ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa/Wisconsin pbp/discussion

Why do these #s even matter? It’s not like Carver is made up of Iowa City residents. People come from across the state…
Our board is conducting an analysis of the situation, too.

We retained the services of an independent expert sociologist and demographer from the region (let’s call him Dr. Crabs, to protect his anonymity) . . . and he found the exact same flaw in @DonHawkeye ’s study design.

Relating political affiliations of Iowa City residents to those of fans in attendance of a wrestling match in Carver is inadmissible as evidence.

No, not really. It may be very "progressive" for Iowa, but not compared to places like San Francisco, Cambridge, Seattle, Boulder, and Portland. But Iowa City is also not hillbilly central either. I'd say that Iowa City has a nice mix, and like Spencer suggested, there's something there that almost any student would like. For college wrestling fans, it's heaven.
They did take out the new park benches downtown because there was an armrest in the middle. Stopped the homeless from being able to sleep on them. Put new arm rest free ones in. Progressive?

• Haha
Reactions: GoHawks1996
And for what it's worth, I've seen some of our guys stall to ice the win several times this year as well. I mean it's just part of the sport, especially when you're leading in a tight match with under a minute to go. I mean hell, just pick almost any Warner match and you'll see the same stuff Gomez was doing to avoid Turk. When guys wrestle those tight matches and have the lead late they generally go into that defensive stalling-like maneuvering. I just thought Gomez acted out longer than he needed to in order to get his point across....whatever that point was. Clearly I wouldn't be talking too much shit if I'm ranked in the top 10 in the country and barely survived the opponent's 2nd or perhaps 3rd string guy.
He stalled by putting his hands up and running backwards. Brands was doing it after the match. So obvious and should have been called. Stalling is really making the sport unwatchable for some. Officials just refuse to give the point in close matches.

I tried so hard to bring this mess back to PBP mode and failed. I think you are all just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic. I’ll continue to stay focused on wrestling.
Grip, thanks again for the pbp. I am glad we had a nice roll em up type of dual after the gauntlet and before big tens. Like TNT says on the regular, we will put our best team out there for the tournament.

Could the accusation of a slur be true? Absolutely.

Could Gomez or his mom have made up the story? Also, absolutely.

Until it's confirmed by a third party, it's still a 50/50 deal.

But for AG, it can't be fun being on multiple teams that always get curb stomped by the Hawks.

Reactions: DonHawkeye
Could the accusation of a slur be true? Absolutely.

Could Gomez or his mom have made up the story? Also, absolutely.

Until it's confirmed by a third party, it's still a 50/50 deal.

But for AG, it can't be fun being on multiple teams that always get curb stomped by the Hawks.
I see clown fans all up in arms and on their high horse again. They know what happened for sure in Iowa City but insist that what has been documented with the isu student section didn’t actually occur.

Because clown fans say so.

Racist isu students

Last edited:
I see clown fans all up in arms and on their high horse again. They know what happened for sure in Iowa City but insist that whabeen documentwith isu student section didn’t actually occur.

Racist isu students

R1Rvm77.gif

Reactions: HerkyFan
I see clown fans all up in arms and on their high horse again. They know what happened for sure in Iowa City but insist that whabeen documentwith isu student section didn’t actually occur.

Racist isu students
Clone fans are definitely bitter from being beaten so often by Iowa.

They don't even need verification something happened, they just run with any accusation.

BAU for lil bro.

Really? Have you ever been outside of Iowa? Have you visited almost any city in California, or Massachusetts, or Washington, DC? Do you know what liberal means?
Again, I'm not saying it happened, but I'm pretty sure no one here can PROVE it didn't.
I grew up in Iowa and now live in one of those cities in California. I never saw outward public displays of racism in 24 years in Iowa or 6 more in Minnesota. I have lived in California for 3 years and have seen completely reprehensible public racism 4 or 5 times.

It's clear what you are trying to do. IF someone said something like that to the kid, they can go straight to hell. 99.99% of everyone there would condemn it and gladly remove him from the building if they had the choice.

They did take out the new park benches downtown because there was an armrest in the middle. Stopped the homeless from being able to sleep on them. Put new arm rest free ones in. Progressive?
We are way more progressive here in California. We tow their vehicles away and throw away the few things they own and force them to go sleep on a different patch of dirt one block away.

Reactions: el dub
He stalled by putting his hands up and running backwards. Brands was doing it after the match. So obvious and should have been called. Stalling is really making the sport unwatchable for some. Officials just refuse to give the point in close matches.
I agree. I wish the refs would start calling it…consistently. That would force everyone to actually engage the entire 7 minutes.

He is too big for 57. I wasnt thinking Iowa, we got PK manning 65. I was just thinking he looks really good and may want to be on a better team. I bet if he ever hit the portal, PSU would look at him. Maybe Iowa would as a 74 if he could go there.
I think building teams via the portal will be more popular going forward. I’m sure some of these guys are very loyal to their team while others would love to make the jump so they could wrestle for an ncaa championship team.

I think building teams via the portal will be more popular going forward. I’m sure some of these guys are very loyal to their team while others would love to make the jump so they could wrestle for an ncaa championship team.
Not a fan of mercenary lineups and by that I mean constantly getting by with 1 year transfers. The portal should be a last resort to fill holes or get you over the top not a plan IMO. Longer term guys like ADS and Lugo I like better. Eierman is really the only shorter term transfer we have had and we had a big hole. PSU has done a few more short terms, Long got them what they needed and Hildebrandt and Dean filled gaps. Some others didn't pan out as well. A lot easier to plan recruiting than having to pick from a pool of people you are not sure who will be in it.

I had a post saying this, but it was deleted for some reason. I understand there are more progressive cities like Portland, Seattle and San Francisco. I have been to all those places A LOT. Those towns have gone past classical liberalism. I actually think Iowa City is still in the sain liberal zone. Crazy that being an actual liberal, to the true sense of the word, puts you in the center-right now.
Classical British liberalism has always been in the center-right. American liberalism is different.

Not necessarily. That's happening all over the USA.

Austin Gomez's mom saying somebody used a racial slur to justify his actions reminds me of Myles Garrett saying Mason Rudolph called him the n word to justify his actions despite nobody else hearing it

AG acted dooshy walking off the mat for sure, especially after barely escaping with a W against our backup, but if anyone did yell racist slurs at him or his fam that's pathetic and inexcusable.

I’m not saying the racial thing didn’t happen but I watched him walk from the Wisconsin area all the way to the tunnel. He didn’t change his demeanor the entire time. If a racial slur was made he sure didn’t seem to hear it. Most anyone else would have acted differently once it was said.

Eierman can't grip with his left hand. That is why he isn't locking up cradles this year. It is definitely bothering him. Hope it improves over the next month, but I doubt it. If not, it is going to really hurt us on the bonus side come tourney time with him. He is not as dangerous without the cradle threat unfortunately.
Kaleb is looking better each week and will be a tough out for anyone in a month. Have faith! Bull is getting better each week too. Hamiti is a good, quarterfinal match, type guy at NCAA'S and Alex looked in control yesterday against him. Cass is getting better each match as well and can absolutely make the finals with the right seed. Hilger is a low AA caliber guy and he isn't even close to Tony. He is definitely getting more comfortable with his new physique as he gets more matches. We really seem to be building as a team as the season winds down, but must have Drake back and pushing for the podium to get over the hump. Don't hand that trophy to F#n State yet!

Austin Gomez's mom saying somebody used a racial slur to justify his actions reminds me of Myles Garrett saying Mason Rudolph called him the n word to justify his actions despite nobody else hearing it
It's certainly possible that one fan out of 15,500 was an asshole.

If you want to equate a comparison to ISU, where 917 fans attending a dual meet is not out of reality, the chances of this happening in Ames is certainly considerably less likely.

Regarding Clone fans view on the Gomez saga...this just allows them to vent their jealousy and bitterness towards the Iowa program for decades of beatdowns.

Last edited:
I watched him walk from the Wisconsin area all the way to the tunnel. He didn’t change his demeanor the entire time. If a racial slur was made he sure didn’t seem to hear it. Most anyone else would have acted differently once it was said.
If one watches the replay, as discussed on Stalemates, one may see Austin's demeanor change. He abruptly stops walking, turns around, and pauses to look into the crowd just before entering the tunnel.

Based on Coach Brands press conference, there appears to be an acknowledgement that something happened then that no wrestler or his family should experience at CHA.

Last edited:
If one watches the replay, as discussed in Stalemate, one may see Austin's demeanor change. He abruptly stops walking, turns around, and pauses to look into the crowd just before entering the tunnel.

Based on Coach Brands press conference, there appears to be an acknowledgement that something happened then that no wrestler or his family should experience at CHA.
You are making assumptions about AG and about Brands.

Brands did not acknowledge that something racial happened. He acknowledged the atrocity of race based hate and the need to learn from others who may have a different point of view. You should try it sometime. It will be hard because That's not allowed in woke world. The is only one POV that is acceptable to the woke mob-- you are like children having an emotional temper tantrum. You are like bell bottom jeans disco and platform shoes-- history will not be kind to you.

Assume -- ASS U and ME but U are a lot closer to the ASS

thumb_just-because-you-are-right-doesnt-mean-i-am-wrong-19537545.png

Brands did not acknowledge that something racial happened. He acknowledged the atrocity of race based hate and the need to learn from others who may have a different point of view. You should try it sometime. It will be hard because That's not allowed in woke world. The is only one POV that is acceptable to the woke mob-- you are like children having an emotional temper tantrum. You are like bell bottom jeans disco and platform shoes-- history will not be kind to you.

confused-stare-gif-6.gif

I made no assumptions.

I watched the recording of Austin as he left CHA's floor. I was providing a source in case another wished to review to see whether they may have missed something. I also listened to Tom Brands exact words.

Watch and transcribe Tom Brands words at the beginning of the press conference then post them verbatim. Don't limit yourself to the limited part another provided in a Tweet.

Last edited:
I also listened to Tom Brands exact words
My son listened to lecture on Schrodinger's cat and quantum mechanics but it does not mean he understood it.
Oh wait I forgot, you liberal elites know more than everyone else. Vomit.

I’m not saying the racial thing didn’t happen but I watched him walk from the Wisconsin area all the way to the tunnel. He didn’t change his demeanor the entire time. If a racial slur was made he sure didn’t seem to hear it. Most anyone else would have acted differently once it was said.
Others saw the same and interpreted it differently (above). You assumed his demeanor changed because he turned around. Others said it did not. Please tell us what is the one real truth Mr wizard!!

Tell me again about how NIKE wants nothing to do with racial issues? You are struggling with the logic thing. Are you Joe Biden? I did not know he was a wrestling fan.

Reactions: Grip220 and Gobblin
He may take after his old man.

Also, I got an A in quantum mechanics (since you brought it up).
Shucks, that ain’t nothing. I know people who can fix Chevies, Fords and even some of those fancy imports. I don’t think there’s even enough of those Quantum’s around anymore to earn a living fixing just them. So there’s that…

Let me, potentially, end this discussion.

There is video with audio that clearly makes this true. It was shared with UofI, which is why they came out with a statement. I'm assuming they shared it with Tom.

Its an unfortunate incident. Someone got caught up in the moment. It is what it is. I have been told that if that party can be positively identified, the UofI will deal with it.

And, no, I don't have a copy of the video, the party that has the video (it is a news source) felt it was better not to make if public. It happened people.

Mike

And, no, I don't have a copy of the video, the party that has the video (it is a news source) felt it was better not to make if public. It happened people.

Mike
Did you hear it, Mike?

You merely assume Brands heard it?

A news source doesn't think it's best to prove it? Uh huh.

Sounds like the claim George Zimmerman uttered a racial epithet, until, of course, the recording went public.

In other words, it may have happened.

Reactions: Mike Zierath
Did you hear it, Mike?

You merely assume Brands heard it?

A news source doesn't think it's best to prove it? Uh huh.

Sounds like the claim George Zimmerman uttered a racial epithet, until, of course, the recording went public.

In other words, it may have happened.
I haven't. But someone I trust completely has first hand knowledge of it. I spoke to him yesterday.

And, yes, I'm only guessing that Tom heard it based on his comments. They were very well thought out.

And I think we all know why an Iowa news source, with ties to Iowa, might not want to bring up this very touchy subject again, right?

Like I said, its unfortunate, but it happened. It doesn't make every wrestling fan a racist POS. It was a very heated moment in the meet, The Wisconsin athlete was playing to the crowd, one person said something I'm sure they wish they could have back. We all have one of those moments.

Mike

Brands was clear and unequivocal in his press conference that something happened that neither Austin nor his family should've been subjected to.

I believe Coach Brands has earned the right to have his words taken at face value.
I believe something happened to. It's possible multiple horrible things were said. I'd like to know if it was indeed a racial slur. I've heard accusations like these before, and it's not always true when the facts come out.

The problem with face value in this case is that the coach didn't specifically say a racist name was called. Those are deductions made by others when he spoke generally about racial and social injustice.

So you're basically saying the Iowa news source wouldn't want to offend its constituency (much like Nike wouldn't want to offend its sneaker buyers)?

Makes sense to me.
And letting THE vital fact out on this will offend its constituency? I'm not sure about that.

Wow, that's a pathetic constituency.

And letting THE vital fact out on this will offend its constituency? I'm not sure about that.

Wow, that's a pathetic constituency.
Local news agencies may not want to alienate themselves from what they perceive as their constituency. In other words, they may prefer some non-local third party hold up the mirror in order to preserve their self-interests.

I didn't mean to imply that I agree with that approach.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT