof.org/NCAA-Brackets/PDF/NCAA 1929.pdf

In the 115 pound weight class, there were a total of three wrestlers competing. Joe Sapora won the title by defeating two opponents. The maximum wrestlers in any weight class was 14. A total of 24 teams sent guys. That's what I'm talking about when I say that it is more strenuous to win in the 80s and 90s than back then. I'm not talking about the individual wrestlers nor the quality of their technique, but the amount and quality of the competition.

Other than Michigan and OSU, no other team sent more than three wrestlers to the 1929 tournament. OSU sent all 8 and Michigan sent 7. No surprise then that OSU came in 1st and Michigan 2nd. It essentially was a two team race from the start. A total of 60 wrestlers competed in 8 weight classes, so OSU and Michigan had 25% of all competitors.

By contrast, last year 69 teams participated at nationals and there are now 33 at each weight. Everyone has to win five times to win a title, and not two to four times.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT