ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa/Wisconsin pbp/discussion

Actually, I’ve always liked @sstark46 and wanted to share some perspective from a different vantage point, and I figured he’d be ok with that. I knew others wouldn’t, but that’s nothing new.

I agree Gomez stalled to ice the win.
And for what it's worth, I've seen some of our guys stall to ice the win several times this year as well. I mean it's just part of the sport, especially when you're leading in a tight match with under a minute to go. I mean hell, just pick almost any Warner match and you'll see the same stuff Gomez was doing to avoid Turk. When guys wrestle those tight matches and have the lead late they generally go into that defensive stalling-like maneuvering. I just thought Gomez acted out longer than he needed to in order to get his point across....whatever that point was. Clearly I wouldn't be talking too much shit if I'm ranked in the top 10 in the country and barely survived the opponent's 2nd or perhaps 3rd string guy.

Really? Have you ever been outside of Iowa? Have you visited almost any city in California, or Massachusetts, or Washington, DC? Do you know what liberal means?
Again, I'm not saying it happened, but I'm pretty sure no one here can PROVE it didn't.
I have been to all those places. My question have you been to Iowa City before. From this statement I can tell you haven’t spent much time here.

People like yourself and the Twitterati want to make Iowa City out to be some bum f hillbilly central but Iowa City and the University of Iowa are very progressive.

Slush: I usually agree with much of what you say, but not in this case. If fans don't get so worked up we don't have 14,000 plus filling the seats in CHA. I want the fans to get worked up. Not saying the guy in the front row was correct in delivering the lip service, but damn I love that place!! I wish I could see every dual at CHA and watch those fans get so worked up every time out! :)
My “worked up” comment was meant specifically about that guy and others who allow a sporting event to make them so angry.

Iowa city is up there with one being on of the most liberal towns in America. You yell something like that out you are going to get attacked by other Iowa fans more than any other teams parents
My friend: Have you traveled much? Saying that Iowa City is one of the most liberal towns in America tells me that you haven't seen much of America. Your statement is comparable to saying that San Francisco is a Republican stronghold and that Nancy Pelosi will be the key speaker at the next Republican National Convention. You're killing me!!

For clarification, CHA holds more than 15K right? So it's pretty big; and loud, I'm told. But you've never heard a racial slur so that proves Gomez is fabricating this story? OK, how much do those suites go for?
I’ve been going to Iowa duals and Nationals for many years and can’t recall hearing racial slurs. Does it happen in wrestling, it probably does.
This is turning into a tennis match, which has no end in sight, I am ready to see it end.

I’m not saying I doubt this accusation, but I know there have been things like this that later proved to be nothing. And I’m not saying Gomez is lying either. I don’t know how you could have heard anything accurately from the stands walking on or walking off. I’d believe it if I heard other fans corroborate it.

I think a couple things cause Jesse to not let it fly: He doesn't have that many offensive moves and he relies on slide-bys/reshots(a la Warner), and he's lacking to horsepower to move guys around enough to make moves like slide bys work.

One thing I know 100% percent for certain is that TnT are not sending him out there with a message of "be on the defense, don't get bonused".
If that's the case, and TNT are not giving him special instructions then he has nothing to lose. He can gain valuable experience from what he tries and fails at vice what he never tries at all. He needs to let it fly!

And for what it's worth, I've seen some of our guys stall to ice the win several times this year as well. I mean it's just part of the sport, especially when you're leading in a tight match with under a minute to go. I mean hell, just pick almost any Warner match and you'll see the same stuff Gomez was doing to avoid Turk. When guys wrestle those tight matches and have the lead late they generally go into that defensive stalling-like maneuvering. I just thought Gomez acted out longer than he needed to in order to get his point across....whatever that point was. Clearly I wouldn't be talking too much shit if I'm ranked in the top 10 in the country and barely survived the opponent's 2nd or perhaps 3rd string guy.
Yeah, almost everyone does it. And everyone knows they will. Gotta assume that’s coming in the last 0:20-0:30.

Reactions: Nashville_Hawkeye
I have been to all those places. My question have you been to Iowa City before. From this statement I can tell you haven’t spent much time here.

People like yourself and the Twitterati want to make Iowa City out to be some bum f hillbilly central but Iowa City and the University of Iowa are very progressive.
Never visited but do know that less than 3% of the population of Iowa City identifies as "other" races - not white, black or Asian - so that could include Hispanic or Latino peoples. Not exactly huge representation of Mr. Gomez's demographic.
I never said hillbilly but rather hinted at a lack of racial diversity, which, again, for Hispanic/Latino peoples, certainly seems to be the case.

Reactions: PSUer1989
I’m not saying I doubt this accusation, but I know there have been things like this that later proved to be nothing. And I’m not saying Gomez is lying either. I don’t know how you could have heard anything accurately from the stands walking on or walking off. I’d believe it if I heard other fans corroborate it.
Hard to rely on "other fans" to corroborate this story when just one week ago no one could seem to identify who threw the water bottle at Starocci...

Ok give it a rest. It’s time for you to go back to your home in Nitty Land. Nighty night. It’s been real and it’s been fun, but it ain’t been real fun.
Here's one thing the 2 of us can agree on (I think). Perhaps Gomez was called a racial slur or perhaps he made it up, but the possibility exists that it could have happened. Anyone saying it absolutely, positively, 100% couldn't happen is full of $hit. Agree?

Here's one thing the 2 of us can agree on (I think). Perhaps Gomez was called a racial slur or perhaps he made it up, but the possibility exists that it could have happened. Anyone saying it absolutely, positively, 100% couldn't happen is full of $hit. Agree?
Yes, Anything can happen at any given time. Sweet dreams.

Reactions: Gobblin
Never visited but do know that less than 3% of the population of Iowa City identifies as "other" races - not white, black or Asian - so that could include Hispanic or Latino peoples. Not exactly huge representation of Mr. Gomez's demographic.
I never said hillbilly but rather hinted at a lack of racial diversity, which, again, for Hispanic/Latino peoples, certainly seems to be the case.

And the possibility exists that it might not have happened, in which case I'm wondering why were talking about it. Just like the "water bottle" incident, if you weren't there you really don't know what happened. :)

There's two things everyone on this forum can agree on.

1: It's nigh on impossible to distinguish a single solitary word in the midst of 14,000 screaming fans inside CHA. It's entirely possible she either misheard or she heard exactly what she wanted to hear.

2: You're acting like a bitch.

Anyone that produces a kid that acts like that would not surprise me at all if they made this up.
A few years ago when ISU was in Carver Gomez dad moved down behind their bench. He was such a belligerent asshole that several Hawkeye fans moved from their seats. It was inexcusable that security didn't remove the dbag. I wouldn't believe anything that family puts out there.

I’ve been going to Iowa duals and Nationals for many years and can’t recall hearing racial slurs. Does it happen in wrestling, it probably does.
This is turning into a tennis match, which has no end in sight, I am ready to see it end.
It won't end until people realize okinturd is an Iowa hating troll.

For the record I think it's great that Austin egged on the crowd, and I think it's great the crowd boo'd him out of the arena. It's good entertainment. It's too bad trashy parents try to paint a different picture of what happened.

A few years ago when ISU was in Carver Gomez dad moved down behind their bench. He was such a belligerent asshole that several Hawkeye fans moved from their seats. It was inexcusable that security didn't remove the dbag. I wouldn't believe anything that family puts out there.
They seem like attention whores and attention whores make shit up. It is what they do. Attention whores also usually know what other people pay attention to. This is all too on point and not really that likely. If Austin heard that so did the whole scoring table which I am sure at least a few of them would not take kindly to such a thing.

Reactions: Gobblin
He was definitely struggling with some aspect on that left hand. At first, I thought he was just messing with the wrap. But later, it was obvious that he was experiencing discomfort. He was wrestling with one arm for a while in that match.

Mike
He stopped and shook it at one point definiely in pain. Never used it to grip the entire match. Tough to heal a hand injury at this point. Hoping for him but definitely a problem.

Reactions: Grip220
Gomez has the same after match actions as your little Punk RBY. They both stalled their ass off and snuck out a slim victory.
You like trying to get us upset because you know we don’t put up with stalling. That’s ok though, We just smile every time we walk by Gable’s statue.
I’ll try to keep this thread to a wrestling converstation, however I don’t feel that’s likely To continue. Someone needs to help me with the comment above because this always seems like sour grapes after my wrestler has lost. It doesn’t make a difference if it’s Iowa, or Penn State, or Wisconsin. The reality is that any wrestler up by in a tough match up by a point or two with less than a minute or so to go is going to go defensive. They’re going to stall and block shots. That’s what most do. very few keep attacking in that situation. The guys who keep attacking in that situation are the ones that are up by three points and have nothing to lose. But if you’re up by a point or two you play it smart and you sneak out of there with a slim victory against a tough, worthy opponent. That’s what you do. And it doesn’t matter if you’re Iowa, Penn State or anyone else.

Someone needs to help me here because this always seems like sour grapes after my wrestler has lost. It doesn’t make a difference if it’s Iowa, or Penn State, or Wisconsin. The reality is that any wrestler up by in a tough match up by a point or two with less than a minute ago is going to go defensive. They’re going to stall and block shots. That’s what we all would do. very few keep attacking in that situation. The guys who keep attacking in that situation are the ones that are up by three points and have nothing to lose. But if you’re up by a point or two you play it smart and you sneak out of there with a slim victory against a tough, worthy opponent. That’s what you do. And it doesn’t matter if you’re Iowa, Penn State or anyone else.
I think it just comes down to the crowd trying to shame the wrestling into a bad shot or the ref into a stall call. It is also fun to do. It is what you want your home crowd to do.

just like people yelling stalling in the stands. Or TWWOOO It is fun. It is like the Iranian horns.

Anyone that produces a kid that acts like that would not surprise me at all if they made this up.
giphy.gif

Like perhaps to Iowa at 157? LOL!
He is too big for 57. I wasnt thinking Iowa, we got PK manning 65. I was just thinking he looks really good and may want to be on a better team. I bet if he ever hit the portal, PSU would look at him. Maybe Iowa would as a 74 if he could go there.

I would bet anything that guy was laughing with his buddies 5 seconds after Gomez entered the tunnel. I'm starting to think you're more carp than bullhead.
Sounds like you know the guy. Interesting. 🤨

And no, that guy is carp. I’m more pickerel.

This’s false. Might be true for the state but not Iowa City. White 78.5%, Black 8.28%, Asian 7.3, other 2.76%, 2 or more races 2.74. Plus the white population is quite liberal. I have lived here my whole life so I should know (and yes I have traveled so I have seen other demographics). Hoping the racial statement didn’t occur but if it did I can assure you there would be verbal reprimands from other Hawk fans. Iowa City is far from Hicksville.

Last edited:
PSUer1989: You are correct. And I’m not saying it didn’t occur, just that it wouldn’t be tolerated by other fans. I know I would have told the fan off. Also I was saying Iowa City’s racial makeup is vastly different then the rest of the state, and the people that I know personally who go to the meets are not people who tolerate that kind of behavior.

No we don’t agree. Anyone that says otherwise doesn’t acknowledge history or wants proof

This’s false. Might be true for the state but not Iowa City. White 78.5%, Black 8.28%, Asian 7.3, other 2.76%, 2 or more races 2.74. Plus the white population is quite liberal. I have lived here my whole life so I should know (and yes I have traveled so I have seen other demographics). Hoping the racial statement didn’t occur but if it did I can assure you there would be verbal reprimands from other Hawk fans. Iowa City is far from Hicksville.
Why do these #s even matter? It’s not like Carver is made up of Iowa City residents. People come from across the state…

No, not really. It may be very "progressive" for Iowa, but not compared to places like San Francisco, Cambridge, Seattle, Boulder, and Portland. But Iowa City is also not hillbilly central either. I'd say that Iowa City has a nice mix, and like Spencer suggested, there's something there that almost any student would like. For college wrestling fans, it's heaven.

Reactions: Inthecircle
No, not really. It may be very "progressive" for Iowa, but not compared to places like San Francisco, Cambridge, Seattle, Boulder, and Portland. But Iowa City is also not hillbilly central either. I'd say that Iowa City has a nice mix, and like Spencer suggested, there's something there that almost any student would like. For college wrestling fans, it's heaven.
I had a post saying this, but it was deleted for some reason. I understand there are more progressive cities like Portland, Seattle and San Francisco. I have been to all those places A LOT. Those towns have gone past classical liberalism. I actually think Iowa City is still in the sain liberal zone. Crazy that being an actual liberal, to the true sense of the word, puts you in the center-right now.

• Haha
Reactions: Inthecircle
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT