ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa State sweet 16 first year coach. Lol

I would think a couple of transfers happen every team deals with that now. But guys like Brockington have that option to come back, do not be suprised if that happens.
Yeah, I suppose Brockington doesn’t really have a great shot at the NBA.

I'll be quite surprised if Brockington returns. I don't know what his chances of a pro career might be, especially given his age, but he's at his third school now. Cyclones have a couple of fairly highly regarded recruits coming in, and a transfer who's sitting out now.
Who is the transfer?

See this I just don't get as a Hawk fan...Give credit where credit is due. Purdue gets Saint freaking Peter's in a Sweet 16 game.

It is NCAA tourney...upsets are very common. ISU beat a 6 and 3 seed and that 3 seed was playing basically a home game. Johhny Davis is..by far..Wisc most important player and it isn't close.

Had Davis not played half that game ISU wins that game by 15+.

I'd argue Brad "prick" Davidson is Wisc 2nd most valuable player honestly. Losing the frosh pg definitely mattered...but things happen in NCAA.

Didn't ISU make S16 without Niang one year who broke foot in NCAA?

I mean I'm hating life this sucks but it is just sour grapes to belittle ISU getting to a s16 by beating to higher seeded teams..
I agree don’t “belittle” ISU, rather I’m just indifferent.

I apologize, you are 100% correct. You do need a new AD that should realize that you can't worry about the next Lickliter, you have to take risks. You can't look at it and think, we could end up worse. That sets you up for failure. You have to be willing to risk it and go long. And apparently your AD has some deep pocket friends whispering in his ear to keep Fran.

I am an old guy, I know you guys had Lute and Dr. Tom, You have the ability to be so much better. I just don't see that in Fran. Good luck to you.
I want DeVries to be the coach at Iowa, but nobody asked me.

Reactions: DewHawk
Iowa’s best shot SHOULD have been last year, with Luka, Keegan, and Joe as the core. If Fran had played Keegan more, Iowa would/should have been a tough out.

JBo and Connor at guard will not get you very far in the NCAAs. Perkins showed some spark toward the end of the year and in the Big 10 tournament, but still is not a consistent top level guard. So much runs through outstanding guard play and Fran’s specialty is lanky big men.

I would have loved having a wing like Keegan on the Cyclones team this year. We just didn’t have anyone who could score the ball as consistently as he can.

I hope Fran stays at Iowa forever.
Thanks for your concern about Iowa’s coach. Now go back to Lames.

Iowa’s best shot SHOULD have been last year, with Luka, Keegan, and Joe as the core. If Fran had played Keegan more, Iowa would/should have been a tough out.

JBo and Connor at guard will not get you very far in the NCAAs. Perkins showed some spark toward the end of the year and in the Big 10 tournament, but still is not a consistent top level guard. So much runs through outstanding guard play and Fran’s specialty is lanky big men.

I would have loved having a wing like Keegan on the Cyclones team this year. We just didn’t have anyone who could score the ball as consistently as he can.

I hope Fran stays at Iowa forever.
I hope isu keeps Matty Campbell forever as well, he can’t beat the Hawks. But he can get clown fans to puff out their chests over a championship that doesn’t actually exist.

I've told myself all week I wasn't going to pile on Hawk fans. Having suffered thru losing to Hampton + UAB, every Cyclone fan understands what Iowa went thru Thursday vs. Richmond + Sunday vs. Creighton. No question, it sucks.

Like I said in an earlier post, my approach going into the NCAAs was pretty relaxed. Simply happy to be here, not expecting to win either game. With the Miami game one day away, this has changed. Perhaps it is with having more at stake? More than that, I think it is because ISU is
favored vs Miami. I fear the ISU team that scored 36 points earlier this season may appear. It's possible I guess.

Whatever the case, tomorrow night will be awesome! As much as HerkyFan claims to despise ISU, I'm sure he/she will be glued to the TV. IF they win (a big IF), I expect he/she to have some terrific insight (albeit unoriginal) + commentary for all of us.

One will never know if the job isn't open and actively seeking candidates. Coaches jump ship all the time for better opportunities when schools recruit and seek them
TJ did in his first year after a 2-22 season what Fran has never accomplished in his life.
Wouldn't surprise me at this point if ISU made the final four.
Fran has sucked other than the Big Ten Tourney this year. I was thrilled the way we were playing the last 6 weeks.
Then the usual same Ole same Ole smacked me in the mouth.
Fran has had 13 years, he's not the answer.
Jmo
Seriously, you think isu will make the Final 4?

One thing I've learned over the years is to temper my expectations when it comes to my favorite sports teams. I've learned this the hard way (Hampton + UAB come to mind). This year's ISU team has FAR exceeded anyone's expectations. I go back a few months and "hoped" they could be around .500. I was prepared for them to be left out of the NCAAs, given their late slide. When they got in, I forced myself to simply "watch the game" and not get upset if they lost to LSU. Even against Wisky, I didn't expect them to win; I just watched and tried to enjoy the moment. As the stakes get higher, simply watching the game gets more difficult, but I find it more enjoyable and probably healthier. Friday will be a challenge because it appears like a winnable game vs. Miami, but I also recognize that the ISU team that scored 41 points vs Tech could suddenly emerge.

I'm as guilty as anyone of placing too much importance of sports in my life. It's a great diversion from the day to day grind of life (maybe especially true given the two shitty years we have all dealt with). The thing I always try to keep in mind is "how the players + coaches feel" after an unexpected loss to a Richmond or a Creighton. I invested 2+ hours of my life. They have invested much much more. We have zero control over the outcome of any game. They have enormous control, and I'm sure have to deal with a lot of "what ifs". Anyone who has competed in a sport, or coached a team can relate. You can second guess yourself to death.

Finally, the best line I heard over the weekend came from a losing coach. I can't recall who it was or what team they coached. A reporter asked a dumb question about "how difficult this loss will be for them". His response put a lot of this into perspective - paraphrasing here: "this isn't difficult - the people in Ukraine are going through a difficult situation - we will be fine".

Anyway, sorry for the long post. Let's just keep things in perspective. This is a game played by college kids. A game we have no control over. Just try to watch + enjoy. Easier said than done, but it makes it more enjoyable.
Yep, when the season began, I thought Iowa was NIT bound, so they actually exceeded my expectations.

Reactions: Sett1997
and isu is still little brother.
Not in basketball. What's with the crazy , illogical hate for them? You guys attacking them are getting schooled with facts.
I mean it's a game played by people none of us know. Lol
Pretty bad look from our fans.

I've told myself all week I wasn't going to pile on Hawk fans. Having suffered thru losing to Hampton + UAB, every Cyclone fan understands what Iowa went thru Thursday vs. Richmond + Sunday vs. Creighton. No question, it sucks.

Like I said in an earlier post, my approach going into the NCAAs was pretty relaxed. Simply happy to be here, not expecting to win either game. With the Miami game one day away, this has changed. Perhaps it is with having more at stake? More than that, I think it is because ISU is
favored vs Miami. I fear the ISU team that scored 36 points earlier this season may appear. It's possible I guess.

Whatever the case, tomorrow night will be awesome! As much as HerkyFan claims to despise ISU, I'm sure he/she will be glued to the TV. IF they win (a big IF), I expect he/she to have some terrific insight (albeit unoriginal) + commentary for all of us.
Where is isu favored? Last I saw it was Miami at -2.5.

Seriously, you think isu will make the Final 4?
They have a better shot than we do. I wouldn't be upset if they did. I grew up in Iowa, if not the Hawks I'm all in for any of our state teams to win other than against us.
Football, bb, doesn't matter to me.

Reactions: DewHawk
Oh come on, give them some credit. ISU's trajectory looks better at this point.
First year sweet 16.
As far as St Peter's, we probably need to hire their coach. Lol
I'm out, have a nice night guys.
Why is isu’s “trajectory” better than Iowa’s’. Transfer portal can be a flukey/slippery slope, just ask Hoiberg.

Last edited:
A sub 40% conference winning percentage meant Iowa State was basically one wrong committee member away from being a top seed in the NIT.

Agreed that Iowa State has been more successful over the past 20 years. I am envious of their tourney success. But I wouldn’t trade Iowa’s future for Iowa State’s two weeks ago, and two weeks didn’t change things that much.
Iowa's future??? To do what....more first round choke jobs with stationary unathletic recruits??? I'd trade places with Creighton every day of the year and twice on Fridays. Fran is joke!!!

I hate ISU. But past 10 years...20 years..ISU program been far far better..and it isn’t close.

4 Sweet 16’s..4-5 conf tourney titles...Dozen nba players Last 10 years.

40% conf record? Means nothing. Big 12 was the best conference. I can admit that.

Couple lucky wins? Winning in NCAA tourney is damn hard. Match ups and Luck are part of every single game..in any sport.

but past 20 years or so one thing is clear. Guards and defense wins in the NCAA.
Yet, on national scale, the isu basketball program is not perceived as any better than Iowa. How do you like them apples. 😉

I hate ISU. But past 10 years...20 years..ISU program been far far better..and it isn’t close.

4 Sweet 16’s..4-5 conf tourney titles...Dozen nba players Last 10 years.

40% conf record? Means nothing. Big 12 was the best conference. I can admit that.

Couple lucky wins? Winning in NCAA tourney is damn hard. Match ups and Luck are part of every single game..in any sport.

but past 20 years or so one thing is clear. Guards and defense wins in the NCAA.
I don’t believe your first sentence. 😉

Nice , refs interjecting themselves in Arkansas v Gonzaga. 9 fouls to 3.
Pathetic.

I just look forward to ISU being out of the tourney. 😉

Yet, on national scale, the isu basketball program is not perceived as any better than Iowa. How do you like them apples. 😉
I disagree, only thing the nation is talking about is Iowa State right now. If they mention us it's about our choke job year after year.

Iowa's future??? To do what....more first round choke jobs with stationary unathletic recruits??? I'd trade places with Creighton every day of the year and twice on Fridays. Fran is joke!!!
Great...you should become a Creighton fan then. 😉

Reactions: HerkyFan
I disagree, only thing the nation is talking about is Iowa State right now. If they mention us it's about our choke job year after year.
I meant from a year-to-year talking point on college hoops...isu receives no more pub than Iowa. Actually, with the Big 10 Network, the clowns prolly receive less TV exposure. Weren’t a lot of isu games on ESPN+ this season?

Reactions: Sett1997
I meant from a year-to-year talking point on college hoops.. isu receives no more pub than Iowa. Actually, with the Big 10 Network, the clowns prolly receive less TV exposure. Weren’t a lot of isu games on ESPN+ this season?
Agreed.

I meant from a year-to-year talking point on college hoops...isu receives no more pub than Iowa. Actually, with the Big 10 Network, the clowns prolly receive less TV exposure. Weren’t a lot of isu games on ESPN+ this season?
We got tons of exposure, many pundits were expecting us to be in the final four. So disappointing, I thought the way we were playing at least the sweet 16.

Where is isu favored? Last I saw it was Miami at -2.5.
I heard on local CR sports radio show ISU was 1 point favorite. Don't know how accurate that is, or if the line has changed. Whatever the bettors think, it should be a good game!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT